PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic: 'New diet helping me win'

04-26-2011, 02:52 AM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26042011/58/djokovic-new-diet-helping-win.html?page=2&order=date#coA change of diet has played a major role in Novak Djokovic's unbeaten run this year, the world number two said after receiving a hero's welcome from fans in his home town.

The 23-year-old Serb, who has won 24 straight matches to land the Australian Open and Dubai Championship titles and Masters Series events in Miami and Indian Wells, said a doctor who joined his team eight months ago had improved his fitness.

"His name is Igor Cetojevic, he is a nutritionist and he's done a great job in changing my diet after we established I am allergic to some food ingredients like gluten," Djokovic said on the opening day of the Serbia Open.

"It means I can't eat stuff like pizza, pasta and bread. I have lost some weight but it's only helped me because my movement is much sharper now and I feel great physically.

Zildite
04-26-2011, 03:15 AM
Novak, sickness of the GLUTEN ALLERGY, before 2011. After the sickness. Novak always becomes in a slump. Love Novak? :confused::confused::confused:

cocolate
04-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Novak became the sickness of the gluten, still always love nole.

JohnnyCracker
04-26-2011, 06:20 AM
slump love Novak of gluten sickness always before and after

MichaelNadal
04-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Novak, sickness of the GLUTEN ALLERGY, before 2011. After the sickness. Novak always becomes in a slump. Love Novak? :confused::confused::confused:

Still, always love Novak :D

Murrayfan31
04-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Yep now that Novak is in shape, Nadal will no longer be number 1. Bye bye.

WinNCash
04-26-2011, 07:37 AM
This would explain a lot of the problems he had before. I bet he feels much better in general.

Murrayfan31
04-26-2011, 07:44 AM
No pasta or bread though. That's a tough one.

namelessone
04-26-2011, 08:12 AM

How can he make it without carbs? :-?

jdubbs
04-26-2011, 08:20 AM
gluten free, pure class, love Novak

TennisandMusic
04-26-2011, 08:22 AM

Carbs in grain form are pretty useless. They break down into sugar in your body. In fact, I've long thought this was one of Nadal's problems as he is a major sugar addict and gets all of these joint problems (and early hair loss is associated with insulin resistance which coincides with heavy carb intake). He's stated he believes you can eat whatever you want and be fine, which is the farthest thing from the truth. Look up things like the paleolithic diet etc.

So it looks like Djokovic has wisened up. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he dominates 2011 now. Seriously.

Also, once you stop eating things like bread and pizza, after awhile not only do you not miss it, but it starts sounding kind of gross.

eidolonshinobi
04-26-2011, 08:24 AM

lol you can have carbs but they'd have to be gluten free.

Bartelby
04-26-2011, 08:24 AM
What about spelt bread and pasta? Very nutty and all right for most gluten intolerant.

Fee
04-26-2011, 08:39 AM
The paleo/caveman/hunter-gatherer diet is pretty limited and not for everyone but you can lose a lot of weight on it in the first month or so. I just have a hard time with diets that say that so many things that grow in the ground are bad. Over processing is bad, but sorry, I don't see how potatoes, corn, beans, and grains are inherently bad if you aren't allergic to them.

montrealforum
04-26-2011, 08:40 AM
what is gluten?

Fee
04-26-2011, 09:02 AM
what is gluten?

a component of wheat would be my short answer, but that is probably not entirely correct so I would say google it for accuracy. :)

GasquetGOAT
04-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Federer should do a test to see if hes allergic to gluten as well. Maybe he will dominate 2012 if he cuts gluten.

babbette
04-26-2011, 09:40 AM
I figured as much.In the Djokovic news thread I did say he looked leaner.

Lsmkenpo
04-26-2011, 09:47 AM
I don't buy it, there are things a doctor can give you and help monitor to increase performance and stamina so suddenly.

But it isn't some simple change in diet, nor would you need the doctor to travel around with you to do that.

No carb diet!!! LMAO

hacker_101
04-26-2011, 09:47 AM
He seems to have celiac disease.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

Common among Europeans.

My friend had it. He had severe stomach pains everytime he ate something with gluten.

He could eat pasta but only pasta made out of rice.
He couldn't eat pasta made from wheat.
He also couldn't drink beer because of the yeast so he drank potato vodka instead.
Very surprising this problem wasn't found sooner for Novak.

jgriff
04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Just saw this today. My entire family are gluten intolerant and the most common symptoms are fatigue, weight gain and along with many others. I can definitely believe this story because once you've basically detoxed and changed the diet, you feel 100 times better. Djokovic is my 7-yr old son's favorite player and will be great to have someone to look up to with the same dietary issue he has. It affects 1 in 133 people out there.

jgriff
04-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't buy it, there are things a doctor can give you and help monitor to increase performance and stamina so suddenly.

But it isn't some simple change in diet, nor would you need the doctor to travel around with you to do that.

No carb diet!!! LMAO

yea, sorry guy, but you're totally wrong. not trying to be curt about it, but if you've got celiac disease or gluten intolerant, its not a passing fad. the only treatment is to change your diet and not a prescription. there are many gluten free products out there that replace the wheat with other flours. and therefore carbs.

Boricua
04-26-2011, 09:53 AM

There are substitutes for regular wheat bread, for instance potato bread, which is gluten free. Also there is gluten free pasta.:)

dominikk1985
04-26-2011, 09:56 AM
I think it's not so much the gluten but more the stopping of eating crap that made him better.

too many pro athletes still eat crap like fries, pizza or hamburgers.

jgriff
04-26-2011, 09:57 AM
There are substitutes for regular wheat bread, for instance potato bread, which is gluten free. Also there is gluten free pasta.:)

and Redbridge Beer that's made by Anheuser. there are a couple of other brands out there like Bards, but Redbridge is the best. i had some friends over that can drink regular beer and they raved about it.

Lsmkenpo
04-26-2011, 10:00 AM
yea, sorry guy, but you're totally wrong. not trying to be curt about it, but if you've got celiac disease or gluten intolerant, its not a passing fad. the only treatment is to change your diet and not a prescription. there are many gluten free products out there that replace the wheat with other flours. and therefore carbs.

I am not saying he doesn't have some type of food allergy, that wasn't my point.

I suspect there is a little more to the sudden performance gain than just a change in diet. You don't need a doctor traveling around with you everywhere for just a diet plan.

dmt
04-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Yep now that Novak is in shape, Nadal will no longer be number 1. Bye bye.

lets see novak win a slam outside of hardcourts, then these predictions might make sense. These are just silly excuses from you to diminish nadals accomplishments.

jackson vile
04-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Gluten is the new tennis GOAT, DEAL WITH IT!

Pozarevacka
04-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Are you a moron? Carbs turn into sugar in your blood. This causes things like high blood pressure and diabetes. It also weighs you down. Protein is much better.

Bhagi Katbamna
04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm surprised. Novak is 6'3", most people with Celiac Sprue are short and can't gain weight.

Pozarevacka
04-26-2011, 10:07 AM

No carb diet!!! LMAO

You're an idiot. Maybe if your fat as s went on a diet you would realize it.

TennisFan3
04-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Is Nadal taking notes of this?

Djokovic is getting faster/fitter by eating well using the latest advances in medical science.

Nadal, OTOH, seems to be getting slower and bulkier. I think Rafa needs to lose a few pounds before RG/Wimb.. That should protect his knees too.

babbette
04-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Is Nadal taking notes of this?

Djokovic is getting faster/fitter by eating well using the latest advances in medical science.

Nadal, OTOH, seems to be getting slower and bulkier. I think Rafa needs to lose a few pounds before RG/Wimb.. That should protect his knees too.

And have him abandon his precious quelys biscuits? :shock:

Lsmkenpo
04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
You're an idiot. Maybe if your fat as s went on a diet you would realize it.

If I went on a diet I wouldn't need a full time doctor to travel with me to do it, your an ignorant fool, if you buy into this spin.

Lsmkenpo
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Are you a moron? Carbs turn into sugar in your blood. This causes things like high blood pressure and diabetes. It also weighs you down. Protein is much better.

Congratulations, we have a new category of **** now, a Diet-****.

Someone who gets bent out of shape over a diet plan, LMFAO.

CDestroyer
04-26-2011, 10:26 AM
The paleo/caveman/hunter-gatherer diet is pretty limited and not for everyone but you can lose a lot of weight on it in the first month or so. I just have a hard time with diets that say that so many things that grow in the ground are bad. Over processing is bad, but sorry, I don't see how potatoes, corn, beans, and grains are inherently bad if you aren't allergic to them.

White potatoes are devastating to your body. They cause a massive spike in your blood sugar levels that can lead to diabetes over time.

Lemoned
04-26-2011, 10:45 AM
I am not saying he doesn't have some type of food allergy, that wasn't my point.

I suspect there is a little more to the sudden performance gain than just a change in diet. You don't need a doctor traveling around with you everywhere for just a diet plan.
That's not what he said?

"A lot of people have been guessing and speculating what the secret formula of my good form was but there is no secret, it's just that all the pieces have fallen into place after years of hard work and we are now reaping the rewards," added Djokovic.

The Serb paid tribute to his entire support staff, saying it was their hard work that had made him the player he is.

"I have a great team of people around me," he said. "I have unreserved faith in their instructions and trust them completely.

"I have also matured as a player and a person. I feel more confident and more consistent than ever because I am capable of holding my own against the world's best players under any circumstances.

"That wasn't the case earlier ... whenever I needed to be consistent against (Roger) Federer and (Rafa) Nadal in the latter stages of grand slam events I was unable to stay psychologically balanced and confident."

It's understandable people give more attention to his diet change than anything he said, as it sounds more sensational.

jgriff
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm surprised. Novak is 6'3", most people with Celiac Sprue are short and can't gain weight.

for folks diagnosed with celiac that is a pretty common trait, but there are people who are gluten intolerant and with the diet change feel much, much better. in the last few years, researchers have determined that you can be intolerant and not have celiac. doesn't sound like djokovic does have celiac. my family does. i agree with a poster above, people are focussing on the diet, but i suspect it's a sea change. he's finally devoted himself 100% and the diet is a fraction of it, but he's finally living up to that potential most people knew he had. wasn't too long ago where he'd just check out and go away in a match (last year's Wimbledon). it's a different guy out there @ Indian Wells and Miami. he has the belief and it will be interesting to see how he does on the dirt. i think he's got a legitimate shot at the top spot. time will tell. i think this is a good lesson for the up and coming junior players. you may have the game, but if you don't devote yourself and put in the hard yards and live/eat healthy you're not going to break through. mardy fish is another prime example.

marc45
04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
What about spelt bread and pasta? Very nutty and all right for most gluten intolerant.i go to health food stores and the organic section of the supermarket and there's more and more non-gluten bread products

TennezSport
04-26-2011, 11:28 AM
If I went on a diet I wouldn't need a full time doctor to travel with me to do it, your an ignorant fool, if you buy into this spin.

While I agree with you that diet alone was not the entire cause of his speedy improvement, it can play a major part. Lendl used to have his blood tested monthly to find out where he was deficient at for maximum performance. He would then have his chef prepare the required meals to bolster any missing nutrients.

Some foods or food combinations can actually impeed performance if they don't agree with your system. Once you eliminate the culprits, you will perform better very quickly. Add that you better practice and renewed confidence and you can have a substantial gain in overall performance.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

sureshs
04-26-2011, 11:36 AM

Did you know that excess protein is stored as fat?

JoelDali
04-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Fair breasted Novak Chia Headed Serbian man of God bathes forth in a bath of Pizza Hot Pockets shaped and formed by Mirka herself high on the mountain tops of Basel laying near the streams of Love and of Life she preps and cooks the Pizza Pockets for her GOAT lover and Chia headed pet Nolay pure Pizza Hot Pocket classy and glutton free nothing but love for Rogi and nothing but like for Nolay.

Pozarevacka
04-26-2011, 11:51 AM

Quit being a flamer. Carbs (sugar) are worthless.

namelessone
04-26-2011, 12:04 PM

Look at what most athletes eat before a sporting event.

Some form of pasta,fish or a combo are very common.

But hey, what do those nutritionists know. Pozarevacka knows best.

li0scc0
04-26-2011, 12:08 PM

They aren't bad for you.
Paleo is a nice diet. It is a great way to control caloric intake.
Traditional high carb, low protein, low fat diets can work wonders too, provided the person controls caloric intake.

li0scc0
04-26-2011, 12:14 PM

No, they are not worthless.

Carbs are far more important than protein. The brain functions on carbohydrate. Ever tried no carb diets? What is the first thing that happens? Mental acuity goes out the window....you cannot think straight.

Excess CALORIES are stored as fat. If those excess calories come from protein, they will be stored as fat. If those calories come from fat or carbs, they will be stored as fat.
Protein requirements are very minimal. Most endurance athletes consume mostly carbohydrate. The amount of protein consumed is small. Why? Because the amount of protein required is small.

It is very easy for an athlete to function and perform eating a diet with no more than 15% of caloric intake from protein.
It is very difficult for an athlete to function and perform eating a diet with no more than 15% of caloric intake from carbohydate.

ivan_the_terrible
04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Is this life-threatening? Or just a simple matter of affecting his performances in a few Grand Slams here and there?

spacediver
04-26-2011, 12:21 PM
This is my understanding:

there's a difference between sugar and glucose. Sugar (also called sucrose) is half glucose and half fructose. Without glucose, we'd die. Many foods eventually break down into glucose.

Fructose can be a problem, however.

Here's a great read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Lemoned
04-26-2011, 12:22 PM
So, problems solved then for Nole.

His narrowed nasal passages? Check! - rectified by gouging out some cartilage

Allergies? Check! - new diet took care of his gluten issue

Mental issues? Check! Cured by his psychological guru

Knee issues? (who knew) - on the 'todo' list - I assume will be handled by Rafa's doctor's patented PRP treatments.

Did I miss anything?
Is this life-threatening? Or just a simple matter of affecting his performances in a few Grand Slams here and there?
You're just trying way too hard. :roll: Good for you if you haven't suffered from any kind of disease in your life, but that doesn't mean these comments can be less offensive.

TennisFan3
04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
And have him abandon his precious quelys biscuits? :shock:

Yep, he will have to give up the biscuits and make other sacrifices if he wants to be in the top 2 tiers of potential GOATs.

That said, I was also thinking Nadal must be suffering from some lack of motivation. He's already been on the tour for 9 yrs, won tons of money (2nd only to Fed) and LOTS of career titles. So who gives a flying f*** about the no of slams.

I mean, I don't see the same kind of intensity/urgency/motivation from Nadal these days, that I used to see in 2008, AO 2009 etc. If he did, he would still find a way to win.

Although to be fair, one can hardly blame him, coz historically this is common among teenage prodigies..

namelessone
04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Yep, he will have to give up the biscuits and make other sacrifices if he wants to be in the top 2 tiers of potential GOATs.

That said, I was also thinking Nadal must be suffering from some lack of motivation. He's already been on the tour for 9 yrs, won tons of money (2nd only to Fed) and LOTS of career titles. So who gives a flying f*** about the no of slams.

I mean, I don't see the same kind of intensity/urgency/motivation from Nadal these days, that I used to see in 2008, AO 2009 etc. If he did, he would still find a way to win.

Although to be fair, one can hardly blame him, coz historically this is common among teenage prodigies..

Good post.

IMO Nadal has matured. You can see that he is a bit jaded. Not just on clay. Elsewhere too. I think the grind of the tour has finally got to him motivation wise. A part of him still wants to win but with all the history he has on tour, he does not give 100% anymore. Not to mention that he is talking more on court(something which he rarely did), being more anxious/nervous and generally having either a meh/****ed off attitude. Don't see the same focus from him anymore but I suppose it's normal.

People look at Nadal's age but they forget that Borg was about the same age when he retired from tennis and that Nadal has been a top 2 player for SIX YEARS RUNNING. This is the point where things start to go down and your challenge as a player is too try to prolong this good period as far as your body and skill can take you.

The only motivation I see for Rafa is beating Borg's RG record. Maybe give WTF another go. Other than that, he can't do much more on tour.

Maybe win the fifth slam :)

gsharma
04-26-2011, 12:45 PM

Did you read this month's free Tennis magazine? You must have ;-)

The process of converting protein to glucose (or fat) is very energy intensive. It's very hard to get fat from a high-protein intake.

billnepill
04-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Good post.

IMO Nadal has matured. You can see that he is a bit jaded. Not just on clay. Elsewhere too. I think the grind of the tour has finally got to him motivation wise. A part of him still wants to win but with all the history he has on tour, he does not give 100% anymore. Not to mention that he is talking more on court(something which he rarely did), being more anxious/nervous and generally having either a meh/****ed off attitude. Don't see the same focus from him anymore but I suppose it's normal.

People look at Nadal's age but they forget that Borg was about the same age when he retired from tennis and that Nadal has been a top 2 player for SIX YEARS RUNNING. This is the point where things start to go down and your challenge as a player is too try to prolong this good period as far as your body and skill can take you.

The only motivation I see for Rafa is beating Borg's RG record. Maybe give WTF another go. Other than that, he can't do much more on tour.

I think Nadal is more ambitious than that. He still has 9 Slams and I'm sure he wants to reach Fed's number of GS. If he does, people will generally consider him greatest of all time. Simple as that. While you may argue that he is not motivated by such things based on what he said over the years, you can't that seriously, can you?

We have all discussed before Nadal's tendencies to like more the underdog role and I think the pressure of being number one causes his changed behavior - as you described "being more anxious/nervous and generally having either a meh/****ed off attitude."

In short, he is still motivated to win AS MUCH AS HE CAN.

sureshs
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Did you read this month's free Tennis magazine? You must have ;-)

The process of converting protein to glucose (or fat) is very energy intensive. It's very hard to get fat from a high-protein intake.

YES!

You spotted it very quick.

According to the article, protein not needed for the body appears as fat. It is one of the myths debunked there.

li0scc0
04-26-2011, 01:14 PM

No. It is very easy. Ask any wanna-be bodybuilder who consumed 400 grams of lean protein daily, and gains 40 pounds of fat and sees his waist go from 32 to 38 in the first 2 months.

However, it IS very hard to get energy from protein. Carbs are better for that.
:)

TennisFan3
04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I think Nadal is more ambitious than that. He still has 9 Slams and I'm sure he wants to reach Fed's number of GS. If he does, people will generally consider him greatest of all time. Simple as that. While you may argue that he is not motivated by such things based on what he said over the years, you can't that seriously, can you?

We have all discussed before Nadal's tendencies to like more the underdog role and I think the pressure of being number one causes his changed behavior - as you described "being more anxious/nervous and generally having either a meh/****ed off attitude."

As much as I like Nadal, I'm quite sure that he won't reach anywhere close to Fed's slam number. Hell, he probably won't even match Sampras' 14. Most likely end up with something akin to Borg. Not to mention that he is feeling the grind of 9 yrs in tour, and whatever the motivation, he's gotta be exhausted (and approaching burnout).

The thing is he doesn't have the one track minded, slams only focus, that Sampras and Fed had. They made tons of sacrifices to achieve what they did. Which included a compressed schedule, skipping DC, exhos and totally restricting other off court activities. While Nadal plays like there is no tomorrow.

Plus (especially for Fed) they were also lucky with their rival waning and the competition weakening in general. With Nadal it's the opposite, the competition is getting better as he is aging. Guys like Djokovic, Del Potro and Murray are entering their prime and there are many newer threats on the horizon. So the task is increasingly becoming harder, and every slam henceforth will be much more difficult to achieve than the last.

Perhaps the most important reason is that Nadal's camp approach is much more short term. Meaning strike while the iron is hot, who knows how long this lasts. That's why they sound humble, coz they are realists/pragmatists. So when Nadal says, I can never be as good as Fed and he is the best in history, you better believe it. And the problem with that is that to be the best ever, you have to think big.

gsharma
04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
No. It is very easy. Ask any wanna-be bodybuilder who consumed 400 grams of lean protein daily, and gains 40 pounds of fat and sees his waist go from 32 to 38 in the first 2 months.

However, it IS very hard to get energy from protein. Carbs are better for that.

Umm, not really. First of all, any bodybuilder on a bulking cycle is not just consuming protein. He is consuming lots of carbs and fat as well.

Secondly, unless you are pounding protein shakes all day, it is VERY hard to get 400 grams of LEAN protein.

So, I maintain that getting fat from excess protein is very hard just because of the logistics.

cc0509
04-26-2011, 02:56 PM

How do any of us actually KNOW this? Nadal may be super motivated to beat Federer's slam record or he may not. None of us know this. He may just drop out unexpectedly in a year or so, or he may play until he is 35. We just don't know and probably neither does he right now. Being on the tour for so long has to be very draining mentally and physically and sometimes no matter how motivated one is, one may just decide he/she has had enough.

Pwned
04-26-2011, 03:00 PM

No carb diet!!! LMAO

? Diet is one of the most important things to a top level athlete.

Pwned
04-26-2011, 03:01 PM
No, they are not worthless.

Carbs are far more important than protein. The brain functions on carbohydrate. Ever tried no carb diets? What is the first thing that happens? Mental acuity goes out the window....you cannot think straight.

Excess CALORIES are stored as fat. If those excess calories come from protein, they will be stored as fat. If those calories come from fat or carbs, they will be stored as fat.
Protein requirements are very minimal. Most endurance athletes consume mostly carbohydrate. The amount of protein consumed is small. Why? Because the amount of protein required is small.

It is very easy for an athlete to function and perform eating a diet with no more than 15% of caloric intake from protein.
It is very difficult for an athlete to function and perform eating a diet with no more than 15% of caloric intake from carbohydate.

You can live without carbs. You cannot live without protein. Your body is capable of converting protein to carb substitutes.

Bobby Jr
04-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Here we call Gluten intolerance wheat aids. :lol: Every darn cafe you go into has gluten free *everything*. So much so I make the point of asking if they have anything with gluten in it.

Must be some merit in it though, I just hate having it rammed down my throat by it's dedicated followers. They're no different to Landmark Forum or Amway flacks.

Duke_Grievousangel
04-26-2011, 03:33 PM

It's true that carbohydrate restriction is medical go-to intervention for diabetics, and yes, cutting back on carbs is probably a good thing overall. But diabetes and other chronic diseases result from sustained elevated glucose and insulin levels in the body over the course of YEARS.

But more importantly, you guys are trying to apply dietary recommendations for the general public to professional athletes. In case you haven't noticed, the obesity crisis hasn't really impacted this particular population! They use TREMENDOUS amounts of energy (ever research Michael Phelps's diet, by the way?) and it's not intuitively obvious that the conclusions should be the same.

Is there a "right" diet for them, in general? Maybe. But it's not necessarily true that it should be the same as for the average person on the 2,500 calorie diet.

oy vey
04-26-2011, 04:37 PM
He also had bad diarrhea and had to take a bathroom break during a Tsonga match. Good for him for finally figuring this out.

li0scc0
04-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Umm, not really. First of all, any bodybuilder on a bulking cycle is not just consuming protein. He is consuming lots of carbs and fat as well.

Secondly, unless you are pounding protein shakes all day, it is VERY hard to get 400 grams of LEAN protein.

So, I maintain that getting fat from excess protein is very hard just because of the logistics.

It is simple to get lean protein at 400 grams. Yes, protein shakes. Spend a week with a bodybuilder, and they are consuming 100-200 grams of protein a day with protein shakes. If not more.

I agree that it IS hard to consume a ton of protein. Hence why high protein diets that reduce carbs and fat work...because it is very hard to consume 1000 calories from tuna fish in one sitting. It is very easy to do so with fat or carbs.

but again, if you consume extra calories from protein, it turns into fat.

li0scc0
04-26-2011, 05:04 PM
You can live without carbs. You cannot live without protein. Your body is capable of converting protein to carb substitutes.

We aren't talking about survival, we are talking about functioning as an athlete.
Conversion of protein to energy is highly inefficient. When I raced, I looovved hearing a fellow racer was trying the high protein (paleo is the 'in' term) diet. That meant they were going to be lethargic, slow, and wear out quickly. Us high carb guys could win :)

In all seriousness, with diets, we tend to see things dimly. Truth of the matter is, you need and thus should consume protein, carbs, and fats. Too much protein has many issues, with respect to the kidneys and liver. Too much fat is problematic as well. If i am coaching an endurance athlete who needs 5000 calories daily, the majority should come from carbohydrate. This is for health and performance issues.

Datacipher
04-26-2011, 05:06 PM

You could NEVER EVER be a world-class athlete without carbs. I'm speaking from years and years of training athletes and ordinary people.

I understand what you're saying, but the truth is, no carb diets are very inefficient at providing the glucose you need. In reality, people on low-carb or no-carb diets simply fizzle BADLY when faced with serious training demands....I've seen it happen many times. SAD! LOL! It doesn't last long for the elite athletes....you perform HORRIBLY!!!!

Datacipher
04-26-2011, 05:06 PM
We aren't talking about survival, we are talking about functioning as an athlete.
Conversion of protein to energy is highly inefficient. When I raced, I looovved hearing a fellow racer was trying the high protein (paleo is the 'in' term) diet. That meant they were going to be lethargic, slow, and wear out quickly. Us high carb guys could win :)

LOL. Yes. Just what I was writing at the same time.

Pwned
04-26-2011, 07:45 PM
You could NEVER EVER be a world-class athlete without carbs. I'm speaking from years and years of training athletes and ordinary people.

I understand what you're saying, but the truth is, no carb diets are very inefficient at providing the glucose you need. In reality, people on low-carb or no-carb diets simply fizzle BADLY when faced with serious training demands....I've seen it happen many times. SAD! LOL! It doesn't last long for the elite athletes....you perform HORRIBLY!!!!

What he said was carbs are more important than protein. He didn't say for what. Considering this thread is talking about everything from weight loss diets to bodybuilding - it's not a given what he meant.

Spin Doctor
04-26-2011, 08:17 PM
But more importantly, you guys are trying to apply dietary recommendations for the general public to professional athletes.

Exactly. Some dumbasses on this site clearly have zero knowledge of athletics. If they did, they would know that intake of carbs (and the timing of it) is critical to athletic performance. Sadly, as we can already decipher from so many dumbass postings on this site, most posters here don't even play tennis or even sports in general (other than firing up their Wii in their parent's basement).

Besides, everyone needs carbs for energy. Even those that are trying to lose weight. "Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame".

Sentinel
04-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Look at what most athletes eat before a sporting event.

Some form of pasta,fish or a combo are very common.

But hey, what do those nutritionists know. Pozarevacka knows best.
Gluten intolerance can cause breathing problems such as (similar to) side-stitches. Even deep breathing etc does not relieve this. I am quite surprised this was not caught earlier. And yes, if he is used to a wheat based diet he can lose weight over the next few months. Hopefully, the nutritionist will be able to handle weight loss/ feelings of weakness.
Rice is one alternative, there are lots more if you google "gluten alternatives".

Spin Doctor
04-26-2011, 08:32 PM
I love all things gluten. If a doc ever told me I was allergic I would just ask to be euthanized straight away. No pizza or pasta or beer? Stick a needle in me and be done with it.

PCXL-Fan
04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Rice guys... its what half of the world uses for carbs. Its not hard at all to get your carbs without gluten.

GasquetGOAT
04-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Rice guys... its what half of the world uses for carbs. Its not hard at all to get your carbs without gluten.

Exactly. Rice based carbs got Chinese athletes 51 gold medals at the last Olympics, 15 more than the U.S.:twisted:

Pozarevacka
04-26-2011, 08:46 PM

This is very true. Most people's diets are just awful and full of starch and carbs. There is absolutely no need for excess carbs. Certain foods have carbs naturally, but the glutein foods are not needed. Your digestive system is not made to be able to digest wheat. Everyone has an intolerance to glutein, it's just that everyone does not react the same to it. I am not able to eat glutein and have a glutein/casein free diet. Eat yourself a big pasta meal or whatever garbage you put in your body and I guarantee I will physically destroy you.

These carbs you so love raises your blood sugar level. All these carb junkies here have such poor diets that you are probably borderline diabetic. You need to get your blood sugar level higher otherwise you will probably faint. You guys should get that checked out.

namelessone
04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Your digestive system is not made to be able to digest wheat.

The human digestive system doesn't do so well with meat as well(many experts say that meat shouldn't be more than 10-20% of our diet). Should we all become vegetarians because of this?

Eat yourself a big pasta meal or whatever garbage you put in your body and I guarantee I will physically destroy you.

That garbage has fueled countless great athletic performances over the years.

Here's what I found with a quick google search: In an article titled "Why you should NOT eat pasta", the author says "Pasta isn't so bad if you are a big time runner or other type of athlete, they are actually expending more energy than a normal person would dream of and are not concerned by trying to burn fat tissue and only on their performance. I think a large part of this myth that pasta is okay comes from sports as well but their activity levels are high and one of their requirements is to get energy into their bodies as quickly as required for their purpose."

IMO, as with all other foods and food trends, the problem is not with the food but with the humans. Humans are incredibly greedy and since they follow trends like sheep, they will pig out on one food if it is deemed "healthy" or "in". Then that food will be blamed by some people in the scientific community for this and that and then a new food will be in.

Moderation is the freaking key but very few people seem to get it. Eating a bit of every major food item every day will not make you fat or very unhealthy but eating lots of fatty products with very little vegetables or fruit and being a couch potato will certainly do that. I know lots of people who eat quite irregularly but that burn lots of calories off through exercise and so far none of them have had heart problems,diabetes or cancer.

In the end, eat what's best for your needs.

Datacipher
04-27-2011, 02:13 AM
What he said was carbs are more important than protein. He didn't say for what. Considering this thread is talking about everything from weight loss diets to bodybuilding - it's not a given what he meant.

Well, actually NO. He's been saying much more, and though I replied to his last post, obviously, I was addressing much more, as I made no assertion that carbs were "better" than protein or vice versa:

OH OK! LOL. Well sure.Quit being a flamer. Carbs (sugar) are worthless.

In fact, it is HE who has made blanket statements about protein being better than carbs, I made no such assertion either way. It is he who need specify the scenarios that apply to his statements, if there are such riders.

but SURE...for non-athletic lifestyles, a no-carb diet MIGHT be workable!

Datacipher
04-27-2011, 02:51 AM
This is very true. Most people's diets are just awful and full of starch and carbs. There is absolutely no need for excess carbs.

ROFL. NICE backpeddle. Indeed, there is no need for EXCESS carbs....by definition. There's no need for excess anything. Quite a change from:

[quote=Pozarevacka;5601648]Quit being a flamer. Carbs (sugar) are worthless.

Certain foods have carbs naturally,

Duh.....like MOST of them.

but the glutein foods are not needed. Your digestive system is not made to be able to digest wheat. Everyone has an intolerance to glutein, it's just that everyone does not react the same to it.

This is just pseudoscience gibberish. Nobody can stop you from believing it, but of course, many of us would rather hold our factual statements to a higher standard of scrutiny. In fact, overwhelming experience suggests that the vast majority of people are able to consume gluten with no adverse reactions.

I am not able to eat glutein and have a glutein/casein free diet. Eat yourself a big pasta meal or whatever garbage you put in your body and I guarantee I will physically destroy you.

Well...this is just a laughably childish statement of course. Out of curiosity, which of your interests did you have in mind to destroy us at? Archery, disco-dancing, or table-tennis?

These carbs you so love raises your blood sugar level. All these carb junkies here have such poor diets that you are probably borderline diabetic. You need to get your blood sugar level higher otherwise you will probably faint. You guys should get that checked out.

LOL! An appropriate and very representative ending to your arguments!

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
04-27-2011, 03:07 AM
slump love Novak of gluten sickness always before and after

Novak became the sickness of the gluten, still always love nole.

Why are you all talking in the language of federerbestclass ?

pound cat
04-27-2011, 03:12 AM
What about spelt bread and pasta? Very nutty and all right for most gluten intolerant.

Gluten free breads and pasts are eadily avaiulable,,,lots in natural food stores.

Many many poeple have gluten allergies (gluten is found in wheat and wheat products and are greatly relieved when they finally find the source of their health problems. Search google to find out more,

Djokovic has a smart advisor.

billnepill
04-27-2011, 04:33 AM
How do any of us actually KNOW this? Nadal may be super motivated to beat Federer's slam record or he may not. None of us know this. He may just drop out unexpectedly in a year or so, or he may play until he is 35. We just don't know and probably neither does he right now. Being on the tour for so long has to be very draining mentally and physically and sometimes no matter how motivated one is, one may just decide he/she has had enough.

Yeah, it is cool you bring alternative reasoning to the conversation. Based on the observable evidence (Nadal's tenacity and mentality), however, there is no reason to believe any word of it.

You may be right at the end, but I strongly feel my point of view is stronger atm than "what if he is not super motivated to beat Fed's tally" argument.

He may be "not allowed" to do it with stronger Djokovic on tour or his problematic body, but if he's got a chance, he will try to do it. You'd better believe this guy already with all odds he has beaten so far.

vive le beau jeu !
04-27-2011, 04:45 AM
How do any of us actually KNOW this? Nadal may be super motivated to beat Federer's slam record or he may not. None of us know this. He may just drop out unexpectedly in a year or so, or he may play until he is 35.
i have a slightly huge preference for the first option. in fact, this year/month/week/right now would be even better... :)

Pozarevacka
04-27-2011, 06:22 AM
[quote=Pozarevacka;5602560]This is very true. Most people's diets are just awful and full of starch and carbs. There is absolutely no need for excess carbs.

ROFL. NICE backpeddle. Indeed, there is no need for EXCESS carbs....by definition. There's no need for excess anything. Quite a change from:

Duh.....like MOST of them.

This is just pseudoscience gibberish. Nobody can stop you from believing it, but of course, many of us would rather hold our factual statements to a higher standard of scrutiny. In fact, overwhelming experience suggests that the vast majority of people are able to consume gluten with no adverse reactions.

Well...this is just a laughably childish statement of course. Out of curiosity, which of your interests did you have in mind to destroy us at? Archery, disco-dancing, or table-tennis?

LOL! An appropriate and very representative ending to your arguments!

back peddle? most foods have minor carbs, so i said eating garbage like bread and pasta is worthless. i already know you are some dike who frequents these boards. you do know p ussy does not contain carbs?

Povl Carstensen
04-27-2011, 06:32 AM

No carb diet!!! LMAO
From my experience you are very wrong here. A change in diet, especially when it comes to sugar/processed carbohydrates can give quick and major change in energy level and wellbeing.

lawrence
04-27-2011, 06:35 AM
guy has been a professional athlete for his whole life, has people who's careers are dedicated to focusing on what he eats, and they only just found his gluten sensitivity?

lol

li0scc0
04-27-2011, 07:04 AM

And that half of the world uses rice and vegetable sources for a good portion of their protein intake as well. Very minimal intake of protein, as they are not consuming meat in any great quantity or dairy in any quantity.

Kunohara
04-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Or.

Novak might just be on PEDs.

NamRanger
04-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Carbs in grain form are pretty useless. They break down into sugar in your body. In fact, I've long thought this was one of Nadal's problems as he is a major sugar addict and gets all of these joint problems (and early hair loss is associated with insulin resistance which coincides with heavy carb intake). He's stated he believes you can eat whatever you want and be fine, which is the farthest thing from the truth. Look up things like the paleolithic diet etc.

So it looks like Djokovic has wisened up. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he dominates 2011 now. Seriously.

Also, once you stop eating things like bread and pizza, after awhile not only do you not miss it, but it starts sounding kind of gross.

Ah, a person who has absolute zero idea on diet. It's amazing how much ignorance comes from you.

Yes, a high carb diet can hurt you. However, to say that grains are useless is quite hilarious.

Annika
04-27-2011, 07:46 AM
If you are ever sick, eat lots of protein. Told to me by a pharmacist. :)

ivan_the_terrible
04-27-2011, 08:07 AM
guy has been a professional athlete for his whole life, has people who's careers are dedicated to focusing on what he eats, and they only just found his gluten sensitivity?

lol

It's possible! Many allergies go unnoticed over a period of time. Maybe he needed a smart doc to run theses tests since gluten allergies tend to be lower down the list of maladies.

But I'm no doc, so you can toss my opinion in the bin ;)

li0scc0
04-27-2011, 10:08 AM

If sick, eat only carb sources. Bananas, rice, applesauce (unsweetened), and toast.

jgriff
04-27-2011, 10:41 AM
It's possible! Many allergies go unnoticed over a period of time. Maybe he needed a smart doc to run theses tests since gluten allergies tend to be lower down the list of maladies.

But I'm no doc, so you can toss my opinion in the bin ;)

yea that's true. mine didn't show up til i was in my 30s, but my wife had been diagnosed with celiac disease in her early 20s. frankly, i don't know why it matters. his dietician thought this maybe an issue and they had it checked out. did he have anyone monitoring his diet before? i'm guessing no, but i don't know. can we move on with gluten allergies etc is BS. it's real and not some imaginary affliction. and you can still have bad carbs on a gluten free diet. they've got GF cookies, cakes, pizza, beer, bread, donuts, etc.

Pwned
04-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Well, actually NO. He's been saying much more, and though I replied to his last post, obviously, I was addressing much more, as I made no assertion that carbs were "better" than protein or vice versa:

OH OK! LOL. Well sure.

In fact, it is HE who has made blanket statements about protein being better than carbs, I made no such assertion either way. It is he who need specify the scenarios that apply to his statements, if there are such riders.

but SURE...for non-athletic lifestyles, a no-carb diet MIGHT be workable!
wtf are you even arguing? I responded to him saying carbs were more important than protein. He didn't say for what. And I doubt you've trained anyone. You sound like an idiot.

DjokerIsTheBest
04-27-2011, 04:56 PM
I only eat fat.

ALL IN
04-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Or.

Novak might just be on PEDs.

Performance Enhancing Diet

GuyClinch
04-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah no offense as I like Novac - but this to me sounds like he has just gone on a cycle..

I know I know - no steroids in tennis right? But the testing is really BAD - and PED REALLY work. With these sets of circumstances you can be sure guys are using them.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if half the tour were taking PEDs. I can't believe tennis learned so little from baseball.

Serena is the worst - with the suspicious blood clot and the physique bigger then an east german swimmer (when her sister is pretty slim) - crazy.

The real problem is I can imagine guys like Novak feel they have to do them to 'keep up' with the other dopers. I am telling you a few years from now someone is going to spill the beans and Tennis is going to have a massive problem.

Murrayfan31
04-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah no offense as I like Novac - but this to me sounds like he has just gone on a cycle..

I know I know - no steroids in tennis right? But the testing is really BAD - and PED REALLY work. With these sets of circumstances you can be sure guys are using them.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if half the tour were taking PEDs. I can't believe tennis learned so little from baseball.

Serena is the worst - with the suspicious blood clot and the physique bigger then an east german swimmer (when her sister is pretty slim) - crazy.

The real problem is I can imagine guys like Novak feel they have to do them to 'keep up' with the other dopers. I am telling you a few years from now someone is going to spill the beans and Tennis is going to have a massive problem.
http://operatorchan.org/cp/src/cp6903_its-a-conspiracy.jpg

DragonBlaze
04-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Performance Enhancing Diet

Well played :)

Datacipher
04-27-2011, 10:23 PM
[quote=Datacipher;5602786]

back peddle? most foods have minor carbs, so i said eating garbage like bread and pasta is worthless. i already know you are some dike who frequents these boards. you do know p ussy does not contain carbs?

LOL! Backpeddle from the quote I provided....HERE, I'll post it yet again:

Originally Posted by Pozarevacka http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=5601648#post5601648)

DOH!!!

Datacipher
04-27-2011, 10:30 PM
wtf are you even arguing? I responded to him saying carbs were more important than protein. He didn't say for what. And I doubt you've trained anyone. You sound like an idiot.

NO. INCORRECT AGAIN. He was in fact very explicit as to what he was referring, and gave several specific examples. Here are a few quotes from the post you were responding to:

No, they are not worthless.Carbs are far more important than protein. The brain functions on carbohydrate. Ever tried no carb diets? What is the first thing that happens? Mental acuity goes out the window....

Most endurance athletes consume mostly carbohydrate.

Since you quoted this post, it might serve you well to read what you respond to more closely. I'm sorry if you were also unable to understand my post. I can only suggest reading it more than once...carefully. Good luck!

PS. If you're having that much trouble gleaning even basic ideas from the post (eg. not realizing to what the OP was referring to), I understand why you would be frustrated, but lashing out by childish name-calling doesn't make you look any better.

ondray
04-27-2011, 10:31 PM

Why would a pharmacist be giving diet instructions? Isn't that a doctor/nutritionist's job?

Datacipher
04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Why would a pharmacist be giving diet instructions? Isn't that a doctor/nutritionist's job?

A rather dimwitted one? In any case, his "instructions" are absurd. Protein, in a general sense, could be useful, for body repair, (though the demands of a bed-ridden sick person are RELATIVELY low), zinc and other minerals that tend to come with high-protein foods MAY benefit the immune system. Of course, many other things, eg. vitamins may also help, and many of those are better found in fruits and veggies. Protein also requires more water to digest....and sickness....especially with loss of fluids, already puts extra demand on this.

Of course, in the end, any prescription for being "sick"....must be taken with a grain of salt! LOL. I strongly recommend consulting your doctor before embarking on "lots of protein" diet for one's kidney problems ;-)

ivan_the_terrible
04-28-2011, 06:48 AM

Unfortunately, your post will be diminished by others that prefer to have their heads firmly planted in the sand.
Remember that all tennis players that have tested positive so far have managed to prove their innocence to the ITF. Ergo, tennis is clean, case closed :shock:

ivan_the_terrible
04-28-2011, 06:49 AM
http://operatorchan.org/cp/src/cp6903_its-a-conspiracy.jpg

This illustrates my point precisely.

Pwned
04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
NO. INCORRECT AGAIN. He was in fact very explicit as to what he was referring, and gave several specific examples. Here are a few quotes from the post you were responding to:

Since you quoted this post, it might serve you well to read what you respond to more closely. I'm sorry if you were also unable to understand my post. I can only suggest reading it more than once...carefully. Good luck!

PS. If you're having that much trouble gleaning even basic ideas from the post (eg. not realizing to what the OP was referring to), I understand why you would be frustrated, but lashing out by childish name-calling doesn't make you look any better.
And yet what I responded to is still in question. As protein is in no way less important than carbohydrates. Anyone who tries to draw a line in the sand and say one is more important that the other is an idiot, especially when protein is vital to life.

Omega_7000
04-28-2011, 09:01 AM
And yet what I responded to is still in question. As protein is in no way less important than carbohydrates. Anyone who tries to draw a line in the sand and say one is more important that the other is an idiot, especially when protein is vital to life.

So balancing between protein and carbs is the way to go?

Pwned
04-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Everyone knows that your diet should be balanced. Even bodybuilding diets call for more carbs though. But that does not mean they are more important.

And if you want to talk about 'mental acuity' - Protein will raise serotonin levels resulting in heightened alertness and mental acuity.

Legend of Borg
04-28-2011, 09:23 AM
What is the recommended food type to be consumed before a tennis match?

If grains are useless as some posters have claimed, what should one eat if we exclude pasta and grains?

Vegetables?

Fee
04-28-2011, 12:00 PM

and some good "fats" like olive oil.

Honestly, the majority of this discussion should be taking place in the Health forum, where it has been discussed at length by very knowledgeable forum members in the industry.

Also, as far as Novak is concerned, a wheat/gluten allergy does not automatically mean he has Coeliac Disease. They are similar, but not always the same. Either way, if he has a doctor traveling with him for a while, he is probably there to teach both Novak and his team to change his diet, read labels, make substitutions, whatever. They may also be monitoring his blood and weight as he changes his diet and purges his system of the allergy. I doubt this doctor is going to travel with him all year.

I'm a bit concerned about Novak losing weight, its not like he was ever heavy to begin with.

BreakPoint
04-28-2011, 12:12 PM
No way I could live without pizza, pasta, and bread. I live on that stuff. :)

Cesc Fabregas
04-28-2011, 12:19 PM

That's why you never made it as a pro, and you because you have a weak backhand.

Lsmkenpo
04-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Yep, and when you have a doctor traveling with you to check and maintain the T/E ratio below the 6/1 ratio, you don't have to worry about failing the drug test.

BreakPoint
04-28-2011, 06:17 PM
That's why you never made it as a pro, and you because you have a weak backhand.
Um....that's what Federer eats. In fact, he never ate meat until more recently. I guess Federer never made it as a pro, either. :oops:

Oh, and you're right, pros never eat pasta nor carbs. :???:

Subventricular Zone
04-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Of course, there are gluten-free versions of pizza, pasta and bread. Check your nearest Whole Foods or similar natural foods store.

Rice and corn are also great carb substitutes, as are starchy vegetables such as pototoes, sweet potatoes, etc.

Subventricular Zone
04-28-2011, 08:35 PM

Good post.

Very possible. However, it's hard to say that based only on two hard court tourneys right after injury. Nadal always seems to need a lot of match play and confidence in order to do well in his weakest surface. Add to that having to play the in-form player of the moment.

On the contrary, I think he is still very much motivated. Although he will never admit to it, you can tell that he really wanted to achieve the Rafa slam, and his training during the off season and subsequent scheduling was geared towards that. Too bad about the virus in Doha. That was just pure unreal bad luck! But who knows, maybe he gets a second chance?

BreakPoint
04-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Of course, there are gluten-free versions of pizza, pasta and bread. Check your nearest Whole Foods or similar natural foods store.

Rice and corn are also great carb substitutes, as are starchy vegetables such as pototoes, sweet potatoes, etc.
But why? I like gluten and carbs. Yummy...... :)

accidental
04-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Has anyone read Rod Laver's autobiography 'The Education of a tennis player'?

I was amazed when he talked about his favorite meal to have the night before a match, steak and eggs. He even talks about going into training for a few weeks before the 1969 US Open with a large supply of steak and eggs to get him through his training... sounded like the only carbs he got were from beer

Subventricular Zone
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
But why? I like gluten and carbs. Yummy...... :)

Haha I'm sure you do, man. I don't even know how gluten-free pizza/pasta/etc tastes like or if it's any good at all.

Sentinel
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
After King Roger the Benevolent we now have King Novak the Gluten Intolerant.

How long will this New King last ? Anyone? Yoda ?

Pink_Shirt
04-29-2011, 08:08 AM
I have IBS, made it killer for Air Force Basic Training, lol.

PCXL-Fan
04-29-2011, 08:54 AM
After King Roger the Benevolent we now have King Novak the Gluten Intolerant.

How long will this New King last ? Anyone? Yoda ?

He will last until tournament organziners spike his food with large amounts of vitamin A, causing him to undergo vitamin A toxcity and the muscle cramps/pains associated with it.

Purpuse being to maximize tv viewership for the Raonic/Devvarman Wimbledon 2012 semi.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=5606879#post5606879
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=5537619#post5537619

lendlmac
05-30-2011, 09:13 AM
I LOOOOVE IT!!

Djokovic is OWNING the ATP Tour, and Nadal, who, works sooo hard on his fitness and body building muscles, etc...yet when he plays, always plays Nadal now, he is sooooo exhausted, out of shape, tired, pausing , taking long winded breaks between points, etc..while Djokovic's new Gluten Free Diet is allowing him to be Fresh and Fancy Free all game long..

LOL

Djokovic, the problem and dilema will be, IF, IF, IF hee wwins the French Open??????? EVERY question up until he loses or Wimbledon, he will be asked about his DIET, Fitness and Gluten Free Diet, secrets, routiunes, etc..and that will be ALL the talk now, IF he wins the French...how someone so skinny, lean, outplay tall 6'8" players, bulky, husky players like Nadal, graceful players like Federer, and runts like Ferrer, etc....

Djokovic's NEW DIET IS helping him win, and am GLAD, it is HIS SECRET, and NO ONE ELSE's BUSINESS! LOL :) :) :) :)

Clarky21
05-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah,some secret it is I'm sure. :wink:

sureshs
05-30-2011, 12:17 PM
I googled on gluten-free diets, and what do I find? Wheat is bad, but rice is good! Hey, a third or more of the world's population eats rice. What is so difficult for Djokovic then?

Banger
05-30-2011, 08:34 PM
wow a 7 page thread on novak's new diet. The joker camp has most of you guys duped just like the rest of the tennis world. Anyone who believes this new diet is the catalyst to catapulting him into bionic territory is just idiotic. Just like one other posted stated sooner or later just like Major League Baseball the performance enhancing factor in tennis will reveal itself. Watch out for Troiki also.