PDA

View Full Version : Red - Orange Clay / Yellow Ball

Devilito
04-26-2011, 09:09 AM
who ever thought this was a good idea? Time to learn about contrast. Either change the color of the clay or change the ball color depending on the color of the surface so it's clearly visible. Not rocket science here.

Rorsach
04-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Never had a problem with that, until people on youtube began uploading clips in the lowest possible resolution.

bluescreen
04-26-2011, 09:33 AM
The US Open changed the court color to blue to improve contrast with the ball. While that's a hard court, Madrid has been experimenting with blue clay on their practice courts. If they transition their show courts to blue clay perhaps other clay tournaments will follow suit with different color clay.

Devilito
04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
The US Open changed the court color to blue to improve contrast with the ball. While that's a hard court, Madrid has been experimenting with blue clay on their practice courts. If they transition their show courts to blue clay perhaps other clay tournaments will follow suit with different color clay.

yeah why not. Also why not just change ball color it would seem a lot easier than changing the color of an entire surface. But blue clay sounds a lot easier on the eyes than what we have now

Never had a problem with that, until people on youtube began uploading clips in the lowest possible resolution.
i agree somewhat but clay has always been more of an issue than any other surface because of it's color. Sometimes grass can be pretty bad as well. A large part of the population now watches stuff on the go on their smartphones or netbooks. Time to be a bit smarter about the presentation of your product IMO.

Ash_Smith
04-26-2011, 09:38 AM
^^^Are you talking for TV coverage or for the players?

Cheers

Ash

DCaicedo
04-26-2011, 09:48 AM
who ever thought this was a good idea? Time to learn about contrast. Either change the color of the clay or change the ball color depending on the color of the surface so it's clearly visible. Not rocket science here.

Are you for real?
Why don't we start painting the grass 'blue' too, while we're at it?

If a player can swing at the ball and not miss (and not claim that it was due to 'spin'), then this is a non-issue.

Devilito
04-26-2011, 09:52 AM
^^^Are you talking for TV coverage or for the players?

Cheers

Ash

TV, who cares about the players. The players play for the viewers or they wouldn't be any better off than local tournament level players.

Are you for real?
Why don't we start painting the grass 'blue' too, while we're at it?

If a player can swing at the ball and not miss (and not claim that it was due to 'spin'), then this is a non-issue.

Are you for real? Tennis is a business. It's not about the player but the fans. It's entertainment get it? Players play for the people watching. Without the fans Roger Federer would be flipping burgers in his spare time for food money.

MethodTennis
04-26-2011, 01:18 PM
if it was really an issue they could always use whiteballs again, but they would look red pretty fast

MethodTennis
04-26-2011, 01:19 PM
also any vid of the madrid practice courts

found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QELC1Vl1X5I, anything else?

neverstopplaying
04-26-2011, 02:13 PM
If possible blue clay would be great for viewers. In hi def it's easy to follow the ball but not all matches are broadcast in hi def - in Canada anyway.

I was watching some Monte carlo matches without seeing the ball at all.

el sergento
04-26-2011, 02:25 PM

So, in that vid Nadal says the following:

"Clay is red, not blue, there's more to tennis than show business and there are some things that must be valued, such as traditions, and the tradition is for a clay court to be red."

I guess now we know why we'll never have blue clay.........the king will not have it!

Devilito
04-26-2011, 02:31 PM

"Clay is red, not blue, there's more to tennis than show business and there are some things that must be valued, such as traditions, and the tradition is for a clay court to be red."

I guess now we know why we'll never have blue clay.........the king will not have it!

lol they went from green hard courts to blue. Was there outrage then? Totally ridiculous. Nadal is such a freakin prima donna. I love how he says there’s more to tennis than show business. Sorry buddy, tennis is all about show business. If it wasn’t for the show business part of tennis he’d be unemployed and bankrupt like the rest of his countrymen out in the streets rioting at austerity measures. It’s because of show business that he has more money than god.

BrooklynNY
04-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Devilito, I completely understand there is a business element to every sport, but its not because of show business why Nadal has more money than God. Earning prize money from Sponsors who traditionally provide obscene prize money doesn't mean Nadal is completely engaged into the show business side of tennis, like say Serena Williams, it means he is better than most. Nadal's lack of a money problem is because in his profession he is better than basically 100% of his peers, which then leads to endorsements, but first comes winning and success. He won 10 million dollars last year playing tennis, not smiling for cameras and walking catwalks. You better believe Grigor Dmitrov or Rainer Schuttler do not have more money than God

Perhaps more people who love to watch tennis as much as possible should consider buying HD televisions/computer monitors, High Speed Internet connections, and/or getting corrective surgery for their vision.

Omega_7000
04-26-2011, 03:09 PM
He won 10 million dollars last year playing tennis, not smiling for cameras and walking catwalks.

It wouldn't matter how good he was if there was no interest in tennis. Do you think the fastest dog sled racer (olympic sport) is making as much money as Nadal is?

vive le beau jeu !
04-26-2011, 03:14 PM
we should paint the clay, the balls and the lines all in blue, and watch it dry.

cucio
04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Without the fans Roger Federer would be flipping burgers in his spare time for food money.

Don't be disrespectful. He would gracefully turn them around with a wrist flick of unparalleled technique and poise, moving like he was gliding from one grill to another.

ollinger
04-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Brooklyn
much of Nadal's financial success IS in fact related to his smiling for cameras and behaving well. Lendl had trouble getting more lucrative endorsements because of his perceived sour disposition, according to Donald Dell who managed his finances. Nadal's persona adds to his income.

Heracles
04-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Last time Madrid wanted to change the color of clay , the players heavily protested, Nadal in first and Serena in second.

Clay has been orange since forever and the ball has been yellow since forever.

No problems have been signaled. It is perfectly fine.

nadalbestclass
04-26-2011, 03:23 PM

Yes, but Rog/Rafa/Serena spoke out about it. I believe the ATP hadn't been consulted about it and the guys at Madrid were only asking players (something like that). So Fed was upset about that. Basically, they said that it's plain unnatural and makes no sense. Plus, there is a lot of tradition when it comes to clay it's not like painting hard courts a different color. I find the ball a lot harder to see on grass, why not change the color there too?

nadalbestclass
04-26-2011, 03:25 PM

Don't be ignorant many other players spoke up about it too.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/news/268151,federer-joins-the-fray-against-madrid-blue-clay.html

Here is more, this is from last year:

The U.S. Tennis Association encountered minimal player resistance when it switched the color of the U.S. Open and U.S. Open Series courts from green to blue, though green courts were not nearly as much a part of the U.S. sports cultural fabric as red clay is in Europe.

In the case of Madrid, the players, including Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, denounced the plan last year. More recently, the ATP players council at its March meeting in Florida decided as a group that it remains opposed to blue clay courts for 2010 but would consider future testing, according to meeting minutes obtained by SportsBusiness Journal.

The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour’s players council has not openly stated a formal position.

“Clay courts are traditionally all red, and players feel like it would be awkward to change the color of the clay,” said Ivan Ljubicic, a former ATP board and players council member and who currently is ranked No. 14 on the tour.

There also have been concerns that the consistency of the blue clay tested last year at the Madrid event was different from red clay.

An ATP spokeswoman, Kate Gordon, said blue clay courts are a topic of discussion but no changes are currently in the works.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2010/04/20100419/This-Weeks-News/Blue-Clay-May-Be-In-Play-At-Madrid-By-2011.aspx

I guess Ljubicic is also a prima donna :roll:

Heracles
04-26-2011, 03:27 PM
White grass + black ball would be the perfect combo.

Omega_7000
04-26-2011, 04:08 PM
we should paint the clay, the balls and the lines all in blue, and watch it dry.

LOL :lol:

sureshs
04-26-2011, 04:17 PM
To get most contrast, use the color wheel. Google for it. Diametrically opposite colors give maximum contrast. For red, it is bluish-green. So that should be the color of the ball.

sdont
04-26-2011, 04:39 PM
To get most contrast, use the color wheel. Google for it. Diametrically opposite colors give maximum contrast. For red, it is bluish-green. So that should be the color of the ball.

Would work also, but tennis balls are universally yellow, whereas there's already red clay and green clay, why not blue clay? :confused:

Devilito
04-26-2011, 05:24 PM

should work, only clay isn't really red, it's more in between orange and red, and tennis balls are yellow. But yes i'd be all for leaving the courts and changing the color of the balls depending on the court surface color. I already suggested that in my OP. It would be way easier

BrooklynNY
04-26-2011, 07:05 PM

I hope you're not suggesting that in the future, we all get blue balls on a regular basis during the clay season.
:twisted:

Murrayfan31
04-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Big reason why players don't smash Nadal's moonballs. They can't see the ball early enough due to the ball blending in.

fleabitten
04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't think the true contrasting color would be any better. The colorwheel contrast to red-orange is green-blue. A green-blue ball, unless it was really light in tone, would be hard to see in this case. The ball must be light, so a light blue-green is not that far from a light yellow-green. There is just not much room to improve on the current ball color.

Xizel
04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
I can get used to changing surfaces, but definitely not a changed ball. IMO blue courts are the best.

Murrayfan31
04-26-2011, 07:20 PM
I can get used to changing surfaces, but definitely not a changed ball. IMO blue courts are the best.
Blue is awesome. Australian Open true blue is the best court I've seen.

NLBwell
04-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Wow, that blue clay looks weird. Would it turn your socks blue like the traditional clay turns them red-orange?
Just rip them all up and make them har-tru. Actually a bluish har-tru probably wouldn't be that hard to do.

The yellow ball shows up much better than the old white balls did because the white balls would just turn orange after a few hits. Any very light color would have that problem.
Maybe dual-color balls like the kid balls?

fedhingis515
04-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Making clay courts blue would be a waste. Just change the ball color. Faster, easier and it will save a whole lotta money.

DNShade
04-27-2011, 09:02 AM
I find the ball a lot harder to see on grass, why not change the color there too?

They did - and at the biggest and most prestigious event in tennis - from white to yellow (and actually hot pink was considered). And the reason? So it can be seen better on TV. So...

This a legit complaint. I have a 70+ inch HDTV and depending on the camera angle, time of day and quality of light and the quality of the feed - the ball can still be hard to follow on some clay court matches. So there is some reason for looking at some options.

Kegzz
04-27-2011, 09:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urKjsWT0ny4&feature=related Another YouTube video on blue clay, with subtitles.

Hood_Man
04-27-2011, 09:10 AM
I personally can't see the problem, but like most things I guess it could be trialled. Maybe not at Roland Garros but a few of the smaller televised clay tournaments like Barcelona or Estoril or something.

sabala
04-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Time to bring back the optic orange balls?

http://www.courtsidesports.com/store/product/3701/Championship-Tennis-Balls---Orange-Tube-3-Balls/

Andres
04-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Soderling complained that the blue clay doesn't leave a mark as clear as red clay.

Rorsach
04-27-2011, 09:30 AM
White grass + black ball would be the perfect combo.

Nah, black court and old-fashioned white balls:

http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~cis120e/hw/SwingGame/images/real-pong.jpg

sureshs
04-27-2011, 09:55 AM
I hope you're not suggesting that in the future, we all get blue balls on a regular basis during the clay season.

LOL........................

aphex
04-27-2011, 09:57 AM

This is horrible.

Keep the clay orange and make the balls blue. (no pun intended) (not really...)

aphex
04-27-2011, 09:58 AM

Haha, beat me to it...:)

MichaelNadal
04-27-2011, 11:35 AM
This is horrible.

Keep the clay orange and make the balls blue. (no pun intended) (not really...)

I agree, the balls should be a different color on clay IF they were to change it. But the idea of blue clay is absurd. It's like that green ketchup they came out with.

Backhanded Compliment
04-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes, bad idea... if you want better contrast a slightly greener ball will work fine. If you know your color theory it is pretty simple.

Tradition matters (and it's why white attire at Wimby is a nice touch of class)... mostly. Wish they would speed up those courts.

What's next black clay with purple lines? How about an outright Tron treatment? with everyone plying under black lights with glow in the dark balls... interesting for half a second then just a stupid stunt.

sureshs
04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Why not play in the dark with infra red goggles? Already tried in an exo in London couple of years ago.

Rorsach
04-27-2011, 12:19 PM
What's next black clay with purple lines? How about an outright Tron treatment? with everyone plying under black lights with glow in the dark balls... interesting for half a second then just a stupid stunt.

Nightminton/blackminton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-xVeJSsYEM&feature=related

shanked_it
04-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Yes, bad idea... if you want better contrast a slightly greener ball will work fine. If you know your color theory it is pretty simple.

Well... me being colorblind when it comes to these 2 fellows, would not appretiate it! :(

red and green also happen to be equally strong(vibrant might be the right word here, not my language this damn english...) as colors, while some other pairs like yellow and violet are not. Red+Yellow seems like a pretty OK combination to me, even if they are more on the harmonic side...

Terrible quality on youtube on the other hand... eww.. don't like that at all.

jerriy
04-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Blue clay is ridiculous.

All ze French have to do is darken the red-ness of the red clay.

That'll solve the problem instantly cuz that's the issue here. Red is a dominant color. It's irrelevant whether the ball is white or yellow. The claydust will make it reddish anyway.

Just make the surface less bright/more dark red (or more greenish red or blueish red aka crimson... problem solved!

Devilito
04-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Blue clay is ridiculous.

All ze French have to do is darken the red-ness of the red clay.

That'll solve the problem instantly cuz that's the issue here. Red is a dominant color. It's irrelevant whether the ball is white or yellow. The claydust will make it reddish anyway.

Just make the surface less bright/more dark red (or more greenish red or blueish red aka crimson... problem solved!

jesus christ my eyes. Staring at a 5 hour match on TV with a dark red background. Sounds idiotic and headache inducing. The court surface should be something easy on the eyes

jerriy
04-27-2011, 03:07 PM
jesus christ my eyes. Staring at a 5 hour match on TV with a dark red background. Sounds idiotic and headache inducing. The court surface should be something easy on the eyesGet a damn HDtv (and an Aspirine)