PDA

View Full Version : Novak Djokovic winning streak

aceX
04-27-2011, 02:09 AM
How long do you think this streak will last?

Who is going to beat him and at which tournament?

I think probably Nadal in Rome or at the French Open.

nadalbestclass
04-27-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm hoping it ends today :)

Hitman
04-27-2011, 03:32 AM
Queens Club. :)

aphex
04-27-2011, 03:44 AM
How long do you think this streak will last?

Who is going to beat him and at which tournament?

I think probably Nadal in Rome or at the French Open.

He can play the Serbia Open exclusively until 2021.
So his streak would last 10 years.

tenis1
04-27-2011, 03:56 AM
Indian Wells 2012.

cocolate
04-27-2011, 03:58 AM
He can play the Serbia Open exclusively until 2021.
So his streak would last 10 years.

Nadal can play Barcelona his whole life so his winning streak may last but even that is not sure.

borg number one
04-27-2011, 04:20 AM
In the next clay event both Nadal and Djokovic play, I expect Djokovic to finally lose a match this year. He's been incredible so far though.If Djokovic somehow avoids Nadal, he could win a clay tourney in 2011. Yet, otherwise, it'll be very difficult. There are also players besides Nadal that could very possibly defeat Djokovic on clay (perhaps in Rome or Hamburg?) such as Melzer, Ferrer, Soderling, Federer, or Almagro. Yet, if Djokovic does produce impressive results on clay prior to RG, he will be very dangerous for anyone. He's playing with a lot of confidence and renewed focus it seems, but will that be enough for him to establish himself as a threat to Nadal even on clay and grass courts?

vive le beau jeu !
04-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Queens Club. :)
this one for me too... if he plays it ! :)

Pozarevacka
04-27-2011, 06:25 AM
I'm hoping it ends today :)

Yeah because you're a gypsy loving moron. Quit being such a bandejo.

beast of mallorca
04-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Pozarevacka was banned ? Justice is served I guess, insulting people like that.

aceX
04-27-2011, 11:31 AM

LOL well their insult was really uncalled for so serves them right

Gizo
04-28-2011, 02:37 AM
I really want to see a Djokovic-Ferrer match on clay this year, to see who is the second best player in the world on the surface.

Ferrer has won all 3 of their previous matches on clay. One of those was in 2004 when Djokovic was 17 so that is meaningless, although Ferrer did win their matches at Monte-Carlo in 2007 and in the Davis Cup in 2009 in straight sets. They are both playing with a lot more confidence this year so that would be an intriguing match-up.

PSNELKE
04-28-2011, 03:57 AM

Finally, was about time to ban that fanboy for insulting people like that.

YodaKnowsBest
04-28-2011, 04:01 AM

You're not much different...

PSNELKE
04-28-2011, 04:11 AM

lol says fanboyknowsbest..

- who am i insulting

- whose fanboy am i

so please stop with your pathetic pretences.

YodaKnowsBest
04-28-2011, 04:32 AM
lol says fanboyknowsbest..

My predictions are far more accurate then yours. Do I need to remind you what happend in both Miami/Indian Wells thread when Nadal was facing the King? You and all other King haters almost reached their climax during that match, but in teh end the only thing you got was a slap in yo face.

- who am i insulting

You insulted me several times and a couple of other King's fans.

- whose fanboy am i

so please stop with your pathetic pretences.

I don't care who you're rooting for, all I know is that you're always against the King and insulting the King's fans when you don't agree with them. ( wich is always)

PSNELKE
04-28-2011, 04:39 AM
My predictions are far more accurate then yours. Do I need to remind you what happend in both Miami/Indian Wells thread when Nadal was facing the King? You and all other King haters almost reached their climax during that match, but in teh end the only thing you got was a slap in yo face.

You insulted me several times and a couple of other King's fans.

I don't care who you're rooting for, all I know is that you're always against the King and insulting the King's fans when you don't agree with them. ( wich is always)

Lol you answered this for me.

Your predictions aren´t accurate their just a part of your fanboyiscm, you were a pretty decent poster with not fanboyish posts but after Nole´s streak begun you started to be FanboyNo1 around here who doesn´t accept any others opinions.
However this will end soon with someone ending Nole´s great streak.
And I wasn´t insulting anyone but Pozarevacka cause he started to insult me and another guy.

Omega_7000
04-28-2011, 09:08 AM
http://www.rotc.usaac.army.mil/photos/25years.jpg

li0scc0
04-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Do I need to remind you what happend in both Miami/Indian Wells thread when Nadal was facing the King?

Nadal played Federer at Miami and Indian Wells?

li0scc0
04-28-2011, 09:23 AM

Pozarevacka and his other User ID, Ludwig von Mises, were thankfully banned. He will be back, of course, under a different ID. His posts will be easy to recognize, given his 'writing' style and use of ad hominems and other commentary :)

Bud
04-28-2011, 10:00 AM

She'll be back with yet another name if she isn't already.

CDestroyer
04-28-2011, 10:29 AM
In the next clay event both Nadal and Djokovic play, I expect Djokovic to finally lose a match this year. He's been incredible so far though.If Djokovic somehow avoids Nadal, he could win a clay tourney in 2011. Yet, otherwise, it'll be very difficult. There are also players besides Nadal that could very possibly defeat Djokovic on clay (perhaps in Rome or Hamburg?) such as Melzer, Ferrer, Soderling, Federer, or Almagro. Yet, if Djokovic does produce impressive results on clay prior to RG, he will be very dangerous for anyone. He's playing with a lot of confidence and renewed focus it seems, but will that be enough for him to establish himself as a threat to Nadal even on clay and grass courts?

Its very possible Novak can beat doodo boy on clay and grass.

aceX
04-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Surely he's going to win the Serbia Open.

MichaelNadal
04-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Surely he's going to win the Serbia Open.

Nadal should make a Mallorca open :) lol

The-Champ
04-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Djokovic is playing the toughest draw in tennis history in this tournament..

aceX
04-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Djokovic is playing the toughest draw in tennis history in this tournament..

Oh for sure. Beating Lopez in the final will mean that Djokovic wins the title by playing three matches against unseeded players.

borg number one
04-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Its very possible Novak can beat doodo boy on clay and grass.

No, I wouldn't say that. Djokovic has never come near Nadal's best level at either Wimbledon and the French Open. It'll be interesting to see how Djokovic will react being in his first Wimbledon final for example.

nadalbestclass
04-30-2011, 10:22 PM

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Nice! Although, most Spaniards will take part, and they are all decent clay courters, so that might not work out as nicely as belgrade.

TennisFan3
04-30-2011, 10:31 PM

Nadal already has Barcelona and Madrid. No need to add another tournament that Nadal feels obligated to play.

PCXL-Fan
04-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Djokovic should take an injury exemption from the next 2 MS1000s and instead play another 3 more ATP250 event against top >15 players to extend his winning streak into GOAT(Raonic) territory.

vive le beau jeu !
05-01-2011, 06:37 AM
before, there was a mallorca open !
(between 1998 and 2002, and then they moved it to valencia)

TheTruth
05-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Great strategic move by Nole and his team. Rest, and enter the clay court season slowly, build up his clay court prowess in a non-threatening manner, and then enter a big one getting more practice before just jumping into the frying pan.

If he continues to manage his schedule wisely, he could take it all the way to the bank.

Happy 2?. I don't remember the number.

Nadal and team could learn from this.

aceX
05-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Yeah I reckon Nole's team is taking his schedule seriously. Giving their player whatever edge they can get.

Sentinel
05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
"I figure I'll be champ for about ten years and then I'll let my brother Djordje take over - like the Kennedys down in Washington."

-- Novak Djokovic

tenis1
05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
"I figure I'll be champ for about ten years and then I'll let my brother Djordje take over - like the Kennedys down in Washington."

-- Novak Djokovic

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/haters-gonna-hate-32402-1270523864-286.jpg

Gizo
05-02-2011, 12:30 AM
before, there was a mallorca open !
(between 1998 and 2002, and then they moved it to valencia)

Yes that was a very good tournament held in the bullring. Nadal made his ATP debut there in 2002, beating Ramon Delgado in the first round before losing to Ollie Rochus.

It's probably a good thing for him that the tournament moved, as can you imagine how congested his clay court schedule would be then. He gave up playing the Valencia event after 2005 to ease his schedule, but there's no way that he would have given up playing at Mallorca. Plus with the Barcelona tournament held at his home club where he is a member, and the 3 masters series events with one now in Spain, that would be an even more hectic period for him than it currently is.

aceX
05-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Djokovic's first madrid match will be against Anderson or Rochus

President
05-02-2011, 06:52 PM
No, I wouldn't say that. Djokovic has never come near Nadal's best level at either Wimbledon and the French Open. It'll be interesting to see how Djokovic will react being in his first Wimbledon final for example.

I definitely don't think the pressure will affect him too much, he's always been pretty level headed. Even in his first Grand Slam final in 2007, he played a good match and he's been in 3 more since then, winning 2 of them. Of course, he is worse on grass than on the other surfaces, but I don't think nerves will be a factor (any more than they would normally be for ANY player in a Major final)

aceX
05-02-2011, 09:10 PM
I definitely don't think the pressure will affect him too much, he's always been pretty level headed. Even in his first Grand Slam final in 2007, he played a good match and he's been in 3 more since then, winning 2 of them. Of course, he is worse on grass than on the other surfaces, but I don't think nerves will be a factor (any more than they would normally be for ANY player in a Major final)

Wimbly SF last year. So if that's his weakest surface he's doing alright.

borg number one
05-02-2011, 09:15 PM

There's some truth to that. He's better than many others in that department, but there's nothing like Centre Court for a Wimbledon final. We'll have to wait and see.

aceX
05-04-2011, 11:23 AM
28-0 this year and 30-0 from last year.

mnm
05-05-2011, 04:43 AM
I bet djoker is the next #1.. aswell as azarenka

glazkovss
05-05-2011, 07:38 AM
mnm, your signature rocks:)
As for Djokovic, 5 straight titles sounds more impressive to me than N straight wins, also considering what titles he won. Last man to win 5 was Nadal in 2008, that included 2 majors and 2 masters on 3 different surfaces, and his straight wins total was about 32 if I'm not mistaken. Can't understand the hype of beginning-the-year-streak, but it is still pretty impressive. Nadal-Djokovic Madrid final would be a thrill.

aceX
05-05-2011, 02:21 PM
31 wins in a row.

29 wins in a row this year.

Cassius Clay
05-05-2011, 04:15 PM
mnm, your signature rocks:)
As for Djokovic, 5 straight titles sounds more impressive to me than N straight wins, also considering what titles he won. Last man to win 5 was Nadal in 2008, that included 2 majors and 2 masters on 3 different surfaces, and his straight wins total was about 32 if I'm not mistaken. Can't understand the hype of beginning-the-year-streak, but it is still pretty impressive. Nadal-Djokovic Madrid final would be a thrill.

Serbian Open shouldn't even be considered a legit tournament. He played a whole bunch of nobodies.

aceX
05-06-2011, 08:06 PM
32 wins in a row.

30 wins in a row this year.

Next opponent: Thomaz Bellucci

MagneticCurls
05-06-2011, 08:08 PM
LOL, *********s are so scared now that their boy is on the verge of folding it all in.

dmt
05-06-2011, 08:14 PM
nadal will beat him soon

tenis1
05-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Serbian Open shouldn't even be considered a legit tournament. He played a whole bunch of nobodies.

Barcelona was no different this year. Who did Nadal play there? Dodig in the SF :shock:

aceX
05-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Well I don't think Djokovic's streak would still be going if he attended Monte Carlo and Barcelona, but that doesn't matter now. All that matters right now is Madrd.

Sentinel
05-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Congratulations to Đoković on this fantastic unparalleled achievement.

tenis1
05-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Well I don't think Djokovic's streak would still be going if he attended Monte Carlo and Barcelona, but that doesn't matter now. All that matters right now is Madrd.

Why would he need to attend MC and Barcelona? They are both non mandatory tournaments.

aceX
05-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Why would he need to attend MC and Barcelona? They are both non mandatory tournaments.

Who said he needed to attend them?

Hitman
05-07-2011, 02:30 AM
The incredible streak continues. Great match he played against Ferrer. Would like to see him extend it now onto Rome.

Without a doubt, this is the story of this season.

glazkovss
05-07-2011, 11:55 AM

I meant other 4 tourneys.

And what a great win by Novak today. This was a kind of match that you need to win if you want to become world no.1. Not playing your best with opponent firing on all cylinders and than turn it around to finish brilliantly. Now he's beaten a grinder, a shotmaker and will face the ultimate test: beat Rafa on clay, in Spain, probably for the no.1 ranking. Wish Djokovic will get the revenge for that epic loss in Madrid 2009, he deserves for all his efforts to have at least one win against Nadal on clay, and Madrid conditions defenetely suit him.

JCF
05-07-2011, 02:34 PM
I like Djokovic, I hope he beats Nadal tomorrow but just can't see it happening - in Madrid and on clay - no way, impossible that spanish crowd is just too aggresive plus obviously Nadal on clay is just too good.

But still he still will gain ground on Nadal as Nadal won't gain any points tomorrow but Djokvic will correct ??

31 wins is quite impressive tho - but here sadly it will end.

Nadal already playing the mind games.

aceX
05-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Djokovic wins madrid!

34 wins in a row.

32 wins in a row this year.

Next opponent: P Cuevas or L Kubot

ledwix
05-08-2011, 11:11 AM
He just won Madrid, but Rome now seems almost impossible still...I mean, has anyone EVER won 4 of the first 5 masters?

tennis_pro
05-08-2011, 11:46 AM
He just won Madrid, but Rome now seems almost impossible still...I mean, has anyone EVER won 4 of the first 5 masters?

Don't think so. But interestingly, both Federer and Nadal are the only players to play in all finals of the first 4 Masters series of a season.

Federer in 2006 ( W Indian Wells, W Miami, F Monte Carlo, F Rome)
Nadal in 2011 ( F Indian Wells, F Miami, W Monte Carlo, F Madrid)

tennis_pro
05-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Djokovic has a perfect draw in Rome.

2nd round - a qualifier
3rd round - if Wawrinka doesn't win another 2 matches, a wildcard
Quarterfinal - only Soderling could be dangerous but he has to beat Verdasco first
Semifinal - most dangerous Jurgen Melzer lol

If he plays anything close to what he did in Madrid, there is no-one who can take him out before the final. And let's not forget Nadal has FINALLY a tough draw in a clay tournament (most likely Bellucci, Lopez, Ferrer, Federer in consecutive matches en route to the final)

aceX
05-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Well Novak made it through Madrid which means my prediction of Nadal taking him out at Rome or RG is still on the cards :)

glazkovss
05-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Hats off to Novak and his team - what a great victory. Now the question: when the ATP computer will place him at no. 1? After Madrid title Novak should have 9710+1000=10710pts. Because of calendar shift it's difficult to calculate different scenarios but today (08 May) Nadal has only 11915 pts. Can Djoko grab the top spot after Rome or will we have to wait through RG?

powerangle
05-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Hats off to Novak and his team - what a great victory. Now the question: when the ATP computer will place him at no. 1? After Madrid title Novak should have 9710+1000=10710pts. Because of calendar shift it's difficult to calculate different scenarios but today (08 May) Nadal has only 11915 pts. Can Djoko grab the top spot after Rome or will we have to wait through RG?

He can do it if he wins Rome and Rafa loses before the semis in Rome. Could happen, but probably not. In any case Djokovic will almost for sure gain some more valuable ground. Might be decided in RG.

aceX
05-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Man I had a feeling Novak was going to transition well to clay.

aceX
05-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Djokovic defeats L Kubot

35 wins in a row.

33 wins in a row this year.

Next opponent: S Wawrinka

namelessone
05-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Djoker is like Charlie Sheen right now.

WINNING. :twisted:

aceX
05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Djoker is like Charlie Sheen right now.

WINNING. :twisted:

Come on bro, he's got tiger blood.

Your comment actually made me laugh out loud stupidly to myself. :D

eidolonshinobi
05-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Djokovic defeats L Kubot

35 wins in a row.

33 wins in a row this year.

Next opponent: S Wawrinka

Watching the replay right now, he freakin dominated the first set and I don't even want to watch the rest lol

aceX
05-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Djokovic defeats Wawrinka

36 wins in a row.

34 wins in a row this year.

Next opponent: R Soderling

tennis_pro
05-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Djokovic will tie Vilas record if he wins both Rome and the French Open (excluding any walkovers)

stringertom
05-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Djokovic will tie Vilas record if he wins both Rome and the French Open (excluding any walkovers)

ND needs 2 more in '11 after the FO to match Vilas. Besides, DC matches shouldn't count because the competition is limited to the participating countries.

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 05:02 AM
ND needs 2 more in '11 after the FO to match Vilas. Besides, DC matches shouldn't count because the competition is limited to the participating countries.

You're not making the rules and neither am I. If Djokovic wins Rome and the FO he'll match him.

jean pierre
05-13-2011, 06:28 AM
You're not making the rules and neither am I. If Djokovic wins Rome and the FO he'll match him.

If Djoko wins Rome and the French, he wins 46 matches consecutively, like Vilas. Rome + French + 1 match, he beats the record.

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 06:45 AM
If Djoko wins Rome and the French, he wins 46 matches consecutively, like Vilas. Rome + French + 1 match, he beats the record.

I assume if he actually wins Rome and the FO. A single win in the 1st or 2nd round against a lesser opponent is a gimme.

All in all, the 46 match winning streak of Vilas is a joke for me. How many tournies has he won that year thx to challenger-like draws in South America or freaking Africa?

pennc94
05-13-2011, 07:25 AM
I assume if he actually wins Rome and the FO. A single win in the 1st or 2nd round against a lesser opponent is a gimme.

All in all, the 46 match winning streak of Vilas is a joke for me. How many tournies has he won that year thx to challenger-like draws in South America or freaking Africa?

That may be true, but weren't most of the Masters equivalent events also best of 5? How would Djokovic be able to win back to back best of 5 events?

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 07:30 AM
That may be true, but weren't most of the Masters equivalent events also best of 5? How would Djokovic be able to win back to back best of 5 events?

Against nobodies? You'd probably see scorelines of 6-1 6-1 6-0

Even McEnroe's 42 at the start of the year is nothing compared to current 30+ win streaks.

cocolate
05-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Against nobodies? You'd probably see scorelines of 6-1 6-1 6-0

Even McEnroe's 42 at the start of the year is nothing compared to current 30+ win streaks.

Novak can't manage 6-1 or 6-0 even in 2 setter.In 5 setter he would be spilling his lungs out.

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Novak can't manage 6-1 or 6-0 even in 2 setter.In 5 setter he would be spilling his lungs out.

He has gifted 8 bagels and 12 fries this year already. He's the fittest guy on the tour right now

cocolate
05-13-2011, 07:52 AM
He has gifted 8 bagels and 12 fries this year already. He's the fittest guy on the tour right now

he did it on hardcourt.I bet you that if RG goes to 5 sets with nadal he will lose.
Never go full five setters with Nadal on clay.Never.

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 07:54 AM
he did it on hardcourt.I bet you that if RG goes to 5 sets with nadal he will lose.
Never go full five setters with Nadal on clay.Never.

If a RG final between Djokovic and Nadal went 5 sets, I'd actually pick Djokovic to win.

At the end of the Miami match between them Nadal looked scattered while Djoker was as fresh as a daisy.

stringertom
05-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Vilas' streak started after Wimby and included 7 titles in Kitzbuhel, Washington DC, Louisville, S. Orange, Columbus, USO (finals beatdown of some "challenger-level" dude named Connors), and Paris (clay). Any of those places in S. America or freaking Africa? The streak would have probably continued if some dude named Nastase hadn't tricked him up in Aix-en-Provence with the Spaghetti incident.

On top of the "joke" of a streak, Vilas won 16 titles that year, still a record. It was no "joke" to compile a 145-14 match record that year. Yes, 159 total matches. Today, if a top player eclipses 100 matches they are gassed.

So, I'll ask you a simple question: which is more of a "joke"? Vilas' streak or your totally jaundiced viewpoint?

JCF
05-13-2011, 01:18 PM
37 now for Djokovic and counting !!! what a legend he is , although I am worried about Nadal, it will be much tougher to beat him in Rome then Madrid .... let's see...

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Vilas' streak started after Wimby and included 7 titles in Kitzbuhel, Washington DC, Louisville, S. Orange, Columbus, USO (finals beatdown of some "challenger-level" dude named Connors), and Paris (clay). Any of those places in S. America or freaking Africa? The streak would have probably continued if some dude named Nastase hadn't tricked him up in Aix-en-Provence with the Spaghetti incident.

On top of the "joke" of a streak, Vilas won 16 titles that year, still a record. It was no "joke" to compile a 145-14 match record that year. Yes, 159 total matches. Today, if a top player eclipses 100 matches they are gassed.

So, I'll ask you a simple question: which is more of a "joke"? Vilas' streak or your totally jaundiced viewpoint?

It's still a joke for me. I didn't say that he faced crap opponents in every match. I said that 80 % of the time he faced a tier - 3 challenger in tier 3 tournaments.

Djokovic won his in Australia (A Slam - beat Berdych, Federer, Murray in conescutive matches without losing a set), Indian Wells, Miami (both very tough draws, beat Federer, Nadal twice + others), Dubai (beating Berdych and Federer), Madrid (straight setting Nadal on clay, Rome (owned Wawrinka, bageled Soderling and looks very likely atm to beat Murray/Nadal back to back). On top of that he needs another 10 matches to beat that 46-match winning streak record which (if he is to do it) will probably include beating Nadal at the French Open and others.

He beat Federer 3 times, Nadal 3 times and tons of other top players. Who did Vilas beat from the top 10? Connors on clay? Is that it?

Federer would go unbeaten for 5 years if he only had to play tournaments a la itzbuhel, Washington DC, Louisville, S. Orange, Columbus.

It was a walk in the park compared to Novak's run.

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 01:44 PM

On top of that he went 0-12 against Borg in 1976-1980. Borg bageled Vilas on clay in 1977 and beat him 4 out of 4 times they played (all on clay) according to the ATP.

Mustard
05-13-2011, 01:53 PM
In 1977, starting on the 11th July, Vilas won 5 tournaments in 6 weeks (28 consecutive matches). He then had 2 weeks off before winning the US Open, and then immediately went to Argentina to play his 2 Davis Cup singles rubbers against Australia, both of which he won.

Less than a week later, Vilas won yet another tournament and the week after that, got to the final of Aix-en-Provence, where his streak was controversially ended by Ilie Nastase using, a soon to be outlawed, spaghetti strung racquet. Vilas then won a tournament the week after that. That was Vilas' 8th tournament win in just 14 weeks.

A month later, Vilas won another 4 tournaments in 4 weeks.

Mainad
05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Just three tennis players this year have come at all close to beating Djokovic.
Federer when he went a break up in the 3rd set of their semi at IW,Nadal in the 3rd set tie-breaker at the Miami final and Thomaz Bellucci,the Brazilian qualifier who went a set and a break up in their Madrid semi.

But they all choked in the end.I think the only guy who can bring his winning streak to a halt is Djokovic himself.So long as he stays healthy and focussed,I can't see anybody beating him!

His run will most likely end probably not in any slam or masters final but unexpectedly in the early rounds of some future tournament to a much lower ranked player because his health and/or mental focus have become much weaker for some reason.But probably not for a while yet!

Mustard
05-13-2011, 02:02 PM
On top of that he went 0-12 against Borg in 1976-1980. Borg bageled Vilas on clay in 1977 and beat him 4 out of 4 times they played (all on clay) according to the ATP.

Borg didn't get the sheer number of results in 1977 that Vilas achieved. Not counting the January 1978 Masters tournament, Vilas was 132-13 in 1977 (winning 72 of his last 73) with 16 tournament wins, including 2 slams. Borg was 73-6 in 1977 with 11 tournament wins, including 1 slam.

pound cat
05-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Because he won entry into the semis of Rome. Nadal will be into his 96th week as #1 (to May 13/12) THAT is a streak. So was Federer's #1 streak.

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 02:50 PM
In 1977, starting on the 11th July, Vilas won 5 tournaments in 6 weeks (28 consecutive matches). He then had 2 weeks off before winning the US Open, and then immediately went to Argentina to play his 2 Davis Cup singles rubbers against Australia, both of which he won.

Less than a week later, Vilas won yet another tournament and the week after that, got to the final of Aix-en-Provence, where his streak was controversially ended by Ilie Nastase using, a soon to be outlawed, spaghetti strung racquet. Vilas then won a tournament the week after that. That was Vilas' 8th tournament win in just 14 weeks.

A month later, Vilas won another 4 tournaments in 4 weeks.

Do you know where I can find all the matches Vilas won in a row (against whom)?

Would be grateful!

niff
05-13-2011, 02:57 PM

Would be grateful!
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Vi/G/Guillermo-Vilas.aspx?t=pa&y=1977&m=s&e=0#

Mustard
05-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Would be grateful!

1977 Kitzbuhel 11th Jul 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Alvin Gardiner 7-5 6-3
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Ramiro Benavides 6-1 6-3
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Buster C. Mottram 6-4 6-1
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Zeljko Franulovic 6-2 7-5
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jan Kodes 5-7 6-2 4-6 6-3 6-2

1977 Washington DC 18th Jul 1977 Clay Draw: 64
Round of 64: Guillermo Vilas def. Larry Gottfried 6-2 6-4
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Van Winitsky 6-4 6-1
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Victor Pecci 6-3 6-7 6-1
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Ricardo Cano 6-2 6-3
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Eddie Dibbs 7-6 6-2
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Brian Gottfried 6-4 7-5

1977 Louisville 25th Jul 1977 Clay Draw: 64
Round of 64: Guillermo Vilas def. Frank Gebert 4-6 6-2 6-3
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Tim Gullikson 6-3 6-3
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Brian Fairlie 6-4 6-2
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Ion Tiriac 6-0 6-1
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Phil Dent 5-7 6-2 6-1
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Eddie Dibbs 1-6 6-0 6-1

1977 South Orange 31st Jul 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Colin Dibley 6-4 6-1
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Peter Fleming 6-1 6-7 6-1
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jeff Borowiak 6-3 7-5
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. John McEnroe 6-2 2-6 6-0
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Roscoe Tanner 6-4 6-1

1977 Columbus 8th Aug 1977 Clay Draw: 64
Round of 64: Guillermo Vilas def. Keith Richardson 7-6 7-5
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Nikola Spear 6-4 6-2
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Brian Fairlie 6-3 6-1
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Tim Gullikson 6-4 6-4
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Billy Martin 6-0 6-2
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Brian Gottfried 6-2 6-1

1977 US Open 31st Aug 1977 Clay Draw: 128
Round of 128: Guillermo Vilas def. Manuel Santana 6-1 6-0
Round of 64: Guillermo Vilas def. Gene Mayer 6-3 6-0
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Victor Amaya 6-3 6-3
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Jose Higueras 6-3 6-1
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Raymond Moore 6-1 6-1 6-0
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Harold Solomon 6-2 7-6 6-2
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jimmy Connors 2-6 6-3 7-6 6-0

1977 Davis Cup IZ-SF 14th Sep 1977 Clay Argentina 2-3 Australia
1st Rubber: Guillermo Vilas def. Phil Dent 6-2 4-6 7-5 6-3
5th Rubber: Guillermo Vilas def. John Alexander 6-4 7-5 4-6 6-2

1977 Paris Outdoor 19th Sep 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Deon Joubert 6-0 6-2
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Jairo Velasco Sr. 6-3 6-0
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Hans Gildemeister 6-1 6-2
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Patrick Proisy 3-6 6-2 5-7 6-1 6-2
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Christophe Roger-Vasselin 6-2 6-1 7-6

1977 Aix-en-Provence 26th Sep 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Lars Elvstrom 6-1 6-0
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Peter McNamara 1-6 6-4 6-3
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jose Higueras 7-6 7-5
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Eric Deblicker 6-4 6-7 6-7 6-3 6-1
Final: Ilie Nastase def. Guillermo Vilas 6-1 7-5 ret.

1977 Tehran 3rd Oct 1977 Clay Draw: 64
Round of 64: Guillermo Vilas def. Richard Lewis 6-4 7-5
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Vladimir Zednik 3-6 6-3 6-3
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Ion Tiriac 6-4 6-4
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Buster C. Mottram 6-1 6-2
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Wojtek Fibak 6-1 7-6
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Eddie Dibbs 6-2 6-4 1-6 6-1

1977 Bogota 7th Nov 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Ricardo Cano 6-4 6-2
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Paul McNamee 7-5 7-6
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Ramiro Benavides 6-3 6-3
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Victor Pecci 6-4 6-2
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jose Higueras 6-1 6-2 6-3

1977 Santiago 14th Nov 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Paul McNamee 7-5 6-1
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Eric Deblicker 6-3 6-4
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Gene Mayer 6-4 6-4
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Ricardo Ycaza 6-1 6-1
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jaime Fillol 6-0 2-6 6-4

1977 Buenos Aires 21st Nov 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Eric Deblicker 7-6 6-2
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Ivan Molina 6-3 6-0
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Belus Prajoux 6-3 6-2
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Hans Gildemeister 7-6 6-4
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jaime Fillol 6-2 7-5 3-6 6-3

1977 Johannesburg 28th Nov 1977 Hardcourt Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Onny Parun 1-6 6-2 7-5
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. James Delaney 6-1 6-1
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Peter Fleming 7-6 0-6 6-4
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Stan Smith 6-2 6-4
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Buster C. Mottram 7-6 6-3 6-4

1978 Masters 4th Jan 1978 Indoor Carpet Draw: 8
Round Robin: Guillermo Vilas def. Manuel Orantes 6-4 6-1
Round Robin: Guillermo Vilas def. Jimmy Connors 6-4 3-6 7-5
Round Robin: Eddie Dibbs def. Guillermo Vilas Walkover
Semi Final: Bjorn Borg def. Guillermo Vilas 6-3 6-3

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 03:10 PM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Vi/G/Guillermo-Vilas.aspx?t=pa&y=1977&m=s&e=0#

Yea, thanks!

I don't know 80 % of the guys he faced so I'll see who he played against during his streak based on the 1977 year-end ranking

1 Connors, Jimmy (USA) - 1 - the only real big match here, still on clay which was by far Jimmy's worst surface
2 Vilas, Guillermo (ARG) -
3 Borg, Bjorn (SWE) -
4 Gerulaitis, Vitas (USA) -
5 Gottfried, Brian (USA) - 2
6 Dibbs, Eddie (USA) - 2
7 Orantes, Manuel (ESP)
8 Ramirez, Raul (MEX)
9 Nastase, Ilie (ROU) - 1 (lost - ends streak so doesn't count)
10 Stockton, Dick (USA)
11 Barazzutti, Corrado (ITA)
12 Rosewall, Ken (AUS)
13 Fibak, Wojtek (POL)
14 Solomon, Harold (USA) - 1
15 Tanner, Roscoe (USA) - 1

That makes it a total of 7 matches against year-end top 15 players. Now let's see the top 15 players Djokovic had to face this year:

1) Australian Open - Almagro, Berdych, Federer, Murray (4 just in the first tournament)
2) Dubai - Berdych Federer (2 in total for Dubai)
3) Indian Wells - Federer, Nadal ( 2 in total for Indian Wells)
4) Miami - Fish, Nadal (2 for Miami)
5) Serbia - none
6) Madrid - Ferrer, Nadal (2 for Madrid)
7) Rome - Wawrinka, Soderling (2 for Rome thus far)

That makes it a total of 14 matches against top 15 players (twice as many as Vilas total run count!!! + 2 more to be played in Rome) and he's got to win another 10 matches to even match Vilas winning streak!
Of course the current top 15 is way better than the top 15 in 1977 but we're not taking that into consideration as it's only my subjective opinion.

IMO even if Djokovic is to lose tomorrow, his winning streak was far better than Vilas' in 1977.

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 03:12 PM
1977 Kitzbuhel 11th Jul 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Alvin Gardiner 7-5 6-3
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Ramiro Benavides 6-1 6-3
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Buster C. Mottram 6-4 6-1
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Zeljko Franulovic 6-2 7-5
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jan Kodes 5-7 6-2 4-6 6-3 6-2

1977 Washington DC 18th Jul 1977 Clay Draw: 64
Round of 64: Guillermo Vilas def. Larry Gottfried 6-2 6-4
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Van Winitsky 6-4 6-1
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Victor Pecci 6-3 6-7 6-1
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Ricardo Cano 6-2 6-3
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Eddie Dibbs 7-6 6-2
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Brian Gottfried 6-4 7-5

1977 Louisville 25th Jul 1977 Clay Draw: 64
Round of 64: Guillermo Vilas def. Frank Gebert 4-6 6-2 6-3
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Tim Gullikson 6-3 6-3
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Brian Fairlie 6-4 6-2
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Ion Tiriac 6-0 6-1
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Phil Dent 5-7 6-2 6-1
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Eddie Dibbs 1-6 6-0 6-1

1977 South Orange 31st Jul 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Colin Dibley 6-4 6-1
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Peter Fleming 6-1 6-7 6-1
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jeff Borowiak 6-3 7-5
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. John McEnroe 6-2 2-6 6-0
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Roscoe Tanner 6-4 6-1

1977 Columbus 8th Aug 1977 Clay Draw: 64
Round of 64: Guillermo Vilas def. Keith Richardson 7-6 7-5
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Nikola Spear 6-4 6-2
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Brian Fairlie 6-3 6-1
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Tim Gullikson 6-4 6-4
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Billy Martin 6-0 6-2
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Brian Gottfried 6-2 6-1

1977 US Open 31st Aug 1977 Clay Draw: 128
Round of 128: Guillermo Vilas def. Manuel Santana 6-1 6-0
Round of 64: Guillermo Vilas def. Gene Mayer 6-3 6-0
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Victor Amaya 6-3 6-3
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Jose Higueras 6-3 6-1
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Raymond Moore 6-1 6-1 6-0
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Harold Solomon 6-2 7-6 6-2
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jimmy Connors 2-6 6-3 7-6 6-0

1977 Davis Cup IZ-SF 14th Sep 1977 Clay Argentina 2-3 Australia
1st Rubber: Guillermo Vilas def. Phil Dent 6-2 4-6 7-5 6-3
5th Rubber: Guillermo Vilas def. John Alexander 6-4 7-5 4-6 6-2

1977 Paris Outdoor 19th Sep 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Deon Joubert 6-0 6-2
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Jairo Velasco Sr. 6-3 6-0
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Hans Gildemeister 6-1 6-2
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Patrick Proisy 3-6 6-2 5-7 6-1 6-2
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Christophe Roger-Vasselin 6-2 6-1 7-6

1977 Aix-en-Provence 26th Sep 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Lars Elvstrom 6-1 6-0
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Peter McNamara 1-6 6-4 6-3
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jose Higueras 7-6 7-5
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Eric Deblicker 6-4 6-7 6-7 6-3 6-1
Final: Ilie Nastase def. Guillermo Vilas 6-1 7-5 ret.

1977 Tehran 3rd Oct 1977 Clay Draw: 64
Round of 64: Guillermo Vilas def. Richard Lewis 6-4 7-5
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Vladimir Zednik 3-6 6-3 6-3
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Ion Tiriac 6-4 6-4
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Buster C. Mottram 6-1 6-2
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Wojtek Fibak 6-1 7-6
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Eddie Dibbs 6-2 6-4 1-6 6-1

1977 Bogota 7th Nov 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Ricardo Cano 6-4 6-2
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Paul McNamee 7-5 7-6
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Ramiro Benavides 6-3 6-3
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Victor Pecci 6-4 6-2
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jose Higueras 6-1 6-2 6-3

1977 Santiago 14th Nov 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Paul McNamee 7-5 6-1
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Eric Deblicker 6-3 6-4
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Gene Mayer 6-4 6-4
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Ricardo Ycaza 6-1 6-1
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jaime Fillol 6-0 2-6 6-4

1977 Buenos Aires 21st Nov 1977 Clay Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Eric Deblicker 7-6 6-2
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. Ivan Molina 6-3 6-0
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Belus Prajoux 6-3 6-2
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Hans Gildemeister 7-6 6-4
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Jaime Fillol 6-2 7-5 3-6 6-3

1977 Johannesburg 28th Nov 1977 Hardcourt Draw: 32
Round of 32: Guillermo Vilas def. Onny Parun 1-6 6-2 7-5
Round of 16: Guillermo Vilas def. James Delaney 6-1 6-1
Quarter Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Peter Fleming 7-6 0-6 6-4
Semi Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Stan Smith 6-2 6-4
Final: Guillermo Vilas def. Buster C. Mottram 7-6 6-3 6-4

1978 Masters 4th Jan 1978 Indoor Carpet Draw: 8
Round Robin: Guillermo Vilas def. Manuel Orantes 6-4 6-1
Round Robin: Guillermo Vilas def. Jimmy Connors 6-4 3-6 7-5
Round Robin: Eddie Dibbs def. Guillermo Vilas Walkover
Semi Final: Bjorn Borg def. Guillermo Vilas 6-3 6-3

Thanks man!

I still can't find what was the ranking of the players he faced WHEN he actually faced them. I've got only the 1977 year-end info

Mustard
05-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Trying to discredit Vilas' 1977 would be ridiculous.

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Trying to discredit Vilas' 1977 would be ridiculous.

I'm not discrediting his run. I do think, however, that Djokovic's run has been far better even lacking those 10 additional wins he has to collect to beat it.

Vilas has beaten only 7 top 15 players (only 5 top 10 players) during his streak.

Djokovic has beaten Fedal more often than Vilas did any top 10 player during the streak. Not to mention Fedal is light years better than any player from the 1977 except maybe Borg (whom Vilas didn't even face once)

It's riddiculous.

Raoul_Duke
05-13-2011, 03:24 PM
ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Rome, Italy; 07.05.2011; 1000; Outdoor: Clay

R32 Lukasz Kubot (POL) 141 W 6-0, 6-3
R16 Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) 14 W 6-4, 6-1
Q Robin Soderling (SWE) 5 W 6-3, 6-0

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid, Spain; 01.05.2011; 1000; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 56

R32 Kevin Anderson (RSA) 35 W 6-3, 6-4
R16 Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) 29 W 6-1, 6-2
Q David Ferrer (ESP) 6 W 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
S Thomaz Bellucci (BRA) 36 W 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
W Rafael Nadal (ESP) 1 W 7-5, 6-4

Belgrade, Serbia; 25.04.2011; 250; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 28

R16 Adrian Ungur (ROU) 175 W 6-2, 6-3
Q Blaz Kavcic (SLO) 85 W 6-3, 6-2
S Janko Tipsarevic (SRB) 36 W W/O
W Feliciano Lopez (ESP) 37 W 7-6(4), 6-2

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami, FL, U.S.A.; 23.03.2011; 1000; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 96

R64 Denis Istomin (UZB) 54 W 6-0, 6-1
R32 James Blake (USA) 173 W 6-2, 6-0
R16 Viktor Troicki (SRB) 17 W 6-3, 6-2
Q Kevin Anderson (RSA) 40 W 6-4, 6-2
S Mardy Fish (USA) 15 W 6-3, 6-1
W Rafael Nadal (ESP) 1 W 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(4)

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells, CA, U.S.A.; 10.03.2011; 1000; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 96

R64 Andrey Golubev (KAZ) 39 W 6-0, 6-4
R32 Ernests Gulbis (LAT) 34 W 6-0, 6-1
R16 Viktor Troicki (SRB) 18 W 6-0, 6-1
Q Richard Gasquet (FRA) 21 W 6-2, 6-4
S Roger Federer (SUI) 2 W 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
W Rafael Nadal (ESP) 1 W 4-6, 6-3, 6-2

Dubai, U.A.E.; 21.02.2011; 500; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 32

R32 Michael Llodra (FRA) 27 W 6-3, 6-3
R16 Feliciano Lopez (ESP) 41 W 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
Q Florian Mayer (GER) 38 W 7-5, 6-1
S Tomas Berdych (CZE) 7 W 6-7(5), 6-2, 4-2 RET
W Roger Federer (SUI) 2 W 6-3, 6-3

Australian Open, Australia; 17.01.2011; GS; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 128

R128 Marcel Granollers (ESP) 42 W 6-1, 6-3, 6-1
R64 Ivan Dodig (CRO) 81 W 7-5, 6-7(8), 6-0, 6-2
R32 Viktor Troicki (SRB) 27 W 6-2 RET
R16 Nicolas Almagro (ESP) 14 W 6-3, 6-4, 6-0
Q Tomas Berdych (CZE) 6 W 6-1, 7-6(5), 6-1
S Roger Federer (SUI) 2 W 7-6(3), 7-5, 6-4
W Andy Murray (GBR) 5 W 6-4, 6-2, 6-3

niff
05-13-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm not discrediting his run. I do think, however, that Djokovic's run has been far better even lacking those 10 additional wins he has to collect.
Borg's is my favourite, with the breadth of surfaces he won on & best of 5 matches. There's a thread on MTF discussing the best 5 streaks:

http://www.mens tennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=179660

(^^ had to put a space in the URL as TW blanks out other tennis sites)

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Borg's is my favourite, with the breadth of surfaces he won on & best of 5 matches. There's a thread on MTF discussing the best 5 streaks:

Borg's run was great, I can see wins on all 4 surfaces!

Those 2 walkovers, however.... It's like Federer was on a 35-match winning streak and then pulled out of a match against Nadal on clay.

A great run nevertheless.

Kill me but Vilas' run is still a complete joke for me. Borg would eat him in straight sets if he faced him.

Mustard
05-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Look at how much Vilas did in such a short period of time. 8 tournaments wins in 14 weeks is sheer brilliance, and then he followed that up a month later by winning 4 tournaments in 4 weeks. Djokovic has 6 tournaments wins this year after around 23 weeks of the year.

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Look at how much Vilas did in such a short period of time. 8 tournaments wins in 14 weeks is sheer brilliance, and then he followed that up a month later by winning 4 tournaments in 4 weeks. Djokovic has 6 tournaments wins this year after around 23 weeks of the year.

Vilas could take all the time he wanted, he was NOT beating Borg on clay in 1977, or any year after 1974 for that matter. He barely beat a 17-year old Bjorn in 1973.

Mustard
05-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Vilas could take all the time he wanted, he was NOT beating Borg on clay in 1977, or any year after 1974 for that matter. He barely beat a 17-year old Bjorn in 1973.

Hang on. You can't blame Vilas for beating whoever was in front of him. Borg decided to play WTT in 1977, knowing that he'd make himself ineligible to participate in the 1977 French Open, a tournament that Vilas won for the loss of just 1 set. As for the 1977 US Open, it was unfortunate for Borg that he got injured against Stockton in the Round of 16, but that's the way it goes. Nadal had similar bad luck at the 2011 Australian Open against Ferrer.

And actually, Vilas did beat Borg 6-3, 1-6, 6-1 on clay in the semi finals of the 1980 World Team Cup. That ended Borg's 43 wins in a row streak and saved Vilas' own 46 wins in a row streak record.

stringertom
05-13-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not discrediting his run. I do think, however, that Djokovic's run has been far better even lacking those 10 additional wins he has to collect to beat it.

Vilas has beaten only 7 top 15 players (only 5 top 10 players) during his streak.

Djokovic has beaten Fedal more often than Vilas did any top 10 player during the streak. Not to mention Fedal is light years better than any player from the 1977 except maybe Borg (whom Vilas didn't even face once)

It's riddiculous.

You say you're not discrediting Vilas' run yet you've posted at least five times referring to the streak as a "joke". Are you for something before you're against it? You have a career ahead of you in politics because you have perfected the flip-flop. Perhaps change your handle from "Tennis_Pro" to "Anti_Pro" because you are all over the place. What's ridiculous is every post you've made. You don't build up one player by knocking down a legend from another era who won major titles on three different continents, none of which were in "S. America or freaking Africa"!

tennis_pro
05-13-2011, 06:01 PM
You say you're not discrediting Vilas' run yet you've posted at least five times referring to the streak as a "joke". Are you for something before you're against it? You have a career ahead of you in politics because you have perfected the flip-flop. Perhaps change your handle from "Tennis_Pro" to "Anti_Pro" because you are all over the place. What's ridiculous is every post you've made. You don't build up one player by knocking down a legend from another era who won major titles on three different continents, none of which were in "S. America or freaking Africa"!

Maybe you misuderstood what I said as I'm not a native speaker.

What I ment was that although Vilas had a great run in 1977, I think Djokovic's is WAY better given all the circumstances. Sorry for the mess. I'm done with this thread, hope Djokovic gets 46+ wins and will prove that his streak is indeed better.

powerangle
05-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Thanks for that link. Interesting. From the looks of it, Djokovic's run pales a little bit in comparison to some of those runs, if you factor in the surfaces and number of best-of-five matches. If Djokovic wins Rome and then RG though, I'll change my mind. That would make Novak's streak include two slams, and beating Nadal probably like 5 times (assuming Novak faces Rafa again in Rome and RG finals)...lol

stringertom
05-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Maybe you misuderstood what I said as I'm not a native speaker.

What I ment was that although Vilas had a great run in 1977, I think Djokovic's is WAY better given all the circumstances. Sorry for the mess. I'm done with this thread, hope Djokovic gets 46+ wins and will prove that his streak is indeed better.

Your English is fine for a "non-native". If you read many of my posts on other threads, you would find I'm in complete awe of Djokovic's current run. Specifically, the twin trifectas vs. Fedal is unprecedented for a player entering the fray as a #3 or lower rank. However, the sheer volume of competition Vilas engaged in vs. today's schedule truly eliminates any fair comparison of two different players from these generations. I have watched both eras and would agree the overall level of athleticism is significantly higher now. Doesn't mean the top tier players from the 70s would get steamrolled by the current crop. Just don't knock them for being the forerunners to modern tennis. Trust me, Vilas was not a "joke", rather he was a 70s version of Nadal w/o the OCD. Don't give up on the thread but, at the same time, don't pull down other players to make today's players seem bigger.

Blue Drop
05-13-2011, 07:45 PM
*****ovic's streak will end when he resorts to his old ways and calls in a trainer because of "breathing problems." He'll then curse the crowd when they boo him, and his rude parents will flip everyone off as they leave the stadium.

aceX
05-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Djokovic defeats Murray

38 wins in a row.

36 wins in a row this year.

Next opponent: R Nadal

glazkovss
05-14-2011, 11:59 PM
That match against Murray was awesome and gruelling. Today Novak's streak will face an even more difficult test than in Madrid: beating Rafa on slower claycourt while having not much left in the tank, both phisically and mentally. Good luck to him, he will need it.

jean pierre
05-15-2011, 08:32 AM

It's riddiculous.

During these 46 matches, Vilas beated Connors, McEnroe, Gottfried, Tanner ...

tennis_pro
05-15-2011, 08:38 AM
During these 46 matches, Vilas beated Connors, McEnroe, Gottfried, Tanner ...

Beating an 18-year old McEnroe on clay is hell of an achievement.

aceX
05-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Djokovic defeats Nadal on clay again, wins Rome Masters.

39 wins in a row.

37 wins in a row this year.

tennis_pro
05-15-2011, 12:52 PM

39 wins in a row.

I'm seriously starting to think this is a dream and I'm gonna wake up in a short while. This is surreal!

glazkovss
05-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Have you seen what is printed on the back of Novak's dad's T-shirt? It lookss like the number of matches of his son's streak and the names of the titles he won with Madrid printed brightly at the top of the list with number 34. I noticed it at the end of the match, probably after the last point, when Novak's team were celebrating.

Fedace
05-15-2011, 12:58 PM
GREAT streak on clay but is it a FAIL if he does NOT win the french open ??

Cassius Clay
05-15-2011, 01:13 PM

I think he has peaked too soon this season, he will be SPENT by the time the majors are played.

The Djoker
05-15-2011, 01:14 PM
I think the streak will end at the French Open; every player brings their A-game to majors, and he has had a good, but surely tiring run.
On a similar note, I do not think that Nadal will be the one to break the streak, and I don't think Nadal will win the French open unless he gets an easy draw. His backhand is looking bad and these loses to Nole have surely taken a toll on his mental health (although I think Nadal is extremely strong, mentally).

Murray has played very well against both NOle and Nadal on Clay in te past few months, and I would not be surprised to see him make a run to the FO final.

My two cents...

Devilito
05-15-2011, 01:17 PM
McEnroe’s streak ended in the finals of the French and started a downward spiral. Agassi’s streak ended in the finals of the US Open which started a downward spiral. Same thing might happen to Djok. It’s not only physically but mentally tiring to keep it up that long. And to have a letdown in the final of a slam after a long run must be a huge downer

jackson vile
05-15-2011, 01:18 PM

It is a great achievement no matter what and no one can take this record form him. It is simply amazing that we have not one but two players that are destroying Federer's would be legacy.

Who the hell know, perhaps Novak could go the whole year unbeaten winning everything.

The GOD slam.

MaiDee
05-15-2011, 01:20 PM

39 wins in a row.

Please, keep counting!

TMF
05-15-2011, 01:22 PM
It is a great achievement no matter what and no one can take this record form him. It is simply amazing that we have not one but two players that are destroying Federer's would be legacy.

WTF?

I know you're bitter but it can't be this pathetic.

kishnabe
05-15-2011, 01:26 PM
LOL...bravo for Novak....at least 99 percent of tennis knowledgeable's thought the streak will end today. I guess Djoker thought differently!

JCF
05-15-2011, 01:30 PM
GET THE **** IN !!!!!!!

why are people still sh*ting on Nole's achievments ??

jackson vile
05-15-2011, 01:32 PM
LOL...bravo for Novak....at least 99 percent of tennis knowledgeable's thought the streak will end today. I guess Djoker thought differently!

Actually it was Dards that started posts saying that he would lose to Nadal.

So blame your own people LOL

tennis_pro
05-15-2011, 01:44 PM

What's a Dard? Seriously.

jackson vile
05-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Dard
Sard
etc

JCF
05-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Also, why are people going on that Djokovic will be spent
in a few months ?

well if he is spent then I guess Nadal will be too - he is playing the same amount of matches as him....

tennis_pro
05-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Dard
Sard
etc

How can you tell the difference between a *********** and, say, a Ferrerotard if they're both ****s according to you? You're just taking the first letter of the surname and end it with a -***

jackson vile
05-15-2011, 02:12 PM
How can you tell the difference between a *********** and, say, a Ferrerotard if they're both ****s according to you? You're just taking the first letter of the surname and end it with a -***

Only potential "GOATS" are of any concern, we just ignore the rest. Take a look at all the threads. They are either Nadal, Sampras, Federer, Djokovic, etc based.

CCNM
05-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Congratulations Novak on your Rome win. I am VERY glad to see someone challenging Rafa on clay. Good luck to both at Roland Garros.

8PAQ
05-15-2011, 02:23 PM

It called strategic preemptive excuse making. We did it to make sure *********s have less satisfaction in case Nadal wins. An experienced troll like yourself should know this!

pmerk34
05-15-2011, 02:27 PM
McEnroe’s streak ended in the finals of the French and started a downward spiral. Agassi’s streak ended in the finals of the US Open which started a downward spiral. Same thing might happen to Djok. It’s not only physically but mentally tiring to keep it up that long. And to have a letdown in the final of a slam after a long run must be a huge downer

Yes losing that French Open in 1984 started a downward spiral of him winning Wimbledon a month later, winning the Us Open in September that year over Lendl and winning The Masters that year again over Lendl.

Ripster
05-15-2011, 02:32 PM
When will the streak end? It looks like he's going into Roland Garros as perhaps THE favourite. So we might have to wait until Wimbledon.

pmerk34
05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
When will the streak end? It looks like he's going into Roland Garros as perhaps THE favourite. So we might have to wait until Wimbledon.

In this posters opinion he doesn't need Roland Garros anyway. If he loses in that mud pit but wins either Wimbledon or the US Open or both he is the clear cut number 1.

Fedace
05-15-2011, 02:37 PM
I say David Ferrer WILL take out Novak at the French open

The Djoker
05-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I say David Ferrer WILL take out Novak at the French open

I say Murray will

tenis1
05-15-2011, 03:05 PM
I say the streak will end by Novak losing to Murray in Queens.

stringertom
05-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Who the hell know, perhaps Novak could go the whole year unbeaten winning everything.

The GOD slam.

Nothing Djokdal ever accomplish will tarnish Fed's legacy! A great champion, an even better person and a tireless ambassador for the game will gracefully conclude his career as GOAT without compromise by the achievements of his pseudo-contemporaries. If his major title count is eclipsed, which I doubt, it won't make Fed's accomplishments any smaller. To claim that shows total ignorance of our great sport.

Mustard
05-15-2011, 03:26 PM

I think it will end against Nadal in the French Open final. We'll have to wait and see.

sp00q
05-15-2011, 03:30 PM
So how does the fight for #1 look now? If Djokovic makes the finals at RG, is he #1 or not?

Mainad
05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
I say it will end in the early rounds of the FO or Wimbledon to a much lower ranked player when Djoko finally gives in to his craving for a pizza!

tenis1
05-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I think it will end against Nadal in the French Open final. We'll have to wait and see.

Fair enough. If Novak is healthy I like his chances in RG after what we saw so far, despite not listening to me and tanking Rome to give himself a bit more rest :)

But you never know.

Mustard
05-15-2011, 03:32 PM
So how does the fight for #1 look now? If Djokovic makes the finals at RG, is he #1 or not?

If Djokovic gets to the French Open final, he will definitely become number 1 on the 6th June 2011, even if Nadal wins the tournament.

billnepill
05-15-2011, 03:35 PM

The GOD slam.

hahaha

This is getting pathetic. Get a life.

Legend of Borg
05-15-2011, 03:37 PM

The GOD slam.

Unless Hafa and Nole break into Fed's trophy room a la Sampras and divide the spoils, I don't see his 16 Slams getting taken away.

Fedace
05-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Novak is over-rated on clay. I say these are flash in the pan type of wins.

aceX
05-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah Novak - you beat Nadal four times in a row but we still don't believe you can actually beat Nadal

JCF
05-16-2011, 09:09 AM

That's grand, then Novak will win wimbledon !!!!

how many points is Queens ? 500 ?

Mainad
05-16-2011, 10:00 AM
how many points is Queens ? 500 ?

It's a 250.

Mustard
05-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Queen's Club is by far the most respected 250 tournament. It should be a 500 event.

montrealforum
05-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Novak is over-rated on clay. I say these are flash in the pan type of wins.

that sounds like wishful thinking. Djokovic has played magical tennis all year and especially to beat Nadal the last four times. Nothing flukey about these wins, he earned them the hard way over a raging, ferocious and proud champion who was taken down kicking, screaming and scratching like a rabid dog. Djokovic has proved he is NEXT EMPEROR.

Mustard
05-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Djokovic has proved he is NEXT EMPEROR.

Not yet. Djokovic still has to conquer Nadal's domain at Roland Garros.

Legend of Borg
05-16-2011, 10:26 AM

And then at Wimbledon, and then at the US Open, and then he has to win 9 Slams, and then he has to improve his H2H and then he has to be able to speak Spanish, and then he has to be humble, etc. ad nauseum

Caracalla
05-16-2011, 10:34 AM

unfortunately Nadal will conquer himself if he doubts for a second that Djokovic will hurt him on RG.. and if he does doubt, I don't blame him..

Mainad
05-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Queen's Club is by far the most respected 250 tournament. It should be a 500 event.

Should be a Masters (the only one on grass).:cool:

aceX
05-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Should be a masters for sure.

Sentinel
05-18-2011, 09:58 PM
A Donald-**** ? Wait, that's a Yard, and there are none discovered as yet. They exist hypothetically.

A Delpotro **** ? They pop in and out of existence like everything in the universe.

A Davydenko **** ? Extinct I think, if there ever were any.

Gizo
05-18-2011, 11:18 PM
The Queen's Club tournament directors are probably happy that it is a 250 event rather than a 500 one, because they can still attract the same strong field while being able to award less prize money and meet less ATP tournament requirements. A win-win situation for them, as the field wouldn't be any stronger if it was a 500 event.

Still i do think that both Queen's and Halle should have been made 500 events, instead of weak tournaments like Memphis for example.

Gizo
05-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Maybe Djokovic's 3 Hopman Cup victories in January should be counted as part of his winning streak, increasing it to 42 victories in a row, and 40 in a row in 2011. Certainly these matches I think are just as relevant as McEnroe's Davis Cup dead rubber against Florin Sergarceanu in 1984. Davis Cup live rubbers are a totally different matter of course, but if meaningless dead rubbers are counted, so should the Hopman Cup matches in my opinion.

In terms of most consecutive victories to start a season, McEnroe's 3 victories at the 1983 Masters that were actually played in January 1984 shouldn't be counted as part of the 1984 season. So McEnroe officially opened 1984 with 39 consecutive victories. If we continue to count McEnroe's dead rubber win and ignore Djokovic's Hopman Cup exploits, which is wrong in my opinion as either they should both be counted or neither of them should, Djokovic needs to reach the 4th round of the French Open to record the best start to a season.

aceX
05-19-2011, 04:52 AM
Maybe Djokovic's 3 Hopman Cup victories in January should be counted as part of his winning streak, increasing it to 42 victories in a row, and 40 in a row in 2011. Certainly these matches I think are just as relevant as McEnroe's Davis Cup dead rubber against Florin Sergarceanu in 1984. Davis Cup live rubbers are a totally different matter of course, but if meaningless dead rubbers are counted, so should the Hopman Cup matches in my opinion.

In terms of most consecutive victories to start a season, McEnroe's 3 victories at the 1983 Masters that were actually played in January 1984 shouldn't be counted as part of the 1984 season. So McEnroe officially opened 1984 with 39 consecutive victories. If we continue to count McEnroe's dead rubber win and ignore Djokovic's Hopman Cup exploits, which is wrong in my opinion as either they should both be counted or neither of them should, Djokovic needs to reach the 4th round of the French Open to record the best start to a season.

Interesting stuff

aceX
05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
43 wins in a row including Hopman Cup.

40 tour wins in a row.

41 wins in a row this year including Hopman Cup.

38 tour wins in a row this year.

aceX
05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Next Opponent:
Victor Hănescu

Sentinel
05-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Please let's stop adding "Cup" wins to the streak. These matches are played between countries and are do not have an open field. You can also select which to play. Besides the fact that you can tailor the court to your need (for host, esp Davis Cup).

TheNatural
05-23-2011, 10:06 PM
if Djoker loses the final at least he will have a 3 slam final streak.

aceX
05-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Please let's stop adding "Cup" wins to the streak. These matches are played between countries and are do not have an open field. You can also select which to play. Besides the fact that you can tailor the court to your need (for host, esp Davis Cup).

Haters gonna hate.

Post the non-cup streak if you want, there is no-one stopping you.

Gizo
05-24-2011, 12:05 AM
The Hopman Cup is an ITF event, not some random exhibition, so I don't see why singles matches in this competiton shouldn't be counted towards winning streaks, player activities, head to head records etc.

The ITF website which is far better and more reliable than the ATP website, counts the Hopman Cup matches in Djokovic's official 2011 player activity. That is good enough for me. Also because only the 2 group winners in the Hopman Cup reach the final, all 3 of Djokovic's single matches were 'live'.

Therefore as far as I'm concerned, Djokovic's official winning streak is 43 matches, and 41 matches in 2011. He has already broken McEnroe's record of putting together the longest winning streak at the start of a season.

Gizo
05-24-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm quite enjoying Djokovic's winning streak. I don't dislike Nadal or Federer at all, but I really like the fact that someone else has been taking the limelight from them, enjoying all this success and making history.

Hopefully the 383 week streak of only Federer or Nadal holding the world no. 1 ranking since February 2004 will end as soon as possible. A different player ranked as world no. 1 would be a breath of fresh air for men's tennis.

Hitman
05-24-2011, 02:44 AM
I'm quite enjoying Djokovic's winning streak. I don't dislike Nadal or Federer at all, but I really like the fact that someone else has been taking the limelight from them, enjoying all this success and making history.

Hopefully the 383 week streak of only Federer or Nadal holding the world no. 1 ranking since February 2004 will end as soon as possible. A different player ranked as world no. 1 would be a breath of fresh air for men's tennis.

This is exactly how I feel! :) I'm totally cool with him beating my favorites, because as a tennis fan, his emergence has brought new excitment to the sport. And makes the anticipation for future events to have a better buzz.

stringertom
05-24-2011, 06:26 AM
This is exactly how I feel! :) I'm totally cool with him beating my favorites, because as a tennis fan, his emergence has brought new excitment to the sport. And makes the anticipation for future events to have a better buzz.

^^^^
My feelings exactly but to keep the buzz going a younger rival must emerge in the next couple of seasons. Fed will challenge through '12, maybe '13. Rafa looks flummoxed vs. Nole and is not used to the battering he is currently receiving. That will take a heavy psychological toll on him. Someone else must step up and make it a four- or five-horse race.

Early on, Raonic looks promising. He has the tools to win majors but he needs the seasoning only provided by experience. This is just his second major.

Cilic has been a major disappointment. The former world #2 junior has a SF major on his resume but has regressed since. ???

Tomic & Dmitrov...several years away if they keep progressing.

Gulbis...utter collapse after a promising start to '10. Go and get consolation from your street girls and then lay on the couch with Dr. Freud!

Although not "younger", there will always be the Brit Brat. So much potential if tapped into with a solid coach laying down the law. No more whining and screaming at the box. No more major finals meltdowns. Learn to close and we might have Fedal-esque rivalry for years. Call it Murrkovic!

glazkovss
05-24-2011, 07:51 AM

Sounds fair to me, I had the same thoughts a couple of months ago but as I followed the news on the ATP official site I found out that they don't include HCup matches (ofcourse they don't - it is not an ATP event) in the streak. Its a weird situation, as DC is also run by ITF, non ATP, and DC matches are counted while HC ones are not. Who should judge this? I guess if we are speaking about records than the last word should be said by Guinness:)
In my opinion HC wins should be included. But then why in such cases don't include matches played in Abu-Dhabi for example? I think because in team events, even such half-exhibition as HC, you play for your country and teammates, so your should put on a reasonable effort to not let them down. While at exos you play for yourself (money) and spectators (they need spectacular shots), so you can show some tricks of your own and don't care too much about winning. By the way, did Serbia win HC and who Novak beat there?

Gizo
05-24-2011, 08:45 AM
By the way, did Serbia win HC and who Novak beat there?

USA won the Davis Cup this year. Serbia actually finished top of the group and were due to play USA in the final. However Ivanovic picked up an injury and they had to withdraw. Belgium who finished 2nd in Serbia's group took their place in the final. Djokovic's 3 singles victories were against Andrey Golubev, Lleyton Hewitt and Ruben Bemelmans.

I think any ATP or ITF affiliated event should count in this winning streak, and as the Hopman Cup is an ITF event, it counts.

The ATP website is not very reliable, and until recently didn't include qualifying matches in players' results databases.

The ITF website (as expected) counts all ATP and ITF affiliated matches, and that's what should be used to decide which matches count in my opinion.

Tammo
05-24-2011, 08:58 AM
It won't end till queens. Alll of his next opponents will come into the match thinking they can beat him then they fall apart after losing the 1st set.

aceX
05-25-2011, 03:16 PM
44 wins in a row including Hopman Cup.

41 tour wins in a row.

42 wins in a row this year including Hopman Cup.

39 tour wins in a row this year.

Next opponent: Juan Martin del Potro

stringertom
05-25-2011, 08:19 PM
USA won the Davis Cup this year. Serbia actually finished top of the group and were due to play USA in the final. However Ivanovic picked up an injury and they had to withdraw. Belgium who finished 2nd in Serbia's group took their place in the final. Djokovic's 3 singles victories were against Andrey Golubev, Lleyton Hewitt and Ruben Bemelmans.

I think any ATP or ITF affiliated event should count in this winning streak, and as the Hopman Cup is an ITF event, it counts.

The ATP website is not very reliable, and until recently didn't include qualifying matches in players' results databases.

The ITF website (as expected) counts all ATP and ITF affiliated matches, and that's what should be used to decide which matches count in my opinion.
Obviously, the DC won't be determined until late fall. Next up: US vs. Spain in Austin after Wimby. Wonder if Roddick will be in the line-up. Would be a shame not to see him play in his hometown.

Gizo
05-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Obviously, the DC won't be determined until late fall. Next up: US vs. Spain in Austin after Wimby. Wonder if Roddick will be in the line-up. Would be a shame not to see him play in his hometown.

LOL I meant to type Hopman Cup there and not Davis Cup of course. I'm really looking forward to that US-Spain Davis Cup tie. As long as Roddick is fit he will play.

aceX
05-26-2011, 02:12 AM
I wonder if the US will use an ultra fast hard court to help Roddick, Isner, Querrey

Tammo
05-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Nadal at the FO

stringertom
05-26-2011, 07:31 AM
I wonder if the US will use an ultra fast hard court to help Roddick, Isner, Querrey

Spanish DCers have protested coz the chosen indoor HC (same as San Jose) isn't on an "approved" list and they are "unfamiliar" with it. They need only ask Ferdasco, the '11 SJ finalist, about bounce and speed. There is a YouTube moment showing a Raonic kicker serve midgetizing him during the final.

Eric Fan
05-26-2011, 07:54 AM
I think he can break the record and continue to make a new record.

glazkovss
05-26-2011, 07:55 AM
44 wins in a row including Hopman Cup.

41 tour wins in a row.

42 wins in a row this year including Hopman Cup.

39 tour wins in a row this year.

Next opponent: Juan Martin del Potro

Thanks for keeping it up to date! :) But 4 different streaks is just too much for me to handle:) Maybe on this thread we should count it only including HC results, as the streak without it is followed by ATP website and the ones who think it is more fair can follow it there or don't follow it at all.
Also, to avoid controversials with Mac's Masters matches let's count the streaks through two years. So it'll be 44 straight wins for Djokovic, 2 short of all-time record held by Vilas. Pure and simple:)

aceX
05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Djokovic vs Del Potro match delayed at 1 set all.

Djokovic going down, baby!

aceX
05-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Streak:
(Total streak, 2011 total, 2011 non-ITF total)

Non-ITF total = 2011 non-ITF total

Davis Cup Final, Serbia; 03.12.2010; ITF; Indoor: Hard; France vs Serbia

Gilles Simon (FRA) 42 W 6-3, 6-1, 7-5
Gael Monfils (FRA) 12 W 6-2, 6-2, 6-4

(2,0,0)

Hopman Cup, Australia; 01.01.2011; ITF; Indoor: Hard; Draw: 8 teams

RR Andrey Golubev (KAZ) 36 W 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
RR Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) 54 W 6-2, 6-4
RR Ruben Bemelmans (BEL) 178 W 6-3, 6-2

(7,3,0)

R64 Ivan Dodig (CRO) 81 W 7-5, 6-7(8-10), 6-0, 6-2
Q Tomas Berdych (CZE) 6 W 6-1, 7-6(7-5), 6-1
S Roger Federer (SUI) 2 W 7-6(7-3), 7-5, 6-4

(14,10,7)

S Tomas Berdych (CZE) 7 W 6-7(5-7), 6-2, 4-2 RET

(19,15,12)

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells, CA, U.S.A.; 10.03.2011; 1000; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 96

(25,21,18)

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami, FL, U.S.A.; 23.03.2011; 1000; Outdoor: Hard; Draw: 96

W Rafael Nadal (ESP) 1 W 4-6, 6-3, 7-6(7-4)

(31,27,24)

W Feliciano Lopez (ESP) 37 W 7-6(7-4), 6-2

(35,31,28)

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid, Spain; 01.05.2011; 1000; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 56

(40,36,33)

S Andy Murray (GBR) 4 W 6-1, 3-6, 7-6(7-2)
F Rafael Nadal (ESP) 1 W 6-4, 6-4

(45,41,38)

French Open, France; 23.05.2011; GS; Outdoor: Clay; Draw: 128

R128 Thiemo de Bakker (NET) 83 W 6-2, 6-1, 6-3
R64 Victor Hanescu (ROM) 71 W 6-4, 6-1, 2-3 RET
R16 Juan Martin del Potro (ARG) 32 W 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
(48,44,41)

Credit to Raoul_Duke

aphex
05-28-2011, 05:25 PM
The dope is strong with this one...

aceX
05-28-2011, 09:07 PM
The dope is strong with this one...

I'll admit it... I loled.

glazkovss
05-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Why you have total 7 wins instead of 5 after HC?
And IMO w/o shouldn't be counted...

05-29-2011, 10:45 AM
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3083/djokovicmanual.jpg

Towser83
05-29-2011, 11:00 AM
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3083/djokovicmanual.jpg

Hahaha!

Shouldn't the "manual" be a post it note though, that says "hope Novak forgets his raquets"?

Tammo
05-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Might as well add Fognini to the list.

Gizo
05-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Congratulations to Djokovic for equalling Vilas's record of 46 victories in a row. An amazing streak.

mellowyellow
05-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Hahaha!

Shouldn't the "manual" be a post it note though, that says "hope Novak forgets his raquets"?

I was thinking, "why does this guy look like he is reading something when nothing has been written yet as no one seems to know"

tennis_pro
05-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Might as well add Fognini to the list.

:)

bring on the federer-djokovic semi already

Towser83
05-29-2011, 02:50 PM
I was thinking, "why does this guy look like he is reading something when nothing has been written yet as no one seems to know"

Must be a list of what's failed? :)

aceX
05-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Streak:

(2,0,0)

(5,3,0)

(12,10,7)

(17,15,12)

(23,21,18)

(29,27,24)

(33,31,28)

(38,36,33)

(43,41,38)

R32 Juan Martin del Potro (ARG) 32 W 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
R16 Richard Gaqsuet (FRA) 16 W 6-4, 6-4, 6-2

(47,45,42)

These values include the single walkover. Minus one if you don't count it.

Credit to Raoul_Duke

aceX
05-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Why you have total 7 wins instead of 5 after HC?
And IMO w/o shouldn't be counted...

7 was an error, thanks for pointing that out.

Yeah the walkover... The reason I choose to include it is because the ranking points reflect it as being a win just like any other win. But I've included a note for those who don't think it should be counted.

nole4life
05-30-2011, 01:21 AM
UPDATE

1 Guillermo Vilas 46 1977
2 Ivan Lendl 44 1981-82
3 Novak Djokovic 43 2010-2011
4 John McEnroe 42 1984
5 Bjorn Borg 41 1979-80
= Roger Federer 41 2006-07
7 Bjorn Borg 35 1978
= Thomas Muster 35 1995
= Roger Federer 35 2005
10 Rafael Nadal 32 2008
= Rod Laver 31 1969
12 Björn Borg 29 1977
= Björn Borg 29 1979
= Pete Sampras 29 1994
15 Jimmy Connors 28 1974
16 Björn Borg 26 1977
= Andre Agassi 26 1995
= Roger Federer 26 2004-05
= Rafael Nadal 26 2006

This streak is never going to end!!!!!:)

nole4life
UPDATE

2 Ivan Lendl 44 1981-82
4 John McEnroe 42 1984
5 Bjorn Borg 41 1979-80
7 Bjorn Borg 35 1978
= Thomas Muster 35 1995
= Roger Federer 35 2005
10 Rafael Nadal 32 2008
= Rod Laver 31 1969
12 Björn Borg 29 1977
= Björn Borg 29 1979
= Pete Sampras 29 1994
15 Jimmy Connors 28 1974
16 Björn Borg 26 1977
= Andre Agassi 26 1995
= Rafael Nadal 26 2006

nole4life
UPDATE

2 Ivan Lendl 44 1981-82
4 John McEnroe 42 1984
5 Bjorn Borg 41 1979-80
7 Bjorn Borg 35 1978
= Thomas Muster 35 1995
= Roger Federer 35 2005
10 Rafael Nadal 32 2008
= Rod Laver 31 1969
12 Björn Borg 29 1977
= Björn Borg 29 1979
= Pete Sampras 29 1994
15 Jimmy Connors 28 1974
16 Björn Borg 26 1977
= Andre Agassi 26 1995
= Rafael Nadal 26 2006

nole4life
UPDATE

2 Ivan Lendl 44 1981-82
4 John McEnroe 42 1984
5 Bjorn Borg 41 1979-80
7 Bjorn Borg 35 1978
= Thomas Muster 35 1995
= Roger Federer 35 2005
10 Rafael Nadal 32 2008
= Rod Laver 31 1969
12 Björn Borg 29 1977
= Björn Borg 29 1979
= Pete Sampras 29 1994
15 Jimmy Connors 28 1974
16 Björn Borg 26 1977
= Andre Agassi 26 1995
= Rafael Nadal 26 2006

nole4life
UPDATE

2 Ivan Lendl 44 1981-82
4 John McEnroe 42 1984
5 Bjorn Borg 41 1979-80
7 Bjorn Borg 35 1978
= Thomas Muster 35 1995
= Roger Federer 35 2005
10 Rafael Nadal 32 2008
= Rod Laver 31 1969
12 Björn Borg 29 1977
= Björn Borg 29 1979
= Pete Sampras 29 1994
15 Jimmy Connors 28 1974
16 Björn Borg 26 1977
= Andre Agassi 26 1995
= Rafael Nadal 26 2006

nole4life
UPDATE

2 Ivan Lendl 44 1981-82
4 John McEnroe 42 1984
5 Bjorn Borg 41 1979-80
7 Bjorn Borg 35 1978
= Thomas Muster 35 1995
= Roger Federer 35 2005
10 Rafael Nadal 32 2008
= Rod Laver 31 1969
12 Björn Borg 29 1977
= Björn Borg 29 1979
= Pete Sampras 29 1994
15 Jimmy Connors 28 1974
16 Björn Borg 26 1977
= Andre Agassi 26 1995
= Rafael Nadal 26 2006

nole4life
UPDATE

2 Ivan Lendl 44 1981-82
4 John McEnroe 42 1984
5 Bjorn Borg 41 1979-80
7 Bjorn Borg 35 1978
= Thomas Muster 35 1995
= Roger Federer 35 2005
10 Rafael Nadal 32 2008
= Rod Laver 31 1969
12 Björn Borg 29 1977
= Björn Borg 29 1979
= Pete Sampras 29 1994
15 Jimmy Connors 28 1974
16 Björn Borg 26 1977
= Andre Agassi 26 1995
= Rafael Nadal 26 2006

nole4life
UPDATE

2 Ivan Lendl 44 1981-82
4 John McEnroe 42 1984
5 Bjorn Borg 41 1979-80
7 Bjorn Borg 35 1978
= Thomas Muster 35 1995
= Roger Federer 35 2005
10 Rafael Nadal 32 2008
= Rod Laver 31 1969
12 Björn Borg 29 1977
= Björn Borg 29 1979
= Pete Sampras 29 1994
15 Jimmy Connors 28 1974
16 Björn Borg 26 1977
= Andre Agassi 26 1995
= Rafael Nadal 26 2006

nole4life
UPDATE

2 Ivan Lendl 44 1981-82
4 John McEnroe 42 1984
5 Bjorn Borg 41 1979-80
7 Bjorn Borg 35 1978
= Thomas Muster 35 1995
= Roger Federer 35 2005
10 Rafael Nadal 32 2008
= Rod Laver 31 1969
12 Björn Borg 29 1977
= Björn Borg 29 1979
= Pete Sampras 29 1994
15 Jimmy Connors 28 1974
16 Björn Borg 26 1977
= Andre Agassi 26 1995
= Rafael Nadal 26 2006

nole4life
UPDATE

2 Ivan Lendl 44 1981-82
4 John McEnroe 42 1984
5 Bjorn Borg 41 1979-80
7 Bjorn Borg 35 1978
= Thomas Muster 35 1995
= Roger Federer 35 2005
10 Rafael Nadal 32 2008
= Rod Laver 31 1969
12 Björn Borg 29 1977
= Björn Borg 29 1979
= Pete Sampras 29 1994
15 Jimmy Connors 28 1974
16 Björn Borg 26 1977
= Andre Agassi 26 1995
= Rafael Nadal 26 2006

1970CRBase
05-30-2011, 01:41 AM
Does a walkover count as a win?

batz
05-30-2011, 01:42 AM
Nole is into the semis - Fognini has withdrawn. The Streak stays where it is.

Hitman
05-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Nole is into the semis - Fognini has withdrawn. The Streak stays where it is.

He can't tie Vilas now with a win at the French. It can only happen now at Queens.

ledwix
05-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Djokovic still gets points for "beating" Fognini, right? So he is still guaranteed #1 if he wins his next match?

MichaelNadal
05-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Ouch for Federer, RESTED Novak in the semi's. What's he have, a 3 day break? Ouch for Rafa too.

aceX
05-30-2011, 02:06 AM
Am I tripping or did that guy just post that update 10 times?

niff
Djokovic still gets points for "beating" Fognini, right? So he is still guaranteed #1 if he wins his next match?
Yup, points are not affected.

TennisFan3
Ouch for Federer, RESTED Novak in the semi's. What's he have, a 3 day break? Ouch for Rafa too.

LOL! Fedal are in deep sh** now. They can't even hope to tire Novak!

aphex
05-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Am I tripping or did that guy just post that update 10 times?

Could it be both?

MichaelNadal
05-30-2011, 02:08 AM

VERY VERY deep. Just give Novak the trophy now :( They have zero chance with a completely rested Novak. He's sipping a fruit smoothie now in his hotel room with bunny slippers.

ViscaB
05-30-2011, 02:08 AM

It's not that great for Novak. It breaks his rhytm.

MichaelNadal
05-30-2011, 02:09 AM
It's not that great for Novak. It breaks his rhytm.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/112010/kombat-skateboard.gif

aceX
05-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Does a walkover count as a win?

I personally would count it as a win since he gets the points. I seem to be in the minority.

niff
05-30-2011, 02:13 AM
There was no hope of that, we saw in Rome :p

aceX
05-30-2011, 02:22 AM
In my opinion this is nothing but a huge advantage for Novak. Forget these 3 days breaking his rhythm, he's the most match-hardened guy behind Rafa (who has arguably played too many).

aphex
05-30-2011, 02:23 AM
I personally would count it as a win since he gets the points. I seem to be in the minority.

Ok, you're definitely tripping.

Hitman
05-30-2011, 02:27 AM
In my opinion this is nothing but a huge advantage for Novak. Forget these 3 days breaking his rhythm, he's the most match-hardened guy behind Rafa (who has arguably played too many).

I agree. Novak getting four straight days of rest and focusing on the semi, while Federer still has quarter final to play, and Nadal still has to get out of his fourth round match. This is a huge blow mentally to those remaining in the draw, knowing that Novak will be well rested for the final sprint...since the finish line is now within sight for him.

I don't think anyone expected him to falter in his quarter final, but obviously they would have wanted him to extend his court time. Not gonna happen now.

aceX
05-30-2011, 02:30 AM
Streak:

(2,0,0)

(5,3,0)

(12,10,7)

(17,15,12)

(23,21,18)

(29,27,24)

(33,31,28)

(38,36,33)

(43,41,38)

R32 Juan Martin del Potro (ARG) 32 W 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
R16 Richard Gaqsuet (FRA) 16 W 6-4, 6-4, 6-2
Q Fabio Fognini (ITA) 49 W W/O

(48,46,43)

Minus Walkovers:
(46,44,41)

aceX
05-30-2011, 02:33 AM
I agree. Novak getting four straight days of rest and focusing on the semi, while Federer still has quarter final to play, and Nadal still has to get out of his fourth round match. This is a huge blow mentally to those remaining in the draw, knowing that Novak will be well rested for the final sprint...since the finish line is now within sight for him.

I don't think anyone expected him to falter in his quarter final, but obviously they would have wanted him to extend his court time. Not gonna happen now.

The tournament is like climbing a mountain that takes X hours to get to the top. For Federer and Nadal, Novak is now hours ahead of them.

Gizo
05-30-2011, 02:36 AM
I agree that Fognini's retirement is not a bad thing for Djokovic. He is already battle hardened and he is hardly short of match practice this year.

I also don't think that his walkover wins against Tipsarevic at Belgrade and Fognini in Paris should count. If those opponents had retired after just one point had been played, then I would count these victories, but not if they withdraw before the first point.

So he has lost 2 victories in his streak through walkovers, but gains 3 through the ITF Hopman Cup, for a net result of +1. He already equalled Vilas's 46 consecutive victories by beating Gasquet yesterday.

aceX
05-30-2011, 02:37 AM
Until today I thought that Rafael was still the favourite.

Today I say that this is Novak's French Open to lose.

aceX
05-30-2011, 02:41 AM
I agree that Fognini's retirement is not a bad thing for Djokovic. He is already battle hardened and he is hardly short plenty of match practice this year.

I also don't think that his walkover wins against Tipsarevic at Belgrade and Fognini in Paris should count. If those opponents had retired after just one point had been played, then I would count these victories, but not if they withdraw before the first point.

So he has lost 2 victories in his streak through walkovers, but gains 3 through the ITF Hopman Cup, for a net result of +1. He already equalled Vilas's 46 consecutive victories by beating Gasquet yesterday.

I just know that if it was me contesting the longest streak I would argue that my walkovers should count. Of course I would be biased but my argument would be "It's good enough for the ATP, so it doesn't matter whether you think they count. The official Association of Tennis Professionals says it is a win. You've got nothing on that. To them and me it is a win. Nothing less."

Pidgeon
05-30-2011, 02:42 AM
Bye bye easy points Djokovic

aceX
05-30-2011, 02:44 AM
Bye bye easy points Djokovic

You do realise that Novak gets just as many points now as he would have if his match against Fabio had gone to 20 games all in the fifth set?

Pidgeon
05-30-2011, 02:46 AM
You do realise that Novak gets just as many points now as he would have if his match against Fabio had gone to 20 games all in the fifth set?

Yes don't mean points i mean easy win for his record...
Sorry bout that

niff
05-30-2011, 02:50 AM
I just know that if it was me contesting the longest streak I would argue that my walkovers should count. Of course I would be biased but my argument would be "It's good enough for the ATP, so it doesn't matter whether you think they count. The official Association of Tennis Professionals says it is a win. You've got nothing on that. To them and me it is a win. Nothing less."
The ATP line is that a walkover is "neither a win or a loss", but they say your streak ends if you give one...

It would be cool for Novak to get to 50.

FlamEnemY
05-30-2011, 02:51 AM
It's not going to break his rhythm. Seriously, Fognini? This guy would have been routined 6-2 6-2 6-2, not much momentum gained from that... And neither would Djokovic have been tired from the match. I'm sure he'll be spending A LOT of time on the courts, preparing for the SF clash with Fed.

MichaelNadal
05-30-2011, 02:52 AM
The tournament is like climbing a mountain that takes X hours to get to the top. For Federer and Nadal, Novak is now hours ahead of them.

Days my friend, days. Rafa's gotta play 2 matches to get where Novak is now o_O!!

aceX
05-30-2011, 02:57 AM
The ATP line is that a walkover is "neither a win or a loss", but they say your streak ends if you give one...

Strange, I could have sworn you said something about 49 wins for borg in 1978...

Did you mean 1980? Surely he didn't have 8 walkovers?

aceX
05-30-2011, 02:58 AM
Days my friend, days. Rafa's gotta play 2 matches to get where Novak is now o_O!!

I was more thinking of hours spent on court. But you're right, too.

aceX
05-30-2011, 03:02 AM

I found this:

ROME (AP) — Rafael Nadal went to a hospital for a checkup following a dizzy spell Thursday, although he was not planning to withdraw from the Rome Masters.
Nadal will attempt to extend his 73-match clay-court winning streak later Thursday against Mikhail Youzhny.

"Everything is OK. It was just a routine checkup. He's playing tonight," Nadal's spokesman Benito Barbadillo said. "It was the same as yesterday. He was just feeling a little dizzy, that's it."

Nadal said he felt dizzy after his second-round win over Daniele Bracciali on Wednesday.

Even if he does withdraw, Nadal's streak will remain in intact.

"A withdrawal is not considered a loss or a win," ATP spokesman Nicola Arzani said.

niff
05-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Strange, I could have sworn you said something about 49 wins for borg in 1978...

Did you mean 1980? Surely he didn't have 8 walkovers?

I found this:
Borg gave 2 walkovers in the middle of a 49 win streak in 1978 (including Davis Cup), ATP officially counting it as 35 now. Which is confusing as you see with the official ATP line on walkovers as neither a win or loss.

aceX
05-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Also found this

I got confirmation from the atp:

"Borg did have a streak of 41 in 1979-80 and he also had a mark in 1978
of 35 matches in a row not 49 because he had two walk overs in successive
tournaments. It was Borg's decision to withdraw in the middle of the
tournament not his opponent. A losing walk over ends a streak while a
winning walk over allows it to continue without counting the victory by
walk over.

This was agreed in consultation with the ITF. Hope that helps!"

The only problem I have with this is that they keep changing their minds on this, a few years ago the ATP said that Borg had the record with 49.

Its a kinda strange ruling since a walkover doesn't count in win/loss records nor head-to-head records, but apparently counts in this matter.

Not counting walkovers, Borg won 48 straight matches from '79-'80 in addition to his 49 in '78(and I think we all can agree the World Team Cup probably is the most meaningless event on tour, so his win streak at real tournaments in '80 then arguably went on a bit longer. Amazing that Borg had so many long win streaks in his career that only got interruped by walkovers(& retirements as well it seems)

Regardless I probably feel Vilas should have the record(though as urban said all news reports in 1977 said it was 50 match streak, not 46, it is a record that has apparently been altered by the atp over the years), even though according to their rules Borg should have it.

And the fact that he won so many matches in consecutive weeks, unlike Borg & Federer who did it over a longer period of time is pretty impressive(though he never got to play Borg during that streak in '77!), even though they were all on clay.

aceX
05-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Okay, I guess it doesn't really matter exactly how the winning streak is counted as long as the counting is consistent.

It makes me realise that every streak is more than a number and that it is worth noting the various matches which could potentially be included.

ViscaB
05-30-2011, 03:21 AM
It's not going to break his rhythm. Seriously, Fognini? This guy would have been routined 6-2 6-2 6-2, not much momentum gained from that... And neither would Djokovic have been tired from the match. I'm sure he'll be spending A LOT of time on the courts, preparing for the SF clash with Fed.

By definition it's breaking a rhytm. He has no game to play for a few days now. I'm sure he would prefer playing an actual match.

Towser83
05-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Does anyone think that taking 4 days off could actually knock him out of his stride? I think 2 days is idea, but 4 days is a bit much.

Actually feel sorry for Novak cos he would have beaten Fognini and racked up another win. Now he can't equal Lendl's 44 unless he wins the final?

If it does benifit him though than that kind of makes up for being the unlucky one who drew Del Potro. I think to come through Del Potro and Federer and then have to beat Nadal is quite a task.

Mustard
05-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Djokovic will equal Lendl's 44 if he wins his semi final. He would also become world number 1 on the 6th June.

Towser83
05-30-2011, 01:32 PM
sorry i meant he can't beat Lendl's 44.

aceX
06-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Well, it was a great run while it lasted.

vive le beau jeu !
06-07-2011, 02:21 AM
so the final count is 43... between 2 losses to roger.
(46 if we include the hopman cup)

that was impressive. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/icons/icon14.gif