PDA

View Full Version : Best/worst players to hide their weakness

Mortifier
04-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Sitting here watching Bellucci play it just sprang to my mind how awful he is at hiding/compensating for his weak backhand. He could take a few lessons from Gonzalez or Lopez for instance.

Best
Gonzalez - hiding and diversifying his game with the backhand
Lopez - see Gonzo
Ferrer - his serve is weak but somehow I find it underrated. He creates some decent angles and often gains the upper hand with it (though never any 'cheap points')
Roddick - has learned how to rally with his backhand and using it rather as a tool than a weapon

Worst
Bellucci - the guy tries to hit a winner off his weaker wing way too often
Chardy - see Bellucci

That's just a few guys that come to mind. Got any suggestions guys?

wy2sl0
04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Karlovic backhand under the worst column. /Thread

Marty502
04-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Roddick goes to the net more than he should, at moments when he shouldn't, and we all know how his volleys usually turn out.

And Verdasco is waaaay too hot headed and he doesn't hide it. Anyone who consistantly hits the ball harder than him, drives him mad rather quickly.
I've seen him lose his temper against Gonzalez's forehand bombs (who started to hit even harder after Verdasco exploded on court), against Del Potro's bombs,
against Karlovic and Raonic's serves, dissing them with body language or expressions at one moment or another.

And Monfils just does about everything that can be done wrong, wrong. It's like he exposes all his weaknesses on a plate to his opponents before going on court.
"See, if I go up to the net and you shoot me a parallel, I'll ALWAYS do a Jordan like there's a bucket full of t**s right there".

IvanisevicServe
04-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Tsonga doesn't hide the backhand, and that's been his downfall, along with injuries.

CanadianChic
04-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Roddick?? Come on. His weakness is fast food and I'll never forget when he had to forfeit a match due to diarrhea. Carry on...

Mortifier
04-28-2011, 03:27 AM
Roddick goes to the net more than he should, at moments when he shouldn't, and we all know how his volleys usually turn out.

And Verdasco is waaaay too hot headed and he doesn't hide it. Anyone who consistantly hits the ball harder than him, drives him mad rather quickly.
I've seen him lose his temper against Gonzalez's forehand bombs (who started to hit even harder after Verdasco exploded on court), against Del Potro's bombs,
against Karlovic and Raonic's serves, dissing them with body language or expressions at one moment or another.

And Monfils just does about everything that can be done wrong, wrong. It's like he exposes all his weaknesses on a plate to his opponents before going on court.
"See, if I go up to the net and you shoot me a parallel, I'll ALWAYS do a Jordan like there's a bucket full of t**s right there".

Yeah, I very much agree with you on Verdasco and Monfils. Good calls.

Almagro can sometimes overhit his backhand when he's out of court, instead of rallying. Not nearly as much as the other guys we've mentioned though.

Tsonga, how could I forget... his match against Cuevas yesterday was an example of that (along with him not being a very good player on clay of course).

Gulbis shot selection is often way off. Still, maybe that's not a "weakness to hide".

Daniel Gimeno-Traver has gotten way worse with hiding his backhand. Before he could rally with it, now he's worse than awful...

coloskier
04-28-2011, 01:55 PM
I've got to say that Nadal and Murray hide their pitiful serves pretty well with their defense.

Mortifier
04-30-2011, 05:37 AM
I've got to say that Nadal and Murray hide their pitiful serves pretty well with their defense.

I wouldn't say that their serves are that pitiful. But you can make an argument that their defense really does help them get points of offensive returns from the opponents.

Petzschner has got one of the weakest backhands I've seen but his slice has got some serious bite to it. He also uses it intelligently.

Clay lover
04-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Tsonga doesn't hide the backhand, and that's been his downfall, along with injuries.

Agree, Tsonga's backhand was seriously the worst backhand I've seen from a (former) top 10 player for quite a while.

His fellow Frenchman Gasquet, on the other hand, has a creampuff of a forehand and doesn't hide it very well either (not like he COULD hide it anyway).