PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's topspin greater effect than gravity?

Lawn Tennis
04-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Does Nadal hit with enough topspin that he could keep the ball in play on the moon ??

This question could go in different directions - just curious to the responses..

sureshs
04-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Moon has almost no atmosphere so the Bernoulli principle which causes topspin effect would be absent.

BrooklynNY
04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Topspin > The Personal Computer

Lawn Tennis
04-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Moon has almost no atmosphere so the Bernoulli principle which causes topspin effect would be absent.

Great point. Now instead let's assume there is a tennis facility here on earth with no gravity.

sureshs
04-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Great point. Now instead let's assume there is a tennis facility here on earth with no gravity.

Same: no gravity, no atmosphere :-)

Unless you create a no gravity situation by spinning a chamber like NASA uses.

In that case Nadal would also be floating around, so I doubt he could properly hit the ball.

Gorecki
04-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Nadal's topspin cures Malaria and Flatulence!!!

these threads are getting more and more specific!!! and ridiculous!

tennisdad65
04-27-2011, 01:01 PM

then my underspin drives will circle the earth or take off into space.. :)

ksbh
04-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Poor OP, all he has to do is call Sunny Deol for a perfect scientific bollywood style explanation but the fool decides to try his luck here! :)

Murrayfan31
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Nadal's spin could cure cancer.

sureshs
04-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Poor OP, all he has to do is call Sunny Deol for a perfect scientific bollywood style explanation but the fool decides to try his luck here! :)

Sunny Deol can do anything and is not limited by science

sureshs
04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
I heard that one Nadal top spin shot has enough energy to cleanly meet all of humanity's energy needs for the next 120 years.

heftylefty
04-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Nadal's spin could cure cancer.

Nadal's spin has put the Rapture on hold. God help us once he retires.

Gorecki
04-27-2011, 01:49 PM
nadal's spin makes Honey Rambol cheese, wich any gourmand will confirm is delicious!!!

vive le beau jeu !
04-27-2011, 02:03 PM
nadal could not breathe on the moon, and that would be great ! :)

Manus Domini
04-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Nadal spins the ball so quickly it transcends the space-time continuum

Sid_Vicious
04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
In 2005, Rafa hit a heavy forehand that resulted in the heavily spun ball landing in the gulf of mexico. Hurricane Katrina was caused by that ball and it's vicious topspin.

Cassius Clay
04-27-2011, 05:16 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ccwh8lLipVM/TTXMqFiRUlI/AAAAAAAABfE/ldkbu_ol2O8/s1600/TOPSPIN_4_cover.jpg

BigForehand
04-27-2011, 05:59 PM

the downforce effect has nothing to do with Bernoulli's principle you noob.

I can't expect much from a ******* anyways, so I guess we should let him slide...

fredshino
04-27-2011, 06:57 PM

You're wrong. The topspin on the ball creates an area of high pressure on top of the ball and low pressure below the ball, making the trajectory bend downwards. That's what the Bernoulli's principle explains...

Sentinel
04-28-2011, 04:53 AM
When Nadal goes to the moon, due to the mass transfer of his left bicep, the earth will start revolving around the moon, its atmosphere will follow Nadal, and his topspin will work just fine. However, whenever Mirka moves (on Earth) there could be tidal waves on the Moon.

Totai
04-28-2011, 04:58 AM

The swiss are conspiring against Nadal!

vive le beau jeu !
04-28-2011, 05:08 AM
how dare you (all of you) speak about physics in the absence of the emeritus Pr. Nadal_Freak ?!
(or has he reincarnated, maybe ?)
please at least call Dr. Fedace to share your views with an expert... ;)

sureshs
04-28-2011, 07:36 AM

On the top, the layers of air touching the ball move in the opposite direction to the air, lowering the velocity, and thus increasing the pressure (Bernoulli's principle). Opposite on the lower surface. This differential pressure cause the ball to dip down.

It is opposite to the lift on underspin or on an airplane wing.

That is the conventional explanation anyway. If you are saying there are subtleties, it is possible. But bottomline is that the effect would be absent if there was no air.

sureshs
04-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Nadal spins the ball so quickly it transcends the space-time continuum

Nadal spins the ball so fast that a black hole is created.

Sentinel
04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
On the top, the layers of air touching the ball move in the opposite direction to the air, lowering the velocity, and thus increasing the pressure (Bernoulli's principle). .
tsk tsk
Rafa invented the Bernoulli principle.

Rafa picks black holes out of his .... :oops:
... Armani underwear.:)

sureshs
04-28-2011, 09:10 AM
tsk tsk

Rafa picks black holes out of his .... :oops:
... Armani underwear.:)

Do you have his used undies?

Gorecki
04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
tsk tsk

Humbalito invented the Bernoulis - all 8 of them....

stoutman11
04-28-2011, 10:58 AM
When Nadal goes to the moon, due to the mass transfer of his left bicep, the earth will start revolving around the moon, its atmosphere will follow Nadal, and his topspin will work just fine. However, whenever Mirka moves (on Earth) there could be tidal waves on the Moon.

omg that was funny to me!! thanks!!! genius!

ksbh
04-28-2011, 11:11 AM
ROFL! Suresh & Sentinel in top form in this thread! :)

Rock Strongo
04-28-2011, 11:14 AM
nadal could not breathe on the moon, and that would be great ! :)

WOAH! Now we're going a bit too far. I know you don't like Nadal but the only people that anyone should wish for to die (or be happy when they die) would be someone like Kim Jong-il. I mean, Nadal hasn't engaged into some dictatorship and commited genocide on a nation... yet.

sureshs
04-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Nadal's topsin creates hurricanes and tsunamis.

Dilettante
04-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Nadal's topspin cures Malaria and Flatulence!!!

these threads are getting more and more specific!!! and ridiculous!

I think Nadal's topspin has to have some gravity effect though, because you're instantely attracted to any thread with the Nadal name on it.

vive le beau jeu !
04-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I mean, Nadal hasn't engaged into some dictatorship and commited genocide on a nation... yet.
you said it yourself... not yet !!! ;)

ksbh
04-28-2011, 12:46 PM
ROFL cube! Top post!

Add Dilettante to the list with Suresh & Sentinel! As they say, you folks are right 'on the ball'! :)

I think Nadal's topspin has to have some gravity effect though, because you're instantely attracted to any thread with the Nadal name on it.

Alex13
04-28-2011, 12:52 PM

and Delpotro's massive flat forehands create earthquakes

Bobby Jr
04-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Same: no gravity, no atmosphere :-)
Mmmm. The gasses which are normally held in place by gravity which make up the atmosphere can be mimicked without gravity - such as inside a satellite/space-ship. They wont be layered of course but the key properties can easily by created - density/pressure/temperature etc.

That said, it's a kind of a pointless idea. Like wondering who would win if you played tennis with a ball of fried chicken.

(Nalbandian obviously)

Sentinel
04-28-2011, 08:25 PM
So Nadal is like a LHC, or his topspin is ?? You have a point. If he goes anything beyond 5000 rpm, he could create antimatter and destroy the solar system.

Gorecki
04-29-2011, 12:26 AM

you can see right thru me!!!:neutral:

i must admit: i am a nadal fan!

Gorecki
04-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Scratch record

Pimplmao x Batatoon

Scratch record

Lets all becomenig a fans of Honey Rambol & Baskin Robins father joke maker.

Scratch record

ROFL cube! Top post!

Add Dilettante to the list with Suresh & Sentinel! As they say, you folks are right 'on the ball'! :)

EndLy
04-29-2011, 12:34 AM
this is starting to sound like a chuck norris website.

Nextman916
04-29-2011, 12:47 AM
Iv'e heard Nadals topspin lit a fart let out by an innocent bystander! Thats incredible!

Sentinel
04-29-2011, 01:05 AM
:shock: I did not know Nadal's fart had topspin on it ! :shock: