PDA

View Full Version : The most devastating games of all time?

BrooklynNY
04-27-2011, 07:53 PM
The 'Is Fed the smoothest game of all time' thread gave me this idea..

Who or what group of players have the most brutal or devastating games of all time? A lot of times you hear of a player 'taking the racquet out of players hand', what players do you think exemplify this? I like elegant, nice looking tennis, but I also love some power, and players that play a big game and when they are in the zone, they just bring an unplayable game to the table.

Some picks that come to mind off top are obviously Sampras and Nadal, and maybe even a Soderling or Del Potro, possibly Marat Safin? I'm not so familiar with this era, but I've heard Pancho Gonzalez brought a big game to the table. Any others? What do you guys think?

Tesla was serb
04-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Who or what group of players have the most brutal or devastating games of all time? A lot of times you hear of a player 'taking the racquet out of players hand', what players do you think exemplify this? I like elegant, nice looking tennis, but I also love some power, and players that play a big game and when they are in the zone, they just bring an unplayable game to the table.

Some picks that come to mind off top are obviously Sampras and Nadal, and maybe even a Soderling or Del Potro, possibly Marat Safin? I'm not so familiar with this era, but I've heard Pancho Gonzalez brought a big game to the table. Any others? What do you guys think?

What about:
Richard Krajicek
Goran Ivanisevic
Boris Becker
Kevin Curren
Andrea Gaudenzi
Stich (not as much)
Gonzo

Devilito
04-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Petros at his best on carpet must have been about as painless as being incinerated by a 50 megaton hydrogen bomb.

MichaelNadal
04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Nothing is as devastating as this game.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/112010/kombat-subway.gif

tenis1
04-27-2011, 11:12 PM
^^^ Why was this disturbing and gruesome picture necessary? What was the point? What was the purpose?

MichaelNadal
04-27-2011, 11:24 PM
^^^ Why was this disturbing and gruesome picture necessary? What was the point? What was the purpose?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/3056871500_14f7fdff18.jpg

Mortifier
04-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Soderling on his day would be first player that comes to mind. McEnroe stated that "he could've beaten anyone that day" when he ousted Federer last year at the FO. Look at the highlights - Fed is not playing bad, Sod was just in an entire new league

piece
04-28-2011, 03:06 AM
Soderling on his day would be first player that comes to mind. McEnroe stated that "he could've beaten anyone that day" when he ousted Federer last year at the FO. Look at the highlights - Fed is not playing bad, Sod was just in an entire new league

Yeah. That was beyond devastating.

accidental
04-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Sampras would be my first pick. Players used to say that when he was playing well you could go an entire match without getting a decent swing at the ball

Lendl and Becker would be similar on their day too imo.

Gorecki
04-28-2011, 04:06 AM
i would say Bobele!!!

PSNELKE
04-28-2011, 04:12 AM
i would say Bobele!!!

yeah bobele was awesome. :D

Gorecki
04-28-2011, 04:24 AM
yeah bobele still is awesome. :D

after watching him in Black rock i must make a correction

Andres
04-28-2011, 04:28 AM
Ivanisevic service games on carpet.

BHud
04-28-2011, 05:03 AM
Early Roddick...serve and forehand combo.

0d1n
04-28-2011, 05:11 AM
What about:
Richard Krajicek
Goran Ivanisevic
Boris Becker
Kevin Curren
Andrea Gaudenzi
Stich (not as much)
Gonzo

Why is Andrea Gaudenzi on that list ?? He was a grinder with mediocre (for a pro) movement. What's so devastating about that ?? And Gonzo...yeah...if you take forehand only into consideration.
The rest ... I can see.

borg number one
04-28-2011, 05:18 AM
Mark Philippoussis and Boris Becker could both really just "bomb away". There are many guys with devastating games mentioned in the thread. Goran Ivanisevic is another guy that I would certainly mention. Even Stich could be very devastating. From the 70's-80's, I'd include some guys like Roscoe Tanner, Colin Dibley, and Victor Amaya (especially on fast courts).

ksbh
04-28-2011, 06:14 AM
NY ... do you really need to ask? The maestro, Pete Sampras without a doubt! :)

For groups, I'd think the Australian cricket team in the early part of the last decade. Quite unstoppable they were!

single_handed_champion
04-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Federer. Back when he was supreme, you could see how he suffocated opponents in set after set, holding with ridiculous ease with beautifully placed serves, and then chilling through return games till he saw a small opening midway through a set and boom... 6-3 or 6-4, easy as pie.

struggle
04-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Boom Boom.

when he was on, lookout.

cucio
04-28-2011, 07:00 AM
Federer. Back when he was supreme, you could see how he suffocated opponents in set after set, holding with ridiculous ease with beautifully placed serves, and then chilling through return games till he saw a small opening midway through a set and boom... 6-3 or 6-4, easy as pie.

That sounds very efficient and clinical, but not overly devastating, you know?

NamRanger
04-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Pancho, Arthur Ashe, Connors, Safin, Sampras, Federer, Becker, etc. are just a few. Goran on grass or carpet, as well as a few other guys.

Wilander Fan
04-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Federer. Even now, alot of guys just give up before they walk on the court.

Gaudio2004
04-28-2011, 08:05 AM
On grass ->
Sampras, Federer
On clay ->
Nadal, Borg, Vilas
On hard-court ->
Federer, Agassi
On carpet ->
Lendl, Becker

Well and truly, any 8+ GS champion, on a very good day, is unbeatable on any surface and most opponents could play the match of their lives (PHM vs Nadal RG 2006, Suzuki vs Federer AO 2007 are just two) and will still lose. Nadal can be unbeatable on a hard-court, for example.

The-Champ
04-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Any surface off clay, my vote goes to Sampras. When everything clicks for him, he was simply the greatest player I've ever seen, devastating serve with amazing net skills to back it up and a destructive fh to add to his arsenal.

glazkovss
04-28-2011, 08:44 AM
If you mean the toughest strokes to handle I would say DelPo and Sod's power, Nadal's spin.

fed_rulz
04-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Federer without a doubt. The number of bagels he delivered in his prime is ridiculous

MichaelNadal
04-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Federer without a doubt. The number of bagels he delivered in his prime is ridiculous

I'd say Federer too.

Sid_Vicious
04-28-2011, 01:04 PM
'taking the racquet out of players hand'

Based on this part of the OP, Sampras, Nadal, Safin, Krajicek, and Del Potro rightfully belong in the conversation, but so does Federer.

TennisFan3
04-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Sampras by a country mile.

Pistol Pete was the most authoritative player to ever play the game.

He could impose his game on his opponents in a way that no else ever did, ever will or ever could.

When Pete was ON, it didn't matter how good his opponents was; Pete just didn't let them play their game.

Bobby Jr
04-28-2011, 02:22 PM
I agree. When he was really dominating his serve-forehand combo was basically unstoppable. Those "60 second special" service games were about as good an example of dominating tennis as you could imagine - lumping more and more pressure on the opponent's next service game. That would be pretty demoralising - especially since he plays so quickly.. rushing opponents which surely disrupts their rhythm also.

Rock Strongo
04-28-2011, 02:32 PM
When it comes to pure devastation, one could not forget the short but rather good career of Joachim Johansson. Had it not been for all those injuries, he'd be the Krajicek of this generation, ie a danger to any opponent at any time. What he basically did was go "let's hit this ball as fast as I can and see what happens" and well, he beat Roddick in 4 sets at the USO and utterly destroyed Nadal in Stockholm.

Marty502
04-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Gonzalez in late 2006, early 2007 was a machine, and not just a forehand thing.

His backhand might be an ugly stroke but he had lots of pace on it.

His serve was deadly. His movement was top-notch.

He was very complete actually. I think it was pretty demolishing, just like Del Potro pre-surgery.

mental midget
04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
scud definitely comes to mind, not sure anyone's ever hit bigger off both wings, and his serve was a sledgehammer. just check out this footage of sampras v. a young Mabriella Sabbatoussis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20y8ZP30zks

FedExpress 333
04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
On Grass, and fast hard courts, i think fed and sampras were the most consistently devestating. although, at times goran can be too.

On clay/slow hard court: Nadal! he is just a beast on clay!

phnx90
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Agassi
Borg
Del Potro
F Gonzalez
Nadal
Philippoussis
Karlovic
Roddick
Sampras
Soderling

Nextman916
04-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Gulbis can be

gpt
04-29-2011, 01:13 AM

He could impose his game on his opponents in a way that no else ever did, ever will or ever could.

When Pete was ON, it didn't matter how good his opponents was; Pete just didn't let them play their game

Even Pistol Pete struggled when the Scud was firing

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/1999/wimbledon/news/1999/07/02/sampras_side/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20y8ZP30zks

aldeayeah
04-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Amongst current players, Sod and Delpo. Sod at his best hit line after line, and Delpo could fire winners even down the middle of the court.

Xemi666
04-29-2011, 02:59 AM
When it comes to pure devastation, one could not forget the short but rather good career of Joachim Johansson. Had it not been for all those injuries, he'd be the Krajicek of this generation, ie a danger to any opponent at any time. What he basically did was go "let's hit this ball as fast as I can and see what happens" and well, he beat Roddick in 4 sets at the USO and utterly destroyed Nadal in Stockholm.

6-4 and 7-6 is utterly destroy? Lol, okay. What do you call a 6-1 6-3 6-0 scoreline in a GS final, then?

Tennis_Monk
04-29-2011, 03:36 AM

When Pete was ON, it didn't matter how good his opponents was; Pete just didn't let them play their game.

Not Really.I understand some people are huge fans of Pistol Pete but you cant call his game devastating unless you qualify it with a GRASS court tag. Even there you have some good competition for Sampras.

I am sure you know Sampras's Clay court record.

On the other hand there are many players who can be devastating across surfaces. Now that is what qualifies , in my book, for most devastating games of all time.

Given the right conditions, most players are capable of playing a devastating game. The key is transcending that game across surfaces. Opponents should feel lost before they even enter the court as they would know this player can simply win by brutal display of Skill and power.Even players potentially ranked higher on this player should be concerned about playing this devastating player. In my book, again, this player should have solid credentials (ie should have won slams, etc).

Most TW forum member players are known for such devastating games but in Pro ranks we have far and few.

Tennis_Monk
04-29-2011, 03:39 AM
6-4 and 7-6 is utterly destroy? Lol, okay. What do you call a 6-1 6-3 6-0 scoreline in a GS final, then?

Damn Nadal. First he changes the Tennis game. Now he started defining standards for Utter destroys. There was a time when 6-4,7-6 used to be considered a respectable score. Not when Nadal loses with that score i guess.

runningmann
04-29-2011, 03:50 AM
Im pretty shocked no one said safin yet.

2000 us open?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w5r-sB75us

gpt
04-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Im pretty shocked no one said safin yet.

2000 us open?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w5r-sB75us

he got a mention in post 21

mandy01
04-29-2011, 05:25 AM
What's so devastating about Nadal's game? Ugly,perhaps.But to me he doesn't seem to be the kind of player who imposes his game on the opponent.
I could call him demoralizing though because the guy gets back everything you throw at him with considerable sting especially on clay.I'm often left wondering-How do you hit a winner against this guy?
I tend to think of brutally devastating games as those of the S&Vers particularly when they're seriously on(especially those who have a very strong serve).
edit-I do agree with OPs choices of DP and Safin when they're playing well .

Rock Strongo
04-29-2011, 05:36 AM

That's **** and kill, viking style.

Turns out that the word for foreful sexual assault is censored here.

kishnabe
04-29-2011, 05:41 AM
Soderling vs Del Potro is devastating enough!

BrooklynNY
04-29-2011, 06:38 AM
Soderling vs Del Potro is devastating enough!

Yeah, I can understand why some people don't like Sod - Delpo matches, but they are just cannon fests, the fearlessness in the shotmaking makes it worthy of watching alone.

I also mentioned Safin in the OP, his game is explosive when he wants to be.

NamRanger
04-29-2011, 06:46 AM

Considering that was Pim Pim's first tournament back after almost a 2 year layoff and Nadal had been playing constantly and constantly improving, yeah I'd say that's being "destroyed".

rkelley
04-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Most good players could have their day, and the great ones had a lot of days.

Mac could slice you to ribbons and make it look so effortless, especially in 84. Ask Connors about the 84 Wimbledon final. Lendl could blow people off the court. Again ask Connors. A decade earlier Connors was wasting everyone he played in 74. Navratilova was devastating around 83-84. Steffi looked unbeatable in 88. If Serena brings her A game there's not much anyone can do. Becker had a run in late 89 when he won the USO where he was just killing everyone he played. On a good day Sampras was just unstopable, and he had a lot of good days. Federer had about half a decade where he just looked like he could hit a winner any time, any where.

All of these players, and many many others, when they were on, were just imposing their games on their opponents. You could just watch and say to yourself, "How do you beat that?"

Rich

Rock Strongo
04-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Most good players could have their day, and the great ones had a lot of days.

Mac could slice you to ribbons and make it look so effortless, especially in 84. Ask Connors about the 84 Wimbledon final. Lendl could blow people off the court. Again ask Connors. A decade earlier Connors was wasting everyone he played in 74. Navratilova was devastating around 83-84. Steffi looked unbeatable in 88. If Serena brings her A game there's not much anyone can do. Becker had a run in late 89 when he won the USO where he was just killing everyone he played. On a good day Sampras was just unstopable, and he had a lot of good days. Federer had about half a decade where he just looked like he could hit a winner any time, any where.

All of these players, and many many others, when they were on, were just imposing their games on their opponents. You could just watch and say to yourself, "How do you beat that?"

Rich

Martina was devastating during the late 1880's too, and perhaps even in the real tennis era, but I wasn't alive by then.

phnx90
04-29-2011, 07:27 AM
Martina was devastating during the late 1880's too, and perhaps even in the real tennis era, but I wasn't alive by then.

1880s? HOLY **** :p

Netspirit
04-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Del Potro, late 2009.

Scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RcxYFBOehU&hd=1

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2009/11/27/1225804/519275-juan-martin-del-potro-tennis.jpg

Xemi666
04-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Considering that was Pim Pim's first tournament back after almost a 2 year layoff and Nadal had been playing constantly and constantly improving, yeah I'd say that's being "destroyed".

Considering you're a clown hater, I'd say you don't have a clue ;)

The-Champ
04-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Damn Nadal. First he changes the Tennis game. Now he started defining standards for Utter destroys. There was a time when 6-4,7-6 used to be considered a respectable score. Not when Nadal loses with that score i guess.

You have to realize that when Nadal beat Söderling 60 61 in Rome, *******s claimed the spaniard barely escaped that one..

MichaelNadal
04-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Del Potro, late 2009.

Scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RcxYFBOehU&hd=1

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2009/11/27/1225804/519275-juan-martin-del-potro-tennis.jpg

Oh absolutely. It was scary indeed. That forehand was on another level.

World Beater
04-29-2011, 10:17 AM
having the most power doesnt necessarily equate to being the most destructive.

most devastating to me = ability to win both serve and return games - giving the opponents almost no room to breathe.

BrooklynNY
04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
We might as well add Roanic circa january-march 2011. You know, before his prime ended.

:D

The Baseline
04-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Gonzalez has the biggest game ever. Hes just trying as hard as he can to hit with more pace on every shot. Its amazing and inspirational to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ReQmejWYy4

GOAT BAAH!!!
04-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Gonzalez has the biggest game ever. Hes just trying as hard as he can to hit with more pace on every shot. Its amazing and inspirational to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ReQmejWYy4

Definitely agree with Gonzo....when the guy is on his forehand is a bomb that demolishes the opponents and when his topspin backhand is working matches can slip away from people very quickly..........

wish he was more consistent throughout his career.....:cry:

Sid_Vicious
04-29-2011, 05:13 PM
That's **** and kill, viking style.

Turns out that the word for foreful sexual assault is censored here.
Too bad the viking was raped and killed Finnish style by Nieminen in the SF.

NamRanger
04-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Considering you're a clown hater, I'd say you don't have a clue ;)

So rather than address any of my arguments, you just insult me. Good to know that you are so mature.

Pim Pim had what, a 2 year lay off, shoulder surgery, and had to face Nadal early on. Despite the fact that it was an indoor court, and Pim Pim had the crowd behind him, it was still an amazing feat for Joachim Johansson to straight set Nadal, considering most top 10 players that year couldn't even beat Nadal indoors (in fact, very few of them could, I think only Federer and Berdych did that year or something like that).

But no, don't argue with logic. Just continue on with insulting me since that is all your feeble little mind can do.

Xemi666
04-30-2011, 05:09 AM
So rather than address any of my arguments, you just insult me. Good to know that you are so mature.

Pim Pim had what, a 2 year lay off, shoulder surgery, and had to face Nadal early on. Despite the fact that it was an indoor court, and Pim Pim had the crowd behind him, it was still an amazing feat for Joachim Johansson to straight set Nadal, considering most top 10 players that year couldn't even beat Nadal indoors (in fact, very few of them could, I think only Federer and Berdych did that year or something like that).

But no, don't argue with logic. Just continue on with insulting me since that is all your feeble little mind can do.

Good win =! utterly destroy. But apparently your hate glasses don't let you see that. But hey, I'll ask you the same question I did the other guy, what do you consider a 6-1 6-3 6-0 result in a slam final? :)

Nextman916
04-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Delpo isn't hitting that big anymore...