PDA

View Full Version : The Most Boring game of all time

Tennis_Monk
04-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Among ATP and WTA , who has the most boring game of all time. The players should have won atleast a Slam/year end masters to qualify for this "Most boring" title.

It is even hard to define what constitutes as Boring. Some might say predictable game (aka Roddick who mostly wins by bludgeoning serves) is boring. Then some have said federer was boring when he was his dominant best around the 2007's.Some have said Perrera was boring because he just lefty hooks his forehand into opponents backhand. Some have called Pete Sampras boring because he doesnt show his emotions.

I dont find any of the above to be one dimensional.But others may or may not agree.

My vote goes for Thomas Johansson but that could be because i know so little about his game.

Update : I happened to watch a few more of Thomas Johansson after some of the posts here and i dont find him boring any more. I guess then i dont have any one particular player (slam winner) that is boring.

vive le beau jeu !
04-29-2011, 05:04 AM
the nadal.

Hood_Man
04-29-2011, 05:12 AM
I've only watched tennis on a regular basis since 2008, before that I could only watch Wimbledon (and some years only the final), so in the short time I've ben able to watch it all year round I'd have to say Nadal on clay.

Saying that, Karlovic comes a close second. God only knows what I would have thought of the 90s if people aren't exaggerating about the "serve-fests" though.

rossi46
04-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Wilander & Chang for the men and no comment for the women as they are all boring.

Gorecki
04-29-2011, 05:40 AM
the nadal.

hater, delusional, __________ ******* in love with Federina (insert commonly used ******* adjective), etc...

Sentinel
04-29-2011, 05:52 AM
I've only been following tennis since 1979, so I've missed a lot, but I'd go with vive le beau's choice. However, I reserve the right to change my choice, if i see videos of players from earlier eras.

aphex
04-29-2011, 05:54 AM
hater, delusional, __________ ******* in love with Federina (insert commonly used ******* adjective), etc...

****s blahblahblahblahblah Federina blahblahblahblahblah...LOL

Blade0324
04-29-2011, 05:54 AM
For me maybe Becker or Sampras.

vive le beau jeu !
04-29-2011, 05:58 AM
I've only been following tennis since 1979, so I've missed a lot, but I'd go with vive le beau's choice. However, I reserve the right to change my choice, if i see videos of players from earlier eras.
it's said henri IV had a pretty boring jeu de paume game (maybe that's why he was assassinated ?).
got to find some youtube clip of him...

aphex
04-29-2011, 05:59 AM
For me maybe Becker or Sampras.

For me maybe Federer or McEnroe.

Rock Strongo
04-29-2011, 06:20 AM
I say Federer as I found it so incredibly boring to watch him win match after match and commentators kissing his medieval donkey. I don't deny that he's a brilliant player, but I think that the commentators ruined it for me as everything he does is the greatest thing of all time. I'm even sure they'd rate his pee as an all-time great.

feetofclay
04-29-2011, 06:37 AM
I have been following tennis for more years than I care to remember. My choice is Federer without a doubt. I can appreciate his achievements but his game bores me to distraction.

kishnabe
04-29-2011, 06:39 AM
I would say Monfils...

ivan_the_terrible
04-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Federer - he's so predictable. He either shanks or rolls over lesser opponents or struggles against same.

The current #1 is the polar opposite, how can one predict the MTO(s), the thudding of racquet against gimpy knees, the sudden clutching of thighs and other body parts?
The explosive bellowing at umpires, the Jack Nicholson-esque snarling at opponents, the jumping for joy (before the match begins), the cute zig-zag runs thereafter to the baseline.

Far from boring my friends, very far.

mellowyellow
04-29-2011, 07:21 AM
I say Federer as I found it so incredibly boring to watch him win match after match and commentators kissing his medieval donkey. I don't deny that he's a brilliant player, but I think that the commentators ruined it for me as everything he does is the greatest thing of all time. I'm even sure they'd rate his pee as an all-time great.

Agree with the comment, throw in Pete, Nadal, Andre, Rios...... Fed was fun to watch for the first half of the first set, then you realized it was only getting worse and the match would only be close in the second set because Fed got bored. Rios was a forehand to backhand nightmare to watch just like Nadal can be. Pete always had boring serve games, so you only watched half of a match. Andre was great in his younger years, but then he went to percentage tennis, and the only thing that accomplished was putting me to sleep consistently. Great respect for all of them and their abilities on the court just not the most entertaining when they are on. On a side note, the only time their were real serve-fest was on the fast indoor courts, US Open, and the "real" grass courts. Though back then their were many more than there are now.

Dilettante
04-29-2011, 07:21 AM
It's funny how the most unsuspected threads are constantly transformed into a nadal hate fest by Aphex, Gorecki and Vivelebeaujeu.

Gorecki
04-29-2011, 07:25 AM
It's funny how the most unsuspected threads are constantly transformed into a nadal hate fest by Aphex, Gorecki and Vivelebeaujeu.

Thank you very much. I aim to please you. no stripping and punishing involved unfortunately!!

rommil
04-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Rafa is like Emeril.

Dilettante
04-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Don't worry, that's Ninman's department, nobody can cover all the areas.

BrooklynNY
04-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Nadal and Sampras, their games are sometimes seemingly polar opposites of each other, and both have been described as boring.

rdis10093
04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
I would say Monfils...
he is so much fun to watch

Gorecki
04-29-2011, 07:52 AM
Don't worry, that's Ninman's department, nobody can cover all the areas.

hey.. i'm fat but not that fat!!!

too much Honey & Rambol

Sentinel
04-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Trust Rick Strongo and feetofclay to turn even the most innocuous thread into a Federer bashing one. And oh, did I mention ksbh and sureshs -- they haven't even woke up yet!!!
:D

Sentinel
04-29-2011, 08:12 AM
"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

-- Hermann Hesse (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Hermann_Hesse)

Rock Strongo
04-29-2011, 08:19 AM
Trust Rick Strongo and feetofclay to turn even the most innocuous thread into a Federer bashing one. And oh, did I mention ksbh and sureshs -- they haven't even woke up yet!!!

Lol mister Sentinel. I don't like Federer, but then I'm not such a big fan of Nadal either, so I guess it evens out:-P I like unpredictable players and big servers, who can also be boring at times. But you, you are never boring.:)

niff
04-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Not Federer ;)

dominikk1985
04-29-2011, 08:24 AM
the nadal.

nadals game is ugly but not boring. he is always good for highlight shots like crazy on the run passing shots.

I found hewitts game quite boring. women: a lot of them are boring.

ksbh
04-29-2011, 08:41 AM
My hands are tied, Herr Sentinel ... the culture of my country is such that a promise must be kept, even at the expense of an opportunity to bash giant n ... , sorry Federer! If not for that, you know what I would have done with these kind of threads! :)

groundbreaker
04-29-2011, 08:49 AM
I'd say for active pros...Soderling and Berdych. Mindless bashers (Soderling more so than Berdych).

feetofclay
04-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Why is giving my choice considered Federer bashing? I even said that I could appreciate his achievements, but I just don't like watching him. Each to his own. Was vive le beau jeu's choice Nadal bashing? Probably more than likely.

janie5jones
04-29-2011, 09:17 AM
I'd also say Federer. Although he's the most accomplished tennis player, he's not someone whose matches I would watch again for the thrill of it. Also, Gilles Simon---I admire his ability to come up with smart shots but his overall game is (on a subjective level) a bit 'boring'

This might be due to the rise of players who play riskier and/or scrappier games (aka Nadal, Del Potro, Verdasco, Ferrer, Berdych)...they're certainly more fun (but frustrating) to watch.

dominikk1985
04-29-2011, 09:20 AM
federer? are you kidding?

I'm not a fan of him at all but federer has a really exiting game. goes for winners, charges the net and has a lot of variety.

vive le beau jeu !
04-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Was vive le beau jeu's choice Nadal bashing? Probably more than likely.
amazing how a genuine answer to a simple question can be misinterpreted, sometimes...

GOAT BAAH!!!
04-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Murray.

followed closely by pusher era Roddick.

feetofclay
04-29-2011, 09:35 AM
amazing how a genuine answer to a simple question can be misinterpreted, sometimes...

Just as my original answer to this simple question was interpreted as Federer bashing.

Gorecki
04-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Why is giving my choice considered Federer bashing? I even said that I could appreciate his achievements, but I just don't like watching him. Each to his own. Was vive le beau jeu's choice Nadal bashing? Probably more than likely.

you should ask that to the person who started it all by acusing three posters of having an opinion and displaying it.

tenis1
04-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Roddick Andy.

Sentinel
04-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Lol mister Sentinel. I don't like Federer, but then I'm not such a big fan of Nadal either, so I guess it evens out:-P I like unpredictable players and big servers, who can also be boring at times. But you, you are never boring.
I was just making a dig at my good friend, Dilettante's post. :)

My hands are tied, Herr Sentinel ... the culture of my country is such that a promise must be kept, even at the expense of an opportunity to bash giant n ... , sorry Federer! If not for that, you know what I would have done with these kind of threads!
Stop picking Roger's nose, ksbh.

Now just waiting for sureshs to say "flaky backhand".

To get back to Nadal bashing, I don't think his games are boring, I love watching Nadal ... when he loses ;) (btw, this line has been used by many nadal fans to bash Fed, so it evens out, haha).
Don't lose sleep, ksbh, or send the ICBMs my way!

NLBwell
04-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Borg on clay, of course, and Chris Evert on clay back in the 100 stroke rally days.

Sentinel
04-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Just as my original answer to this simple question was interpreted as Federer bashing.
sorry, i posted the prev post ages back, but it got rejected due to too many smileys. I was just kidding about you and Strongo.

Marius_Hancu
04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
That I ever saw?

Lendl - Borg 1981 RG

I was close to vomiting.

vive le beau jeu !
04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
life is so unfair.

http://www1.plala.or.jp/BIGWAVE/ANIME4/IMAGE/calimero.jpg

ksbh
04-29-2011, 09:58 AM
First you call me a fan of the No. 2 all-time slam leader that can hardly take his lips off Federer's rear end. Then you say Sunny Deol is a C-grade actor! And now that I must stop picking Federer's nose, of all things!

Yet, Herr Sentinel ... as long as your extraordinary sense of humor is intact, there is hope! LOL!

Stop picking Roger's nose, ksbh.

Now just waiting for sureshs to say "flaky backhand".

To get back to Nadal bashing, I don't think his games are boring, I love watching Nadal ... when he loses ;) (btw, this line has been used by many nadal fans to bash Fed, so it evens out, haha).
Don't lose sleep, ksbh, or send the ICBMs my way!

Dilettante
04-29-2011, 10:07 AM
"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

-- Hermann Hesse (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Hermann_Hesse)

That Hesse guy wasn't even in the Top 100 of the ATP.

Hessetard.

Gorecki
04-29-2011, 10:11 AM
thinks to himself : i want to laugh out loud with Delitantte's joke for being really funny, but i fear he might find me having a sinister behaviour... ah forget it...

LMAO...

jackson vile
04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
********, "get it together man, you are having a melt down!"

feetofclay
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
sorry, i posted the prev post ages back, but it got rejected due to too many smileys. I was just kidding about you and Strongo.

No offence taken.

aphex
04-29-2011, 10:59 AM
That Hesse guy wasn't even in the Top 100 of the ATP.

Hessetard.

I got kind of bored with HH to be honest...I remember at some point starting The glass bead game and Damien but never finishing them ...

I'm more of a ThomasMannTard...

Netzroller
04-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Seriously guys, why turn every thread in a Fedal hate war?

Neither of them should even be mentioned in this thread.
Whether you like them or not, whether they win too often or not, it's simply wrong to call them boring. 90% of the greatest and most discussed tennis matches in the recent years have been with at least one of them let alone the level of play you get to see pretty much always when they set foot an a court.

BreakPoint
04-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Those who voted for Federer have never seen Harold Solomon play. :shock:

piece
04-29-2011, 06:10 PM
pusher era Roddick.

This. And Hewitt.

piece
04-29-2011, 06:12 PM
That I ever saw?

Lendl - Borg 1981 RG

I was close to vomiting.

Hahahaha. Only seen the YouTube of that bad boy. Never been able to get past the two minute mark.

Clay lover
04-29-2011, 06:35 PM
As a clay lover I don't find Nadal on clay boring, there are so many things he can do with the ball on that surface it's unreal. However, Nadal on hard 2005-2008 was unbearable for me. He basically transfers his whole clay court game on to the surface, minus the his superior movement on clay and his aggression on grass. He can manage a handful of good passing shots, but his normal rallies were just a push fest. When I watch Nadal play on hardcourts now it amazes me how much he has improved on that surface.

Federer isn't boring-he never has been. The predictability of his matches when he was dominating the field made his matches boring.

Sometimes it's all about match-ups. Players play differently against different opponents and sometimes the chemistry between players is what makes matches exciting/boring, so to me a player is never always boring/exciting.

Forehand Avenger
04-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Boring is subjective. Sometimes people will consider a player boring not based on style or skill, but rather on predictability of outcome. From that point of view, Nadal can be boring on clay (as in "predictable"). Also, he has an incredible defensive game, which I suppose can be "boring" if you want him to lose.

I find Nadal much more engaging than most players however, as he has been able to adapt like no other. That's exactly the key to his success.

As for boring, I think Sampras was rather boring myself. Then again, S/V is not my cup of tea and I think is hugely overrated by those who pine for the "good old days".

Forehand Avenger
04-29-2011, 06:53 PM
First you call me a fan of the No. 2 all-time slam leader that can hardly take his lips off Federer's rear end. Then you say Sunny Deol is a C-grade actor! And now that I must stop picking Federer's nose, of all things!

Yet, Herr Sentinel ... as long as your extraordinary sense of humor is intact, there is hope! LOL!
You mean that all along Federer was hiding behind that thing?

TheTruth
04-29-2011, 09:17 PM
In No Particular Order:

Roddick
Soderling
Robredo
Karlovic
Ancic

All equally boring

ucr_tennis90
04-29-2011, 09:22 PM
i appreciate everyone's style of play, but i just can't stand watching matches that involve two big servers going at it with the same thing every point: either ace or big serve, crap return, winner (Isner vs Mahut towards the end was too boring to watch). that being said, it's amazing that they can serve that fast, that accurately, all the time. i just can't personally watch it without falling asleep.

FedExpress 333
04-29-2011, 09:25 PM
On the men's side: Nadal-stadegy against all ohbh rightys: hit CC forehand. Repeat 10000000x
Roddick-Ace. FH winner. Get passed by fed 4x to lose the game. Repeat 1000000x

Women: EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!1

BreakPoint
04-29-2011, 09:30 PM
i appreciate everyone's style of play, but i just can't stand watching matches that involve two big servers going at it with the same thing every point: either ace or big serve, crap return, winner (Isner vs Mahut towards the end was too boring to watch). that being said, it's amazing that they can serve that fast, that accurately, all the time. i just can't personally watch it without falling asleep.
I thought the end of the Isner-Mahut match was incredibly exciting and gripping. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, it was so suspenseful. Can Mahut hold his serve again for the 65th consecutive time to stay in the match? Wow....just wow!!! The pressure was mentally exhausting for me watching, I can't imagine what it must have been like for Mahut. :shock:

TheTruth
04-29-2011, 09:44 PM

Totally agree.

That was the worst match ever, imo.

ucr_tennis90
04-29-2011, 09:59 PM
I thought the end of the Isner-Mahut match was incredibly exciting and gripping. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, it was so suspenseful. Can Mahut hold his serve again for the 65th consecutive time to stay in the match? Wow....just wow!!! The pressure was mentally exhausting for me watching, I can't imagine what it must have been like for Mahut. :shock:

that part was exciting, i did end up watching it on the last day of the match and it was intense when it came towards the very end of the match. the suspense was killing me honestly. but other than that, it was the same thing over and over. like i said, crazy impressive and everything about how long they played, etc. but will i ever watch it again? no way.

Sentinel
04-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Haha!

Yes, ksbh, you are a Sham-****. And he is the reason I stopped watching tennis in the 90's -- well I can't remember who exactly it was, perhaps some East European player ... one day i am gonna have to go back in time and pin down the culprit. Anyway, you get back to fawning over Sunny Deolight and Pete Sham pras, let me not hold you up.

BreakPoint
04-29-2011, 11:28 PM
that part was exciting, i did end up watching it on the last day of the match and it was intense when it came towards the very end of the match. the suspense was killing me honestly. but other than that, it was the same thing over and over. like i said, crazy impressive and everything about how long they played, etc. but will i ever watch it again? no way.
Well, of course not. I wouldn't either. There's really no reason to watch any match over again once you already know the result since all the suspense is gone. That's why there's really no reason to watch a Nadal match on clay. :) LOL

MichaelNadal
04-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Well, of course not. I wouldn't either. There's really no reason to watch any match over again once you already know the result since all the suspense is gone. That's why there's really no reason to watch a Nadal match on clay. :) LOL

How it his fault that he's so good on it? I can see if u were hating on someone with a boring game that was UNsuccessful, but if no one can step up and beat him that's a silly reason not to watch someone.

BreakPoint
04-30-2011, 12:20 AM
How it his fault that he's so good on it? I can see if u were hating on someone with a boring game that was UNsuccessful, but if no one can step up and beat him that's a silly reason not to watch someone.
Um.....where did I say it was Nadal's fault? :confused: There's no reason to watch his matches on clay because you already know what's going to happen. It's like watching the same movie over and over. Nothing changes, it's the same every time. Is a suspense movie as fun to watch if you've already seen it 50 times and know what's going to happen at the end? Doesn't mean it's the actor's fault.

MichaelNadal
04-30-2011, 12:26 AM
^Im failing to see how all the matches are "the same" just bc he wins them. That's like saying all Federer's grass court wins are exactly the same and there's no reason to watch them.

BreakPoint
04-30-2011, 12:32 AM
^Im failing to see how all the matches are "the same" just bc he wins them. That's like saying all Federer's grass court wins are exactly the same and there's no reason to watch them.
There's ALWAYS a reason to watch Federer play...on ANY surface....for the sheer artistic beauty and creativity. In fact, it's been called - "A Religious Experience". :)

Whereas, watching Nadal on clay is just watching him grind from the baseline and hit the same shots over and over until his opponent cries "Uncle!" and surrenders. Yawn.......

MichaelNadal
04-30-2011, 12:36 AM
There's ALWAYS a reason to watch Federer play...on ANY surface....for the sheer artistic beauty and creativity. In fact, it's been called - "A Religious Experience". :)

Whereas, watching Nadal on clay is just watching him grind from the baseline and hit the same shots over and over until his opponent cries "Uncle!" and surrenders. Yawn.......

Translation: Biased haters gonna hate.

BreakPoint
04-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Translation: Biased haters gonna hate.
Translation: There's a very good reason why the majority of people would rather watch paint dry than watch Nadal play on clay: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=377702

:)

Tennis_Monk
04-30-2011, 01:46 AM

I find watching Nadal play and win OR Federer play and win to be the same experience for me. Two different Artists performing.

Its hard for me to see why people find federer or nadal boring. But then, this is tw forum. where amazing happens ;)

Tony48
04-30-2011, 01:51 AM
ATP: Murray, Roddick, Nadal (most of the time) & Verdasco (most of the time).

WTA: Wozniacki

morten
04-30-2011, 01:51 AM
I'd say for active pros...Soderling and Berdych. Mindless bashers (Soderling more so than Berdych).

I agree. I also find Agassis game boring.. Btw OP, thomas Johanson is great to watch, great all round game..

kiki
04-30-2011, 03:48 AM
Among ATP and WTA , who has the most boring game of all time. The players should have won atleast a Slam/year end masters to qualify for this "Most boring" title.

It is even hard to define what constitutes as Boring. Some might say predictable game (aka Roddick who mostly wins by bludgeoning serves) is boring. Then some have said federer was boring when he was his dominant best around the 2007's.Some have said Perrera was boring because he just lefty hooks his forehand into opponents backhand. Some have called Pete Sampras boring because he doesnt show his emotions.

I dont find any of the above to be one dimensional.But others may or may not agree.

My vote goes for Thomas Johansson but that could be because i know so little about his game.

Update : I happened to watch a few more of Thomas Johansson after some of the posts here and i dont find him boring any more. I guess then i dont have any one particular player (slam winner) that is boring.

Most boring era: 2000s

Most boring player: Corrado Barazutti ( Carlsson and Luna very close)

Most boring match: most of todays and Dibbs-Solomon in the 70s and Nystrom-Carlsson in the 80s.

Hood_Man
04-30-2011, 04:15 AM
Regarding the Isner - Mahut match, if it had ended at something like 6-3 or 7-5 in the fifth set it would have been tedious. In fact there would probably have been articles sprouting up all over the internet about the "Rebirth of the Servers" or something, and how dull that would have been.

It was the pure "What the hell?" factor that made it one of the most memorable matches of 2010 for me, and the little ceremony held on court when the match ended was lovely.

But it also makes me laugh that it's so hard to find a highlight reel for the match that's longer than 4 minutes :lol:

Sentinel
04-30-2011, 06:06 AM
There's ALWAYS a reason to watch Federer play...on ANY surface....for the sheer artistic beauty and creativity. In fact, it's been called - "A Religious Experience".

Yeah, but for some of the vociferous posters here, Nadal is even better than a religious experience, he's an org***ic experience :D :twisted:

Kobble
04-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Everbody gets a bit boring at times in their career. Gaudio or Thomas Johansson might have been the most boring slam winners, but neither is truly boring all the time.

Not boring was:

Federer vs. Safin
Federer vs. Nadal (earlier)
Sampras vs. Agassi
Sampras vs. Kuerten
Sampras vs. Safin

YodaKnowsBest
04-30-2011, 06:13 AM
I don't watch any of the King's matches anymore. They have become so predictable.

Sentinel
04-30-2011, 06:25 AM
I don't watch any of the King's matches anymore. They have become so predictable.
ROFL !!!

You mean predictable as in retiring midway :twisted:

The King has a tough draw at Madrid. Hope he makes it to the final. Best of luck.

YodaKnowsBest
04-30-2011, 06:46 AM
ROFL !!!

You mean predictable as in retiring midway :twisted:

The King has a tough draw at Madrid. Hope he makes it to the final. Best of luck.

Thanks, but the King doesn't need any luck. Can you give me the link of the draw? :)

Forehand Avenger
04-30-2011, 06:48 AM

I don't think God would cry in a trophy ceremony. On the other hand, Fed does have an omnipotent nose. :)

Underhand
04-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Del Potro is a boring ball basher. Walks like an undertaker between points.

Sentinel
04-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Del Potro is a boring ball basher. Walks like an undertaker between points.
So who is he supposed to walk like? Michael Jackson ? Fred Astaire ? Shrek ?

mctennis
04-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Anything with a top 10 player playing a WC or a lower #150 player. So boring wasting time on TV with a match like that. Then hearing the announcers trying to make the match exciting. There has to be cameras on other courts with more interesting matches being played.

tennis_pro
04-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Most boring 1995'+ :

Nadal (special thx to Bjorn Borg) - I mean come on, if only they were going for it in those 50+ stroke rallies...
Sampras - relied too much on his serve, love the motion, tho
Djokovic - his strokes are ugly and his game is bleeeh
Murray (before 2010) - he's worked on his game since and now it's ok, used to be a horrible pusher
Roddick 2010+ - see Andy Murray before 2010, the ATP needs at least 1 pusher, since Murray decided to play more aggresively, somebody had to take the reins

Most entertaining 1995'+

Federer - comes up with a shot that has never been seen before in just about every match, or at least he used to
Nalbandian - brilliant shotmaking, probably has (had) as much variety as Federer
Safin - my favorite player easily when he was on, good old 2000-2006...
Davydenko - I bet lots of fans out there find his game boring but he's freaking Flash Gordon of tennis, fast pace, left right left right, can be great at the net

8PAQ
04-30-2011, 10:33 AM
the nadal.

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nadalbestclass
04-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Federer

10char

marc45
04-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Boring is subjective. Sometimes people will consider a player boring not based on style or skill, but rather on predictability of outcome. From that point of view, Nadal can be boring on clay (as in "predictable"). Also, he has an incredible defensive game, which I suppose can be "boring" if you want him to lose.

I find Nadal much more engaging than most players however, as he has been able to adapt like no other. That's exactly the key to his success.

As for boring, I think Sampras was rather boring myself. Then again, S/V is not my cup of tea and I think is hugely overrated by those who pine for the "good old days".

interestingly, sampras was never a pure s&v player until the last phase of his career....won lots of baseline points in his career most notably against agassi

Nextman916
04-30-2011, 11:00 AM
I find most of the players consistently outside of the top 50, boring to watch.

marc45
04-30-2011, 11:02 AM
On the men's side: Nadal-stadegy against all ohbh rightys: hit CC forehand. Repeat 10000000x
Roddick-Ace. FH winner. Get passed by fed 4x to lose the game. Repeat 1000000x

Women: EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!1

very smart player, hey?....and consistent...signs of a great athlete

marc45
04-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Whereas, watching Nadal on clay is just watching him grind from the baseline and hit the same shots over and over until his opponent cries "Uncle!" and surrenders. Yawn.......wallace is dead, and so is federer

marc45
04-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Translation: There's a very good reason why the majority of people would rather watch paint dry than watch Nadal play on clay: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=377702

:)because they're fed fans going through an end of rooting life experience

marc45
04-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Most boring 1995'+ :

Nadal (special thx to Bjorn Borg) - I mean come on, if only they were going for it in those 50+ stroke rallies...
Sampras - relied too much on his serve, love the motion, tho
Djokovic - his strokes are ugly and his game is bleeeh
Murray (before 2010) - he's worked on his game since and now it's ok, used to be a horrible pusher
Roddick 2010+ - see Andy Murray before 2010, the ATP needs at least 1 pusher, since Murray decided to play more aggresively, somebody had to take the reins

Most entertaining 1995'+

Federer - comes up with a shot that has never been seen before in just about every match, or at least he used to
Nalbandian - brilliant shotmaking, probably has (had) as much variety as Federer
Safin - my favorite player easily when he was on, good old 2000-2006...
Davydenko - I bet lots of fans out there find his game boring but he's freaking Flash Gordon of tennis, fast pace, left right left right, can be great at the netso pete would have won more majors if he relied less on his serve (which wasn't really true until the end) or would have been less boring?...tough on pete, he was a boring individual with a boring game

Glory Hunters Anonymous
04-30-2011, 11:20 AM
This thread is just a troll set up.

maxatp1990
04-30-2011, 11:27 AM
The most boring match would have been Monfils vs. Murray Rome 2006 i think it was.

Mick
04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
wow those of you who say federer and nadal are boring to watch, you guys are really tough critics because most tennis pros and tennis experts say one of the greatest matches of all time is the final that they played at wimbledon.

Hood_Man
04-30-2011, 02:19 PM
wow those of you who say federer and nadal are boring to watch, you guys are really tough critics because most tennis pros and tennis experts say one of the greatest matches of all time is the final that they played at wimbledon.

According to the latest stats on the ATP website, they've both played a collective total of 1,552 matches between them on the ATP tour, but only 23 against each other. As electric as their matches are when they play each other (and that Wimbledon final nearly gave me multiple heart attacks), it's a drop in the ocean compared to what they've played against everyone else. Just sayin' :)

Rock Strongo
04-30-2011, 03:31 PM
I just thought of another one I find boring and that is Verdasco. To watch him play Raonic, for me it was not a real tennis match. Just rallies, no serves. It even made Raonic leave in disgust. I'd like to see Raonic play Verdasco on a real grass court with serves.

kiki
04-30-2011, 03:51 PM
In 1982, I survived a Wilander vs Barazutti match on slow clay.Score was something like 6-2,6-2...the match lasted over 3 hours.

Rock Strongo
04-30-2011, 04:06 PM
In 1982, I survived a Wilander vs Barazutti match on slow clay.Score was something like 6-2,6-2...the match lasted over 3 hours.

Well it was a Wilander match and those had the tendencies to go on forever... and by the way it was 6-2 6-3 according to the ATP website. But still, over 3 hours for that one-sided scoreline...

kiki
04-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Well it was a Wilander match and those had the tendencies to go on forever... and by the way it was 6-2 6-3 according to the ATP website. But still, over 3 hours for that one-sided scoreline...

In honour to Wilander, I must say Mats was a better player later on, and would have made a shorter match in 1986 or 1987, no doubt.

achokshi99
04-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Isner has to be the most boring to watch. Looks like a genuinely great guy but wow, his game puts you to sleep. Nothing but a serve and an occasional forehand.

vive le beau jeu !
04-30-2011, 05:33 PM
I just thought of another one I find boring and that is Verdasco. To watch him play Raonic, for me it was not a real tennis match. Just rallies, no serves. It even made Raonic leave in disgust. I'd like to see Raonic play Verdasco on a real grass court with serves.
well played post... ;)

cork_screw
04-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Any clay court tournament nadal enters.

BreakPoint
04-30-2011, 07:47 PM
I find most of the players consistently outside of the top 50, boring to watch.
Interesting. I judge a player's entertainment value by how he plays the game, not by what his ranking is. In fact, to me, his ranking is irrelevant. There are exciting players throughout the rankings, just like there are some boring players throughput the rankings, including near the top.

BreakPoint
04-30-2011, 07:52 PM
because they're fed fans going through an end of rooting life experience
What does preferring to watch paint dry instead of Nadal play on clay have anything to do with Federer? :confused: Watching Nadal on clay would be boring even if Federer never existed. In fact, it would be even more boring because he would never get to play against Federer on clay and also because he would then have even less competition on clay.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
04-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Interesting. I judge a player's entertainment value by how he plays the game, not by what his ranking is. In fact, to me, his ranking is irrelevant. There are exciting players throughout the rankings, just like there are some boring players throughput the rankings, including near the top.

agree...

personally..can't stand isner..most boring everimho.

Honorable mentionroddick...other stuff eg time wasting/screaming at umpire
etc are other stuff

nalbandian
04-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Nadal obvs, its way too defensive and always the same formula for winning points.

PONG
04-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Current players only the most boring are

Murray - I only watch Murray matches when he is playing either Fed or Nadal
Soderling - So one dimensional. he hits the ball so late and with that ugly forehand
Isner - I enjoy watching serve-fests but this guy has no personality or motivation at all
Hewitt - I switch the channel when he plays
Cilic - A guy his size should not be pushing so much

MichaelNadal
04-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Nadal obvs, its way too defensive and always the same formula for winning points.

http://static.funnyjunk.com/gifs/haters_gonna_hate2.gif

The Baseline
05-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Current players only the most boring are

Murray - I only watch Murray matches when he is playing either Fed or Nadal
Soderling - So one dimensional. he hits the ball so late and with that ugly forehand
Isner - I enjoy watching serve-fests but this guy has no personality or motivation at all
Hewitt - I switch the channel when he plays
Cilic - A guy his size should not be pushing so much

you're kidding me?

ksbh
05-02-2011, 08:49 AM

ROFL X .... forget it, I'm not allowed to make derogatory remarks about Federer anymore. So ... it's his nose, not a 'thing' :)

Haha!

Yes, ksbh, you are a Sham-****. And he is the reason I stopped watching tennis in the 90's -- well I can't remember who exactly it was, perhaps some East European player ... one day i am gonna have to go back in time and pin down the culprit. Anyway, you get back to fawning over Sunny Deolight and Pete Sham pras, let me not hold you up.

Whatever, if it helps you get your mind off Federer for a few seconds, I'm willing to go with it! At the very least, please don't go any further and call me a Federer fan as well! LOL!

:twisted:

djones
05-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Issner and Karlovic.
Lopez ain't very entertaining either.

cocolate
05-02-2011, 09:57 AM
I find Ivo's serve more interesting than Nadal grinding.

pc1
05-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Probably Karlovic but you can argue his serve is interesting.

juanparty
05-02-2011, 11:04 AM
WOZNIACKI of course!!

morten
05-03-2011, 01:14 AM
I actually like Karlovic, he rarely overhits and has a good slice, very different to Isner and the other big servers. Pluss he actually attacks the net a lot which i like a lot.