PDA

View Full Version : How is Raonic the next Sampras?

Cesc Fabregas
04-30-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't get the comparisons with Sampras. Sampras was great athlete which Raonic isn't, Sampras had great hands at the net, Raonic doesn't, the only thing is the big serve. Sampras is an all time great Raonic will be lucky to be in top 10 in his career.

Breaker
04-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Another legendary Cesc thread in the making.

PSNELKE
04-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Serve - Sampras - I donīt give a dang if heīll break the serve record of Dr. Ivo, he wonīt get any close to the phenomal serve of Pete. Milos benefits a lot of his height (11cm taller than Pete), and Pete still had the better placement and the best second serve. IMO he isnīt even better than Goran in that department.

Forehand - Pete (by a little) - Great running Forehand and always good length however Milos has also a nice Forehand

Backhand - Pete - you canīt win 14 GS with a bad BH, but I think his BH was just a bit over the avarage. Milosī Bh is under the avarage.

Volleys - Pete lol no contest here. but Milos has also a decent one

Pete is just superior in every department, but thereīs still a lot time for Milos to improve his game. But one thing is sure that Milos wonīt come close to Peteīs achievemts. I doubt Milos will win a major title but he could be a decent Top 15 player.

rovex
04-30-2011, 10:57 AM

He has some substance in what he's saying, you wouldn't know of course if you've been living in the Raonic bubble these past few months.

Breaker
04-30-2011, 11:03 AM
He has some substance in what he's saying, you wouldn't know of course if you've been living in the Raonic bubble these past few months.

I have not been living in any Raonic bubble, saying he will be lucky to reach top 10 in his career is laughable and about on par with the Soderling and Del Potro 'predictions'.

Djokolate
04-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Only thing is the big serve? You forgot the forehand. I do agree with you though, people think he's Jesus Christ.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/7215175/2/istockphoto_7215175-jesus-playing-tennis.jpg

Love Raonic classy GOAT love Milos great class act Raonic sexy love Milos

YodaKnowsBest
04-30-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't get the comparisons with Sampras. Sampras was great athlete which Raonic isn't, Sampras had great hands at the net, Raonic doesn't, the only thing is the big serve. Sampras is an all time great Raonic will be lucky to be in top 10 in his career.

For once we agree with each other...

Cesc Fabregas
04-30-2011, 12:07 PM
I have not been living in any Raonic bubble, saying he will be lucky to reach top 10 in his career is laughable and about on par with the Soderling and Del Potro 'predictions'.

You act like top 10 is a walk in the park to get to, Tsonga has more game than Milos and he's never been a consistant top 10er.

Overheadsmash
04-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Time and determination will tell. He's still young. And I don't mean Donald Young.

mctennis
04-30-2011, 12:21 PM
So who's making these comparisons between he and Sampras? If it is the TV talking heads they have to have something to talk about. Anyone that is new in the field and wins some matches against some seasoned players they do this to. Puts lots of pressure on the new kids and slowly the other players pick up on what can beat the new kid. I've seen it over and over again. Prime example- Chang. Plus other ones off and on. Most of them didn't make it in the bigs very long. Injuries taking most of them down. The tour slowly weeds out the great and not so great ones.

Mick
04-30-2011, 12:37 PM

i don't even know if he could be the next andy roddick even let alone the next pete sampras :)

Bryan Swartz
04-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Sampras is an all time great Raonic will be lucky to be in top 10 in his career.

This would seem to be a stretch, inasmuch as Raonic is 10th in the world so far this season. One would expect him to improve at least somewhat as his career progresses, and he's got a great chance to finish this year in the Top 10.

Omega_7000
04-30-2011, 12:48 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/2016443/another-game-for-milos-o.gif

JustBob
04-30-2011, 03:07 PM

Give him a break, he's obviously hurting:

"I want to be alone: Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas splits from childhood sweetheart"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1382335/Arsenal-midfielder-Cesc-Fabregas-splits-childhood-sweetheart.html#ixzz1L3EWiUDr

eidolonshinobi
04-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Another Game For Milos

Devilito
04-30-2011, 03:25 PM
How is Richard Gasquet the next Arthur Ashe?

pound cat
04-30-2011, 03:28 PM
This would seem to be a stretch, inasmuch as Raonic is 10th in the world so far this season. One would expect him to improve at least somewhat as his career progresses, and he's got a great chance to finish this year in the Top 10.

He should be about 24 on Monday..no points to defend. Next year will be interesting...and stressful for him.

BigForehand
04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
rao***** doens't even have a 1 handed backhandl like sampras.

rofl any time a kid comes in with a big serve people yell "SAMPRAS". Calm down losers, there were a lot of players with big serves. Why not call him Ivanisevic?

rodrigoamaral
04-30-2011, 05:09 PM
let him first win a grand slam, then we will talk

li0scc0
04-30-2011, 05:11 PM

He will make top 10, but do you really see him being a perennial top 10 player? Not sure, but I doubt it.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
04-30-2011, 07:40 PM
yeah..I don't know what comeover TTW double in spring.

big serve means nothing if you can't finish point quickenouf after.

don'tsee what big deal is...i see a cilic or ancic career eventuating.

movement is good forbig man..but after a few shots he willeventually die
slowdeath.

I just think TTW are desperate for a new star ..thus milos hype.

BTw..noneed forthis delpois making comeback.

BreakPoint
04-30-2011, 08:02 PM
This thread from Cesc Faregas virtually guarantees that Raonic will make the Top 10. :)

We all remember Cesc's thread about how Soderling will not be inside the Top 20 for more than a week. :oops:

Tennisworld
05-01-2011, 01:36 AM
There is something between a potential grand slam winner and a all time great as Sampras. Why always discussions between the extremes? It seems in this forum you are either a legend or a mug.
I think Raonic has a bright future. As he is a very young player, he can still improve. He has shown he can also do some damage on clay, Simon surely is not that bad on the surface. In the near future he will be very dangerous on hardcourt and grass.

05-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Raonic is the most overrated player in tennis history.

PCXL-Fan
05-01-2011, 06:05 AM
Most of the Sampras comparisons were tongue in cheek and the winning grandslams proclaimations were sarcastic.

Do we have a case of someone with a broken sarcasm detector?

pjonesy
05-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Raonic is still very young. His game is still developing. He is tall and has weapons that will give him an advantage on the tour. Raonic will probably improve over the next few years. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

sdont
05-01-2011, 12:49 PM
This thread from Cesc Faregas virtually guarantees that Raonic will make the Top 10. :)

We all remember Cesc's thread about how Soderling will not be inside the Top 20 for more than a week. :oops:

Did he not also predict that Delpo would never win a GS tournament? :lol:

Sid_Vicious
05-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Most of the Sampras comparisons were tongue in cheek and the winning grandslams proclaimations were sarcastic.

Do we have a case of someone with a broken sarcasm detector?

Not quite. In February, there were many Raonic-***** talking about how Raonic's serve is the greatest in history and how his second serve rivals Pete's.

Also, many people were talking about how Raonic's agressive game would annihilate baseliners like Djokovic and Nadal. Thankfully, Raonic's losses to Harrison and Roddick sent them back to earth.

Gorecki
05-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Q : How is Raonic the next sampras?

A : because we live in Cesc Fabregas head. we are all imaginary.

Spin Doctor
05-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Who is saying that Raonic is the next Sampras? I haven't heard anyone say that. People talk about Sampras when he plays because he has said that he admires Pete's game. He also has a big serve and comes to net. But that's about it.

I like him but I think the most he will be is top 20. I get the sense that he will be very streaky, hampered by injuries, and this lack of consistency will keep him out of the top 10. Maybe if he pieces it together for 2 weeks he will go deep into a major on a fast surface...maybe.

Ripster
05-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't get the comparison's either. Maybe if Raonic switched to a one-handed backhand and developed a serve and volley game. As it stands, their games don't resemble each other.

AcesFull
05-01-2011, 11:05 PM
He's already at number 25 in his first season on the tour. He has next to zero points to defend for the rest of the year, so to say that he will be no better than top 20 (16-20th) is a joke! He has hardly any clay experience and has shown that he can play with some strong clay courters and perform well. To defeat Simon is an accomplishment and he's only going to get better. He's definitely not Pete, but I think he will be better on clay than Pete was.

tennis_pro
05-02-2011, 12:41 AM

And who exactly is comparing Raonic with Sampras?

I say, Nishikori will never be as good as prime Federer. Should I make a separate thread now or what?

Marius_Hancu
05-02-2011, 02:42 AM
For the time being, I like what I see:

25 Raonic, Milos (CAN) 1,357 2 24
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx

Spin Doctor
05-02-2011, 08:06 PM
He's already at number 25 in his first season on the tour. He has next to zero points to defend for the rest of the year, so to say that he will be no better than top 20 (16-20th) is a joke! He has hardly any clay experience and has shown that he can play with some strong clay courters and perform well. To defeat Simon is an accomplishment and he's only going to get better. He's definitely not Pete, but I think he will be better on clay than Pete was.

To me a "Top 20" player is someone ranked between 11-20, which is certainly respectable. Not sure where you are coming up with 16-20.

RoddickAce
05-02-2011, 08:33 PM
While I agree that some people in TW are hyping up Raonic a bit too much, I must point out that, if Raonic were as good as Sampras, then he wouldn't be called the next Sampras, he'd be considered on par with Sampras.

The whole "next _____" title is to acknowledge potential and talent in a player. If we were to "predict" greatness in already successful players, like Nadal, then it would be called hindsight. It's like saying now, "I think Nadal is going to be the next great player in tennis!".

TheNatural
05-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Raonic is more like Del Potro.

PSNELKE
05-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Raonic is more like Del Potro.

Not even close. Raonic is a serve bot, while Delpoīs serve is mediocre.
The rest of Raonicīs arsenal isnīt anything close to Delpoīs.
Delpo is superior in every single department except of the serve.

Rickenbacker4003
05-03-2011, 11:00 PM

If Del Potro had Raonic's serve he'd be better than Joker's current form this year.

PSNELKE
05-03-2011, 11:32 PM
If Del Potro had Raonic's serve he'd be better than Joker's current form this year.

Lol he would massacre anyone on the ATP Tour. :D

li0scc0
05-04-2011, 04:33 AM

And if Raonic had delPotro's forehand.....

Andres
05-04-2011, 04:35 AM
And if Raonic had delPotro's forehand.....
He would need Del Potro's backhand, return of serve and mental strength.

Del Potro with Raonic's serve beats Milos with Del Potro's forehand ten out of ten times.

li0scc0
05-04-2011, 09:59 AM
He would need Del Potro's backhand, return of serve and mental strength.

Del Potro with Raonic's serve beats Milos with Del Potro's forehand ten out of ten times.

I don't think delPotro NOW would beat Raonic 10 out of 10 times. :)

But I agree with your above, with the exception that delPotro's backhand is just average.

TheNatural
05-04-2011, 03:26 PM

They both have somewhat mechanical looking strokes, nothing like the fluid Sampras game.

Devilito
05-04-2011, 04:17 PM
They both have somewhat mechanical looking strokes, nothing like the fluid Sampras game.

Raonic might have better volleys. But you're comparing an un and comer to a grand slam champion. Not really fair. Give Raonic a couple years

PCXL-Fan
05-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Even with a conservative estimate of a trajectory of slight improvement in all areas of his game Raonic would still be incredibly lucky to win a single slam.

He should achieve a higher ranking then Verdasco at least momentarily though.

TheNatural
05-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Raonic might have better volleys. But you're comparing an un and comer to a grand slam champion. Not really fair. Give Raonic a couple years

Regardless of how good Raonic ever becomes, his strokes will continue to look somewhat mechanical and he's not a naturally athletic and fluid mover, thus he looks nothing like Sampras on court.

Andres
05-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Delpo serve mediocre?

What is this? 2007?

Fugazi
05-05-2011, 08:56 AM
He's no Sampras, but he has weapons and he's mentally very strong and mature for his age. I say he'll consistently be top 20 or better for a few years.

yellowoctopus
05-05-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm sure Mr. Sampras is upset over this comparison.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2003/08/25/sp_sampras.jpg