PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Nicolas Almagro's game?

Laurie
04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I've aksed this on Mens Tennis Forum and would like to ask this question here.

I was watching this guy last week in Barcelona, particularly the matches against Ferrerro and Ferrer, I also saw him play live back in 2008 at the French Open (actually the match I saw he got thrashed by Nadal in the quarterfinal but everyone gets badly beaten by Nadal at Roland Garros).

He has a nice game, good backhand - but I feel he could be better with a bit more courage. I noticed literally every time he opened up the point with a backhand or had a short ball to attack (well within the service line), he would hit the ball and race back to the baseline, and consequently often lose the point. Personally I find that sort of thing profoundly irritating and I would like to see Nicolas develop a transition game and be more brave. If he wants to win the French he will have to develop this kind of tactical play and summon up more courage and conviction.

Do you think this guy can be a real contender at the French or is he too wishy washy at the top level?

BigForehand
04-30-2011, 04:13 PM
his game is nothing worth watching...

aldeayeah
04-30-2011, 04:37 PM
He goes for too much too often.

cc0509
04-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Booooring!

PONG
04-30-2011, 08:16 PM
I saw him play in person in Miami this year some of the shots he hit were so fast you could not turn your head quick enough from his side of the court to the opponents. Ive never heard a crowd "ooohh" so much. Otherwise he just keeps the ball in play 95% of the time and cant beat a top 5 player if his life depended on it.

accidental
05-01-2011, 05:23 PM
He's like the new Fernando Gonzalez. All power all the time.

Breaker
05-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I saw him play in person in Miami this year some of the shots he hit were so fast you could not turn your head quick enough from his side of the court to the opponents. Ive never heard a crowd "ooohh" so much. Otherwise he just keeps the ball in play 95% of the time and cant beat a top 5 player if his life depended on it.

Except for Soderling twice last year, Murray in a slam a couple years ago, and pushing Federer and Nadal to very close matches on hard court and clay.

Jonny S&V
05-01-2011, 05:47 PM
He has a very solid game all-around, but he could definitely be more aggressive court-positioning-wise and get into net to finish more points off.

icazares
05-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Personality: he looks mad all the time, always grumbling, sort of a McEnroe with one twentieth of Mc's charisma. Built: strange built for a tennis player, looks heavy, moves slow in relation to his ranking. Game: powerful but absolutely useless against the top 5. He hits really well (good groundstrokes, above average volley, excellent serve), but he moves poorly for his ranking which I think it's why he can't get any further.

tenis1
05-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Losing 6-1 6-3 to Tsonga on clay :shock:

Pathetic.

Contender on FO? I don't think so.

Jonny S&V
05-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Losing 6-1 6-3 to Tsonga on clay :shock:

Pathetic.

Contender on FO? I don't think so.

Nadal losing 0 and 1 to Youzhny on hard court ( circa 2008 ) :shock:

Pathetic.

Contender for the USO? I don't think so.

Ripster
05-01-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't get this guy. He has all the talent in the world but randomly throws in stinkers like today against Tsonga

tenis1
05-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Nadal losing 0 and 1 to Youzhny on hard court ( circa 2008 ) :shock:

Pathetic.

Contender for the USO? I don't think so.

Are you comparing Nadal to Almagro? Are you saying Almagro is contender on FO? Really?

Laurie
05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Interesting result. I saw someone mention how fast the conditions are in Madrid due to the temperature being hot over there and the stadium is above sea level, plus the balls are light, so Tsonga would have an edge.

If that's the case then its easy to see why Almagro does absolutely nothing on hard courts or indoors.

Limpinhitter
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
He's a great shotmaker. But, he doesn't play a high percentage game like Ralph. He goes for too many low percentage plays to be a champion.

hoodjem
05-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I really like Almagro's backhand.

Limpinhitter
05-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I really like Almagro's backhand.

Agreed! Classic! But, his serve and forehand are big too!

Jonny S&V
05-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Are you comparing Nadal to Almagro? Are you saying Almagro is contender on FO? Really?

Who are you to say he isn't? Do I honestly think he will? No. But to base a player's chances at a tournament on one, count'em, ONE, match is moronic. At least make an intelligent argument, rather than using troll-logic.

For example: his movement and mental-game are too suspect to truly get behind him to win Roland Garros at this point.

nissrro
05-02-2011, 01:24 PM
i think he has a huge game. Great serve and forehand. Hits the ball so big. But at times he goes for too much like some say.

He can play crazy good or total crap (like the match vs tsonga yesterday). If he wants to do well in the slams, he will need to find consistency!

Jonny S&V
05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
i think he has a huge game. Great serve and forehand. Hits the ball so big. But at times he goes for too much like some say.

He can play crazy good or total crap (like the match vs tsonga yesterday). If he wants to do well in the slams, he will need to find consistency!

Did Marat Safin ever find some sort of consistency? Just sayin', lol...

Marius_Hancu
05-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Did Marat Safin ever find some sort of consistency?

Well, yes, during those GSs he won. Huge difference.

tenis1
05-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Who are you to say he isn't? Do I honestly think he will? No. But to base a player's chances at a tournament on one, count'em, ONE, match is moronic. At least make an intelligent argument, rather than using troll-logic.

For example: his movement and mental-game are too suspect to truly get behind him to win Roland Garros at this point.

LOL. You seem angry and insecure for some reason. Why name calling?

This one loss in an indication of Almagro's abilities and confirmation that he is not a contender for FO title. Enough for intelligent people.

dozu
05-02-2011, 04:26 PM
good ball striker - but his movement is worth sh1t.

Jonny S&V
05-02-2011, 09:17 PM
LOL. You seem angry and insecure for some reason. Why name calling?

I'm not calling you any names, I'm responding to what you have said, not what you are.

This one loss in an indication of Almagro's abilities and confirmation that he is not a contender for FO title. Enough for intelligent people.

So you woulda said the same thing when Youzhny handed Nadal a bagel and a breadstick? Seriously, haterz gonna hate, but your logic makes little sense...

tenis1
05-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm not calling you any names, I'm responding to what you have said, not what you are.

Yes you did. Go back and read your post again.

So you woulda said the same thing when Youzhny handed Nadal a bagel and a breadstick? Seriously, haterz gonna hate, but your logic makes little sense...

Bad analogy. All I said is that his performance vs Tsonga was pathetic and that is not a contender for the FO (both true) and you called me a `moron`. Go figure.
I am not a hater. I have nothing against a guy. He is greatly overrated here, but that is not his problem.

Your little angry rant and name calling is what makes little sense here.

Jonny S&V
05-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Yes you did. Go back and read your post again.

Genuine question, is English your first language?

Bad analogy. All I said is that his performance vs Tsonga was pathetic and that is not a contender for the FO (both true) and you called me a `moron`. Go figure.
I am not a hater. I have nothing against a guy. He is greatly overrated here, but that is not his problem.

Your little angry rant and name calling is what makes no sense here.

A) Never called YOU (yourself) a moron, I called what you said, aka, "Losing 6-1 6-3 to Tsonga on clay. Pathetic" moronic.

B) He is only overrated by two or three people on these boards, mainly "baseline" or whatever the heck his name is.

C) "Angry little rant?" What have I said that has any sort of malice in it? I didn't intend for it to come off that way, but they say that those that are looking for a fight tend to interpret things differently.

Am I angry? No, not in the least, just felt like being devil's advocate to a poster who is in no position to be putting down a player who has been playing some of the best tennis of his career this year merely because he had one bad day at the office.

tenis1
05-03-2011, 03:47 AM
English is not my first language, but that is irrelevant here.

a) There is really no difference, both are malicious and both are insults.
b) Yes he is quite overrated.
c) You are the one who started the fight and who came way too strong calling me names and insulting me for no reason. And yes your posts were quite malicious indeed.
The worst thing is I am not sure why and what did I say to make you so angry to start attacking and insulting me like that.
Again and again. All I said was that his loss to Tsonga was pathetic - which is TRUE and that he is not contender for the FO - which is also TRUE.
This is an internet tennis forum, people put down players all the time and you figured you are going to play a `devils advocate` and insult me for that comment. Interesting.

So please next time be nicer and don`t insult people who disagree with you like that.

Thank you.

Jonny S&V
05-03-2011, 06:01 AM
English is not my first language, but that is irrelevant here.

It is completely relevant, since you were the one that misinterpreted my post as an 'angry little rant.'

a) There is really no difference, both are malicious and both are insults.

Perhaps in your country, both are 'malicious' and 'insults', but on an English tennis forum, labelling what a poster has said as 'moronic' is far from 'malicious' and only insulting if you take it that way.

b) Yes he is quite overrated.

...by a few noisy members, yes.

c) You are the one who started the fight and who came way too strong calling me names and insulting me for no reason. And yes your posts were quite malicious indeed.

I did not start a fight, I started a debate, one that you have misinterpreted and think is a fight. Perhaps YOU are looking for a fight...

The worst thing is I am not sure why and what did I say to make you so angry to start attacking and insulting me like that.

How do you know that I am angry? I'm just repeating myself here, which is pretty standard on here, but this is becoming a little excessive...

Again and again. All I said was that his loss to Tsonga was pathetic - which is TRUE

Not completely 'true', still an opinion really. Tsonga took out Nadal 2, 3, and 2 at the '08 Aussie Open. Nadal won that tournament the next year. Tsonga is one of those players that can get on ridiculous hot-streaks.

and that he is not contender for the FO - which is also TRUE.

Another opinions based on flawed logic, empowered by a single tennis match instead of overall results.

This is an internet tennis forum, people put down players all the time and you figured you are going to play a `devils advocate` and insult me for that comment. Interesting.

Never heard of the 'devil's advocate'? Still think I've insulted you?

So please next time be nicer and don`t insult people who disagree with you like that.

Thank you.

Being the elder on this forum (and one who tries not to insult people directly, only what they say), I will say that you should probably develop a thicker skin, especially if you interpret things wrongly consistently. Otherwise, you won't last long on here. This was an unneccessary fight that was brought up because you misinterpreted my calling your post/logic 'moronic.' Simple fact. Suck it up, agree to disagree, and move on.

From the way you argue, however, I don't see you lasting long on here unless you change some things... :(

Gaudio2004
05-03-2011, 06:07 AM
His forehand is a weakness in comparison to his backhand, his footwork is too slow (but has improved) and that's why players like Ferrer have such a devastating record against him.

Usually players with slow footwork (or who cannot move well) cannot adjust to different situations in different matches and that strikes me as a reason as to why Almagro can push Nadal to 3 very close sets on Roland Garros but lose 6-1 6-3 to Tsonga on a faster clay-court.

tenis1
05-03-2011, 08:23 AM
It is completely relevant, since you were the one that misinterpreted my post as an 'angry little rant.'

Perhaps in your country, both are 'malicious' and 'insults', but on an English tennis forum, labelling what a poster has said as 'moronic' is far from 'malicious' and only insulting if you take it that way.

...by a few noisy members, yes.

I did not start a fight, I started a debate, one that you have misinterpreted and think is a fight. Perhaps YOU are looking for a fight...

How do you know that I am angry? I'm just repeating myself here, which is pretty standard on here, but this is becoming a little excessive...

Not completely 'true', still an opinion really. Tsonga took out Nadal 2, 3, and 2 at the '08 Aussie Open. Nadal won that tournament the next year. Tsonga is one of those players that can get on ridiculous hot-streaks.

Another opinions based on flawed logic, empowered by a single tennis match instead of overall results.

Never heard of the 'devil's advocate'? Still think I've insulted you?

Being the elder on this forum (and one who tries not to insult people directly, only what they say), I will say that you should probably develop a thicker skin, especially if you interpret things wrongly consistently. Otherwise, you won't last long on here. This was an unneccessary fight that was brought up because you misinterpreted my calling your post/logic 'moronic.' Simple fact. Suck it up, agree to disagree, and move on.

From the way you argue, however, I don't see you lasting long on here unless you change some things... :(

Whatever. You started the fight and insulted me, I didn't misinterpret anything. Also I didn't do anything wrong.
Calling people's posts "moronic" is name calling and insulting and is certainly against the rules. While I just gave my opinion on the topic which is what we are supposed to do here.

Now when I asked you not to insult me any more, you are threatening me, basically saying:
"better not argue with me while I am free to insult you as I wish, or as an "elder" here I will make sure you will not last long here".

Such attitude of yours is appalling and unacceptable IMO.

You are on ignore list. Moving on, but not because you told me so, but because there is no point arguing with people like you. You started the fight and I am ending it.

RCizzle65
05-03-2011, 09:14 AM

Soderling lost 6-0, 6-1 to Nadal, in 2009 on clay, prior to the French. Contender for French Open? LOL
One match doesn't decide anything,

Jonny S&V
05-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Whatever. You started the fight and insulted me, I didn't misinterpret anything. Also I didn't do anything wrong.
Calling people's posts "moronic" is name calling and insulting and is certainly against the rules. While I just gave my opinion on the topic which is what we are supposed to do here.

:lol:

Now when I asked you not to insult me any more, you are threatening me, basically saying:
"better not argue with me while I am free to insult you as I wish, or as an "elder" here I will make sure you will not last long here".

Now I know you're looking for a fight, since you read my post in this way. What can I do to get you banned? Nothing really, if being closed-minded got people banned, over half the people on this board would be banned. The fact is, you haven't given the best impression to people on this board in the short month that you've been on here (at least, not in this thread).

Such attitude of yours is appalling and unacceptable IMO.

Welcome to TT, there are FAR worse than I.

You are on ignore list. Moving on, but not because you told me so, but because there is no point arguing with people like you. You started the fight and I am ending it.

Think what you want, but my advice still stands: Get thicker skin.

The Baseline
05-03-2011, 02:17 PM

he has the best talent other than federer and nadal in the world. his game is truly remarkable to watch. Its astonishing to watch almagro hit the flat backhand, and its very special to watch almagro dictate the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06CdClj1zj4

LuckyR
05-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Almagro is the kind of a player who would benefit greatly from a Brad Gilbert.