PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else digging Pablo Cuevas?

AtomicForehand
04-30-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm becoming a fan. The guy has a great 1HBH, a tricky first and second serve...and I like his intangibles. :twisted:

accidental
04-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah hes got a really nice game. I saw him at a tournament playing Llodra once and it was an awesome match. He's extremely quick and that 1 hander is a thing of beauty

Big_Dangerous
04-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Should have gotten his autograph, he was playing soccer right before his match too. :(

It was funny because I said to my friend I know that's a pro but I just don't know who. Then as we took our seats I realized it was Cuevas.

SirGounder
05-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Yep another 1hbh to look at.

accidental
05-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Kind of reminds me of Juan Monaco with a single handed backhand

Gizo
05-02-2011, 12:39 AM
I really like his game as well, especially his kick serve and his backhand. The serve caused Roddick all sorts of problems when they played each other at Miami last month.

Hopefully he can win an ATP title soon. He came very close at Vina Del Mar in 2008. His semi-final match against Gonzalez became the final after Monaco withdrew injured after winning the other semi. He had 2 match points, and missed an easy smash on one of them, and eventually Gonzo won that tense match.

Still he is a grand slam champion, winning the French Open doubles title with Horna in 2008. They beat a series of world class doubles opponents such as Clement/Llodra, Dlouhy/Paes, the Bryan Brothers and then Nestor/Zimonjic in the final. That is definately one of the most impressive doubles title runs that I can remember.

For such a small country, Uruguay have done well to produce 4 players that have reached the ATP top 50 in the last 30 years or so.

Mortifier
05-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Kind of reminds me of Juan Monaco with a single handed backhand

Worse mover, better power from both wings yet less consistency, better serve and more spin. They're both good on clay, but that's about it. Worse defense I would probably have to add aswell.

Btw, I like Cuevas too. He's got a hell of an ability to pull off dropshots of the opponents second serve. Seen him do it many times, often with success.