PDA

View Full Version : How many of you guys cross dress (Mix match brands)

ssonosk
05-03-2011, 07:39 AM
How many of you mix and match brands, and how many of you try to match brands?

I mix and match, but I think i'm about to start trying to wear all nike ;o

nicolaisidek
05-03-2011, 07:49 AM
I do that all the time. But it's always between adidas and Nike.

Carolina Racquet
05-03-2011, 08:03 AM
I cross brand almost all of the time. Most of my shirts are the cheap Reebok tech ones I get for $12 each at a warehouse store or the C9 shirts at Targ*t. Most shorts are Nike.

I sometimes feel like a poser if I'm matching the shirts and shorts.

I don't care about the brand... I just look for color and fabric. Since it's hot here, I'm looking mostly for a loose weave tech shirt. They seem to work best in keeping me cool!

rbun1
05-03-2011, 09:06 AM
I mix between Nike, Adidas, Reebok and Yonex, but finally, all come down to Nike and Adidas.. For me, Nike has better styles for past 2-3 years, so I have more Nike than Adidas now.. I think the best Adidas lines were during 2007 and 2008, YOC and Edge(2008) were really the best lines for me, no other seasons is better than those two.. Also the difference here is, Adidas seldom change the design where actually they have the same style every season, just change in colour, while Nike always try to change the style every design, at least slightly different where you can see this year's AO lines had completely different style with the FO lines.. That is why I choose Nike for my collection because more designs and I just never feel bored because of the changing.. :)

heftylefty
05-03-2011, 09:12 AM
I mix and match my clothes. I get whatevers is on sale. It more about match colors or having cool contrast.

eidolonshinobi
05-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I occasionally mix and match but I try to keep my dark colors with Adidas and whites with K-Swiss.

ductrung3993
05-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Srr for this kinda off topic question. Normally I only wear Nike but now I want to mix Adidas in as well. What concerns me is not the mixed product but about Adidas's quality. A while ago I have really disappoint in Adidas's quality and think that Nike's Dri-fit does a much better job of making me cooler and more comfortable. Now I want to buy either of these 2 but is kinda concern about the quality, any thought? Tks in advance.
http://verdasconews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/edgethemegreen.jpg

Devilito
05-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I mix and match, but I think i'm about to start trying to wear all nike ;o

why? how much is nike paying you?

ssonosk
05-03-2011, 09:35 AM
why? how much is nike paying you?

no it's just personal prefrence; I don't want to say i'm ocd, but i really like when i wear matching brands (although I don't half the time).

shogun90
05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
I cross dress all the time. I don't think one company has the best line to satisfy everyone's needs for every occasion.

nicolaisidek
05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Well I don't really have much choice here. Sales are very rare. Have to pay retail all the time. Its between Nike, adidas and Reebok and the latter is rubbish to me (different than in the US where they have the better Reebok line)

bad_call
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
wear whatever brand fits but try not to have too much color clash.

haven't gone so far as to mix different brands/models shoes on each foot tho. :shock:

djNEiGht
05-03-2011, 08:13 PM
i'm w bad call...try to keep the colors uniform but brands are all over the place...besides i don't usually spend too much on clothing so it's your athletic section at Target for me.

anhuynh16
05-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I usually wear lacoste t shirts with Nike shorts to practice
I wear TENNIS shirts also to practice
I wear Nike socks
I wear lacoste everything to tournaments(Nike socks still)

zapvor
05-03-2011, 08:42 PM
i dont think i ever match. maybe sometimes i will be wearing all white...

just_visiting
05-03-2011, 09:26 PM
All my sports wear are all Nike, t-shirts, shorts, socks, shoes. I`ve been buying Nike-only for the last 15 yrs or so.

Fuji
05-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I love Nike shoes because their size 12.5's are the only ones that fit my feet comfortably, and their shorts are a perfect length for me! Shirts however, are another story all together! I love Yonex, Nike, Adidias, and a ton of generic shirts. Whatever wicks sweat away and keeps me from looking like Nadal at the AO, keeps me happy! :)

-Fuji

jokinla
05-03-2011, 09:36 PM
You rarely see it on the pro tour, but today the guy David Ferrer beat at the Madrid Open wore Nadal's red Aussie Open crew, and black Adidas shorts. As for me I wear the same brand shorts and shirt, but I wear all brands.

Aeropax
05-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I cross-dress all Nike with Hanes boxers.

...Does that count?

eidolonshinobi
05-03-2011, 09:55 PM
You rarely see it on the pro tour, but today the guy David Ferrer beat at the Madrid Open wore Nadal's red Aussie Open crew, and black Adidas shorts. As for me I wear the same brand shorts and shirt, but I wear all brands.

haha Yeah I saw that. Mannarino was the guy. I wonder if his sponsors get mad for that.

Sentinel
05-03-2011, 10:00 PM
I do that all the time. But it's always between adidas and Nike.
Same here.

I also mix other gear. Wilson racket and Dunlop balls with Babolat strings.

Mick
05-03-2011, 10:02 PM
i prefer that everything matches but occasionally, they don't match :)

mctennis
05-03-2011, 10:17 PM
If you're not being sponsored by the company you are wearing WHY would you really try and make everything match. Does it make you play any better? I guess some guys want to really be fashion statements. For me comfort over style is more important. It is always mixed brands and some, shockingly, do not have a brand label posted on the outside of the garment.

Mick
05-03-2011, 10:23 PM
as one football player explained it:
you look good, you feel good, you play good.

mctennis
05-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Is this a fashion show or a tennis match? I've never been beaten by a guy that dressed better than his wife.

Mick
05-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Is this a fashion show or a tennis match? I've never been beaten by a guy that dressed better than his wife.

haha. have you ever been beaten by a guy that dressed like bjorn borg? :)

http://i55.tinypic.com/v4nec3.jpg

mctennis
05-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Not unless it was Borg himself. Then perhaps I did.

Mick
05-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Not unless it was Borg himself. Then perhaps I did.

haha. you must be good. the two best players that i play with don't care much about clothing. they don't even care about their racquets. it seems all they care about is winning points and games.

ssonosk
05-04-2011, 06:13 AM

this x10

Some days I don't really care, and just want to play tennis; however, other days i really want to look nice.. haha

jmverdugo
05-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Since most of my clothes are bought while they are on sale I am not too picky with what I buy, much less with what I wear, I do try to match colors and I am inclined to use dark colors because let's face it, it is not nice to look like a pinata. I preffer nike shorts and prince shoes but it is not a priority, if it is for sale then I will buy it.

georgerou
05-04-2011, 07:08 AM

Wasnt it Chad Johnson who said that? Not the best guy to follow

jigar
05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
All the time..

mucat
05-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I cross dress all the time. My psychiatrist said it is ok to get in touch with my feminine side once in while.

Thud and blunder
05-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I figure that if you're going to look like you're sponsored, you'd better play like you're sponsored...else you risk looking like a tool. Would you wear the same brand from head to toe off-court?

It's possible to pull off if you have impeccable taste like Mick, otherwise best avoided.

max
05-05-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm not a little alarmed at tennis "outfits" for men. . . a little too nancy boy for me. I usually have a bunch of different stuff, and try to coordinate the colors a bit.

SirGounder
05-05-2011, 07:52 AM
I just get whatever is on sale and looks decent. Nike shoes, adidas socks, nike shorts, adidas shirt, then toss some Reebok into the mix.

baek57
05-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I generally wear adidas shirts and nike shorts.

North
05-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I just wear whatever fits well and is comfortable. Most of the time nothing matches in terms of brand names.

ADIDAS_IS_CLASSIC
05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Pure Adidas :)......

Boricua
05-05-2011, 12:29 PM
I have to match, at least I try. Been buying Adidas lately, but have Nike clothes as well. Adidas socks and head ties are better constructed.

And, Asics shoes I prefer.

I dont feel right using adidas shirt and nike pants when playing, I prefer that they match:)

just_visiting
05-06-2011, 10:21 PM
I figure that if you're going to look like you're sponsored, you'd better play like you're sponsored...else you risk looking like a tool. Would you wear the same brand from head to toe off-court?

It's possible to pull off if you have impeccable taste like Mick, otherwise best avoided.

Every sporting clothing article I buy is Nike so I dress all Nike most of the time. This includes off court. Shorts, t-shirt, socks, shoes, slipper sandals, etc... I find nothing wrong with it at all. My Tennis equipments are all Wilson, rackets, balls, strings, etc...

Nike + Wilson for me.

ssonosk
05-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Every sporting clothing article I buy is Nike so I dress all Nike most of the time. This includes off court. Shorts, t-shirt, socks, shoes, slipper sandals, etc... I find nothing wrong with it at all. My Tennis equipments are all Wilson, rackets, balls, strings, etc...

Nike + Wilson for me.

I like this guy

bertiefactor
05-08-2011, 10:30 AM
do i sniff a Fed imitator ...

magnut
05-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Tennis.....the sport of metrosexuals!

I wear rags. I dont play in name brands. I dont teach in name brands. I dont take sponsorships (even though I could if I wanted).

If I wear a name on my shirt it will be mine. I dont need a corperate logo to feel good about myself. Some of you guys are dorks and need to go bleed a little more on court instead of worrying about cross dressing.

Tennis is a fight not a fassion show.

That vintage borg stuff is kinda neat for historical collectors though.

Chris182
05-08-2011, 02:22 PM
cross most of the time... have some yonex head to toe stuff, but its barely washed clean at the same time. nothing wrong with cross dressing and nothing wrong with matched dressing for me... though matched stuff once in a while makes u look awesome ;p

purple-n-gold
05-08-2011, 02:51 PM
....only on Halloween at Hooters

max
05-08-2011, 04:17 PM

I wear rags. I dont play in name brands. I dont teach in name brands. I dont take sponsorships (even though I could if I wanted).

If I wear a name on my shirt it will be mine. I dont need a corperate logo to feel good about myself. Some of you guys are dorks and need to go bleed a little more on court instead of worrying about cross dressing.

Good put: I've got odds and ends of various things and just put together whatever isn't outright crazy.

mctennis
05-08-2011, 11:58 PM
haha. you must be good. the two best players that i play with don't care much about clothing. they don't even care about their racquets. it seems all they care about is winning points and games.

That's the guys to watch out for. They are there to PLAY and WIN not to be in a commercial.
There use to be an older guy that played at a beach resort town at the public courts. He looked so ragged and had a beach bum look. He beat the snot out of everyone I watch him play. I was too young to even try and play that guy.

jmverdugo
05-09-2011, 12:37 PM

I agree with most of it but the part of the sponsorships, there is nothing wrong to dress like a poser as long as the gear is for free :)

ssonosk
05-09-2011, 07:35 PM

so you don't support the tennis industry? :(

and honestly you can't blame me for not wanting to go out and look like a cave man; that might be your style, but I guess i take pride in my appearance

Mick
05-09-2011, 07:44 PM
do i sniff a Fed imitator ...

one day i came to the court as ivan lendl and met roger federer there.

federer lost but he fought hard :)

http://i52.tinypic.com/hv8ims.jpg

adidasman
05-10-2011, 07:33 AM
If you're not being sponsored by the company you are wearing WHY would you really try and make everything match. Does it make you play any better? I guess some guys want to really be fashion statements. For me comfort over style is more important. It is always mixed brands and some, shockingly, do not have a brand label posted on the outside of the garment. Why not? If you like that brand, why not wear it all the time? Why do you need to diminish people who like their clothes to match, as if we're all vain or posers or whatever? I have no problem finding adidas clothes and accessories that are comfortable, functional, and affordable. I like tennis clothes, and I like it when I look sharp on court. I have always loved adidas gear - Rod Laver wears it, and that's good enough for me. So why wear anything else?

Legend of Borg
05-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Dress like a bum to lure them into a false sense of security.

Then start swinging away.

Too bad the guys at the club already know my tricks.

adidasman
05-10-2011, 07:39 AM

Tennis is not a fight, it's a contest. There's a uniform of sorts involved, at least I think there should be. (And I've bled quite a bit on court - my desire to win isn't abated in any way by my matching outfit.) And, if you wear rags for teaching, you must not work at a club - and I wouldn't take a lesson from you. If you don't care about looking professional, you must not be very serious about it. I don't wear a logo because it makes me feel good about myself - I don't need a logo. I wear it because I like the brand, because it has a history for me, because it's fun to me. What you wear isn't always about some pathetic need for approval, you know; in a lot of cases, it's just a preference. Why must we always read some kind of psychological deficiency into things like this? I think it's guys like you, the ones who say they don't care, who have the flawed psyche. You're too worried about making some kind of "I don't care" statement to enjoy yourself.

ssonosk
05-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Tennis is not a fight, it's a contest. There's a uniform of sorts involved, at least I think there should be. (And I've bled quite a bit on court - my desire to win isn't abated in any way by my matching outfit.) And, if you wear rags for teaching, you must not work at a club - and I wouldn't take a lesson from you. If you don't care about looking professional, you must not be very serious about it. I don't wear a logo because it makes me feel good about myself - I don't need a logo. I wear it because I like the brand, because it has a history for me, because it's fun to me. What you wear isn't always about some pathetic need for approval, you know; in a lot of cases, it's just a preference. Why must we always read some kind of psychological deficiency into things like this? I think it's guys like you, the ones who say they don't care, who have the flawed psyche. You're too worried about making some kind of "I don't care" statement to enjoy yourself.

spot on

10char

Legend of Borg
05-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Good show, old chap.

magnut
05-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Next time I see you guys on court I will bring out a giant mirror for you guys so you can look at yourselves on changeovers.

Hows that.

My love for this game , teaching the game, and its history goes beyond name brands. Thats why I have to turn people down sometimes (to many pupils) and recomend other pros (good ones).

This sport is being ruined by endorcements and marketing and the love for game is taking a back seat. Sure there is more money in it but in the end the result is a hallow sport. This has happened with every sport. Now its tennis.

Tennis is not a contest. Golf is a contest.

And no...I do not support the industry. The USTA is a farce. So is the USPTA and the USPTR. I speak from experience.

And no...I do not support companies like Nike ETC. who market to elitists children who make mommy and daddy buy them expensive tennis clothes because thats what all the other kids wear. Meanwhile they sell you cheap crap that gives them the highest profit margin made by 9 year olds in third world countries.

I love the sport. Not corperate logos and political organizations that exploit stupidity of people that feel the need to match name brands in a tennis outfit.

You guys are dorks. Celebrity Worship Syndrome at its worst. Go buy a $4 grey t-shirt and work on your game. Save your money for things you actually need. Stuff like shoes. When you are good you will need a pair of new shoes every 2-3 weeks.

Better yet start tucking your clothing fund away and buy a good ball machine.

magnut
05-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Oh Mick........

That Lendl outfit is cool. I could not wear it though. Too much history and to precious. I do wish I could get a set of 5-10 of those adidas frames to play with though. Thats ones a beauty.

Gemini
05-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Mostly Nike, but will mix Russell, Champion, and Balle de Match tees. I think all of my shoes are Nike except for one pair of Yonex I have.

adidasman
05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Next time I see you guys on court I will bring out a giant mirror for you guys so you can look at yourselves on changeovers.

Hows that.

My love for this game , teaching the game, and its history goes beyond name brands. Thats why I have to turn people down sometimes (to many pupils) and recomend other pros (good ones).

This sport is being ruined by endorcements and marketing and the love for game is taking a back seat. Sure there is more money in it but in the end the result is a hallow sport. This has happened with every sport. Now its tennis.

Tennis is not a contest. Golf is a contest.

And no...I do not support the industry. The USTA is a farce. So is the USPTA and the USPTR. I speak from experience.

And no...I do not support companies like Nike ETC. who market to elitists children who make mommy and daddy buy them expensive tennis clothes because thats what all the other kids wear. Meanwhile they sell you cheap crap that gives them the highest profit margin made by 9 year olds in third world countries.

I love the sport. Not corperate logos and political organizations that exploit stupidity of people that feel the need to match name brands in a tennis outfit.

You guys are dorks. Celebrity Worship Syndrome at its worst. Go buy a $4 grey t-shirt and work on your game. Save your money for things you actually need. Stuff like shoes. When you are good you will need a pair of new shoes every 2-3 weeks.

Better yet start tucking your clothing fund away and buy a good ball machine. The industry is NOT the USTA. The industry are the companies who make racquets, clothes, and strings, the guys who innovate and have made every aspect of the game better. Guys like you are comical - you stand up as if you're some kind of free thinker, yet you don't hesitate to label those who happen to enjoy wearing matching tennis clothes "stupid" or "dorks." So open-minded of you. Yeah, I'm just a puppet, unable or unwilling to think for myself, too mindless to keep myself from being victimized by the corporate world and its insidious ways. How do you know how much I work on my game? I could probably play you into the ground in my coordinated ensemble, but you aren't capable of believing that - no, anyone who cares about how they look on court is just an idiot, a guy with no game who just wants to look like a player. You keep on saying that, buddy. It's not true now, it never has been, it never will be. Your kind of arrogance makes me sick. You position yourself as some kind of real man, some rebel spitting in the face of the material world, while the rest of us "metrosexuals" (whatever that means any more) are preening in front of a mirror with our handbags and our gold lame warmups. Why are you desperate to prove your supposed superiority by wearing crap clothes? Are you that insecure? Are you that afraid of looking foolish? Man, I feel sorry for you. You clearly take yourself waaaaaaay too seriously. And one more thing on a related subject - if you think tennis is some kind of war, some raging battle to be waged with blood flying and bones breaking, you're a joke. I'd never send my kids to take lessons (or take them myself) from someone who elevates a game - a great game, mind you, but still a GAME - into something more than it is. Tennis is a contest, nothing more. (Golf, on the other hand, is a hobby.) Being bloody doesn't mean you're a better tennis player. Just a clumsy one.

Excuse me - I have to go now. I hear a mirror calling my name.

magnut
05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
The industry is NOT the USTA. The industry are the companies who make racquets, clothes, and strings, the guys who innovate and have made every aspect of the game better. Guys like you are comical - you stand up as if you're some kind of free thinker, yet you don't hesitate to label those who happen to enjoy wearing matching tennis clothes "stupid" or "dorks." So open-minded of you. Yeah, I'm just a puppet, unable or unwilling to think for myself, too mindless to keep myself from being victimized by the corporate world and its insidious ways. How do you know how much I work on my game? I could probably play you into the ground in my coordinated ensemble, but you aren't capable of believing that - no, anyone who cares about how they look on court is just an idiot, a guy with no game who just wants to look like a player. You keep on saying that, buddy. It's not true now, it never has been, it never will be. Your kind of arrogance makes me sick. You position yourself as some kind of real man, some rebel spitting in the face of the material world, while the rest of us "metrosexuals" (whatever that means any more) are preening in front of a mirror with our handbags and our gold lame warmups. Why are you desperate to prove your supposed superiority by wearing crap clothes? Are you that insecure? Are you that afraid of looking foolish? Man, I feel sorry for you. You clearly take yourself waaaaaaay too seriously. And one more thing on a related subject - if you think tennis is some kind of war, some raging battle to be waged with blood flying and bones breaking, you're a joke. I'd never send my kids to take lessons (or take them myself) from someone who elevates a game - a great game, mind you, but still a GAME - into something more than it is. Tennis is a contest, nothing more. (Golf, on the other hand, is a hobby.) Being bloody doesn't mean you're a better tennis player. Just a clumsy one.

Excuse me - I have to go now. I hear a mirror calling my name.

Hey I am open minded. If you want to waste money on logos in order to fulfill some kind empty void in your life go for it. You would be better off saving your money and building a court at your house for your kids though. Something that really matters. Better yet...work less hours to support your love for name brand clothing and spend more time with your kids.

Whatever floats your boat. The fact that I think your a dork has very little merit on your life believe it or not so try not to get in a hissy fit over it.

As far as your game vs mine.....whatever. You get riled to easily. One bad call and your emotional maturity and focus is gone.

CDestroyer
05-10-2011, 12:25 PM
My usual tennis getup:

Fruit of the Loom TShirt - Walmart - slightly stained pits

Starter Polyester long shorts - Walmart - polyester so they dont stick to you

Head padded socks - Costgo - otherwise my heels hurt like hell

Nike Shoes - Tennis Warehouse - because they weigh only 13.4 ounces each!

magnut
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
My usual tennis getup:

Fruit of the Loom TShirt - Walmart - slightly stained pits

Starter Polyester long shorts - Walmart - polyester so they dont stick to you

Head padded socks - Costgo - otherwise my heels hurt like hell

Nike Shoes - Tennis Warehouse - because they weigh only 13.4 ounces each!

White shirts are a no no for me. Those yellow armpit stains dont take long.

Try some spedco insoles. They make a big difference for cusioning those heals.

adidasman
05-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Hey I am open minded. If you want to waste money on logos in order to fulfill some kind empty void in your life go for it. You would be better off saving your money and building a court at your house for your kids though. Something that really matters. Better yet...work less hours to support your love for name brand clothing and spend more time with your kids.

Whatever floats your boat. The fact that I think your a dork has very little merit on your life believe it or not so try not to get in a hissy fit over it.

As far as your game vs mine.....whatever. You get riled to easily. One bad call and your emotional maturity and focus is gone. One bad call? So you're already planning the bad call, eh? Nice. Can't wait to play you. Maybe that's where the blood you spoke of comes from - your opponents punching you in the face. (Not that I'd hit you, of course - I might mess up my manicure.) As for my hissy fit, trust me - your opinion means as little to me as the opinion of the 4,327 other guys who've accused me of the same stuff you have in the past 40 years or so. If I was worried about it, I would have altered course by now.

Anyway, thanks for the spirited banter, and for the life advice. Sadly, though, I can't spend time with my kids any more. I used to have two, but was forced to sell them so I could get the entire Spring 2011 adidas tennis line. (Life is full of difficult choices.) I miss them, but they were eating into my fashion budget.

magnut
05-10-2011, 12:37 PM
One bad call? So you're already planning the bad call, eh? Nice. Can't wait to play you. Maybe that's where the blood you spoke of comes from - your opponents punching you in the face. (Not that I'd hit you, of course - I might mess up my manicure.) As for my hissy fit, trust me - your opinion means as little to me as the opinion of the 4,327 other guys who've accused me of the same stuff you have in the past 40 years or so. If I was worried about it, I would have altered course by now.

Anyway, thanks for the spirited banter, and for the life advice. Sadly, though, I can't spend time with my kids any more. I used to have two, but was forced to sell them so I could get the entire Spring 2011 adidas tennis line. (Life is full of difficult choices.) I miss them, but they were eating into my fashion budget.

I guess its all about priorities isnt it. Gooday Mate.

adidasman
05-10-2011, 01:12 PM
I guess its all about priorities isnt it. Gooday Mate. Yup, all joking aside, that's the truly important part - that's why I barely play any more. Too busy loving my wife and raising our two kids, and I just can't find time to get to the courts. In the end, I'd much rather be a good husband and dad than a good tennis player. (And I'm sorry if I got carried away a bit with what I said; your comments really hit a nerve for me. Nothing personal.)

magnut
05-10-2011, 01:19 PM
no worries and no need for apologies

we are all tennis players here. Thick skin is mandatory.

ssonosk
05-10-2011, 01:31 PM

As far as your game vs mine.....whatever. You get riled to easily. One bad call and your emotional maturity and focus is gone.

man you might be dumb :s

You honestly saying that if he saved the money he has spent on cloths he could build a court in his back yard? I doubt any tennis player has spent $30,0000 let alone $10,000 on cloths. You say that the industries are ruining the sport; honestly it's people like you if anything that are ruining the sport, and I bet you're a real kill joy to play with. And why are you so one sided that if someone doesn't agree or dress like you they're all of a sudden an idiot or dorky? If anything that makes you the dumb one.

Capt. Willie
05-10-2011, 02:21 PM
In the immortal words of Rodney King, "can't we all just get along?"

kevoT
05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
All the time, I don't want to look like a noob...

just_visiting
05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
If you're not being sponsored by the company you are wearing WHY would you really try and make everything match. Does it make you play any better? I guess some guys want to really be fashion statements. For me comfort over style is more important. It is always mixed brands and some, shockingly, do not have a brand label posted on the outside of the garment.

Since I buy everything Nike it's gonna match. No it does not make me play any better.

djNEiGht
05-11-2011, 04:27 PM
today
reebok shorts/shirt
acics gr3
mizuno wrist band
under armor hat
craft base layer
thorlo socks.

magnut
05-11-2011, 05:47 PM
man you might be dumb :s

You honestly saying that if he saved the money he has spent on cloths he could build a court in his back yard? I doubt any tennis player has spent $30,0000 let alone $10,000 on cloths. You say that the industries are ruining the sport; honestly it's people like you if anything that are ruining the sport, and I bet you're a real kill joy to play with. And why are you so one sided that if someone doesn't agree or dress like you they're all of a sudden an idiot or dorky? If anything that makes you the dumb one.

Hey, your not listening. If you wanna spend a bunch of mommys money (or yours hopefully) dressing like a dork that up to you. Its what dorks do. It could be worse. You could go on court dressing like a woman. Then again....thats where all this is going isnt it.

No I am not dumb (At least not on this issue). A decent ball machine starts around $800. You can spend that trying to look like pinocio (Federer) very quickly.

I never thought I would see the day when men would worry so much about how they looked when they went out to play sports. This must be a byproduct of higher estrogen levels among males or something.

ssonosk
05-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Hey, your not listening. If you wanna spend a bunch of mommys money (or yours hopefully) dressing like a dork that up to you. Its what dorks do. It could be worse. You could go on court dressing like a woman. Then again....thats where all this is going isnt it.

No I am not dumb (At least not on this issue). A decent ball machine starts around $800. You can spend that trying to look like pinocio (Federer) very quickly.

I never thought I would see the day when men would worry so much about how they looked when they went out to play sports. This must be a byproduct of higher estrogen levels among males or something.

Honestly I don't have a problem with you having an opinion, but why are you being such a D bag. Like are you always this way when you try to get your point across? It doesn't really do anything for you, but make you look like a self centered moron. Does it get you this riled up when people like to dress nicer than you?

Mick
05-11-2011, 08:42 PM
whenever i come to the court as a wta player, i would have to use the same type of racquet that she has used too :)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2iay5hi.jpg

ssonosk
05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
ha, Mick i like you man

8F93W5
05-11-2011, 09:31 PM
I have no idea what brand any of my clothes are except my Wilson Pro Staff shoes. I NEVER try to match colors except socks. I wouldn't wear one white and one black. I have an iron, but never use it. I don't buy clothes at a tennis or sports store. I usually play in T-Shirts. My favorite ones have my clubs name on it.
If you care so much about clothes, you're either a chick, or a midnight golfer.

film1
05-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Some of my favorite shirts to play in were 3 dollars on a close out sale at a discount store. They are very light and the sweat evaporates fast.
I think they are starter.

Power Player
05-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I am a total hybrid of Adidas and Nike. Adidas shoes fit me the best..but I have breathe cages as well since they were on a massive sale and I needed shoes at the time.

The Nike socks are the best to me and I really want to take good care of my feet. I have some dryfits and just got some elites, and they are worth the money.

As for shorts and shirts..Ross and Marshalls dictate this, but I look for Adidas and Nike.

As for the hat - I GHOAT, and always will. It's a pure comfort thing.

I personally dress like this because I sweat like a beast and need clothes that wick sweat and feel good. I rarely spend more then $12 a shirt or pair of shorts.

Mick
05-11-2011, 09:48 PM
ha, Mick i like you man

thanks! :)

i think i am going to show up to the tennis courts as Pinocchio tomorrow :D

magnut
05-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Honestly I don't have a problem with you having an opinion, but why are you being such a D bag. Like are you always this way when you try to get your point across? It doesn't really do anything for you, but make you look like a self centered moron. Does it get you this riled up when people like to dress nicer than you?

I am truely sorry you feel that way. Forgive me if I have hurt your feelings or made you uncomfortable in any way. I will sincerely try to be more delicate in my word useage and tone when trying to relay a point to you.

Hows that?............SISSY BOY!

Just kidding. Where I come from we razz each other all the time. Its all in good fun. Take it easy and dont take things so personally. I am not going to hang anyone from a tree because some dork wears a fancy shmancy tennis outfit.

People tell me I am actually a pretty nice guy. Although I admit I am pretty direct. Surely you would rather have me be honest then lie to you when enguaging in oppinionated conversation.

max
05-12-2011, 07:54 AM

. . . perhaps because of all the estrogen that's been released into our drinking water!

Nice byproduct of "advanced civilization": we get to drink water that contains undissolved estrogen previously ingested by women seeking to avoid pregnancy.

The_Question
05-12-2011, 08:09 AM
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Who the heck is this self-righteous newbie?? :?

adidasman
05-12-2011, 08:19 AM
today
reebok shorts/shirt
acics gr3
mizuno wrist band
under armor hat
craft base layer
thorlo socks. Your basic car crash.

adidasman
05-12-2011, 08:31 AM
You know, magnut, I could accept your comments a lot more if they weren't laced with all this "men who dress well on court are sissy boys" crap. An opinion is one thing; casting aspersions on how much of a man someone is based on how they dress is something else. I can guarantee you that my wife is a very happy woman, despite my closet full of dandified quasi-female clothes. Even my bright pink adidas adizero shirt and matching shoes seem to have left me with most of my testosterone intact. I could call guys like you neanderthal slobs, mindless, unsophisticated pigs whose idea of a napkin is a shirt sleeve and whose concept of looking sharp begins and ends at having your fly zipped, but I don't need to; you're doing it yourself. If taking pride in being a bum is fulfilling to you, and if you feel the need to justify your utter lack of tact or taste by assaulting people who actually have some degree of decorum, go right ahead. And then, if you want to pretend you're not really being nasty and condescending by saying that "where I come from, we all rib each other this way," you can do that - but remember, very few people here (if any) know you or are from your neck of the woods. So you might do well to try to communicate differently - that is, unless your goal is to enrage lots of people. (And you might want to read the autobiography of famed sissypants Rod Laver, who talks about how he always wanted to look sharp on court - so he took care with what he wore and how he was groomed. Of course, Rod's just about a transvestite, so I suppose his opinion isn't worth much.)

adidasman
05-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Who the heck is this self-righteous newbie?? :? He's making friends fast, whoever he is.

magnut
05-12-2011, 10:30 AM
You know, magnut, I could accept your comments a lot more if they weren't laced with all this "men who dress well on court are sissy boys" crap. An opinion is one thing; casting aspersions on how much of a man someone is based on how they dress is something else. I can guarantee you that my wife is a very happy woman, despite my closet full of dandified quasi-female clothes. Even my bright pink adidas adizero shirt and matching shoes seem to have left me with most of my testosterone intact. I could call guys like you neanderthal slobs, mindless, unsophisticated pigs whose idea of a napkin is a shirt sleeve and whose concept of looking sharp begins and ends at having your fly zipped, but I don't need to; you're doing it yourself. If taking pride in being a bum is fulfilling to you, and if you feel the need to justify your utter lack of tact or taste by assaulting people who actually have some degree of decorum, go right ahead. And then, if you want to pretend you're not really being nasty and condescending by saying that "where I come from, we all rib each other this way," you can do that - but remember, very few people here (if any) know you or are from your neck of the woods. So you might do well to try to communicate differently - that is, unless your goal is to enrage lots of people. (And you might want to read the autobiography of famed sissypants Rod Laver, who talks about how he always wanted to look sharp on court - so he took care with what he wore and how he was groomed. Of course, Rod's just about a transvestite, so I suppose his opinion isn't worth much.)

Yeah I will change my personality just to make you feel more comfortable.

Where do you people come from?

magnut
05-12-2011, 10:40 AM
He's making friends fast, whoever he is.

I dont get on the internet to make friends. I come here to share honest opinions about the game with fellow bretherin. We are all tennis lovers here. Its not about makeing friends and enemies. Its about open and honest discussion about a passion which we all share. I hold no ill feelings towards anyone. Even if they feel the need to play dress up and parade around the court like .......a dork.

adidasman
05-12-2011, 10:54 AM
I dont get on the internet to make friends. I come here to share honest opinions about the game with fellow bretherin. We are all tennis lovers here. Its not about makeing friends and enemies. Its about open and honest discussion about a passion which we all share. I hold no ill feelings towards anyone. Even if they feel the need to play dress up and parade around the court like .......a dork. Yeah, I really love guys who equate nasty and combative with "honest." It may not be about making friends or enemies, but it should be about mutual respect and consideration for other people's point of view - something you clearly lack. (I don't know - maybe you think what you're saying is clever or witty. In that case, you also lack a sense of humor.) And, of course, it's ironic that you're posting all these comments on a tennis retailer's website, one that's paid for by and operates because of dorks like me who shell out our hard-earned cash to look like sissies on court. I take back my earlier apology.

Power Player
05-12-2011, 11:01 AM
You may not get on the net to make friends, but you will find out that you may just do that anyway when you find people nearby who share common interests, like your personality and maybe decide to hook you up with a deal on gear, are great players who want to hit....etc. So it pays to be nice to people and not so judging from the printed word.

Also, I would never show up to a public court with full Rogi gear on or even a collared tennis shirt, but some of the higher end clubs here require that stuff. So I know at some point I will have to grab a couple tennis polos for those occasions. I used to just wear white Hanes Ts..but I sweat too much out here and had to start crashing Ross and Marshalls for dry fit style shirts and shorts.

Bri-guy
05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I was wondering why this thread has so many posts, and now I know.

Anyways.....

I prefer my Adidas competition shorts (short inseam, I'm not too tall) but always pair them with all my other Nike gear, which includes socks, shoes, shirt, wristbands, and the GHOAT. Tennis is my one major hobby, besides my son, so I like to invest some of my hard earned money on nice gear. Though, I still never pay full retail.

Cheers!

jonnythan
05-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I couldn't imagine trying to match your dress unless you're playing in spectator tournaments or something.

I have New Balance shoes, a Wilson racquet, shirts from EMS, Russell, Nike, and Arc'teryx, hats and visors by Nike and Adidas, shorts by Starter and Reebok.

magnut
05-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I really love guys who equate nasty and combative with "honest." It may not be about making friends or enemies, but it should be about mutual respect and consideration for other people's point of view - something you clearly lack. (I don't know - maybe you think what you're saying is clever or witty. In that case, you also lack a sense of humor.) And, of course, it's ironic that you're posting all these comments on a tennis retailer's website, one that's paid for by and operates because of dorks like me who shell out our hard-earned cash to look like sissies on court. I take back my earlier apology.

You crack me up.

I cant believe you get so worked up because someone thinks you dress funny. And then anyone who does not dress like you does not support tennis warehouse as a retailer (they sell other stuff ya know). If someone wears a plain t-shirt and a pair of swim trunks on court they are some type of caveman from the stone age. Also, if someone does not agree with you that equates them as a lesser person because they have no sense of humor and are nasty and combative. And....No need for apologies anyways as you have not once offended me. So no worries there.

I respect your point of view. I just think you dress like a dork. Who cares. Whats the problem? There are plenty of dorks out there. Nothing wrong with it. Last I checked dorks are not out molesting children and causeing destruction. It doesnt equate to being a bad person or anything. It just means you waste your hard earned money on stupid name brands to fill some sort of void in your life. Thats ok too though. Its your money....buy what you want.

I would only ask one thing.......Just do me a favor and try to stay away from carrying fancy schmancy purses on court.

Federer in my mind will be the greatest male tennis play to ever carry a purse on to court. In this are he truelly is the GOAT. Without question.

jonnythan
05-12-2011, 11:27 AM
If someone walked onto the local courts wearing all-matching gear, I don't think I'd be able to keep myself from laughing.

magnut
05-12-2011, 11:27 AM
[QUOTE=Power Player;5641070]You may not get on the net to make friends, but you will find out that you may just do that anyway when you find people nearby who share common interests, like your personality and maybe decide to hook you up with a deal on gear, are great players who want to hit....etc. So it pays to be nice to people and not so judging from the printed word.
[QUOTE]

Um...no. Thats not me mate. I dont make friends with people to get good deals. Those are not friends. Friendship is not about getting things .....for me anyways. My friends like me for who I am........ Not some image I portray. They could care less If I wear fancy name brand clothing. In fact I would probably get ragged on for it.

ssonosk
05-12-2011, 11:29 AM
You may not get on the net to make friends, but you will find out that you may just do that anyway when you find people nearby who share common interests, like your personality and maybe decide to hook you up with a deal on gear, are great players who want to hit....etc. So it pays to be nice to people and not so judging from the printed word.

Also, I would never show up to a public court with full Rogi gear on or even a collared tennis shirt, but some of the higher end clubs here require that stuff. So I know at some point I will have to grab a couple tennis polos for those occasions. I used to just wear white Hanes Ts..but I sweat too much out here and had to start crashing Ross and Marshalls for dry fit style shirts and shorts.

ha yea playing in regular shirts sucks once they get really sweaty

adidasman
05-12-2011, 11:50 AM
You crack me up.

I cant believe you get so worked up because someone thinks you dress funny. And then anyone who does not dress like you does not support tennis warehouse as a retailer (they sell other stuff ya know). If someone wears a plain t-shirt and a pair of swim trunks on court they are some type of caveman from the stone age. Also, if someone does not agree with you that equates them as a lesser person because they have no sense of humor and are nasty and combative. And....No need for apologies anyways as you have not once offended me. So no worries there.

I respect your point of view. I just think you dress like a dork. Who cares. Whats the problem? There are plenty of dorks out there. Nothing wrong with it. Last I checked dorks are not out molesting children and causeing destruction. It doesnt equate to being a bad person or anything. It just means you waste your hard earned money on stupid name brands to fill some sort of void in your life. Thats ok too though. Its your money....buy what you want.

I would only ask one thing.......Just do me a favor and try to stay away from carrying fancy schmancy purses on court.

Federer in my mind will be the greatest male tennis play to ever carry a purse on to court. In this are he truelly is the GOAT. Without question. Man, you just can't help yourself, can you? "It just means you waste your hard earned money on stupid name brands to fill some sort of void in your life." No value judgment in there. No condemnation. Nope. None. OK. I give up. I really don't care if you agree with me, man; I really don't. (As I said before, I've been dressing this way for close to 40 years; you're not the first to mock me, and you won't be the last. I couldn't care less.) I just think you're being disingenuous when you say you really don't care what some of us wear, but you follow it up by saying people who dress that way are dorks or sissies. Say what you want, but those words are not without their share of negative connotations - and you know it. Whatever. (I will promise about the purse, though; gotta draw a line somewhere.) So does your fur loincloth chafe you on a hot, muggy day? I bet the rash is beyond ugly - but you don't care. Too manly to care. Just belch loudly, scratch your crotch, and hit your second serve into the net. Ugh.

adidasman
05-12-2011, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=Power Player;5641070]You may not get on the net to make friends, but you will find out that you may just do that anyway when you find people nearby who share common interests, like your personality and maybe decide to hook you up with a deal on gear, are great players who want to hit....etc. So it pays to be nice to people and not so judging from the printed word.
[QUOTE]

Um...no. Thats not me mate. I dont make friends with people to get good deals. Those are not friends. Friendship is not about getting things .....for me anyways. My friends like me for who I am........ Not some image I portray. They could care less If I wear fancy name brand clothing. In fact I would probably get ragged on for it. Notice how he managed to find the one possibly negative thing in Power Player's comments - the bit about getting a deal on gear - and made it all about that. As if that's what PP was suggesting, that you want to be nice to people ONLY so you can save some money. Just a bastion of love and good cheer, this guy.

magnut
05-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Loin cloths are all I wear. Its ......all I have. I make them from the dear I kill with my trust homemade spear. If I wore anything else it would be a burden when swinging from the trees with my neighborhood gorillas.

As far as shirts getting soaked with sweat and being uncomfortable........

You guys wear shirts when you play? Sounds like some sort of self esteam problem. Maybe you should work out more, eat less etc.

magnut
05-12-2011, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=magnut;5641177][QUOTE=Power Player;5641070]You may not get on the net to make friends, but you will find out that you may just do that anyway when you find people nearby who share common interests, like your personality and maybe decide to hook you up with a deal on gear, are great players who want to hit....etc. So it pays to be nice to people and not so judging from the printed word.
Notice how he managed to find the one possibly negative thing in Power Player's comments - the bit about getting a deal on gear - and made it all about that. As if that's what PP was suggesting, that you want to be nice to people ONLY so you can save some money. Just a bastion of love and good cheer, this guy.

Hey he brought it up. People who say things like that have deluded thought processes. Not saying he is deluded though. Maybe just a gaff. I dont know him well enough to say he is an unethical person. If I made friends to get deals though I wouldnt have any. Not any real friends anyways.

Would you want to be friends with people just because they wanted something from you? What happens when you dont have what they want? Are they still your friends?

8F93W5
05-12-2011, 12:07 PM
You know, magnut, I could accept your comments a lot more if they weren't laced with all this "men who dress well on court are sissy boys" crap. ............ I could call guys like you neanderthal slobs, mindless, unsophisticated pigs whose idea of a napkin is a shirt sleeve and whose concept of looking sharp begins and ends at having your fly zipped, ......................... (And you might want to read the autobiography of famed sissypants Rod Laver, who talks about how he always wanted to look sharp on court -

Male amateur recreational tennis players who care too much about the way they look on a tennis court are not necessarily a sissy boy, but they're probably a midnight golfer. I think the best players don't give a hoot about nice clothes while on court.

Rod Laver was a top pro and before that he was a top amateur who had perks with the job. I did read his book, The Education Of A Tennis Player. It's on the shelf with my other 100+ tennis biographies.
As Lloyd Bentsen said to Dan Quayle "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy, I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine, Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy

I don't think it's good to use your shirt sleeve for a napkin if it's something like yellow mustard that you're wiping. For some things, it's OK.
I sort of agree that looking sharp begins and ends with zipping my fly, but you can ruin everything if you have visible tattoo's. That shows no class.
It's good to have clean clothes when you're out somewhere nice. You may grab a reasonably clean shirt from the hamper if you're going to be doing hard outdoor jobs, or play tennis, soccer, basketball, USA Football.

ssonosk
05-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Loin cloths are all I wear. Its ......all I have. I make them from the dear I kill with my trust homemade spear. If I wore anything else it would be a burden when swinging from the trees with my neighborhood gorillas.

As far as shirts getting soaked with sweat and being uncomfortable........

You guys wear shirts when you play? Sounds like some sort of self esteam problem. Maybe you should work out more, eat less etc.

gah you must get sun burn a lot

and playing without a shirt just isn't my style

magnut
05-12-2011, 12:21 PM
gah you must get sun burn a lot

and playing without a shirt just isn't my style

Sometimes my loin cloth is still drying from the blood from my last wild game kill. In that situation I just wear a sock. A big one.

Non branded of course.

8F93W5
05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
On the very rare occasion when I play against someone in a tournament or league match who has nice matching expensive tennis specific clothes, I see that as a good sign that I'm maybe going to win easily. I see him as a fool who thinks he can buy a win if he buys an expensive shirt. I also know to never underestimate someone for wearing so called lousy clothes.

Power Player
05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE]

Um...no. Thats not me mate. I dont make friends with people to get good deals. Those are not friends. Friendship is not about getting things .....for me anyways. My friends like me for who I am........ Not some image I portray. They could care less If I wear fancy name brand clothing. In fact I would probably get ragged on for it.

I think you misread my point, but thats cool. I'm not going to argue over it..lol.

My point is it pays to be nice to people. You can meet good hitting partners here. It's easy to call some guy a dork over the net, but if you met him you most likely would not feel the same way.

Gemini
05-12-2011, 12:42 PM
On the very rare occasion when I play against someone in a tournament or league match who has nice matching expensive tennis specific clothes, I see that as a good sign that I'm maybe going to win easily. I see him as a fool who thinks he can buy a win if he buys an expensive shirt. I also know to never underestimate someone for wearing so called lousy clothes.

Yeah..that's a tough one. At lower levels if a guy is matching (shoes, shorts, shirt, socks, sweat bands), I'd think he was compensating for skill by trying to intimidate with image but you really don't know for sure until the match is joined. At higher levels..say 4.5+...you'll probably find guys less inclined to dress in all the same gear...and they can all give you a run for your money regardless of how they dress.

I stick with Nike shoes because they have and continue to serve me well. I'm pretty sure all my shorts are Nike as well, but shirts, socks, sweat bands, hats are all free range.

adidasman
05-12-2011, 12:48 PM
On the very rare occasion when I play against someone in a tournament or league match who has nice matching expensive tennis specific clothes, I see that as a good sign that I'm maybe going to win easily. I see him as a fool who thinks he can buy a win if he buys an expensive shirt. I also know to never underestimate someone for wearing so called lousy clothes. Good. I hope to play you someday. You'll underestimate me based on my dazzling ensemble, and I'll crush you. All the while looking like I just stepped out of an adidas catalog. Sweet.

magnut
05-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Good. I hope to play you someday. You'll underestimate me based on my dazzling ensemble, and I'll crush you. All the while looking like I just stepped out of an adidas catalog. Sweet.

Careful gloating. You may face me in the next round wearing my tuxedo.

adidasman
05-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Funny - when I see a guy in nice tennis clothes, I think, "Hey, he's a tennis player." Not a gardener or a mechanic or a bricklayer. It never occurs to me to connect his outfit with his skill level. (I do connect his outfit with his fashion sense or lack thereof, however. I feel that's fair.) Kinda like when I see a policeman in uniform, and I think, "He's a policeman."

magnut
05-12-2011, 12:54 PM
I once knew a guy that was into fassion. Some type of sissy boy model or something for Abercrombie and Fitch. He liked my loin cloth. Kept wanting to touch it or something.

Mick
05-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Good. I hope to play you someday. You'll underestimate me based on my dazzling ensemble, and I'll crush you. All the while looking like I just stepped out of an adidas catalog. Sweet.

imo people who dress well show that they care more about the sports than those who don't dress well. but obviously, those who don't dress well disagree but on a tennis court, the better player always wins.

adidasman
05-12-2011, 01:00 PM
imo people who dress well show that they care more about the sports than those who don't dress well. but obviously, those who don't dress well disagree but on a tennis court, the better player always wins. But the appropriately dressed player ALWAYS looks better, regardless of the score. And, in my experience, the cute chicks always notice. ;)

Power Player
My GF keeps looking for old school borg like tennis clothes like Mick posted..the high sock, short shorts look and wants me to play in the outfit for lols. I'd probably do it..thought about once I get a video of me hitting I'd rock that look to entertain the masses here.

magnut
imo people who dress well show that they care more about the sports than those who don't dress well. but obviously, those who don't dress well disagree but on a tennis court, the better player always wins.

Gotta disagree there. Priorities are different for everyone. I would choose to spend more time playing tennis than working more to wear fancy clothes.

If I wear an Armani suit does that mean I love the game more than anyone else.......ever.

magnut
05-12-2011, 01:06 PM
But the appropriately dressed player ALWAYS looks better, regardless of the score. And, in my experience, the cute chicks always notice. ;)

Sorry I can live my life according to what chicks like :)

Besides what matters is whats beneath the clothing anyways. Chicks seem to dig my loin cloth. Especially the biker babes with tatoos. When I walk into the local tavern the shealas respond like Tarzan has entered the building. They dont even mind when I club them on the head and drag them by the hair back to my cave for a long night of animalistic passion.

Mick
05-12-2011, 01:08 PM
But the appropriately dressed player ALWAYS looks better, regardless of the score. And, in my experience, the cute chicks always notice. ;)

yeah. unlike the experiences of some of the posters here, at the courts where i would play, those who don't wear matched tennis clothing usually very low levels. they are about the same levels as those who would play in street clothing. good players usually would come to the courts carrying a 6 racquet bag. but we pretty much know who the good players are since everybody would come to the courts every day of the week :)

adidasman
05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Gotta disagree there. Priorities are different for everyone. I would choose to spend more time playing tennis than working more to wear fancy clothes.

If I wear an Armani suit does that mean I love the game more than anyone else.......ever. Of course, as a teaching pro, you might be able to charge more if you looked more like a player and less like a 7-11 cashier, and then you could actually work less, make more, and have time for even more tennis. Just a thought.

Mick
05-12-2011, 01:17 PM
My GF keeps looking for old school borg like tennis clothes like Mick posted..the high sock, short shorts look and wants me to play in the outfit for lols. I'd probably do it..thought about once I get a video of me hitting I'd rock that look to entertain the masses here.

haha. you know, it's tougher to get in shape to wear those tennis clothes than to play good tennis. you've got to become super lean.

magnut
05-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Of course, as a teaching pro, you might be able to charge more if you looked more like a player and less like a 7-11 cashier, and then you could actually work less, make more, and have time for even more tennis. Just a thought.

Possibly. But then again what does that say about me. Futher more what would it say about those I teach. Class isnt something you buy its something you have within you. If you need fancy clothes to be classy then you dont have any.

Besides....if you wear loin cloths you dont have to charge people as much.

Hey!...whats wrong with 7-11 cashiers. I am sure there are some darn good tennis players out there that have worked as cashiers. Being good at something does not equat to having money to buy expensive clothing. Many olympic athletes worked at UPS in the past.

The_Question
05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
He's making friends fast, whoever he is.

More like seeking attention, by...text on the internet...

8F93W5
05-12-2011, 01:28 PM

Ma'am, I wrote that MAYBE it will be an easy match. I'm not going to underestimate anyone.

adidasman
05-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Possibly. But then again what does that say about me. Futher more what would it say about those I teach. Class isnt something you buy its something you have within you. If you need fancy clothes to be classy then you dont have any.

Besides....if you wear loin cloths you dont have to charge people as much.

Hey!...whats wrong with 7-11 cashiers. I am sure there are some darn good tennis players out there that have worked as cashiers. Being good at something does not equat to having money to buy expensive clothing. Many olympic athletes worked at UPS in the past. Man, you sure have a knack for turning everything into a negative. I used to drive a school bus, for goodness' sake; I'm far from wealthy, and I have no issue with 7-11 cashiers. (Besides, you don't have to be rich to dress well. It's not about how much your clothes cost or how many outfits you own, it's how you wear what you have.) As for your "class" comment, you're missing the point. What a decent outfit would tell potential students - one who don't know you, and don't yet realize your vast skill and your fiery passion for teaching - is that you're serious about what you do, you have some familiarity with the sport and its traditions, and you have had some success at what you do. Why is that so bad? Are you that desperate to maintain your status as The I Refuse To Sell Out Rebel Tennis Pro?

hrstrat57
05-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Interesting thread :)

Always Nike dri fit shorts, tho lo socks and Prince shoes.

All bets are off on the tops. Have Lotto, Nike dri fit, Fila, Under Armour and lots of tennis tees given to me by my 2 kids from their college tennis teams. Have couple of Head tees too and a few misc ATP tour tournament souvenir tees.

Have 2 white caps in the rotation at the moment a Nike dri fit and an Under Armour...both fitted, I hate hats with straps......

Need a couple new pair of Nike shorts mine are pretty beat and nasty.....

adidasman
05-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Ma'am, I wrote that MAYBE it will be an easy match. I'm not going to underestimate anyone. Ma'am? Ha, ha. So clever. OK, I'll modify my statement - MAYBE you'll underestimate me, and MAYBE I'll crush you. Or maybe I won't. But I will DEFINITELY look better than you do, either way.

Mick
05-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Man, you sure have a knack for turning everything into a negative. I used to drive a school bus, for goodness' sake; I'm far from wealthy, and I have no issue with 7-11 cashiers. (Besides, you don't have to be rich to dress well. It's not about how much your clothes cost or how many outfits you own, it's how you wear what you have.) As for your "class" comment, you're missing the point. What a decent outfit would tell potential students - one who don't know you, and don't yet realize your vast skill and your fiery passion for teaching - is that you're serious about what you do, you have some familiarity with the sport and its traditions, and you have had some success at what you do. Why is that so bad? Are you that desperate to maintain your status as The I Refuse To Sell Out Rebel Tennis Pro?

i think his points are valid for beginners who dress like atp / wta players :)
one time i've seen a james blake clone. he couldn't keep 2 balls in play but he looked just like james blake (shaved head with head band, no sleeve nike shirt, etc...)

magnut
05-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Man, you sure have a knack for turning everything into a negative. I used to drive a school bus, for goodness' sake; I'm far from wealthy, and I have no issue with 7-11 cashiers. (Besides, you don't have to be rich to dress well. It's not about how much your clothes cost or how many outfits you own, it's how you wear what you have.) As for your "class" comment, you're missing the point. What a decent outfit would tell potential students - one who don't know you, and don't yet realize your vast skill and your fiery passion for teaching - is that you're serious about what you do, you have some familiarity with the sport and its traditions, and you have had some success at what you do. Why is that so bad? Are you that desperate to maintain your status as The I Refuse To Sell Out Rebel Tennis Pro?

My skills to teach and bring the strength from within my students are the foundation of my ability. I dont seek out students. I dont even accept offers if the student themselves do not ask. If parents ask me to teach there children I make their child ask me. Thats one of the first lessons in tennis and maturity in general. You have to take resposibility for what you want.

No I dont sell out. Its not me. I like to be able to look at myself in the shallow puddle of my cave and like who I am. For me a large part of that is being genuine. Likeing who and what you are is a very large factor in being happy in life. I am a happy person. I just dont lie to myself or others. Lieing to one self is toxic. On court and off.

adidasman
05-12-2011, 02:05 PM
My skills to teach and bring the strength from within my students are the foundation of my ability. I dont seek out students. I dont even accept offers if the student themselves do not ask. If parents ask me to teach there children I make their child ask me. Thats one of the first lessons in tennis and maturity in general. You have to take resposibility for what you want.

No I dont sell out. Its not me. I like to be able to look at myself in the shallow puddle of my cave and like who I am. For me a large part of that is being genuine. Likeing who and what you are is a very large factor in being happy in life. I am a happy person. I just dont lie to myself or others. Lieing to one self is toxic. On court and off. Good for you. I'm sure there's a certain kind of student who responds well to your style. But wearing nice tennis outfits doesn't make one dishonest or shallow or a sellout. (I'd wager you don't agree, but it's true.) You might not believe it, but some of us wear cool tennis clothes just because we enjoy it. Nothing more.

adidasman
05-12-2011, 02:06 PM
i think his points are valid for beginners who dress like atp / wta players :)
one time i've seen a james blake clone. he couldn't keep 2 balls in play but he looked just like james blake (shaved head with head band, no sleeve nike shirt, etc...) But why does that bother you???? What difference does that make???

magnut
05-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Good for you. I'm sure there's a certain kind of student who responds well to your style. But wearing nice tennis outfits doesn't make one dishonest or shallow or a sellout. (I'd wager you don't agree, but it's true.) You might not believe it, but some of us wear cool tennis clothes just because we enjoy it. Nothing more.

Are you saying loin cloths are not cool. Have you no love for history. Loin cloths were the original tennis clothing. And still the best. They are the tournagrip of tennis attire.

And yes my students like me. I some of them fishing somtimes. They come over to watch classic matches in my cave while I gut the dear for the feast. One of them has even become a Tennis director now at the ripe age of 22. I am a bit worried about him though. Hes beginning to talk about money more than tennis. I may have to slap him around a little next time I see him.

Mick
05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
But why does that bother you???? What difference does that make???
it didn't bother me that much. i just noticed him because of the headband on a bald head look :)

8F93W5
05-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Ma'am? Ha, ha. So clever. OK, I'll modify my statement - MAYBE you'll underestimate me, and MAYBE I'll crush you. Or maybe I won't. But I will DEFINITELY look better than you do, either way.

I'm not that good. Just a tiny bit past NTRP 3.5 which puts me at 4.0 for USTA League. I'm not doing well in the 4.0s. I do know that all over the world, 50% of the people who played today lost.
I don't care what a persons clothes look like. I like women and if I'm not attracted to her, there's no outfit, purse, shoes, earrings, makeup, panties, bra, perfume, necklace, jewels, etc. on Earth that will make her attractive to me. If she's a cow, she's a cow.
Same with you vs me. I'm not that great looking, but if you're fat, or bald, or tattooed, etc. your clothes can't fix that.

jokinla
05-13-2011, 12:37 AM
@magnut
By putting people down to make yourself feel better, you are filling the void in your life, which to me is much worse than buying a shirt to fill the void.

If there weren't corporate sponsorships and marketing, the game would not be experiencing the global explosion it currently is, without them there would be no pro game, and with no pro game, tennis would be like horseshoes, and you would have nobody to teach.

And of course you can play and teach in whatever, but it is a brand, marketed by a corporation, unless of course you make your own clothes.

magnut
05-13-2011, 12:53 AM
@magnut
By putting people down to make yourself feel better, you are filling the void in your life, which to me is much worse than buying a shirt to fill the void.

If there weren't corporate sponsorships and marketing, the game would not be experiencing the global explosion it currently is, without them there would be no pro game, and with no pro game, tennis would be like horseshoes, and you would have nobody to teach.

And of course you can play and teach in whatever, but it is a brand, marketed by a corporation, unless of course you make your own clothes.

Yeah Whatever. I dont care if people want to dress like dorks. Just dont bring purses on court.

Hey...I already said I wear loin cloths from the dear I kill for food.

Tennis was around long before corperations took it over. Tennis is much bigger than the Nike and Adidas. If anything these corperations are hurting the game. Just like they have every other sport. More marketing and promotion is not always a good thing if the motives are not for the good of the sport. This goes for sports, entertainment, government, the red cross, cancer research ........whatever. When big money gets involved things can go to hang real quick.

Oh and what the heck is wrong with horseshoes? You can bet I will be teaching my kids some mean horseshoes in the future. Its a nice relaxing and social activity for families and friends. Like tennis is. But you dont need to dress like Wyatt Earp to enjoy it. Just like you dont need to dress like Roger Federer to play tennis.

ssonosk
05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Yeah Whatever. I dont care if people want to dress like dorks. Just dont bring purses on court.

Hey...I already said I wear loin cloths from the dear I kill for food.

Tennis was around long before corperations took it over. Tennis is much bigger than the Nike and Adidas. If anything these corperations are hurting the game. Just like they have every other sport. More marketing and promotion is not always a good thing if the motives are not for the good of the sport. This goes for sports, entertainment, government, the red cross, cancer research ........whatever. When big money gets involved things can go to hang real quick.

Oh and what the heck is wrong with horseshoes? You can bet I will be teaching my kids some mean horseshoes in the future. Its a nice relaxing and social activity for families and friends. Like tennis is. But you dont need to dress like Wyatt Earp to enjoy it. Just like you dont need to dress like Roger Federer to play tennis.

I say money + tennis = is good. It lets people make a living just off tennis.

And i've never played horseshoes. :s

I still don't get why you think dressing nice makes you a dork, or some noobie playing tennis

magnut
05-13-2011, 12:16 PM
exploitation--- the persistent social relationship in which certain persons are being mistreated for the benefit of others.

Try this.....

Growth for the game is good.

Exploiting (at the expense of the game) for higher profits is not.

Tennis > Money

ssonosk
05-13-2011, 12:41 PM
tennis = money

Mick
05-13-2011, 12:43 PM
you guys will never be able to convince each other to see things your way.

ssonosk
05-13-2011, 12:45 PM
yes, but i'm hoping my points make him think twice

magnut
05-13-2011, 12:53 PM
tennis = money

Many of the young men in this newer generation think as you do. But then a man gets older, he thinks very differently, and things get very clear.

adidasman
05-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm not that good. Just a tiny bit past NTRP 3.5 which puts me at 4.0 for USTA League. I'm not doing well in the 4.0s. I do know that all over the world, 50% of the people who played today lost.
I don't care what a persons clothes look like. I like women and if I'm not attracted to her, there's no outfit, purse, shoes, earrings, makeup, panties, bra, perfume, necklace, jewels, etc. on Earth that will make her attractive to me. If she's a cow, she's a cow.
Same with you vs me. I'm not that great looking, but if you're fat, or bald, or tattooed, etc. your clothes can't fix that. Very true - it's the old "can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear" thing. But I'm a 4.5 player, pretty fit, not fat or tattooed; I am mostly bald, but I don't think that makes one intrinsically unattractive. (Andre got Steffi, after all.) So it sounds like I should be able to beat you AND look better than you - let's play! ;)

max
05-13-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm old school. Looking all dressed up is for the girly men. Real guys have better things to worry about.

magnut
05-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Very true - it's the old "can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear" thing. But I'm a 4.5 player, pretty fit, not fat or tattooed; I am mostly bald, but I don't think that makes one intrinsically unattractive. (Andre got Steffi, after all.) So it sounds like I should be able to beat you AND look better than you - let's play! ;)

Your wrong there. Bald people are ugly. Always have benn and always will be. Except babies. They are cute. If bald were handsom Jesus would not have had hair.

Just kidding.

cdubdub
05-13-2011, 02:48 PM
magnut reminds me of one of those hippies off south park that relates everything back to the "corporation"

anyways, almost everything i have is adidas, but i do have nike socks and a nike shirt. theyre nice, i usually can just find adidas for a cheaper price.
I think that I wear mostly matching things is because I am completely obsessed with tennis, and if Im not playing tennis, i am watching tennis or thinking about it. So i like to look good while I feel good!

magnut
05-13-2011, 05:02 PM
magnut reminds me of one of those hippies off south park that relates everything back to the "corporation"

anyways, almost everything i have is adidas, but i do have nike socks and a nike shirt. theyre nice, i usually can just find adidas for a cheaper price.
I think that I wear mostly matching things is because I am completely obsessed with tennis, and if Im not playing tennis, i am watching tennis or thinking about it. So i like to look good while I feel good!

Thats not tennis mate thats dress up.

You guys go bargain shopping like a bunch of women. :shock:

Your going to make sombody a fine wife someday.:razz:

magnut
05-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I found a new court accessory for you guys. Im sure if you shop around and you can find one on sale.

Here the link...

http://www.whatsalltheracquet.com/archives/002238.php

ssonosk
05-13-2011, 05:08 PM
It's official by magnut standards, if you even consider buying nice cloths, and matching then you're a sissy boy ;o

magnut
05-13-2011, 05:15 PM
So do you guys have special days of the week to hit the sales or is it a daily thing?

Do you go shopping with all your fasion loving friends or is it more solo?

Do you pay for it or does mommy pick up the tab?

This is important information you blokes are leaving out for your fellow shoppers.

ssonosk
05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
So do you guys have special days of the week to hit the sales or is it a daily thing?

Do you go shopping with all your fasion loving friends or is it more solo?

Do you pay for it or does mommy pick up the tab?

This is important information you blokes are leaving out for your fellow shoppers.

um when I have some cash sitting around I usually check if tw or marshalls/ross has anything going on

I pay for most of my stuff, but my mom picks up the tab sometimes
(I need a job) :(

magnut
05-13-2011, 05:46 PM
um when I have some cash sitting around I usually check if tw or marshalls/ross has anything going on

I pay for most of my stuff, but my mom picks up the tab sometimes
(I need a job) :(

At least your honest. Kudos to you there mate.