PDA

View Full Version : Gasquet on ATP/WTA mixed events: "It is awful"

Heracles
05-03-2011, 09:27 AM
"It's awful, there are no courts to train because there are too much players, it is not good.

He added

"Each time there is a men and women tournament we must look at the crowd, there is nobody for the women while for the men there is a lot of people".

babbette
05-03-2011, 09:30 AM
It's nice to hear a players view on this. I've always wondered if the players (particularly atp) enjoy them.
I'd imagine it's too much distraction for players that like to remain serious during tournaments.

I actually find them pointless.

tenis1
05-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I see. So WTA players and mixed event are the reason he lost to Gimeno-Traver in the 1st round. Too much distraction :roll:
Nice excuse.

RalphDUD
05-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I see. So WTA players and mixed event are the reason he lost to Gimeno-Traver in the 1st round. Too much distraction :roll:
Nice excuse.

I don't think he was making it as an excuse for his loss, as he did not mention losing because women are at the event. Moreover I think he was simply voicing the majority opinion of men on the tour and of the fans.

JAY1
05-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice excuse.
Its not about excuses, Gasquet is just stating a fact!
Women's tennis really is dire and kinda has been since Graf, Seles, Martina etc.
Forget the vast difference between mens and womens tennis, everyone know the huge gulf in standard.
It's about the lack of appeal/personality/class that most of the women have. Nearly all of them are prima donnas and take themselves way too seriously.
What spectators and the public want to feel, is the warmth and normality from the players and not too many of the female players portray that.

fantom
05-03-2011, 10:47 AM
I guess he didn't look into the stands during his 1st round match. There couldn't have been 40 people total watching.

tenis1
05-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Its not about excuses, Gasquet is just stating a fact!
Women's tennis really is dire and kinda has been since Graf, Seles, Martina etc.
Forget the vast difference between mens and womens tennis, everyone know the huge gulf in standard.
It's about the lack of appeal/personality/class that most of the women have. Nearly all of them are prima donnas and take themselves way too seriously.
What spectators and the public want to feel, is the warmth and normality from the players and not too many of the female players portray that.

I like Gasquet, but I don't think he is stating any facts here. He can state stuff like this and complain when he is able to pass the 1st round and, as "fantom" said, get more than 40 people in the audience to watch him. If this is majority opinion lets hear other players complain. I don't think his comments were fair to the women players.

It is just that his statement is inline with general consensus and constant WTA bashing here, so people are quick to agree.

mellowyellow
05-03-2011, 11:19 AM
It is just that his statement is inline with general consensus and constant WTA bashing here, so people are quick to agree.

Well then put me down for a thumbs up to his statement. Seems the Tennis Channel has it right, I haven't seen any womens tennis on tv yet, but I guess they wouldn't know what the general public wants to see?

Kunohara
05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Regardless of wether he had an audience or not, he is pretty much right.

BrooklynNY
05-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't know if anyone has ever had the experience of having to sit through a 3 hr marathon breakfest women's tennis match, where someone is up a set and 4-1, and then somehow manages to lose 5-7 in the 3rd, meanwhile, the match you actually paid/want to see, doesn't start until midnight,
But its a terrible experience.
*cough US Open*, I couldn't sit through it at a regular tour stop.

tennis_pro
05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Mixing it is the only reason WTA is still alive.

norbac
05-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Agree with Gasquet, its a shame the Cincy event is going to be mixed this year.....

namelessone
05-03-2011, 12:44 PM

This times 100.

I don't know who watches WTA anymore. There are interesting matches once in a blue moon and there isn't a kournikova type of figure to lure the pervs into the stands :)

dominikk1985
05-03-2011, 12:47 PM
"It's awful, there are no courts to train because there are too much players, it is not good.

He added

"Each time there is a men and women tournament we must look at the crowd, there is nobody for the women while for the men there is a lot of people".

Do you have a link where he said this?

please don't post interviews without an original link. always better to read the complete thing.

iriraz
05-03-2011, 12:49 PM
I agree that it`s a bad idea to organise mixed events outside of slams.In the slams there are 20 courts or more where everyone can practice before a match while i doubt that in Madrid every player can have his fair share except probably the top players.

Devilito
05-03-2011, 12:49 PM

WTA bashing? nobody wants to watch the WTA not even women. If it's a male chauvinist issue then why arenít females packing the stands to watch WTA events?

Heracles
05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
The link is in French and I translated the whole thing, it was short.

Heracles
05-03-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't know if anyone has ever had the experience of having to sit through a 3 hr marathon breakfest women's tennis match, where someone is up a set and 4-1, and then somehow manages to lose 5-7 in the 3rd, meanwhile, the match you actually paid/want to see, doesn't start until midnight,

I understand what you mean.

Even when you want to watch a match on TV or internet and he starts way after because there is one of these WTA slugfest that nobody care about.

It's amazing how these WTA matchs can be long , with all game going to advantages and with both players choking at some point just to make the match longer.

Beryl
05-03-2011, 12:57 PM
This times 100.

I don't know who watches WTA anymore. There are interesting matches once in a blue moon and there isn't a kournikova type of figure to lure the pervs into the stands :)I'd watch Marikiri play for ever and ever. :oops:

But Gasquet is right, otherwise I have no interest in Women's tennis, it's just a distraction with the combined events. Only the slams are watchable for me.

bluetrain4
05-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I do like mixed events when the WTA is strong. Obviously for me, the viewer, the issue isn't lack of training space, but the fact that today a great men's match may be overlooked for a match involving a WTA "star" that is still a baad match.

But, you have to commit to the idea one way or the other, so I guess I'd vote in favor of the mixed events in hopes that one day the women will get their act together.

Also, these facilities really should have adequate training space to host such an event.

CCNM
05-03-2011, 01:20 PM
The men players could practice with the women players????

Devilito
05-03-2011, 01:34 PM
mixed events might be better if they lowered the WTA draw sizes, then at least the top players will be concentrated more. 32 player draw for Masters 1000 events and 64 for Slams

cc0509
05-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Nice excuse.

He is a flake. I don't think women are the object of his attention in any case. Just sayin.'

cc0509
05-03-2011, 08:21 PM
WTA bashing? nobody wants to watch the WTA not even women. If it's a male chauvinist issue then why aren’t females packing the stands to watch WTA events?

I agree that the WTA is not in the best state currently, but I still enjoy the mixed tournaments and watching both the women and the men play. I just choose the women I want to watch play, but I do the same for the men. Certainly with the way the ATP is today, there are not a lot of men that are that exciting to watch either, at least that is my opinion.

Sephiroth_FFVII
05-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Who are you guys kidding?

Would you rather watch any 2 of the men's top 10 players duke it out or would you prefer women's players?

There's your answer...

BreakPoint
05-03-2011, 08:44 PM
The men players could practice with the women players????
What would be the point? Only the women would benefit.

Devilito
05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
I agree that the WTA is not in the best state currently, but I still enjoy the mixed tournaments and watching both the women and the men play. I just choose the women I want to watch play, but I do the same for the men. Certainly with the way the ATP is today, there are not a lot of men that are that exciting to watch either, at least that is my opinion.

I disagree somewhat. I find early round ATP matches the most exciting. You get to see exciting players like Raonic, Wawrinka, Dolgopolov, Youzhny, Nishikori, Harisson etc. Guys that may only make it a few rounds in. Itís the semis and finals that get boring. Oh great, another Nadal / Ferrer / Djokovic and MAYBE Federer if youíre lucky. With the WTA there is like ZERO early round matches worth watching (obvious few exceptions aside)

RalphDUD
05-03-2011, 08:57 PM
What would be the point? Only the women would benefit.

It would actually be detrimental for the women. They will never see that speed, spin, and projection of the ball from any woman. They will need to adjust how they hit which then will throw off their game.

Mike Agassi:
I was talking with Serena's father and I said: "the reason your daughters are losing is because they are practicing with men." With the men, they hit the big shot that would be the winner against the women, but the men return it. You hit the big serve and the man returns, hit bigger and the men still returns it. You try to hit bigger and bigger until the ball goes out. Then you lose your serve and you lose your confidence. You hit crosscourt big ball and the man is going to return it, you hit another big ball and the man returns it again and the third ball you try to hit even bigger and it goes out. Why? Because you are muscling it. That's the way your game goes down. Their game has gone down. They hit, once in a while, great balls, but their game has gone down a bit. The Russian girls compete against each other and you see Russian girls win three of the four Grand Slams this year. They are absolutely not half of the talent of Serena Williams and Venus Williams. Serena Williams and Venus Williams don't have their confidence on their shots anymore.

Mike Agassi:
Stop practicing with the men. Serena and Venus, stop practicing with the men. Most of our American girls think if they practice with the men, he's a better player, then I'll get better. In some ways, yes, you get better playing with the better player. But you have to hit the ball ó not just the big ball, but other shots (angles) ó to see if the women can return it or not. I would like to see them play one women, Serena or Venus, against too good players on the other side in practice. Practice against two of them and if you can make the point against two good women then you can make the point against any of these girls in the world. I have told Andre and Brad Gilbert a hundred times: play one against two to improve your volley, but no, Brad Gilbert goes there and hits against Andre. I said: "Brad, if you were good enough to play against Andre, you would go on the tour and make more money." He always had answers. He hit one ball, he talks 10 minutes. He hit one ball, he talks 10 minutes. Then in two hours, Andre has only hit 30 balls. ....

source: TennisWeek

janie5jones
05-03-2011, 09:12 PM

Ouch, but there is a ring of truth to it:|.

As offensive as Gasquet's comment may seem (and really, it's not that offensive), he makes a reasonable point. I don't know how large a venue the Madrid tournament is, but if there is trouble signing up for practice sessions due to limited space, then that really does raise the question of how logical it is to mix the WTA and ATP events.

As for the WTA, the absence of the Williams sisters, Kim Clijsters, and a less than 100% Maria Sharapova have definitely taken away from these tournaments. Maybe this has to do with the fact that I cannot stand Caroline Wozniacki (more to do with her personality than anything else, although her tennis game is not my cup of tea).

miniRafa386
05-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Let's put it this way- what is more popular in today's society in terms of televising or simpling attending sporting events- the Men's Final Four or the Women's Final Four? Baseball or softball? PGA or LPGA? NBA or WNBA? NFL or NCAA football or...?

For myself, I know a significant amount more of male athletes than female athletes, given I am a male. But I am willing to bet that women, athletes or not, know more male athletes than female athletes for the most part (at least 95% of the female population).

Maybe this will help my argument: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:h96b7pe2xlgJ:financialedge.investop edia.com/financial-edge/0410/Top-WNBA-Salaries.aspx+wnba+average+salary&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Spin Doctor
05-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Its hard to dispute what he is saying. Lack of court availability has to be frustrating for the players especially when they know the reason for it is because they are propping up a much weaker tour. Throw in the equal (and sometimes higher!) prize money and it must be infuriating.

Interesting comments from Mike Agassi telling women not to hit with men??? Never thought of it that way.

Mick
05-03-2011, 09:29 PM
and the men are telling the wta players don't listen to mike agassi -- they don't want to be out of a job :)

cc0509
05-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Who are you guys kidding?

Would you rather watch any 2 of the men's top 10 players duke it out or would you prefer women's players?

There's your answer...

For me, it seriously depends on who the players are. I have my favorites in the WTA and the ATP. I would rather watch a Wozniacki/Sharapova match over an Almagro/Monfils one that is for sure.

35ft6
05-03-2011, 09:53 PM
The women really are lucky that there are mixed events. If the Slams were held at different times, their prize money would drop sharply. They would quickly realize there is not nearly as much interest in the women as the men.

aimr75
05-03-2011, 10:06 PM

I experienced this.. i wanted to watch the wawrinka/dimitrov match at the AO, but had to sit through a Bartoli/whoever slugfest.. she was up and looked like she was going to win handily, then got injured.. the other girl then came back.. double whammy.. injury time out and the sit through a match that should have finished a long time ago

aimr75
05-03-2011, 10:08 PM
For me, it seriously depends on who the players are. I have my favorites in the WTA and the ATP. I would rather watch a Wozniacki/Sharapova match over an Almagro/Monfils one that is for sure.

If only for the eye candy you prefer to watch Wozniacki/Sharapova, then thats fair enough, mute the TV and enjoy, but otherwise, forget it

Nadalfan89
05-04-2011, 04:29 AM
They can play at the same tournaments all they want, but paying them the same as the men is basically stealing. They bring in 1/10th (if that) of the revenue.

mellowyellow
05-04-2011, 05:37 AM
What Mike Agassi said is bs, most pro women and men don't play bigger ball every time it comes back and that applies to Serena and Venus. They are ball bashers like Davenport, Pierce, Seles, Capriati etc..... you live by the sword you die by the sword. Its just a high risk style and the problem is when you get older, have long breaks between matches, come off of injuries you are not going to be as dominate. Lack of match play = lack of confidence and consistency.

sdont
05-04-2011, 05:45 AM
The link is in French and I translated the whole thing, it was short.

You are not the only French-speaking poster around here. And many people are able to use google translation, for what it's worth. You can still provide a link.

ibbi
05-04-2011, 06:14 AM
I can understand the players not liking it, that it is too crowded, that there is nowhere to practice, but from a spectators point of view I can't imagine how it is anything other than wonderful. To have the chance to go see either the men or the women.

Though on the other hand, if people are given that choice, they may, as he is saying, always choose the men. It might serve the WTA better to hold the event at a different time. Probably an issue of cost too though, right? Must cost a lot less to only have to open the place up for the one week rather than the two.

RalphDUD
05-04-2011, 06:30 AM
What Mike Agassi said is bs, most pro women and men don't play bigger ball every time it comes back and that applies to Serena and Venus. They are ball bashers like Davenport, Pierce, Seles, Capriati etc..... you live by the sword you die by the sword. Its just a high risk style and the problem is when you get older, have long breaks between matches, come off of injuries you are not going to be as dominate. Lack of match play = lack of confidence and consistency.

It appears that you did not read the quote. The point of it was that men come hit the balls with all sorts of angles women cannot. The woman player will hit a sure winner in the women's game that the men will easily get to and return. In order to compensate for this, each time the woman player will try to hit harder and harder to try to beat the man. But, this is all pointless, since in the women's game they will never see these angles and pace. It is like practicing basketball with a 15 kilo basketball. How will that help you hit a three-pointer?

cknobman
05-04-2011, 06:39 AM
I am a perv I'll admit it.

Only reason I ever watch a WTA match is there is someone on court that I am attracted to. Even then I will only watch for so long considering they are wearing something I find "attractive" or "revealing". :)

As for watching to appreciate the "tennis" and gameplay, that is what the ATP is for (excluding a few certain players).

jackson vile
05-04-2011, 07:16 AM
I hate having the mens matches not shown because they are showing womens.

Keep them separate so that the no one missing out on the best WTA matches nore ATP matches.

You don't see WNBA playing during NBA.

mellowyellow
05-04-2011, 10:03 AM
The other side to it that Mike fails to see is that Richard W. would never allow other girls to practice with his girls because they would pick up on weaknesses, why they didn't play juniors tourneys, why they don't play Fed Cup. I highly doubt that these guys in these paid hit sessions are trying to give the sisters something they are not going to see against women, but likely they get higher quality tennis with more power for a longer period of hit time.

mellowyellow
05-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I hate having the mens matches not shown because they are showing womens.

Keep them separate so that the no one missing out on the best WTA matches nore ATP matches.

You don't see WNBA playing during NBA.

I agree, I will go one step further, if a star is battering some unknown badly, go to a different match that is close, especially if it involves 1 or 2 players inside the top 32.

10smonkey
05-04-2011, 10:30 AM

Al the guy is saying is it is harder to get a practice court!!!!

dominikk1985
05-04-2011, 10:30 AM
It would actually be detrimental for the women. They will never see that speed, spin, and projection of the ball from any woman. They will need to adjust how they hit which then will throw off their game.

Mike Agassi:

Mike Agassi:

source: TennisWeek

Was that interview from the time before they won a combined 20 slams?

If he is talking about now he is an idiot. they don't win anymore because they are 30 and their bodies are done from countless injuries. women peak earlier then men. most WTA pros are done in with 28.

women must train with men, because the women past ranked 200 in the world are total crap. if girls like serena, justine or kim would train with those girls that would be no training at all for them. every top 50 women trains with men today.

RalphDUD
05-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Was that interview from the time before they won a combined 20 slams?

If he is talking about now he is an idiot. they don't win anymore because they are 30 and their bodies are done from countless injuries. women peak earlier then men. most WTA pros are done in with 28.

women must train with men, because the women past ranked 200 in the world are total crap. if girls like serena, justine or kim would train with those girls that would be no training at all for them. every top 50 women trains with men today.

I believe this was from 2004.

Laurie
05-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Interesting point because Larry Scott (previous WTA Chief Exec) worked so hard to get equal prize money for women and more prize money than ever before.

However, that has coincided with the lowest standard of womens Tennis since I've been watching Tennis. Plus many of the top players are often demotivated and retire early or play a part time schedule - just observe Clijster's attitude during Indian Wells this year.

And you have the other issue of virtually all women players playing the same way, individuality has virtually gone since the likes of Henin and Mauresmo retired. Schiavone came into her own the last two years but she doesn't have long left at the top.

And to cap it all off, the disparity between prize money and actually how many people often turn up to watch women Tennis tournaments is incredible.

As far as I can see, the explosion in prize money has almost been a disincentive because players with natural talent like Svetlana Kuznetsova have not maximised their potential as they have an extremely comfortable lifestyle. Jankovic should also be doing better at this stage of her career. Then there's the riddle of Ana Ivanovic.

Ironically this has not been an issue at all in the mens game - pride and a desire to win every time ensures the mens game at the top is going well.

So yes, I think Indian Wells and Miami works well but they should leave it at that.

By the way, the Foro Italico usually has the womens event and then the mens, is that the case this year? Not much time and Roland Garros starts in three weeks.

li0scc0
05-04-2011, 01:17 PM
As far as I can see, the explosion in prize money has almost been a disincentive because players with natural talent like Svetlana Kuznetsova have not maximised their potential as they have an extremely comfortable lifestyle. Jankovic should also be doing better at this stage of her career. Then there's the riddle of Ana Ivanovic.

Ironically this has not been an issue at all in the mens game - pride and a desire to win every time ensures the mens game at the top is going well.

So Gasquet, Monfils, Gulbis, etc. all have lived up to their potential?

Laurie
05-04-2011, 01:34 PM

Probably not, but their backsides have been covered by Nadal, Federer and Djokovic who clearly have a great will to win every time they play. Juan Martin Del Potro also has that state of mind. They are the face of the ATP, the players the general public associate with.

In the womens game this is not the case at the moment.

NadalAgassi
05-04-2011, 01:38 PM
The potential of Gasquet and Monfils is overrated in the first place. Both have done as well as I always expected they would. The only big underachiever of those players is Gulbis.

Lemoned
05-04-2011, 01:42 PM
By the way, the Foro Italico usually has the womens event and then the mens, is that the case this year? Not much time and Roland Garros starts in three weeks.
Rome is now a combined tournament. So is Cincinnati.
WTA-Toronto/ ATP-Montreal will be held in the same week, too.

Heracles
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
So Monte Carlo, Shangai and Bercy are the only one not contaminated?

Laurie
05-04-2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks

I thought that had to be the case.

tenis1
05-04-2011, 02:31 PM

Didn't know this. So IW, Miami, Madrid, Rome, Cincinnati will all be mixed events. With both Canadian events played at the same time.

That is very nice news indeed. I really like this change.

cc0509
05-04-2011, 04:34 PM
They can play at the same tournaments all they want, but paying them the same as the men is basically stealing. They bring in 1/10th (if that) of the revenue.

So let me get this straight, if you were a woman and a pro tennis player, and you won a tournament, does that mean that you would refuse the prize money because you would not want to be stealing? :twisted:

cc0509
05-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Laurie

LOL! Not to mention Wawrinka, Almagro, Fish, Troicki, Verdasco, Querrey, etc. etc. The list goes on and on. I agree that a lot of women in the WTA have not lived up to their potential but the SAME can be said of most of the ATP, I am sorry. Most of these guys just go from tournament to tournament and are happy to get a paycheck. They aren't going all out for the big wins, not even close! Most are big underachievers.

Sid_Vicious
05-04-2011, 04:43 PM
So let me get this straight, if you were a woman and a pro tennis player, and you won a tournament, does that mean that you would refuse the prize money because you would not want to be stealing? :twisted:
Typical Nadalfan89 posts. Later on he will probably be bragging about how he seduced Goerges with his "Vamos Rafa" shirt.

cc0509
05-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Typical Nadalfan89 posts. Later on he will probably be bragging about how he seduced Goerges with his "Vamos Rafa" shirt.

Yes, in an elevator.:confused::) Didn't all of his seduction stories take place in an elevator?

Laurie
05-05-2011, 12:35 AM
LOL! Not to mention Wawrinka, Almagro, Fish, Troicki, Verdasco, Querrey, etc. etc. The list goes on and on. I agree that a lot of women in the WTA have not lived up to their potential but the SAME can be said of most of the ATP, I am sorry. Most of these guys just go from tournament to tournament and are happy to get a paycheck. They aren't going all out for the big wins, not even close! Most are big underachievers.

To be fair I agree with both of you guys. But that's why I said, at the very top of the game. We are tennis watchers so we know the fringe players but the general public will only ever know the guys at the very top. So its always important that the guys at the top show a good face for the game - that certainly is the case. And at the moment that's the difference between the mens and womens game. A lot of the general public don't actually know the top 5 in the womens game right now.

dominikk1985
05-05-2011, 02:20 AM
are the TV ratings of men really that much higher?

In germany only eurosport is showing tennis (very few expeptions) and they nearly only show the WTA tour.

I don't think the ATP is that much more popular.

niff
05-05-2011, 02:48 AM
are the TV ratings of men really that much higher?

In germany only eurosport is showing tennis (very few expeptions) and they nearly only show the WTA tour.

I don't think the ATP is that much more popular.

Eurosport can't afford to buy out Sky Sports for ATP match rights.

jwbarrientos
05-05-2011, 03:06 AM
Nice excuse.

The PROBLEM was those babies working as babes-ball that confuse Gasquet, you know he has a past with girls kissing him :roll:

dominikk1985
05-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Eurosport can't afford to buy out Sky Sports for ATP match rights.

yeah but there are a lot of channels who could easily buy out sky sports here (RTL, ***, ZDF) and still they don't because no one cares for tennis anymore here after boris and steffi retired (back then anyone was watching tennis).

also no one here buys sky sports for tennis. 90% buy it for soccer.

If anyone cared for mens tennis here it would be shown in television.

niff
05-05-2011, 03:51 AM
also no one here buys sky sports for tennis. 90% buy it for soccer.
Like the rest of the world, then.