PDA

View Full Version : novak will win Madrid

dominikk1985
05-05-2011, 02:35 PM
I say novak will win madrid and beat nadal on the way.

I know nadal is the clay goat and clay usually is not novaks best surface but I think the time for novak has come. I think he is ready to beat nadal on clay.

novak look nearly invincible today. nadal has dominated so far but he has yet to face still unbeaten novak djokovic. I don't think nadl can deal with novak in uber form even on clay.

Mainad
05-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I think its definitely shaping up to be another Nadal-Djoko final! (unless wonder-boy Bellucci feels like spoiling the party).

I'll bet Rafa's a wee bit nervous at the prospect of having to face Novak yet again in a Masters final.He just CAN'T afford to lose another one to him.Two on the trot was bad enough and clay is his own domain! For Novak,beating Rafa on clay would be the most important next step in his campaign to take the no.1 spot.If he achieves this as well,the FO will be well within his sights!

So much is riding on this for the two best players in the world!!

CCNM
05-05-2011, 02:47 PM
I wish somebody would challenge Rafa, getting tired of him winning all the time....

Heracles
05-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Nadal should have won Miami.

Djokovic has been average on clay this season, only playing against very inferior opponents and not being tested at all.

Nadal is simply a better clay court player. Djokovic hype is way too big . Sure he is undefeated but Nadal was very close to him in both IW and Miami and had more a serve breackdown than anything else.

If Nadal was that close on HC he will win on clay, as simple as that.

tenis1
05-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Nadal should have won Miami.

Djokovic has been average on clay this season, only playing against very inferior opponents and not being tested at all.

Nadal is simply a better clay court player. Djokovic hype is way too big . Sure he is undefeated but Nadal was very close to him in both IW and Miami and had more a serve breackdown than anything else.

If Nadal was that close on HC he will win on clay, as simple as that.

Let me put it this way.
Djokovic was one point away (3 times) from beating Nadal in Madrid 2 years ago.
He is better player now, better serve, much more confident.
If he was this close two years ago on this clay, he can win now, as simple as that.

nadalbestclass
05-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Bring it!! :twisted:

Mustard
05-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Even if Djokovic does beat Nadal in Madrid, the French Open is the one that matters. In best of 5 sets, Nadal is even more formidable.

YodaKnowsBest
05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af292/Zlaja1991/familynole.jpg

Heracles
05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Let me put it this way.
If he was this close two years ago on this clay, he can win now, as simple as that.

Nadal was awful in 2009. He even lost to Federer at that same tournament.

Nadal is way better than Djokovic on clay and Djokovic only surviving by some miracle to Nadal on HC is not a big threat on clay.

Arailic
05-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Nole is great, and I am a true fan, but there is a long way to go before a final!!!!!!! He still has to go through Ferrer and than possibly Berdich prior to even getting to somebody on the other side of the draw, Fedal!!!!!! He is playing some great tennis but has yet to be really tested on clay. I really hope he meets and exceeds everyone's expectations including mine!!!!!!! Let's just take it one match at a time exactly the way Nole is taking it. Let's just not get ahead of ourselves and let's hope his winning streak goes beyond tomorrow.

viduka0101
05-05-2011, 03:31 PM

is the circus back in town?(in madrid that is)

TennisFan3
05-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Let me put it this way.

LOL! If Djokovic has improved since 2009, is Nadal stationary and just sitting there twiddling his thumbs?

Fact is Nadal has improved tremendously too. Clay 2009 was his worst year; he was injured and in a funk mentally. Djokovic came close, Fed beat him in straights. And then Sod took him out in RG. Any top player could have beaten the clay 2009 Nadal. The fact the Djoker got close in Madrid 2009 means NOTHING now.

Did Djokovic even face Nadal in 2010, when the Spaniard bought his aggressive hard court game to clay?

The very fact that Nadal got sooo close to Djokovic on hards means that Djokovic has really no chance on clay.

I hope you're around on the Sundays of Madrid, Rome and Paris - if Djokovic- Nadal meet..:twisted:

Jeepers
05-05-2011, 03:34 PM

I feel a bit sick :/

nadalbestclass
05-05-2011, 03:35 PM

LMAOOOO! Rafa's Family should totally do that. Dad, Mom, Sis, Gf haha

YodaKnowsBest
05-05-2011, 03:39 PM

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af292/Zlaja1991/federesss.jpg

viduka0101
05-05-2011, 03:41 PM

better not,next step after that is getting told by Federer to shut up and behave

nobody want's that

nadalbestclass
05-05-2011, 03:44 PM
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af292/Zlaja1991/federesss.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5912/08uybgi8wr8ua.jpg

Mick
05-05-2011, 03:45 PM
djokovic's next opponent is ferrer and ferrer has never lost to djokovic on clay before :shock:

nadalbestclass
05-05-2011, 03:46 PM
djokovic's next opponent is ferrer and ferrer has never lost to djokovic on clay before :shock:

And Rafa had never lost to Novak in a final. First time for everything!

Mick
05-05-2011, 03:48 PM
And Rafa had never lost to Novak in a final. First time for everything!

looks like to win madrid, novak would have to create history in a number of fronts (e.g. beating ferrer on clay, breaking lendl's winning streak, etc...) :)

TennisFan3
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM

The current Djokovic will obliterate the overachiever Ferrer, who got into the ATP clay finals, only because the top guys were MIA or in a funk.

Let's face it, guys like Ferrer, always lose to the likes of Fed, Nadal, Djoker, Delpo, Murray etc..

NadalAgassi
05-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I have not been impressed that much with Novak on clay this year, nowhere near as much as the hard court events. He will definitely not win Madrid. His best chance is Rome if Nadal is fatigued.

Heracles
05-05-2011, 04:10 PM
The current Djokovic will obliterate the overachiever Ferrer, who got into the ATP clay finals, only because the top guys were MIA or in a funk.

Let's face it, guys like Ferrer, always lose to the likes of Fed, Nadal, Djoker, Delpo, Murray etc..

Ferrer is 3-4 against Djokovic (3-0 on clay), 3-3 against Murray (3-0 on clay) and 2-2 against Del Potro. But he has never beaten Federer that's right.

NadalAgassi
05-05-2011, 04:11 PM

I agree. Djokovic will beat Ferrer. Ferrer isnt competitive with any of the top guys, except Nadal in his pre prime years on hard courts only.

NadalAgassi
05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Ferrer is 3-4 against Djokovic (3-0 on clay), 3-3 against Murray (3-0 on clay) and 2-2 against Del Potro. But he has never beaten Federer that's right.

Murray sucks on clay so no surprise Ferrer beats him there. Ferrer is good enough on hard courts and clay to do well against most of the top guys if it is their worst surface- Murray on clay, Nadal on hard courts. Except for Federer who he is useless against everywhere. Djokovic's worst surface is grass, but of course Ferrer would still lose to him there, in the past you are right Ferrer has made inroads on clay but I doubt it continuing. We will see though.

Heracles
05-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Ferrer best surface is clay. It's just in RG that he is failing for whatever reason.

NadalAgassi
05-05-2011, 04:16 PM
I think Ferrer is pretty equal on all of hard courts, clay, even indoors. His only weak surface is grass, he doesnt have one clear best surface. How well he does against top players depends alot on where they are worse, he isnt good enough to beat any of them on their best surface. It is surprising he does that well against Djokovic on clay considering that isnt a bad surface for Djokovic. I dont remember when all the matches were though.

Mustard
05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Ferrer best surface is clay. It's just in RG that he is failing for whatever reason.

I think the best of 5 sets format is a factor in that. Ferrer has to work very hard in his matches because he doesn't really have a big weapon in his game.

I think Ferrer is pretty equal on all of hard courts, clay, even indoors. His only weak surface is grass, he doesnt have one clear best surface. How well he does against top players depends alot on where they are worse, he isnt good enough to beat any of them on their best surface. It is surprising he does that well against Djokovic on clay considering that isnt a bad surface for Djokovic. I dont remember when all the matches were though.

Ferrer has won a tournament on grass, 2008 's-Hertogenbosch.

dominikk1985
05-05-2011, 04:33 PM

take muurya of that list. he is very talented and I believe he can win a slam, but unlike nadal/federer/djokovic who never loose against guys ranked lower than 50 the pale brit can also loose against anyone. definitely not as consistent as the top3.

Mustard
05-05-2011, 04:33 PM

Here's their head-to-head record:

Novak Djokovic 5-4 David Ferrer
2004 Bucharest R16: David Ferrer def. Novak Djokovic (4-6, 6-4, 6-4)
2007 Indian Wells QF: Novak Djokovic def. David Ferrer (6-3, 6-4)
2007 Monte Carlo R16: David Ferrer def. Novak Djokovic (7-5, 6-4)
2007 US Open SF: Novak Djokovic def. David Ferrer (6-4, 6-4, 6-3)
2007 Masters Cup RR: David Ferrer def. Novak Djokovic (6-4, 6-4)
2008 Australian Open QF: Novak Djokovic def. David Ferrer (6-0, 6-3, 7-5)
2009 Dubai F: Novak Djokovic def. David Ferrer (7-5, 6-3)
2009 Davis Cup 1R: David Ferrer def. Novak Djokovic (6-3, 6-3, 7-6)
2010 Beijing F: Novak Djokovic def. David Ferrer (6-2, 6-4)

Hardcourt: 5-1 to Djokovic
Clay: 3-0 to Ferrer
Grass: 0-0
Carpet: 0-0
In Slams: 2-0 to Djokovic

big bang
05-05-2011, 05:06 PM
thanks for always posting records Mustard!

Mustard
05-05-2011, 05:13 PM
thanks for always posting records Mustard!

No probs :)

Nadalfan89
05-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Both finals went to 3 sets and one of them went to a tie break in the third. Don't pretend like Novak gave Nadal a beat down. Now reverse the roles and put Nadal on his favourite surface...

Nadal wins.

Cassius Clay
05-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Let me put it this way.

Let me put it this way:

Nadal was playing injured in Madrid 2 years ago.

TMF
05-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Nadal fans should stop whining about nadal losing in 2009 and blaming on injury. He was a beast that year but Fed and Soderling were just better than him that day. Period !

Cassius Clay
05-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Nadal fans should stop whining about nadal losing in 2009 and blaming on injury. He was a beast that year but Fed and Soderling were just better than him that day. Period !

Yeah, sure, after a 4-hour match he was a beast the day after...

Cool story bro.

It was obvious he was injured. When he managed to be healthy, he swept the whole clay season last year.

TMF
05-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Yeah, sure, after a 4-hour match he was a beast the day after...

Cool story bro.

It was obvious he was injured. When he managed to be healthy, he swept the whole clay season last year.

The 4 hrs match between Rafa and Nole in Madrid semifinal was misleading. B/c both players were notoriously wasting time between points. Most of the time was mainly DEAD time. Apparently you have never seen that match.

He was playing in god mode in his first 3 matches at the FO. Most fans(maybe in you) already handed the trophy, thatís how dominant he was.

tenis1
05-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Let me put it this way:

Nadal was playing injured in Madrid 2 years ago.

Nope. He was not injured in that match. He just won MC, Barcelona and Rome, also AO and IW earlier that year. He was in form.

He lost to Federer in the final because of exhaustion, after playing 4 hours grueling match previous day (the one vs Djokovic we are talking about), but he was not injured.

SystemicAnomaly
05-05-2011, 07:08 PM

Mustard
05-05-2011, 07:33 PM
1. Nadal's knee trouble at that time started at the 2008 Paris Indoor tournament, when Nadal retired against Davydenko after being breadsticked in the first set. Nadal was forced to miss Spain's Davis Cup final against Argentina as a result.

2. Nadal comes back at the start of 2009, getting to the quarter finals of Doha and winning the Australian Open for his 6th major. Nadal then plays Rotterdam and has a series of tough 3-set matches. During the Rotterdam final against Murray, Nadal gets a bad knee injury during the second set. Nadal still manages to win that second set but gets bagelled in the third set.

3. Nadal returns less than 4 weeks later for Spain's home Davis Cup tie against Serbia on clay. Nadal straight sets both Tipsarevic and Djokovic. Nadal then plays and wins Indian Wells. Nadal confirmed later in 2009 that he had began to feel pain in his knees at Indian Wells, and that the pain gradually increased over the weeks and months afterwards. Nadal didn't play well in Miami, despite getting to the quarter finals and blowing a double break final set lead against del Potro.

4. Nadal plays well in Monte Carlo, but is challenged by Murray in the semi finals and is pushed extremely hard by Djokovic in the final. Nadal wins both Barcelona and Rome without dropping a set, although the matches are tougher than the scorelines suggest, especially the Rome final against Djokovic. It is in Madrid that we see the first signs of trouble. In Nadal's quarter final against Verdasco, his mobility is poor, considerably below his usual standard. Nadal has to come back from 0-4 down in the second set to win it 7-5. Then there's that 4 hour, 3 minute match against Djokovic in the semi finals, which is brutal to watch. Neither player seems the same again for the rest of the year. Federer comfortably wins the final 6-4, 6-4 against Nadal.

5. Just before the French Open started, Nadal loses a 1-set exhibition match at Roland Garros to the then world number 109, Brian Dabul. Dabul won 7-5. Nadal is very sluggish in his first round match against Marcos Daniel, struggling to win all 3 sets but gets the job done. In his second round match against Teymuraz Gabashvili, there is an improvement but still WAY below the sort of standard we had seen during his amazing 2008 French Open. Nadal suddenly looks back to his old self in his third round match against Lleyton Hewitt and wins comfortably in straight sets. Then comes the match against Robin Soderling, where one of the biggest upsets in tennis history occurs. Soderling, in his first fourth round match at a slam, beats the king of clay in 4 sets, handing Nadal his only French Open loss to date.

6. Nadal goes back to Majorca and withdraws from Queen's Club. Nadal practices on grass the week before Wimbledon and loses exhibitions against both Hewitt and Wawrinka at the Hurlington Club. Nadal then withdraws from Wimbledon and Spain's next Davis Cup tie and he doesn't return until Montreal.

All of these points does not change the fact that Nadal was beaten at the 2009 French Open. Tennis is all about who can win that particular match at that particular time, and Soderling was better than Nadal on the day of the 31st May 2009. To say that Nadal wasn't injured, however, is just ludicrous in the extreme. Nadal pulled out of his Queen's Club and Wimbledon defences, for goodness sakes! Are we supposed to believe that Nadal skipped the grass-court season because he was in a sulk over losing the French Open title?

Mustard
05-05-2011, 07:44 PM
He was playing in god mode in his first 3 matches at the FO. Most fans(maybe in you) already handed the trophy, thatís how dominant he was.

You clearly didn't watch those matches, because Nadal was only in "God" mode against Hewitt in the third round. He was not at 2008 level, that was obvious.

TheTruth
05-05-2011, 07:50 PM
1. Nadal's knee trouble at that time started at the 2008 Paris Indoor tournament, when Nadal retired against Davydenko after being breadsticked in the first set. Nadal was forced to miss Spain's Davis Cup final against Argentina as a result.

2. Nadal comes back at the start of 2009, getting to the quarter finals of Doha and winning the Australian Open for his 6th major. Nadal then plays Rotterdam and has a series of tough 3-set matches. During the Rotterdam final against Murray, Nadal gets a bad knee injury during the second set. Nadal still managed to win that second set but got bagelled in the third set.

3. Nadal returns less than 4 weeks later for Spain's home Davis Cup tie against Serbia on clay. Nadal straight sets both Tipsarevic and Djokovic. Nadal then plays and wins Indian Wells. Nadal confirmed later in 2009 that he had began to feel pain in his knees at Indian Wells, and that the pain gradually increased over the weeks and months afterwards. Nadal didn't play well in Miami, despite getting to the quarter finals and blowing a double break final set lead against del Potro.

4. Nadal plays well in Monte Carlo, but is challenged by Murray in the semi finals and is pushed extremely hard by Djokovic in the final. Nadal wins both Barcelona and Rome without dropping a set, although the matches are tougher than the scorelines suggest, especially the Rome final against Djokovic. It is in Madrid that we see the first signs of trouble. In Nadal's quarter final against Verdasco, his mobility is poor, considerably below his usual standard. Nadal has to come back from 0-4 down in the second set to win it 7-5. Then came that 4 hour, 3 minute match against Djokovic in the semi finals, which is brutal to watch. Neither player seems the same again for the rest of the year. Federer comfortably wins the final 6-4, 6-4 against Nadal.

5. Just before the French Open started, Nadal lost a 1-set exhibition match at Roland Garros to the then world number 109, Brian Dabul. Dabul won 7-5. Nadal is very sluggish in his first round match against Marcos Daniel, struggling to win all 3 sets but gets the job done. In his second round match against Teymuraz Gabashvili, there is an improvement but still WAY below the sort of standard we had seen during his amazing 2008 French Open. Nadal suddenly looks back to his old self in his third round match against Lleyton Hewitt and wins comfortably in straight sets. Then comes the match against Robin Soderling, where one of the biggest upsets in tennis history occurs. Soderling, in his first fourth round match at a slam, beats the king of clay in 4 sets, handing Nadal his only French Open loss to date.

6. Nadal goes back to Majorca and withdraws from Queen's Club. Nadal practices on grass the week before Wimbledon and loses exhibitions against both Hewitt and Wawrinka at the Hurlington Club. Nadal then withdraws from Wimbledon and Spain's next Davis Cup tie and he doesn't return until Montreal.

Awesome post. A great blow-by-blow account.

TMF
05-06-2011, 10:53 AM
You clearly didn't watch those matches, because Nadal was only in "God" mode against Hewitt in the third round. He was not at 2008 level, that was obvious.

Try to be reasonable, ok?

Does he has to be in the same level as in 2008, and if not he has a legitimate excuse for his loss? Come on!...no one said he was better than in 2008 but the fact remain is he was in his prime. He had already won W and AO, thereís no reason to question his ability. Remember, he lost to Fed in 2007 Hamburg(got bagel!), but he end up winning the FO that year. Also, 2009 he was a better player than in 2005 when he was a 1D player, but still won the FO that year. And donít get started with ďyou didnít watch the matchĒ. 2009 FO the clay surface just happened to be playing really fast. The big hitters with big serve excel, not just Robin himself. With Robin playing great combined with a faster surface, it was good enough for Nadal getting upset. As you know, winning streak has to end someday. Did Fed fans ever said Nadalís win over Fed in 2006 Dubai was a fluke when he ended Rogerís hc winning streak? No. It had to end somehow. I bet you had Nadal won the FO in 2009 there wouldnít be any talk about injury. He was on course in winning the FO and everyone bank on it, only the minute when he lost to Robin was the beginning of INJURY story that flooded the internet faster than the death of Obama Bin Laden !

I get so tired of the people calling Robinís win was a fluke. Just like the same idiot(Thundervolley) keep repeating Sharapova humbling Serena was also a fluke.

Mustard
05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I never said Soderling's win was a "fluke". I've said before that tennis is all about beating your opponent during that particular match, whatever shape both players are in. Soderling was better than Nadal during the match and he won. End of story.

A question for you, TMF. Are you suggesting that Nadal was not injured around that time? If so, why did he skip the grass-court season? Some sort of prolonged sulk, or what?

TMF
05-06-2011, 11:46 AM
I never said Soderling's win was a "fluke". I've said before that tennis is all about beating your opponent during that particular match, whatever shape both players are in. Soderling was better than Nadal during the match and he won. End of story.

A question for you, TMF. Are you suggesting that Nadal was not injured around that time? If so, why did he skip the grass-court season? Some sort of prolonged sulk, or what?

For sure that Nadal was really down after the early exit b/c not only losing FO, but set the record for 5 straight FO. You know that Nadal hate to lose and he has a lot pride and standard. He lost his confident besides still trying to recover the loss. Also, had he was able to beat Wawrinka and Hewitt on grass before SW19, who knows if he might decide to play. I think his lack of confident hurts him further into the year....some say it stretch even up to early 2010.

ibbi
05-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Let me put it this way.
This is truly brilliant reasoning. Truly brilliant.

What do you say when somebody counters with the fact that Nadal is also a better player now than he was 2 years ago?

tenis1
05-06-2011, 11:52 AM
This is truly brilliant reasoning. Truly brilliant.

What do you say when somebody counters with the fact that Nadal is also a better player now than he was 2 years ago?

It is as brilliant as saying that Novak has no chance in Madrid because he beat Nadal in IW and Miami in close matches.
My post was made to make that point.

Brilliant fail in comprehension from you though. Truly briliant.

ibbi
05-06-2011, 12:16 PM
So someone said something stupid, so you said something even more stupid back?

I don't think I failed to comprehend what you said, I think it was pretty clear. You said Djokovic can win because he's a better player than he used to be. You totally ignored any improvements to Nadal's own game.

That makes infinitely less sense as a rational argument than people saying that Djokovic was pushed twice to 3 sets by Nadal on his favourite surface, and Nadal's least favourite just a few weeks ago, so his chances of beating the world number 1 on his favourite surface are not so great.

Cassius Clay
05-06-2011, 05:39 PM
For sure that Nadal was really down after the early exit b/c not only losing FO, but set the record for 5 straight FO. You know that Nadal hate to lose and he has a lot pride and standard. He lost his confident besides still trying to recover the loss. Also, had he was able to beat Wawrinka and Hewitt on grass before SW19, who knows if he might decide to play. I think his lack of confident hurts him further into the year....some say it stretch even up to early 2010.

I don't think you even believe what you are saying. It was obvious he was injured.

tenis1
05-08-2011, 12:44 PM
So someone said something stupid, so you said something even more stupid back?

I don't think I failed to comprehend what you said, I think it was pretty clear. You said Djokovic can win because he's a better player than he used to be. You totally ignored any improvements to Nadal's own game.

That makes infinitely less sense as a rational argument than people saying that Djokovic was pushed twice to 3 sets by Nadal on his favourite surface, and Nadal's least favourite just a few weeks ago, so his chances of beating the world number 1 on his favourite surface are not so great.

Well whose argument makes more sense and is rational now ;)

tenis1
05-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Good prediction from OP BTW :)

dominikk1985
05-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Good prediction from OP BTW :)

I think we can call novak the king officially now that he even beat rafa on clay.