PDA

View Full Version : Del Potro may not play Roland Garros

Marius_Hancu
05-06-2011, 04:31 AM
This is very serious, thinking long term.

Guga, Agassi, Hewitt got to hip troubles much later in their careers and it was career-ending.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/2011/05/05/delpotro_injury/

Talker
05-06-2011, 04:44 AM
I think this is a temporary problem as it came on suddenly and hasn't been a problem before.
I guess he'll get it checked out, hoping for the best here.

stringertom
05-06-2011, 04:55 AM
This is very serious, long term.

Guga, Agassi, Hewitt got to hip troubles much later in their careers and it was career-ending.

Obviously losing a whole season to an injury has been a wake-up call to his camp to err on the side of caution. Let the medicos figure it out and get 100% before returning. Hip flexor problems resolve themselves with rest and nominal rehab. I doubt he has a trauma-induced injury like Bo Jackson suffered, which could and would sideline even a young player permanently.

dominikk1985
05-06-2011, 05:07 AM
Obviously losing a whole season to an injury has been a wake-up call to his camp to err on the side of caution. Let the medicos figure it out and get 100% before returning. Hip flexor problems resolve themselves with rest and nominal rehab. I doubt he has a trauma-induced injury like Bo Jackson suffered, which could and would sideline even a young player permanently.

yes. hip injuries aren't always the same. If it's only a muscular problem or an inflamed ligament it won't be a big deal if he gets enough rest.

but when the bones or cartilage is gone you are done.

Sentinel
05-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Nadal must be breathing a huge sigh of relief. Another easy win now. ;) :D

Glory Hunters Anonymous
05-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Nadal must be breathing a huge sigh of relief. Another easy win now. ;) :D

Strange insight into the mind of Nadal.

Mustard
05-06-2011, 05:56 AM
I really don't get all this talk of del Potro supposedly being Nadal's Achilles heel. Is it just based on the 2009 US Open semi final, or what?

Marius_Hancu
05-06-2011, 05:59 AM
I really don't get all this talk of del Potro supposedly being Nadal's Achilles heel. Is it just based on the 2009 US Open semi final, or what?

he's 3-5 to Nadal, not bad at all ...

mellowyellow
05-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Matches before the 3-0 run in 09 by Delpo he was not a mature player physically or mentally, this last win by Nadal is coming off of the big layoff from injury, and he probably not match tough by that point, or even now. He has the height and reach to negate Nadals forehand and is dangerous/consistent off both sides. Only real weakness is pronbably movement and thats not a big weakness, try to move him around and you risk setting him up for huge winners on the run.....

egn
05-06-2011, 06:28 AM
ugh I hope he gets well soon..it was nice to finally see another person in the mix...at this rate he just may never get back to the top.

Mustard
05-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Matches before the 3-0 run in 09 by Delpo he was not a mature player physically or mentally, this last win by Nadal is coming off of the big layoff from injury, and he probably not match tough by that point, or even now. He has the height and reach to negate Nadals forehand and is dangerous/consistent off both sides. Only real weakness is pronbably movement and thats not a big weakness, try to move him around and you risk setting him up for huge winners on the run.....

Is this based on the Montreal and US Open matches from 2009, when Nadal was hardly in prime condition himself? Montreal was Nadal's comeback tournament after an injury layoff and the 2009 US Open was del Potro's best tournament ever.

Mainad
05-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Unfortunately,it looks like Delpo's career is always going to be hampered by injury.He's one of the unlucky ones.First wrist and now hip and he's still only 22!

Frustrating for him and his fans because we know he's got the game to threaten everybody else out there.But will he ever be fit enough again to mount a sustained challenge like he did in 2009?

jamesblakefan#1
05-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Is this based on the Montreal and US Open matches from 2009, when Nadal was hardly in prime condition himself? Montreal was Nadal's comeback tournament after an injury layoff and the 2009 US Open was del Potro's best tournament ever.

2009 Miami as well. Delpo has the type of game that causes Nadal trouble, particularly on HC. It remains to be seen if it could translate over to clay. I doubt it since Nadal's so great on clay, but it would have been a good match to see nonetheless.

zak425
05-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Damnit Del Po stay healthy!

MichaelNadal
05-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Del Potro hasn't done anything of serious note since 2009, or beaten a top player in a big event, yet somehow magically if he plays Rafa he's supposed to transform into this Rafa killer or something. Who DIDN'T beat Rafa in 09?

Omega_7000
05-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Who DIDN'T beat Rafa in 09?

Roger Federer.

dominikk1985
05-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Roger Federer.

federer did beat rafa on clay in 09.

zak425
05-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Tennis is all about match-up's del po's game and size are a perfect formula to combat Nadal's style. Does it mean he'll win everytime? No. But the odds are much better when you have a two handed BH and the height to fight off those loopy FH's.

Sentinel
05-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Strange insight into the mind of Nadal.
Maybe i should have put two more smileys to attract your attention! :)

NadalAgassi
05-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Del Potro was still not the same player in early 2009 as he was beginning in the spring. Remember he lost to Federer 6-3, 6-0, 6-0 at the Australian Open. The question is if he will ever be the same player as spring-fall 2009 ever again. I doubt it given his health woes. He looks destined for a short unfulfilling career, but atleast he will always have a U.S Open title.

jjermann
05-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Del Potro was still not the same player in early 2009 as he was beginning in the spring. Remember he lost to Federer 6-3, 6-0, 6-0 at the Australian Open. The question is if he will ever be the same player as spring-fall 2009 ever again. I doubt it given his health woes. He looks destined for a short unfulfilling career, but atleast he will always have a U.S Open title.

He is even better now, playing more aggressive with his forehand, now he really has the game to beat best while in 2009 it was only middle of court ballbashing most of times.

NadalAgassi
05-06-2011, 09:10 AM
He is even better now, playing more aggressive with his forehand, now he really has the game to beat best.

I see no indication of that yet. And even if you are right it wont matter if he cant stay healthy enough to keep playing without these breaks. It seems everytime he takes those breaks he takes a step back and has to build back up again.

jjermann
05-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Del Potro hasn't done anything of serious note since 2009, or beaten a top player in a big event, yet somehow magically if he plays Rafa he's supposed to transform into this Rafa killer or something. Who DIDN'T beat Rafa in 09?

He was finalist in WTF 2009...And why do you think he has not done much since then? i lol'd to you, thx. :lol:

jackson vile
05-06-2011, 09:29 AM
This is very serious, thinking long term.

It is in his best interest to skip everything until the US hard court season where he actually has the potential to rule. He will have a chance to be in full form by then and this is actually what I predicted last year.

jamesblakefan#1
05-06-2011, 09:43 AM

I don't know why Nadal fans are so defensive about this. Del Potro's a tough matchup for Nadal, similar to Davydenko, Blake, Soderling, and to an extent Berdych. I don't agree w/ those that say he's a 'Nadal killer' and could beat Nadal on clay, but in form Delpo has shown he has what it takes to take down the best in the big events, including Nadal. He's shown flashes of that again this year, hopefully he can stay healthy and return to his proper place among the top 10 in the game.

And you're wrong when you say he hasn't beaten a top player, he beat #5 Soderling in IW and Estoril this year.

WinNCash
05-06-2011, 09:46 AM
This is sad and I hope not. del Potro is one of my favorites...

NadalAgassi
05-06-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't know why Nadal fans are so defensive about this. Del Potro's a tough matchup for Nadal, similar to Davydenko, Blake, Soderling, and to an extent Berdych.

Agree with all those except Berdych. Berdych has been Nadal's royal whipping boy ever since 2007, despite that Berdych is in his prime and better than ever now.

Shangri La
05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
I thought he had a long layoff which would have taken care of any lingering even potential injuries? And he hasnt played that much after the comeback.

Mustard
05-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Youzhny is another player who should be put in that group of players who used to trouble Nadal on hardcourts. The point is that del Potro has been elevated above guys like Youzhny, Berdych, Blake and Davydenko, into some sort of Nadal killer. It's odd.

jamesblakefan#1
05-06-2011, 10:04 AM
I thought he had a long layoff which would have taken care of any lingering even potential injuries? And he hasnt played that much after the comeback.

He's tied w/ Ferrer and Almagro for most matches played this season. (33)

jamesblakefan#1
05-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Youzhny is another player who should be put in that group of players who used to trouble Nadal on hardcourts. The point is that del Potro has been elevated above guys like Youzhny, Berdych, Blake and Davydenko, into some sort of Nadal killer. It's odd.

Del Potro has a slam; those guys don't.

Mustard
05-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Del Potro has a slam; those guys don't.

It's not that simple though. Even Djokovic hasn't been as hyped up as such a big Nadal rival until about last month, and he's been a slam winner since the 2008 Australian Open.

jamesblakefan#1
05-06-2011, 10:22 AM
It's not that simple though. Even Djokovic hasn't been as hyped up as such a big Nadal rival until about last month, and he's been a slam winner since the 2008 Australian Open.

I'm not sure what your definition of 'rival' is. Has Delpo been overhyped? To an extent yes, particularly when people say that he would destroy Nadal or take him out on clay.

But he's proven to have the game to beat him on hard courts. So there is at least some substance to the hype, unlike guys like Gulbis who get hyped w/ little to no results to match said hype.

And Delpo has managed to do what Djokovic never has, defeat Nadal at a slam.

Shangri La
05-06-2011, 10:30 AM
He's tied w/ Ferrer and Almagro for most matches played this season. (33)

It's only 1/3 of the season after the long break and I think hip injury is more of a long-term injury.

Mustard
05-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Nadal has played 35 matches this season, with a 31-4 win-loss record. Isn't that the most matches a player has played in so far in 2011?

jamesblakefan#1
05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Nadal has played 35 matches this season, with a 31-4 win-loss record. Isn't that the most matches a player has played in so far in 2011?

I got my numbers from here, so they must have been before Madrid started.

http://www.tennis.com/stats/index.aspx

ibbi
05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I really hope he doesn't end up like Safin. He's so gangly I'm really not surprised he gets injured so much. Dude needs to do something about it! We can't lose him!

tennis_pro
05-06-2011, 01:44 PM
he's 3-5 to Nadal, not bad at all ...

3 of Nadal's wins came in 2007 and one only recently at the start of Del Potro's comeback. Only in 2009 it's 3-1 for Del Potro.

As for the main issue, I really dang hope it's not anything serious. A second career threatening injury would be fatal for Del Po.

KHSOLO
05-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately,it looks like Delpo's career is always going to be hampered by injury.He's one of the unlucky ones.First wrist and now hip and he's still only 22!

Frustrating for him and his fans because we know he's got the game to threaten everybody else out there.But will he ever be fit enough again to mount a sustained challenge like he did in 2009?

I really doubt it which is really unfortunate, hes a great player but cant keep his body healthy

Omega_7000
05-06-2011, 02:13 PM
federer did beat rafa on clay in 09.

Yes but Nadal was tired/exhausted & they were playing on a court with high elevation.

_maxi
05-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Many people here seem to be very stupid. Del Potro started to play very well after the Aus open in 2009. Before that, he lost to Federer 6-3 6-0 6-0, and he didn't "believe" he could be a top player yet. All he had done was to beat Roddick once and maybe Ferrer. Then he started to play better and better. But, after winning the Us open, he injured his arm. He even reached the final of the Masters cup with his arm injured beating Nadal and Federer again. After that, you can't consider anything because he played injured. Then he lost 1 year recovering from injury. Then he came back some months ago, playing better and better but always going from less to more... now he is injured again.

so, you can't judge him.. because you have not seen him playing at his real level since one and a half year.

Lets wait and see.

pound cat
05-06-2011, 03:18 PM
I can;t imagine how upset and worried DelPotro must be about this latest injury especiially as his tennis was going so well.

Hip injuries and tennis are not an uncommon thing for tennis players...Kuerten, Hewitt, Agassi, Woznialki, Clijsters, Hingis.....etc etc

Correlation between this injury and an open stance forehand.

stringertom
05-08-2011, 07:36 AM

Entering Madrid Delpo had played 31 matches, trailing only Nadal and Almagro (33 each) and tied with Ferrer. His quote on the cause for withdrawal centered on clay-specific hip stress, this week being only the second event for him on the dirt. He has only withdrawn from Rome and hopes to play Nice before the FO. The long layoff has absolutely nothing to do with this injury. He hurt his hip in his 30th tour match, which was the third or fourth match on clay. Adjusting to clay can lead to this problem, so let's hope his optimistic plan to return within the month holds true. Sorry for typo in heading...meant to type 7 instead of 8 of top 10.

jwbarrientos
05-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Poor Delpo, I hope he got healthy before RG

Marius_Hancu
05-10-2011, 12:43 PM
The diagnostic:
---
The 1.98-metre 22-year-old had tests in Buenos Aires on Saturday that showed an eight millimetre tear in a left hip muscle, his staff said in a statement.

We still dont know how long it will take for Del Potro to return to the circuit but it is most probable that he wont get to play the second Grand Slam of the season, Roland-Garros, they said.

Del Potro was quoted on the statement as saying: I started rehabilitation today (Monday) and I will do all I can to play in Paris.

I want to take things calmly without hurrying my return to the circuit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news;_ylt=AkRgy.TiuDKyBhgHfz7uIb04v7YF?slug=reu-mendelpotro

---
At least it isn't a tendon or ligament.

namelessone
05-10-2011, 12:49 PM
The diagnostic:
---
The 1.98-metre 22-year-old had tests in Buenos Aires on Saturday that showed an eight millimetre tear in a left hip muscle, his staff said in a statement.

We still dont know how long it will take for Del Potro to return to the circuit but it is most probable that he wont get to play the second Grand Slam of the season, Roland-Garros, they said.

Del Potro was quoted on the statement as saying: I started rehabilitation today (Monday) and I will do all I can to play in Paris.

I want to take things calmly without hurrying my return to the circuit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news;_ylt=AkRgy.TiuDKyBhgHfz7uIb04v7YF?slug=reu-mendelpotro

---
At least it isn't a tendon or ligament.

Sucks for the big guy.

Shows what the kind of IQ those **** eaters had when they accused him of faking it just to get out of an encounter with Nadal.

Lsmkenpo
05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
A strained hip flexor nothing serious at all, if he doesn't play he is a wimp.

Subventricular Zone
05-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Ooof. Hope he gets well soon. Sucks to get injured so often just when his comeback was gaining steam. At least he'll prob be seeded for RG.

jamesblakefan#1
05-10-2011, 02:08 PM

http://mrbubbaganoush.edublogs.org/files/2010/10/trollin-hatin-21p1tqq.jpg

Lsmkenpo
05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Not quite, just telling the truth, what it is is a muscle pull, reporting it like this is being over dramatic and the simpletons eat this up, as if his career is in jeopardy.

If this is a player in a team sport they would simply say it like this , he has a pulled groin, samething without all the drama.

eidolonshinobi
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Dangit Delpo!

Get better soon i guess... :(

FedExpress 333
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Man, I liked Delpo... hope for a quick recovery..

cc0509
05-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Everybody is building Del Potro up, meanwhile the guy can't stay fit long enough to do any damage.

Nadal has other things to worry about right now and as long as Del Potro is injured, he is not one of them.

stringertom
05-10-2011, 07:05 PM
The Internet reports are non-specific as to which muscle is torn...if it's the labrum, he's not gonna be ready for 2 months and probably will need arthroscopy. A flexor tear is simpler to treat (RICE with a small "e" followed by a Pilates-like stretching regimen. Maybe the FO is possible but after his hard work gaining 400+ ranking spots in 4 months after a yearlong layoff, I'm sure caution will be exercised in his corner.

BTW, the real "wimps" are the posting trolls who aren't suffering the performance injuries these athletes endure but have the nerve to play doctor from the sideline. Tennis doesn't allow you to take plays off and when you feel pain, your body is telling you it's time to shut it down. I've seen the picture of Delpo getting courtside treatment and his facial grimace was not faked. As a fan of the sport, I would much more prefer Delpo to take the proper time to come back so he will be able to entertain us all with his talent at 100% as long as possible. They're not gladiators we are watching, eh?

Marius_Hancu
05-10-2011, 08:19 PM

A STRAIN is NOT the same as a TEAR.

Read up.

And this is a TEAR.

One doesn't play with a tear.

Sentinel
05-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Nalbo too ...

David Nalbandian will miss the French Open after an illness hampered his recovery from a hernia operation and a muscle injury. Nalbandian lost weight after his injury in March and his comeback had been hit by a fever that interrupted his training. His spokesman, Bernardo Ballero, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the Argentine is "not right physically." Nalbandian

TennisFan3
05-11-2011, 06:17 AM
So any news on this?

IS Delpo playing the F.O or not?

I'm guessing Delpo is the ONLY player on tour, who can beat the red hot Djokovic on clay..

I'm hoping he recovers..

Lsmkenpo
05-11-2011, 07:01 AM
A STRAIN is NOT the same as a TEAR.

Read up.

And this is a TEAR.

One doesn't play with a tear.

A strain or pull is a tear

kishnabe
05-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Tear would need a minimum of 6 week healing...3 weeks fully functional...and another three weeks for the tissue to stregnthen. Del Potro can play RG....but he would be risking re-injury by then......sucks big time.

mcenroefan
05-11-2011, 07:30 AM

Well, I think a healthy DP can beat anyone if he plays well....I don't think it's specific to Rafa. There are relatively few players who can beat Rafa and Joker if Rafa and Joker play well but DP is in that category of being able to hit anyone off the court.

In any case, It's too bad b/c DP is one heck of a nice guy and a great player.

mcenroefan
05-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Many people here seem to be very stupid. Del Potro started to play very well after the Aus open in 2009. Before that, he lost to Federer 6-3 6-0 6-0, and he didn't "believe" he could be a top player yet. All he had done was to beat Roddick once and maybe Ferrer. Then he started to play better and better. But, after winning the Us open, he injured his arm. He even reached the final of the Masters cup with his arm injured beating Nadal and Federer again. After that, you can't consider anything because he played injured. Then he lost 1 year recovering from injury. Then he came back some months ago, playing better and better but always going from less to more... now he is injured again.

so, you can't judge him.. because you have not seen him playing at his real level since one and a half year.

Lets wait and see.

Agreed...it's a shame b/c, if he can stay healthy, he may have some huge things in store. He's a huge hitter.

glazkovss
05-11-2011, 07:56 AM
It's sad to miss RG, but not the end of the world.
Even if he will be absent until after Wimbledon, judging by his rapid progress this year he would still have all the chances to do well in USO series and indoor season and finish the year in top 10 or even top 5. His strengths can carry him a long way in any tournament:)

BreakPoint
05-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Because Nadal doesn't have any weapons that can hurt Del Potro while Del Potro has plenty of weapons that can hurt Nadal. Massive topspin that bounces up high? Del Potro says - "Right into my strike zone, thank you very much. Now I'll just crush it flat for a clean winner!" :)

jerriy
05-11-2011, 12:35 PM
^^^^^^^^^

Not quite, just telling the truth, what it is is a muscle pull, reporting it like this is being over dramatic and the simpletons eat this up, as if his career is in jeopardy. Who other than you said his career is in jeopardy?

If this is a player in a team sport they would simply say it like this , he has a pulled groin, samething without all the drama.What the effin crap are you talking about?

What drama? Where? When?

All-rounder
05-11-2011, 12:49 PM
There's hope people......

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/11/us-tennis-men-argentina-delpotro-idUSTRE74A6TR20110511

Lsmkenpo
05-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Who other than you said his career is in jeopardy?

What the effin crap are you talking about?

What drama? Where? When?

Christ, in the other thread they were speculating he had a torn labrum and ***** were acting as if his career was in jeopardy. Maybe you need to read the board a little more. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=379171

Raindogs
05-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I like Delpo a lot and really feel for him, but with that ectomorph build of his I'm wondering if he's gonna be a frail paper tiger his whole career.

Spider
05-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Agreed...it's a shame b/c, if he can stay healthy, he may have some huge things in store. He's a huge hitter.

Ifs and buts don't count. You either achieve those things or you don't.

stringertom
05-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I like Delpo a lot and really feel for him, but with that ectomorph build of his I'm wondering if he's gonna be a frail paper tiger his whole career.

His two injuries are not interconnected directly in cause or effect. The wrist was obviously directly related to too high a tension choice with the hardest string in a dense-patterned, stiff frame. The injury was fixed and rehab resulted in a drastic loss of ranking points. In his rush to reclaim those points, Delpo put together a schedule his body wasn't prepared for. He'll slow it down, rehab the hip and, if he's smart, return when the hip does not betray him. It's common to rush back too fast and I hope he learned from this. Missing the FO one year and for the 2nd consecutive time will be disappointing but will prevent possibly worse calamities. I do not believe he will land up on the long list of players through history who were known as having "great talent but injury prone".

Tennisworld
05-12-2011, 05:58 AM
According to some news Del Potro is expected to take part of the French Open.
He said he was not too concerned about his injury. Go Delpo. :)