PDA

View Full Version : Petkovic and Görges - have they supplanted Graf as best German player?

Joe Pike
05-06-2011, 09:30 AM
From 1986 until 2010 most experts and fans would have called Steffi Graf Germany's best female tennis player.

But Andrea Petkovic and Julia Görges with their great year 2011 (up to now) have overtaken Steffi at last, IMO.

Mick
05-06-2011, 09:31 AM
yeah but 22 grand slam titles > 0

tenis1
05-06-2011, 09:34 AM
And they are much better looking. Much better.

Jonny S&V
05-06-2011, 09:38 AM

They don't have Steffi's legs, unfortunately, tho... *growl*

jones101
05-06-2011, 09:40 AM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/397/927205-worst_thread_ever_super.jpg

Joe Pike
05-06-2011, 09:51 AM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/397/927205-worst_thread_ever_super.jpg

Why?
Do you think Steffi could still beat those two?

Rorsach
05-06-2011, 09:59 AM
At least Graf keeps her trap shut during play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuzYbVgqdwY

Fifth Set
05-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Wait, you are already saying that Petko are Goerges are now better than Graf ever was?!

Gorecki
05-06-2011, 10:16 AM
From 1986 until 2010 most experts and fans would have called Steffi Graf Germany's best female tennis player.

But Andrea Petkovic and Julia Görges with their great year 2011 (up to now) have overtaken Steffi at last, IMO.

i totally agree ....

wining over a slamless number one is a much bigger feature than 22 majors and a golden slam!

Joe Pike
05-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Wait, you are already saying that Petko are Goerges are now better than Graf ever was?!

:):)
Heaven's no!!

What made you think THAT???

Petko said a few weeks ago that Graf would be able to play at the "absolute top" of women's tennis if she were to return to the pro circuit.
I do think, though, that an almost 42-year-old Graf would be top-20 at maximum. Petkovic only wanted to be nice to Steffi.

tenis1
05-06-2011, 10:26 AM
They don't have Steffi's legs, unfortunately, tho... *growl*

I would take Goerges legs over Steffi's legs any time.

Edit: oops forgot that you are a troll that needs to be ignored. Too lazy to update list.

10smonkey
05-06-2011, 10:29 AM
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Pike
05-06-2011, 10:29 AM

Then try to match this ...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UaLWp72nij4/TE3yffBG7pI/AAAAAAAASNM/vA_th3I-7OI/s1600/steffi-graf-feet-4.jpg

Why do I know that we won't hear anything from you about this anymore ... ?

jones101
05-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Why?
Do you think Steffi could still beat those two?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuzYbVgqdwY

Steffi at 40+ can handle Petkovic, so yes!

Fifth Set
05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
:):)
Heaven's no!!

What made you think THAT???

Petko said a few weeks ago that Graf would be able to play at the "absolute top" of women's tennis if she were to return to the pro circuit.
I do think, though, that an almost 42-year-old Graf would be top-20 at maximum. Petkovic only wanted to be nice to Steffi.

Whew. That would have been nutty.

Unfortunately, comparing a 42 YO Graf isn't a whole lot better. Hardly fair. Graf might be able to take a single tiebreaker off the youngsters every once in a while, but certainly hasn't been playing enough to keep up for 2 out of 3 sets.

There is plenty of evidence of the effect of age when one of the old folks hits the court for a "real" match. Whether it's Muster getting his hat handed to him in Europe or the older Champions Series guys getting smoked by a still relatively young Philippoussis, 40+ is a different ball game.

THESEXPISTOL
05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Trololololol!

jones101
05-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Wait till Mother Marjorie sees this thread, she wont be a happy bunny, oh no she wont.

Marius_Hancu
05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
No way. No GSs at all.

tenis1
05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
This thread is a pathetic graftard attempt to even more inflate his idol's already inflated and overrated legacy.

JoelDali
05-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Julia is a better all court player than Graf.

Her looks and game are > Steffi

Graff's grand slam total do not count* 100%.

* stabber slams - no stabbing = less slams.

Graff needs to improve her slice to increase her legacy over Julia and Petko.

THUNDERVOLLEY
05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Then try to match this ...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UaLWp72nij4/TE3yffBG7pI/AAAAAAAASNM/vA_th3I-7OI/s1600/steffi-graf-feet-4.jpg

Why do I know that we won't hear anything from you about this anymore ... ?

Great legs, to be sure, but she never had much in the rear department.

Imagine if she had a butt like Vaidisova...

Joe Pike
05-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Great legs, to be sure, but she never had much in the rear department. ....

:):):)
Oh, son ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGHbfwBqSss

http://www.wikifeet.com/pictures/Steffi-Graf-Feet-346445.jpg

LDVTennis
05-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Joe, you are too funny...

marpiw
05-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Both girls are ''GRAFS TO BE'' in some moment in the future.They still need to prove they can overcome the stress of battling Grand Slams tournaments up to the final point and all the hassle of complex complete tournament schedules in which they should be signed in to the majority of events(tournaments).
They are undisputedly young promises of the sport to come.Its very nice to see some fresh players on the scene playing superbly as they do.
We are now witnesses of a big change of faces in the courts and perhaps we would need a whole year to see who is going to be the future GRAF,the future CLIJSTERS,the future HENIN,the future SELES and the future SABATINI.

DjokerIsTheBest
05-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Luckily she's not facing the camera, else her honker would break the lens.

Joe Pike
05-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Luckily she's not facing the camera, else her honker would break the lens.

I don't know what you mean ...

Say, are you gay?
Not that there is anything wrong with that.

BTW, even many gays appreciate Graf's beauty. Although they gravitate more towards gay icons like Navratilova, Seles, Djokovic.

Sid_Vicious
05-06-2011, 03:24 PM

Say, are you gay?

BTW, even many gays appreciate Graf's beauty. Although they gravitate more towards gay icons like Navratilova, Seles, Djokovic.

eh?

Lionheart392
05-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Say, are you gay?

I'm gay and Graf is my favourite female player of all time...
How is Seles a gay icon? :) I can understand Djokovic being popular with gays due to his playful personality.

sureshs
05-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Yup. The women pros of the past were ugly. Now you might say Kournikova, but she was not up to my standards.

DjokerIsTheBest
05-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Say, are you gay?

I'm not gay, and yes good body is important in a woman, but I definitely can't have an ugly face. Sorry, but that gargantuan nose puts Graf in the fugly category.

LDVTennis
05-06-2011, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=JoePikeJ
Say, are you gay?

BTW, even many gays appreciate Graf's beauty. Although they gravitate more towards gay icons like Navratilova, Seles, Djokovic.[/QUOTE]

Seles was no gay icon. I wouldn't call Navratilova one either.

Barbra Streisand is a gay icon.

As to the gays and Graf, it was all about that regal air.

OneMoreShot
05-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Yup. The women pros of the past were ugly. Now you might say Kournikova, but she was not up to my standards.

Who would be up to your standards? :confused:

TenFanLA
05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
No poster on TT is gay although some of their boyfriends are.

cocolate
05-06-2011, 09:13 PM
The OP was saying that Steffi Graf was still considered the best german player, that means she could still beat all the german women in the WTA...i think Petkovic and Gorges could bit her now.....he wasn't talking about them at their peaks and achievements, only about their present gameplay.Steffi is pretty old.

Joe Pike
05-07-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm gay and Graf is my favourite female player of all time...

That's commendable.
I mean Graf being your favourite female player.
Erm, not meaning now that being gay is not commendable ...

Many gays seem to like women who are moving gracefully and elegantly.
I like that about Steffi, too!
Oh, no ...

Joe Pike
05-07-2011, 12:46 AM

The 90s had Sabatini, Graf, Gigi Fernandez, Kournikova, Hingis, Pierce, Schett, van Roost, Coetzer.

I don't see a set of ladies like those in today's game.

Joe Pike
05-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Seles was no gay icon. I wouldn't call Navratilova one either.

Barbra Streisand is a gay icon.

As to the gays and Graf, it was all about that regal air.

I liked that about Graf, too!!!

BTW, what makes a gay icon?
A hetereo icon means blonde, dumb and big boobs apparently ...

Joe Pike
05-07-2011, 12:53 AM
The OP was saying that Steffi Graf was still considered the best german player, that means she could still beat all the german women in the WTA...i think Petkovic and Gorges could bit her now.....he wasn't talking about them at their peaks and achievements, only about their present gameplay.Steffi is pretty old.

Yes, of course that was my point.

To suggest that peak Steffi Graf would have had any trouble with Andrea or Julia would be ridiculous.
No, I was referring to Petko's opinion that TODAY'S Steffi could be at the "absolute top" of the WTA if she decided to return NOW.

Jonny S&V
05-07-2011, 09:57 PM

Idk, Steffi's body was smokin', but I would take Georges above the waist for sure (especially in the face-dept).

Edit: oops forgot that you are a troll that needs to be ignored. Too lazy to update list.

Seriously? Grow up, man. I disagreed with you about one topic, and now I disagreed with another topic that I have a differing opinion about, even though I DO semi-agree with you (the upper-body of Georges is pretty hard to vote against).

You have brains, and can post legitimate items on this forum. The past is gone, live in the present. Posters on this forum (myself included) are not out to get you. People disagree. Live with it.

sureshs
05-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Who would be up to your standards? :confused:

Sharapova not too bad

sureshs
05-08-2011, 09:03 AM
The 90s had Sabatini, Graf, Gigi Fernandez, Kournikova, Hingis, Pierce, Schett, van Roost, Coetzer.

I don't see a set of ladies like those in today's game.

I am not much into Hingis/Pierce/Kournikiva/Graf. For Graf, the face is not up to my standards.