PDA

View Full Version : PK Ki5 PSE vs KPS88

Fliparoni
05-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Hey guys. I've been using the KPS88 for a couple of years now, and out of sheer restlessness, I've been looking to try something different but not too different. The PK Ki5 PSE has the same static and swingweights but has a 100 inch headsize vs the 88 for the KPS, and is just two points less stiff than the KPS. This, to me, falls under the "different but not too different" category for me.

I was wondering if anyone here has used both frames and could compare the two (spin, control, serving, etc.)

Thanks!

Kemitak
05-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Ki5 PSE puts a little more spin on the ball; feels very clean and crisp; doesn't produce as heavy a ball, but the ball is faster and jumps off the court more. It has lots of control, but if I swing away when I'm lazy and my feet aren't set up, the ball will fly. I have to stay over the ball to see it go in. I find my chip backhand doesn't drop in sometimes, but carries on another foot or two. I notice my chip rarely floats, it's nearly always a strong, driving chip. I serve well with it, plenty of spin or pace, and sometimes both, but it feels a little cumbersome with the big head (it's my first and only mid-plus racquet). Volleys are terrific if in position, but not so good for reaction volleys. I've only had mine about a month, so I'm not quite honed in yet, but it does everything I expect it to. My one complaint, so far, is that, even though it looks cool, the chrome decals on the throat can reflect the light right into my eyes on my follow through, and after about an hour and a half, I develop a nice blind spot on the left half of my left eye.

Pro Staff 88, strangely, has a softer feel, pockets the ball more, and has a real good ball-crushing sensation; whereas the Ki5 feels like it has less dwell time. I've put lead in the handle, so my Pro Staff is much more head-light than the stock racquet, so it's more maneuverable around the net and when serving. It also has a little more control on mid-court approaches, put-aways, and half-volleys, but that may just be my greater confidence in it, because I too have been playing with it for a couple years. I think if you're in good position at the net, you'll find both racquets volley just the same. For some reason, I find my chip can float with the Pro Staff, unless I really stay over it. And as for groundies, whereas the Ki5 ball comes at you quicker off the court and almost surprises your opponent, the Pro Staff makes such a heavy, inevitable ball, that even if your opponent gets to it, he can't do what he wants with it. And also, it doesn't blind me.

If you're wondering, I'm a 5.0 player, with a one-handed backhand.

roundiesee
05-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Perhaps it was the strings that were on the Ki5 PSE I tried, but the feel of the racket appeared quite "dead"; I think the KPS88 flexes more, perhaps because of its thinner beam, and to me certainly has more feel.

Kemitak
05-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't say the Ki5 PSE feels dead as in muted, but it does have minimal vibrations (that's what the K and the i are for), which is why I say it has a very clean, crisp feel.

Fliparoni
05-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Ki5 PSE puts a little more spin on the ball; feels very clean and crisp; doesn't produce as heavy a ball, but the ball is faster and jumps off the court more. It has lots of control, but if I swing away when I'm lazy and my feet aren't set up, the ball will fly. I have to stay over the ball to see it go in. I find my chip backhand doesn't drop in sometimes, but carries on another foot or two. I notice my chip rarely floats, it's nearly always a strong, driving chip. I serve well with it, plenty of spin or pace, and sometimes both, but it feels a little cumbersome with the big head (it's my first and only mid-plus racquet). Volleys are terrific if in position, but not so good for reaction volleys. I've only had mine about a month, so I'm not quite honed in yet, but it does everything I expect it to. My one complaint, so far, is that, even though it looks cool, the chrome decals on the throat can reflect the light right into my eyes on my follow through, and after about an hour and a half, I develop a nice blind spot on the left half of my left eye.

Pro Staff 88, strangely, has a softer feel, pockets the ball more, and has a real good ball-crushing sensation; whereas the Ki5 feels like it has less dwell time. I've put lead in the handle, so my Pro Staff is much more head-light than the stock racquet, so it's more maneuverable around the net and when serving. It also has a little more control on mid-court approaches, put-aways, and half-volleys, but that may just be my greater confidence in it, because I too have been playing with it for a couple years. I think if you're in good position at the net, you'll find both racquets volley just the same. For some reason, I find my chip can float with the Pro Staff, unless I really stay over it. And as for groundies, whereas the Ki5 ball comes at you quicker off the court and almost surprises your opponent, the Pro Staff makes such a heavy, inevitable ball, that even if your opponent gets to it, he can't do what he wants with it. And also, it doesn't blind me.

If you're wondering, I'm a 5.0 player, with a one-handed backhand.

Great comparison and informative! I've only ever used mids, so I was wondering about how serving with a mid+ would feel like. Also, I never messed with lead on my KPS's so I was also wondering if the Ki5 felt more maneuverable than the stock KPS (6pts vs 9pts headlight).

Kemitak
05-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Also, I never messed with lead on my KPS's so I was also wondering if the Ki5 felt more maneuverable than the stock KPS (6pts vs 9pts headlight).

My PS 88's are 2 pts more head-light and 1oz. heavier than my Ki5 PSE, so there's not that much of a difference between the two around net; but I imagine the Ki5 PSE is noticeably quicker than a stock Pro Staff.

parasailing
05-08-2011, 09:50 AM
For me it's the opposite. I find that the KPS 88 is more maneuverable and can whip the ball a lot quicker through the hitting zone. It might be the racquet size that makes the difference for me. Plus I love the heavy ball generated with the 88 but sadly my wrist don't like it when I mishit on ocassions:(.

Both racquets are nice and solid though so can't really go wrong with either one of them, just more subtle differences.