PDA

View Full Version : Racquets that you hit well with but don't play well with in a match?

shogun90
05-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Hello All,

Do you find there are some racquets that hit very well, but when you are playing in a match, you don't get your best results with?

Can't think of a name
05-07-2011, 08:54 PM
all racquets

tata
05-07-2011, 08:55 PM
i think its a mental issue being that making errors will cost you points in a match.

jkang909
05-07-2011, 09:04 PM
rackets dont change on the situation youre playing in... its probably match situation that makes you play worse

dont blame the racket or any other outside factors... every error is the players fault

flashfire276
05-07-2011, 09:08 PM
I think in those situations, that's more like my "off day" kind of thing. Like, there's some days that my racquet feels like an extension of my arm, and I can take the craziest swing and it would still be in the court. But there are other days that just break my heart, and I can even get a single ball over the net, or even in the court.
Yes guys, my technique sucks. Haha!

Mick
05-07-2011, 09:08 PM
that's probably because when you play a match, your opponents would give you more difficult balls to deal with than the kind of balls you would get when you are practicing.

flashfire276
05-07-2011, 09:09 PM
that's probably because when you play a match, your opponents would give you more difficult balls to deal with than the kind of balls you would get when you are practicing.

+1 on this. Great answer by the way!

Rock Strongo
05-08-2011, 05:37 AM
My beloved Carbonexes... they hit oh so well with so much power and plowthrough but the standard sized head and the high weight makes them nigh on impossible to use for extended periods. It's like a KPS88 more than 20 years before the KPS88 was ever made...

fuzz nation
05-08-2011, 08:08 AM
rackets dont change on the situation youre playing in... its probably match situation that makes you play worse

dont blame the racket or any other outside factors... every error is the players fault

Fair enough, but I see this in a different light.

On the practice courts, we can primarily pay attention to ourselves. That includes my monitoring things like my quick movement, footwork, complete back swing, proper swing plane, timing, full follow through, and even keeping my head more still so that it's sort of hovering in the air to give me a better look at the ball at contact.

In a match situation, we can't monitor all these things. Much more attention is spent on the opponent and the tactics needed to manage the points. Most of those swing issues I could monitor on the practice courts have to now happen unconsciously during competition. That makes for a very different situation on the courts and reinforces the importance of practicing with deliberate purpose.

In competition, we can only use what we've put in the toolbox on the practice courts. In a match, we need to use what we've got without much having to think about it.

shogun90
05-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Fair enough, but I see this in a different light.

On the practice courts, we can primarily pay attention to ourselves. That includes my monitoring things like my quick movement, footwork, complete back swing, proper swing plane, timing, full follow through, and even keeping my head more still so that it's sort of hovering in the air to give me a better look at the ball at contact.

In a match situation, we can't monitor all these things. Much more attention is spent on the opponent and the tactics needed to manage the points. Most of those swing issues I could monitor on the practice courts have to now happen unconsciously during competition. That makes for a very different situation on the courts and reinforces the importance of practicing with deliberate purpose.

In competition, we can only use what we've put in the toolbox on the practice courts. In a match, we need to use what we've got without much having to think about it.

I'm in agreement with you fuzz.

parasailing
05-08-2011, 09:44 AM

+2 on this comment as well. The rhythm of a match is so much different from practice.

dennis10is
05-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Hello All,

Do you find there are some racquets that hit very well, but when you are playing in a match, you don't get your best results with?

No, not rackets but vibration dampener and choice of towels. You need to hire a vibra guru and chief executive towel dispener. I've found that the choice of vibra dampener is critical. I have a vibration dampener caddie with me, giving me a different one for each point. Also, during change over, the size, colar, weave, and thread count of the towel I use to wipe my face, arms and legs (all different towels of course) contributed greatly to my recuperation.

Good luck

Hidious
05-08-2011, 10:26 AM
I think what the OP is referring to is the feeling that you are hitting a good solid ball but your opponent has an easy time returning them and you can't seem to win any matches. Happened a lot to me when trying some lighter and stiffer racquet. The stiffer feel lead me to believe i was hitting a very fast paced ball with no effort, but it was ineffective in match play. Going back to the trusty AG200, i felt i was hitting a slower ball but it seemed like my opponents would have a hard time with it and i started winning again. I think you can't rely on your feel alone to judge to efficiency of your strokes.

gamesetmats
05-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Head radical (all of them) for me. They seem like nice ballpark rackets but don't work for me in a real match. Though this is just me. ps I play with the prestige

mctennis
05-08-2011, 09:06 PM
all racquets

LOL, I hear ya. I think I'm in that group as well. I've got a closet full of them as well as my racquet bag is full of them. And I keep buying more that do the same thing.