PDA

View Full Version : Racquet change

tennisfanireland94
05-08-2011, 04:42 AM
My current racquet is 256g with a lot of power and I am thinking of changing to a non-power one that weighs 324g. I can't seem to find a proper answer for this, could anyone tell me is this too big a change as they are two very different racquets?

Thanks

fuzz nation
05-09-2011, 07:11 AM
If you can list the racquet models you're talking about, it will probably be easier for myself and the other racquet nerds around here to relate some personal experiences.

I've always liked heavier racquets and really enjoy the Volkl C10 these days. With their extra helping of flex, they give me more control and confidence from the baseline, but with their weight, they still thump the ball nicely when I swing away. It's easy for me to recommend heavier racquets, since I'm used to them, but I also think that you should expect to need a bit of time to adjust your swing habits. A heavier racquet takes a slightly longer amount of time to get moving, so that means learning to get your swings started a little sooner.

In the short term, it may mean a bit of a setback in your game as you re-learn some swing habits, but otherwise it's hard for me to warn you off of heavier gear. If you ever go to the net, I'll bet you find that a frame with more mass and stability gives you some more authority on your volleys. You might also find some extra gas for your serves along with having an easier time when blocking returns of serve against harder hitters.

The notion of power can mean different things. Remember that a "non-power" racquet may have less pop or liveliness, but if it gives you a lot more control, you might be able to keep your harder shots down on the court more often. While stiffer, lighter racquets may have power in terms of that extra pop, I've enjoyed heavier, softer, more low-powered racquets because they allow me to play with more power.

tennisfanireland94
05-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks for that, i'm currently using a Head YouTek Speed Lite but thinking of changing to the Wilson BLX Blade Tour. I appreciate it would be a big change and I'd like other people's opinions on what to do

tennisfanireland94
05-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I've really improved over the two years I've used the Speed lite so I think it's time for something heavier and more substantial

Hewex
05-10-2011, 05:19 AM
I've really improved over the two years I've used the Speed lite so I think it's time for something heavier and more substantial

Why such a huge leap though? I'd check out one in the 290 range for now and see how that feels.

NeverGassed1212
05-10-2011, 07:49 AM
I would recommend trying one of the heavier speed models. I have used both versions of the youteks and also played the kblade tour. The blade is a good stick but provides zero forgiveness, you have to be set up and have solid technique to use it effectively. I had some success with it, but found that I liked it best as a doubles stick where I didn't have to go far to get set up for my shots. Coming from the speed lite you are going to find a significant drop in spin as well. The speed mp's are both a step up in weight, still easy to swing, and are affordable if you go for the youtek versions on sale right now. I personally prefer the 18x20 as it provides better spin, control from the baseline and better touch at net over the 16x19, imo.

tennisfanireland94
05-10-2011, 08:04 AM
I would recommend trying one of the heavier speed models. I have used both versions of the youteks and also played the kblade tour. The blade is a good stick but provides zero forgiveness, you have to be set up and have solid technique to use it effectively. I had some success with it, but found that I liked it best as a doubles stick where I didn't have to go far to get set up for my shots. Coming from the speed lite you are going to find a significant drop in spin as well. The speed mp's are both a step up in weight, still easy to swing, and are affordable if you go for the youtek versions on sale right now. I personally prefer the 18x20 as it provides better spin, control from the baseline and better touch at net over the 16x19, imo.

Yeah the forgiveness is my main worry really. I don't tend to use a lot of spin though, so I don't know if that'll worry me too much. I'm just looking for a control racquet that will let me choose how much power I put on it myself, rather than having the racquet do it for me. Plus I like the solid look and feel of the Blade Tour, and the BLX range in general.

tennisfanireland94
05-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Gonna bump this

NeverGassed1212
05-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah the forgiveness is my main worry really. I don't tend to use a lot of spin though, so I don't know if that'll worry me too much. I'm just looking for a control racquet that will let me choose how much power I put on it myself, rather than having the racquet do it for me. Plus I like the solid look and feel of the Blade Tour, and the BLX range in general.

It seems like a major jump to go from 102 sq in with an open string pattern to pretty much the tightest string pattern with the 18x20 on the 93 sq in. Have you demoed a radical or blx blade 98? You would be getting the control you crave in a more forgiving package. I probably should have not moved away from the radical line but mine broke and I wanted to try something different at the time. They are a step up in weight but not a huge leap and are completely customizable.

max
05-11-2011, 01:37 PM
My current racquet is 256g with a lot of power and I am thinking of changing to a non-power one that weighs 324g. I can't seem to find a proper answer for this, could anyone tell me is this too big a change as they are two very different racquets?

Thanks

God, I have no idea of where you're at, tennis-wise. . . max can't imagine a racquet at 256 gs: mine is 345 g.

max
05-11-2011, 01:38 PM
If you can list the racquet models you're talking about, it will probably be easier for myself and the other racquet nerds around here to relate some personal experiences.

I've always liked heavier racquets and really enjoy the Volkl C10 these days. With their extra helping of flex, they give me more control and confidence from the baseline, but with their weight, they still thump the ball nicely when I swing away. It's easy for me to recommend heavier racquets, since I'm used to them, but I also think that you should expect to need a bit of time to adjust your swing habits. A heavier racquet takes a slightly longer amount of time to get moving, so that means learning to get your swings started a little sooner.

In the short term, it may mean a bit of a setback in your game as you re-learn some swing habits, but otherwise it's hard for me to warn you off of heavier gear. If you ever go to the net, I'll bet you find that a frame with more mass and stability gives you some more authority on your volleys. You might also find some extra gas for your serves along with having an easier time when blocking returns of serve against harder hitters.

The notion of power can mean different things. Remember that a "non-power" racquet may have less pop or liveliness, but if it gives you a lot more control, you might be able to keep your harder shots down on the court more often. While stiffer, lighter racquets may have power in terms of that extra pop, I've enjoyed heavier, softer, more low-powered racquets because they allow me to play with more power.

Some good, useful wisdom here.

tennisfanireland94
05-11-2011, 02:09 PM
God, I have no idea of where you're at, tennis-wise. . . max can't imagine a racquet at 256 gs: mine is 345 g.

I'm 17 and I've had the racquet for nearly 2 years. In those 2 years I've improved more than I ever have done (began playing more seriously, entering tournaments etc). The racquet was perfect for me then, but I feel as I'm older and stronger, I need something heavier, more control-based and one that will make me use my own power rather than getting it from the racquet. I would say I'm now about a 3.0 player, maybe stretching to 3.5.

I also had a look at Nadal's racquet today (can't remember the full name of it). It is 300g with a 100sq inch head which may be an easier step up from the Speed Lite. The reviews I've seen are quite good. Anyone have any information or experience with this one?

tailofdog
05-11-2011, 04:47 PM
That racquet would be a good canidate for lead tape. That would bring it up in weight. Then you can judge how the weight works for you without, buying a new racquet first.
There are many threads on adding lead tape on this forum.

roundiesee
05-11-2011, 06:11 PM
OP- the Speed Lite is an excellent racket! A lot of my friends at about 4-4.5 level are actually going from players sticks to lighter rackets with good results. But I do understand that as you improve you feel the need to move to something with more weight. However I feel that the jump may be too great. You could perhaps consider going to the Speed Midplus if you want to stick with Head, or the BLX Blade 98 if you like the BLX range. Good luck!

bertrevert
05-11-2011, 06:37 PM
OP- the Speed Lite is an excellent racket! A lot of my friends at about 4-4.5 level are actually going from players sticks to lighter rackets with good results. But I do understand that as you improve you feel the need to move to something with more weight. However I feel that the jump may be too great. You could perhaps consider going to the Speed Midplus if you want to stick with Head, or the BLX Blade 98 if you like the BLX range. Good luck!

Or are they going to the more-recent phenomena of "light players sticks" which is what seems to be happening.

Am unsure if I'm trend-spotting or not but there seems a move on to put sticks with player-like characteristics into juniors hands, call it player-lite <shudder>.

So you get a relatively low-powered racquet with great control, a smallish sweetspot, and plenty of feel and wrap it up in a package weighing around 300 grams.

Am thinking: Volkl Organix 10 295, Head Lite, Elite...???

bertrevert
05-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I also had a look at Nadal's racquet today (can't remember the full name of it). It is 300g with a 100sq inch head which may be an easier step up from the Speed Lite. The reviews I've seen are quite good. Anyone have any information or experience with this one?

Pretty sure over in Pros Racquets someone actually got hold by auction of a real Rafa racq and it was 320 grams on the nail.

To answer your original question - that would seem too big a jump in one go to my mind, but you might be progressing rapidly.

However, as posted in this thread, heavier isn't necessarily progress.

You don't play all your life and end up with a Sampras-Staff necessarily.

We all top-out somewhere with what suits our games, trick is to find the characteristics that match what we like to go do on court.

roundiesee
05-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Or are they going to the more-recent phenomena of "light players sticks" which is what seems to be happening.

Am unsure if I'm trend-spotting or not but there seems a move on to put sticks with player-like characteristics into juniors hands, call it player-lite <shudder>.

So you get a relatively low-powered racquet with great control, a smallish sweetspot, and plenty of feel and wrap it up in a package weighing around 300 grams.

Am thinking: Volkl Organix 10 295, Head Lite, Elite...???

Yes, I think you are on to something there; problem is sometimes we tend to get too "fixed" in our ways once we get used to players sticks, when actually there may be some other options which come as lighter packages and actually do play well. I have tried the Speed Lite and it is surprisingly solid for such a "lite" stick. Ditto also for the old Wilson K Blade Team. A friend who is about 4.5 recently switched to the IG Speed Lite and hasn't been beaten so far! (Sort of like Djokovic) :)

tennisfanireland94
05-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Pretty sure over in Pros Racquets someone actually got hold by auction of a real Rafa racq and it was 320 grams on the nail.

To answer your original question - that would seem too big a jump in one go to my mind, but you might be progressing rapidly.

However, as posted in this thread, heavier isn't necessarily progress.

You don't play all your life and end up with a Sampras-Staff necessarily.

We all top-out somewhere with what suits our games, trick is to find the characteristics that match what we like to go do on court.

well i genuinely think i have improved a lot since i got the Speed Lite. When i got it i was only kind of lobbing the ball in, now i'm playing (and sometimes beating) very good players, hitting harder, mixing up my shots more and trying to take advantage of weaknesses. maybe the Rafa racquet might be a bit too big of a jump, but the guy i was talking to in the shop said it would be a suitable one for what i'm looking for (more control with a mix of power). In short, i am lost regarding which racquet to buy. If it helps, I like to play an attacking baseline game, try to hit winners a lot and don't go to the net very much. I also hit quite flat on my groundstrokes.

bertrevert
05-12-2011, 05:01 PM
well i genuinely think i have improved a lot since i got the Speed Lite. When i got it i was only kind of lobbing the ball in, now i'm playing (and sometimes beating) very good players, hitting harder, mixing up my shots more and trying to take advantage of weaknesses. maybe the Rafa racquet might be a bit too big of a jump, but the guy i was talking to in the shop said it would be a suitable one for what i'm looking for (more control with a mix of power). In short, i am lost regarding which racquet to buy. If it helps, I like to play an attacking baseline game, try to hit winners a lot and don't go to the net very much. I also hit quite flat on my groundstrokes.

Well the Babolats and those "type" racquets are great for attacking baseliners.

I was going to wholeheartedly agree with you, taht you are on the right track and that at your age Hewitt was beating Agassi so yes you can wield 320g, but what paused me was this:

"I also hit quite flat on my groundstrokes"

That complicates it. If you're not looking for a spin monster from the baseline but like to punch thru the ball then you're going to want a bit of weight and perhaps a smaller head.

Hey how about doing the Fuzz suggestion and listing models you find interesting?

did you try TW racquetfinder (http://www.racquetfinder.com/)?

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Probably the best player I know and hit with (a local coach with some AMAZING scalps in his rare Tournament forays) has switched to the BLX Team this year and is loving it.

We were comparing it with my bio 300s the other night and they are very similar indeed.

even a Radical is around that 300-315 strung range.

(yes, yes, I know I own almost the entire biomimetic range, but I play with all of them, it just depends on the surface, type of match, phase of the moon, stuff like that...)

tennisfanireland94
05-13-2011, 01:41 AM
@bertrovert, i've pretty much narrowed it down to these few, If you could give me your advice based on what I've told you about my game it would be great:

Wilson BLX Blade Tour
Wilson BLX Tour
Babolat AeroPro Drive GT
Dunlop Biomimetic 300
Head YOUTEK Radical Midplus

With the exception of the Dunlop, I should be able to try all these out in my local shop.

bertrevert
05-13-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi tennisfan-RepublicOfEire-94

The four I have familiarity with

I had a kBlade Tour - v. demanding! Great when you centre the ball but more old school racq. You have to setup real early. Need good mechanics and form. Unforgiving.

Had quite a few Dunlop 300Gs - accurate and light, a little power there but in the main you have to supply it. Nice blend of control & pwr. Thought this the best/closest of the four.

The Rads are very low powered and I am unsure they would give you the pop you may want/need.

Had the kTour. Look the racquet is really interesting and unlike anything else. But I did not gel with the extended length.

That leaves the Bab which I cannot comment on.

Others to consider: Head Extreme, Prince EXO3 Tour Team 100, Babolat Pure Drive GT (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/BPDGT/BPDGTReview.html), Head YOUTEK IG Speed 300 or Elite

Check out the GT vs the Elite (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?racquetA=HSE|100|Head|YOUTEK:IG:Sp eed:Elite|RCHEAD|x&racquetB=BPDGT|100|Babolat|Pure:Drive:GT|RCBAB|x&racquetC=none&racquetD=none) power.

To get that heft - how about the Dunlop 200g lite?

tennisfanireland94
05-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi tennisfan-RepublicOfEire-94

The four I have familiarity with

I had a kBlade Tour - v. demanding! Great when you centre the ball but more old school racq. You have to setup real early. Need good mechanics and form. Unforgiving.

Had quite a few Dunlop 300Gs - accurate and light, a little power there but in the main you have to supply it. Nice blend of control & pwr. Thought this the best/closest of the four.

The Rads are very low powered and I am unsure they would give you the pop you may want/need.

Had the kTour. Look the racquet is really interesting and unlike anything else. But I did not gel with the extended length.

That leaves the Bab which I cannot comment on.

Others to consider: Head Extreme, Prince EXO3 Tour Team 100, Babolat Pure Drive GT (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/BPDGT/BPDGTReview.html), Head YOUTEK IG Speed 300 or Elite

Check out the GT vs the Elite (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?racquetA=HSE|100|Head|YOUTEK:IG:Sp eed:Elite|RCHEAD|x&racquetB=BPDGT|100|Babolat|Pure:Drive:GT|RCBAB|x&racquetC=none&racquetD=none) power.

To get that heft - how about the Dunlop 200g lite?

Thanks for all the help, appreciate the Irish as well :) I looked up a few of the other ones you recommended.
My friend has the Pure Drive GT and after trying it for a few mins i didn't really like the feel of it.

The Prince EXO3 Team 100 could definitely be a possibility. Exact weight and headsize i am looking for roughly, and reviews seem quite good.

Felt the Head extremes in the shop, didn't love the feel and they seem a bit heavy and lacking in power.

Looked up Dunlop 200 Lite, i think 326g is a bit too big of a leap to be honest.

At the moment i'm finding it hard finding the right racquet really. I'd like something with low-medium power, maybe 95-100 sq inch head and say 290-310g weight. i generally like hitting hard, flat shots from the baseline. i know it's up to me and how i feel at the end of the day, but if you've any other recommendations/advice it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

tennisfanireland94
05-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Just bumping this up

thebeast73
05-14-2011, 04:32 AM
maybe a babolat pure storm or pure storm tour if u are interested in the babolat line