PDA

View Full Version : closed pattern at low tension vs open pattern

martin
05-09-2011, 02:33 AM
I always used open pattern rackets as it should be easier to get spin but would a closed pattern give the same feeling and power if you string it quite a few lbs lower.
Will there be any changes in sweetspot size, flex or anything else compared to the open pattern racket???

fuzz nation
05-09-2011, 06:55 AM
I usually think of flex as a reference to the frame instead of the strings. At lower tensions, the strings will certainly be softer and maybe more comfortable because they have some more give (or flex) to them, but regardless of the pattern in any racquet I use, it always seems to have a range of a few pounds in tension that feels "right" to me. That means I'm not one to string tighter for control or looser for power. For me, a frame is dialed in when the response and feel are comfortable - yes, it's a subjective issue.

Enough about me. If you haven't tried different tensions in your racquet with the same string, it can be good to know how the different tension could work. I like to change the tension in my synthetic gut by three pounds (either up or down) when trying a different setup to get just enough contrast.

I've only played with a couple of racquets with dense string patterns, but I don't believe that there's an apples-and-oranges difference compared with the feel and performance of an open pattern. Since there are more strings sharing the load at impact though, it's not unreasonable to assume that a dense layout might have a feel that's closer to a more open pattern if the dense option is strung at a couple pounds lighter tension (with the same string).

4sound
05-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I've played with both open and closed string patterns.

The feel of the closed patterns is different, even if you string it at a lower tension. I also found closed patterns feel better with a thinner string. Sweet spot feels a little smaller but when you find it, the control on slice and flat shots is more accurate IMO.

I prefer dense pattern for doubles because my volleys feel more accurate.

My personal preference now is the smaller mid size frame with an open string pattern. When I played with the mid plus I used a denser pattern strung lower.

Everyone is different and it takes time to commit to a racket change.

LeeD
05-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Close enough. My 95 softie racket with 17 gauge and 50 lbs. almost feels similar to my 100 stiffy with 16 gauge and 54 lbs. Bite on ball close enough, diff is 2 oz of weight and 25 pts on SW.

Devilito
05-09-2011, 07:48 PM
I always used open pattern rackets as it should be easier to get spin but would a closed pattern give the same feeling and power if you string it quite a few lbs lower.
Will there be any changes in sweetspot size, flex or anything else compared to the open pattern racket???

you'll never get the same feeling that's the entire point of different string patterns. However it definitely makes a big difference what you string at. In my Prestige MP i use 17 gauge poly strung at 36 lbs. 16 would be too big, 18 iffy on durability and high tension feels horrible. You can somewhat get away with high tension in an open pattern but it a close pattern it's arm shattering. I'm talking about a full bed of Poly here though.

Limpinhitter
05-10-2011, 08:31 AM
For me, the type of string I use makes as much difference as the string tension. Head size also makes a difference. I like 18x20 in a 98si head for the feel/touch/control, and because string durability is about double for me with an 18x20. As for tension, this is what I've come to prefer, more or less depending on brand:

16x19 - poly at 54; multi at 60
18x20 - poly at 46; multi at 52

SirGounder
05-10-2011, 11:51 AM
I've played with both open and closed string patterns.

The feel of the closed patterns is different, even if you string it at a lower tension. I also found closed patterns feel better with a thinner string. Sweet spot feels a little smaller but when you find it, the control on slice and flat shots is more accurate IMO.

I prefer dense pattern for doubles because my volleys feel more accurate.

This is pretty similar to my experience. I used to play exclusively with 16x19 or 20 patterns, thinking that the extra spin would benefit my game. Then I tried some 18x20 racquets and realized that I could still get spin out of them when I wanted to, but also had a lot more control and touch on slices, drop shots, and volleys. I have found my sweet spot to be 18g poly at 45 lbs. The thinner string makes for a very plush racquet and allows me to get spin when I need it.

martin
05-10-2011, 02:22 PM
So a more open string pattern has even at higher tension a bigger sweetspot, more spin, a less uniform response, less control and more power?
Consider that the headsizes of both string patterns is the same.