PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the Pacific X Feel Pro 90 Yet?

stevewcosta
05-09-2011, 05:09 AM
Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

anirut
06-18-2011, 03:11 AM
I decide to use this thread instead of starting a new one to, at least, keep things in one place.

Alright, here's my story on the Pacific X Feel Pro 90 Vacuum (hereinafter known as XFP90)

I play tested my XFP90 for the last two weeks. Not very much time I had with the racket (due to a factor which was frustrating). No serious match play, only a few games to feel the racket. Here are my observations.

First off, the racket's not suitable with full job Gosen OG Micro for whatever reason, at whatever tension. This is the frustrating factor. It took me three string jobs (and three tensions) to conclude that they don't cooperate. That's why it took me sometime to provide my view of the stick. It just felt very dead and dull and (... a lot of swears ...) with the Gosen strings. But, the Gosen strings are good, as I use it on other sticks and they're great. The string and the racket just don't match. End of story.

So, I got her strung up one-piece job with Gamma Wearguard 17 @55 lbs (mid tension) and took for a test drive last night.

Nice one-piece flex-yet-firm feel; muted, non-crispy (could be the racket-and-strings interaction). Feels much lighter than the "finished" weight, i.e. with string and overgrip - 349.3 grams, ~9.5 pts HL. Now, that's even heavier than my Redondo, but you don't feel it.

Very control oriented, of course. You need to really get the sweetspot to appreciate the feel. Off-center can be a punishment as the ball can easily fall short, and the feel can be pretty bad, like a board. Remember, this is with a decent cheapo synthetic gut only.

I'm not going go in-depth about spin generation as that's all about techniques. It's not as easy to spin as the Redondo, given the same technique, string and tension.

Is it solid? Yes, but sorta muted. With the same string set up as the Redondo, the Redondo feels more solid to me. But nothing bad about the XFP90.

Serving is easy and accurate. Nice. I got an ace, at least, playing four games.

Slices need a very proper technique and you can really knife a fast, deep, low, penetrating slice. If you don't prepare well things will just be mediocre.

I haven't really volleyed with the racket as we were only having fun rallies. But of the few volleys, yes, nice and sharp. Old school prep, of course.

So, is it good?

I'm happy to say yes. I mean, if it can play as it is with a less-than-four-bucks-a-set string, it's a good racket, very good racket. The rest is about finding the right string and tension for it. I always test a racket at manufacturer's recommended mid tension.

Now, for those who are serious about planning to get serious with the XFP90: Use the provided gut/poly combo set at 52 lbs, with gut mains and poly crosses. The racket will be nothing short of "sublime". That's all I can say. I bought three XFP90's when I was at TW's HQ, two were for my friend, and he strung both of them up at the tension. The racket was sorta "perfect". Sublime, pals, just sublime. It's like a "tennis-marijuana". Just be very careful of the addiction if you want to try it.

That's it for a quick feedback of the stick.

Cheers!

Keifers
06-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Whoa! What happened to the other posts in this thread? :confused:

Automatix
06-19-2011, 02:16 AM
First off, the racket's not suitable with full job Gosen OG Micro for whatever reason, at whatever tension. This is the frustrating factor. The original Fischer was also very string & tension sensitive.

anirut
06-19-2011, 04:12 AM
Whoa! What happened to the other posts in this thread? :confused:

There are two threads with the same title by stevewcosta. I picked the "empty" one. :lol:

stevewcosta
06-19-2011, 07:24 AM
There are two threads with the same title by stevewcosta. I picked the "empty" one. :lol:

Thanks for the review anirut. Now that the 6.0 is back, there's no looking back for me. Tired of throwing money out the window.

Keifers
06-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Just curious.. why did you do that?

And what happened to the other one? I can't seem to find it.

anirut
06-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Keifers,

Well ... I don't know why I chose this one. May be because it was empty. :lol:

Here's the thread with your comments: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=375019

anirut
06-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the review anirut. Now that the 6.0 is back, there's no looking back for me. Tired of throwing money out the window.

You're welcome.

Well, I don't think it's throwing money out the window with this frame. It's a worthy stick.

It's actually throwing money into TW's account ... :lol:

Keifers
06-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Keifers,

Well ... I don't know why I chose this one. May be because it was empty. :lol:

Here's the thread with your comments: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=375019
No, that's not the one I meant. I want the other stevewcosta thread of the same name. Any idea what happened to it?

stevewcosta
06-19-2011, 09:47 AM
You're welcome.

Well, I don't think it's throwing money out the window with this frame. It's a worthy stick.

It's actually throwing money into TW's account ... :lol:

True. It's just ridiculous how mch I have spent on tennis racquets! Crazy but fun! More fun if I kept them all...(wish I had kept several along the way..6.0 95s, Estusa PBBraided, Gamma DF 9.5s...).

anirut
06-19-2011, 07:17 PM
No, that's not the one I meant. I want the other stevewcosta thread of the same name. Any idea what happened to it?

Sorry, Keifers, the names aren't exact, but also by steve: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=377198

roundiesee
06-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Anirut, does it play better than the Redondo? Would you add any lead to it or just play it stock?

anirut
06-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Anirut, does it play better than the Redondo? Would you add any lead to it or just play it stock?

First, my Redondo's near stock, lacking just that top-of-grip rubber band. Not even an ovegrip, weighing in at 344.6 grams, two grams less than it should be.

And, no, as of now I wouldn't mod the XFP90 by whatever means. It's great as it is.

Playing them both "stock", as mentioned in my comments above, I wouldn't say which one's better than the other. It's the Indian, not the arrow. Both are good sticks and require good techniques and will give good results if you know how to use them.

But if you ask which one is easier to play with, definitely the Redondo. But if you want that "satisfaction" from playing all you got, I would rate the XFP90 higher in that regard.

I would still stand with my comments even if you use gut on the two rackets, as I have also used full-gut job on the Redondo -- and it's very, very sweet too.

(BTW, do note that MY Redondo's 5 years old and has gone through countless string jobs and on-court torture. I think I'll pull out my other lesser-use Redondo to compare and provide another "more equalized" review.)