PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with my racquet?

Unpunpai
05-09-2011, 03:22 PM
About 2 weeks ago I was hitting with my Head Microgel Radical OS tennis racquet. After about 40 minutes of hitting, I immediately felt something was off about my racquet. I thought it was my strings because I was getting a "boing" noise rather than a "pop". It also was hitting longer and the tension felt as though it dropped all of a sudden. It also felt like the ball was going further into my string bed. I went to string my tennis racquet at DHL Tennis and hoped that it would fix the problem. It didn't. I bought this racquet at Tennis Warehouse on December 2010 strung with Prince Synthetic Gut 16g at 58 tension. I strung with the same string and the same tension at DHL Tennis. I do use a Vibration Dampener for my racket (tried 2 different kinds and still got that "boing/springy" noise). I'm really disappointed because the last thing I want is my money down the drain :(. If anyone can provide any information or tell me any information they want me to add, please say so. Greatly appreciated.

cork_screw
05-09-2011, 04:04 PM
You sure it's not a "ping" sounding like a tingy sound that you might get if you tap a fork to a frying pan? Well, sometimes the grommets pinch the graphite frame or the strings move and position themselves around the grommets where it will make a sound change, but this is usually the case with more of a "ping." I've never heard of anyone describing a "boing" nor could I imagine one unless your racquet was a cartoon racquet from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

esgee48
05-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Inspect your racquet around the hoop, throat and grommets. Could be cracked, but won't know until you look. The other issue could be different stringing machines. I believe TW probably did yours on a Neos (?). What did your stringer use? Constant pull or Lockout? If that's not the source of the difference, then it could be due to different strings (color makes a difference) or how long the string has been in your racquet. And finally, could just be due to stringer technique. Different people on different stingers produce different string bed stiffness(s).

Unpunpai
05-09-2011, 06:37 PM
You sure it's not a "ping" sounding like a tingy sound that you might get if you tap a fork to a frying pan? Well, sometimes the grommets pinch the graphite frame or the strings move and position themselves around the grommets where it will make a sound change, but this is usually the case with more of a "ping." I've never heard of anyone describing a "boing" nor could I imagine one unless your racquet was a cartoon racquet from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Yeah. That's the sound my racquet is getting. That sound you get when you tap a fork to a frying pan.

Inspect your racquet around the hoop, throat and grommets. Could be cracked, but won't know until you look. The other issue could be different stringing machines. I believe TW probably did yours on a Neos (?). What did your stringer use? Constant pull or Lockout? If that's not the source of the difference, then it could be due to different strings (color makes a difference) or how long the string has been in your racquet. And finally, could just be due to stringer technique. Different people on different stingers produce different string bed stiffness(s).

I inspected my racquet and felt around to see if I could feel any cracks. No cracks or anything that felt like a crack. Could stringing machines really cause this? I bought my racquet on December 2010 and this problem happened on April 2011. Not exactly sure what stringer they used. I used the white version of Prince Synthetic Gut when I got my racquet and when I restrung it at DHL Tennis. Same Gauge too.

If I can I can probably provide a video If I knew what to record. I just hope it would be good enough quality to see anything.

SoBad
05-09-2011, 06:40 PM
The first thing you need to do is get rid of PSG. It is the worst string of all time, there was a discussion on this recently, you can do a search.

esgee48
05-09-2011, 07:39 PM
OK..frame may not be cracked. It appears that you are not getting the string bed stiffness from your DHL stringer as TW. Since you are hitting long, I would think that you are received a lower reference tension than what you got from TW. Only way to be sure is to ask TW what machine they used to string your racquet (Neos, which is a lockout? vs DHL) The problem you may be experiencing could also be related to stringer. Even if strung on the same machine, 2 different stringers will produce slightly different string bed stiffness. That's normal and this could be what you are experiencing.

If you want a lower thud like sound from your string bed, change strings to something thinner in gauge and tighter. Just my 2 cents.