PDA

View Full Version : has anybody strung a racket with => 10 lbs difference?

ricardo
05-09-2011, 08:19 PM
has anybody strung a racket with => 10 lbs difference?

in my quest for more spin, i am thinking of stringing my old racket with a 10 lbs difference between mains and crosses (lower by at least 10 lbs). For example, 50 lbs mains and 40 lbs crosses.

my thinking is that looser crosses will allow the mains to move more freely and thus snap-back more readily generating more spin.

thanks in advance...

TaihtDuhShaat
05-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I tried it and it was very unpredictable, especially on serve. groundstrokes were nice with added launch angle thus creating the illusion of more spin, maybe with some more spin as well, but the serve *first serve* lost it's accuracy. Volleys had more punch since I was using a poly cross. Maybe try it with mains 5lbs over your usual, thus the overall stringbed stiffness would be similar. I was using 55 multi/52 poly. I tried 55 multi/45 poly. Maybe if I did 60 multi/50 poly it would have been different. Try it.

scotus
05-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Yes, I do gut mains at around 70 lbs and poly crosses at around 60 lbs all the time. No problem. I don't recommend it the other way around, though.

TennisMaverick
05-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Yes, I do gut mains at around 70 lbs and poly crosses at around 60 lbs all the time. No problem. I don't recommend it the other way around, though.

Ditto....SOP

Irvin
05-10-2011, 06:02 AM
has anybody strung a racket with => 10 lbs difference?

in my quest for more spin, i am thinking of stringing my old racket with a 10 lbs difference between mains and crosses (lower by at least 10 lbs). For example, 50 lbs mains and 40 lbs crosses.

my thinking is that looser crosses will allow the mains to move more freely and thus snap-back more readily generating more spin.

thanks in advance...

If you are looking for more spin use Kevlar mains and SG crosses both at the same tension. Nothing else legal will come close. You are going to get less power though.

Irvin