PDA

View Full Version : How to get more stability on serves and volley strokes with smaller gripsize?

W.S
05-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I really prefer smaller gripssize on my groundstrokes because of my extreme western grip. I understand why Nadal uses L2 as I do because the wrist can work so much more on the heavy topspin stroke. The big issue for me is that I loses so much more stability on my serves and volley. The racquet twists alittle big and I miss the nice feeling on serves and volleys as I had with my L3.

How does Nadal get stability on his serves and volleys with his L2 and I dont? :confused:
Any advice on what I can do for the stability?

mctennis
05-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Take a couple of lessons from a club pro. He can give you sound advice while actually watching you hitting balls. Too many things we could say that may or may not help ( probably not help).

Giannis
05-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Spread your fingers more on your grip and grip it more tightly on volleys. On serves, your grip should be loose,i dont see exactly why you need stability.

scotus
05-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Spreading fingers is a good idea, but you don't want a tight grip on volleys, either.

Firm wrist, easy grip.

Just make sure you go to continental or something very close to it on volleys, rather than your usual western grip.

BobFL
05-11-2011, 05:23 AM
I really prefer smaller gripssize on my groundstrokes because of my extreme western grip. I understand why Nadal uses L2 as I do because the wrist can work so much more on the heavy topspin stroke. The big issue for me is that I loses so much more stability on my serves and volley. The racquet twists alittle big and I miss the nice feeling on serves and volleys as I had with my L3.

How does Nadal get stability on his serves and volleys with his L2 and I dont? :confused:
Any advice on what I can do for the stability?

Because he hits the sweet-spot consistently.

fuzz nation
05-11-2011, 10:10 AM
You'll probably enjoy better racquet control when hitting volleys if you choke up on your grip. It ought to become an unconscious habit whenever you move forward after you practice this for a little while. You'll probably only get your frame to resist some of that twisting in your hand from off-center hits if you stabilize it with a little 3&9 o'clock lead tape.

Generally though, if you often feel the need to use extra grip pressure to get that stability, I'd say that your grip is probably too small.

magnut
05-11-2011, 10:24 AM
my best advice is to up your grip size. This whole tiny grip fad is pretty overated IMO. Try to go to a 4 3/8.

Unless you have really small hands.

There gets a point where the grip is just too small as there is a point where its too large. Sounds like your is a little too small for your likeing. I highly doubt you will loose control on your forehand.