PDA

View Full Version : racket stability

freeez
05-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Is it possible to string your racket in such a manner whether it be by type of string or tension choice to increase racket stability?
thanks in advance

0d1n
05-12-2011, 12:52 PM
You can string lower and hence make the string bed more forgiving (bigger sweet spot, which may give you the illusion of better stability...cleaner hits), but actually increasing the inherent stability of a racquet through the strings...nope...I don't think so.

pheonix6579
05-12-2011, 02:51 PM
You can string lower and hence make the string bed more forgiving (bigger sweet spot, which may give you the illusion of better stability...cleaner hits), but actually increasing the inherent stability of a racquet through the strings...nope...I don't think so.

right on!

Why not just try out a few grams of lead at 3 and 9. if it doesnt work out just take it off.

freeez
05-12-2011, 06:02 PM
its for my young daughter, who would like some more stability from her tfight 295(she will not change it).
i've tried a couple of grams @12,10&2, and 9&3.she dislikes the extra weight even when counter balanced.
thought i could play with her string set up somehow.

sepidoel
05-13-2011, 10:20 AM
From my experience, less movement string will bring more stability. I always like full-bed multi, but I can't stand the movement which for me really screw up my shot on long rally. So far, hybrid is the answer.

freeez
05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
At present her racket is strung with sonic pro17 @58lbs. What is "less movement string...."

sepidoel
05-13-2011, 07:39 PM
After you hit a ball (especially a hard one) you will notice that your string was deteriorated (not in straight line), that what's called string movement. What I meant by "less movement string" was string combination that deteriorate less.

Having full multifilament string on a racquet (which is the softest combination) tends to have very high movement. TW professors has analyzed that because 2 multifilament string usually have very high friction coefficient.

I think I read somewhere here in TW forum that the lowest friction is on pair of nylon string (usually multifilament) and polyester string (usually monofilament). And from my experiment, using Wilson Hollow Core Pro 17 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wilson_Hollow_Core_Pro_17_String/descpageACWILSON-WHCP17.html) and Luxilon Adrenaline 17 (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Luxilon_Adrenaline_17_String/descpageACWILSON-LADR130.html) gave me the best (less) string movement.

2 cents.

freeez
05-14-2011, 03:17 AM
she uses this sonic pro because she snaps gut, multi filament and some thin poly really quickly. she has broken sonic pro only once but strings start to look like gut (all out of position within 7-9 hrs).
i understand now, thanks for your 2cents.

Povl Carstensen
05-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Lower tension will increase the sweetspot, which I think translates to better stability, but less control. The added weight of poly strings and thicker gauge adds to stability (compared to multis/thinner strings). Proportional stringing (you can do a search on this) expands the sweetspot slightly.