PDA

View Full Version : Switch or Stay?

Manus Domini
05-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Background: I was demoing the Donnay X-Orange recently and I use a Babolat Drive-Z 105 currently.

Now the question is, should I switch?

My serve is better with the Babolat, but my groundstrokes often go AWOL

My groundstrokes are better with the Donnay, but my serve isn't what it is with the Babolat, and can go AWOL

Volleys, I can do the same, don't really feel a difference in either

slices go to the Donnay by a mile

what is your opinion, as a group of racquet experts? Should I switch to the Donnay or stick with the babolat?

magnut
05-12-2011, 07:31 PM
I tell people you should only switch racquets if it gives you better feel. Power and consistancy should be obtained through proper mechanics and practice. Anything else is placebo.

I can play with anything and have all the power I need. I play with a multitude of racquets but my favorites just feel better than other. Most of the time they are the real flexible frames.

Too light and stiff can be a real issue as well for people. Especially if your getting cronic injuries.

Strings etc. just help to enhance the feel of a frame. Poly makes everything play like a walmart aluminum racquet IMO.

bertrevert
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Perennial problem - diff racquets allowing you to do diff things well.

The mutual incompatibility of them shows how racquets address different areas of the game.

Much as i cannot believe myself saying this, since serve is a significant and strong part of my game - go with the racq that gives you the groundstrokes.

As spectacular as your serve may be with the Z, serve alone won't win you the game (unless you play on fast, real grass), and as you climb level your opponent's will be getting your brilliant serves back. They just will.

That's what I've found. With serve neutralised you really have to be figuring in the rallies.

BTW if the Donnay is new to you, which perhaps as a recent model it is, then I find with new racq that the serve is the last thing to come back. You must go do buckets of balls serving with any new main squeeze if you want to hurry that process up.

Manus Domini
05-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Perennial problem - diff racquets allowing you to do diff things well.

The mutual incompatibility of them shows how racquets address different areas of the game.

Much as i cannot believe myself saying this, since serve is a significant and strong part of my game - go with the racq that gives you the groundstrokes.

As spectacular as your serve may be with the Z, serve alone won't win you the game (unless you play on fast, real grass), and as you climb level your opponent's will be getting your brilliant serves back. They just will.

That's what I've found. With serve neutralised you really have to be figuring in the rallies.

BTW if the Donnay is new to you, which perhaps as a recent model it is, then I find with new racq that the serve is the last thing to come back. You must go do buckets of balls serving with any new main squeeze if you want to hurry that process up.

So the serve is gonna catch up?

@magnut, the Donnay gives me more feel, which is why my groundstrokes are better, I think.