PDA

View Full Version : Current stick closest to LM Prestige MP

SmoothOperator
05-13-2011, 06:02 AM
About 15 minutes into my hour lesson last night I broke a string in my usual racquet (leaded Head MG Extreme MP 16x19 strung with TF BC) so I had to switch to a back-up (LM Prestige MP 18x20 strung with FXP). The instructor commented immediately that the quality of my balls were better. So I'm definitely ditching my old racquet. I would however like to get a newer version. I have the MG version (strung with PSGD)but it just feels (LM feels crisper?) and plays different (seems like easier power with LM). I haven't tried the YT version yet but it seems logical as a try. Anything else you can think of that is close to the LM Prestige MP?

ryushen21
05-13-2011, 06:10 AM
About 15 minutes into my hour lesson last night I broke a string in my usual racquet (leaded Head MG Extreme MP 16x19 strung with TF BC) so I had to switch to a back-up (LM Prestige MP 18x20 strung with FXP). The instructor commented immediately that the quality of my balls were better. So I'm definitely ditching my old racquet. I would however like to get a newer version. I have the MG version (strung with PSGD)but it just feels (LM feels crisper?) and plays different (seems like easier power with LM). I haven't tried the YT version yet but it seems logical as a try. Anything else you can think of that is close to the LM Prestige MP?

I would try the YT version if I were you.

Dekline
05-13-2011, 06:53 AM
youtek version is not even close. If you really want to get close to the feel of the "traditional" prestige you are not going to find it in the current head lineup.

I consider the LM prestige the last of the lineage. Plush feel, good flex, easy power, solid construction. No strange vibrations and random pings or buzzing.

The youteks are a little light, stiff and brassy feeling. I think of the youteks like when coca cola introduced "the new coke". A bad idea that will eventually end up back at "the origninal coke".

Put a blindfold on a person who is familiar with prestiges they would never pick up a youtek, hit it and say "thats gotta be a prestige!"....no way.

Until Head gets back to the original recipe, I would go with a wilson 6.1 18x20. Solid construction, plow, no crazy pings and vibrations. Little on the powerful side but about as close as you are going to get at this point. In my own opinion of course.

vsbabolat
05-13-2011, 07:07 AM
youtek version is not even close. If you really want to get close to the feel of the "traditional" prestige you are not going to find it in the current head lineup.

I consider the LM prestige the last of the lineage. Plush feel, good flex, easy power, solid construction. No strange vibrations and random pings or buzzing. The youteks are a little light, stiff and brassy feeling. I think of the youteks like when coca cola introduced "the new coke". A bad idea that will eventually end up back at "the origninal coke".

Put a blindfold on a person who is familiar with prestiges they would never pick up a youtek, hit it and say "thats gotta be a prestige!"....no way.

Until Head gets back to the original recipe, I would go with a wilson 6.1 18x20. Solid construction, plow, no crazy pings and vibrations. Little on the powerful side but about as close as you are going to get at this point. In my own opinion of course.

The LiquidMetal Prestige is the one that I hated. That is where they lost the plot. The LM Prestige has lots of strange vibration and a very metallic feel.

Original Coke=HEAD Prestige Pro/Prestige Classic 600 and Pro Tour 630

New Coke=HEAD LM, FXP, MG, and YT Prestige.

*The YT Prestige is much better than the LM, FXP, and MG versions but not the same as the real deal.

To the OP demo the YT Prestige MP and the YT Prestige Pro and decide for yourself.

0d1n
05-13-2011, 07:09 AM

I consider the LM prestige the last of the lineage. Plush feel, good flex, easy power, solid construction. No strange vibrations and random pings or buzzing.

The youteks are a little light, stiff and brassy feeling. I think of the youteks like when coca cola introduced "the new coke". A bad idea that will eventually end up back at "the origninal coke".

OK...so the MG or Youtek prestiges are not similar to the LM and the youtek is too light and stiff.
Fine, fair enough. Then you go and recommend a 6.1 as a LM prestige replacement ??
Are you serious ?? The 6.1's are far far stiffer than the current prestige mp's regardless of generation/"technology"...and it's anything BUT similar to the LM prestige.

goran_ace
05-13-2011, 07:12 AM
- deleted -

goran_ace
05-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Are you serious ?? The 6.1's are far far stiffer than the current prestige mp's regardless of generation/"technology"...and it's anything BUT similar to the LM prestige.

I agree w Od1n. the 6.1 feels nothing like any prestige.

OP, how much do you trust the opinions of strangers. if you know you like the LM prestige that much, why not just sell the MG and buy up a bunch of used LM prestiges?

Bhagi Katbamna
05-13-2011, 07:33 AM
I love playing with my son's Flexpoint Prestige MP.

Dekline
05-13-2011, 07:40 AM
the guy asked for an opinion, I gave mine.

6.1 does not feel that stiff, to me.

No it doesnt feel like a prestige, currently NOTHING does. Im just saying its one of the closer racquets that are in production. People pay far too much attention to stiffness ratings. Stiffness rating does not define a racquet.

Dense pattern lower stiffness rating can feel super stiff and jarring.

I dont find the lm to feel metallic. As indicated in this thread and the entire forum everyone has their own opinion. It is best to always find out for yourself. Feel is interpreted differently from one person to another.

And Od1n, to answer your two questions. Correct and yes.

dgoran
05-13-2011, 07:43 AM
The LiquidMetal Prestige is the one that I hated. That is where they lost the plot. The LM Prestige has lots of strange vibration and a very metallic feel.

Original Coke=HEAD Prestige Pro/Prestige Classic 600 and Pro Tour 630

New Coke=HEAD LM, FXP, MG, and YT Prestige.

*The YT Prestige is much better than the LM, FXP, and MG versions but not the quite the same as the real deal.

To the OP demo the YT Prestige MP and the YT Prestige Pro and decide for yourself.

I agree 100% I tried them all and LM feels just like vs described. That being said YT feels similar to me to LM version especially WO dampner lead and with certain stings.

vsbabolat
05-13-2011, 08:27 AM
I agree 100% I tried them all and LM feels just like vs described. That being said YT feels similar to me to LM version especially WO dampner lead and with certain stings.

Agree The YT Prestige is super string sensitive.

ryushen21
05-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Perhaps I should elaborate/restate my original response.

The YT will probably be the closest to what you are looking for. Is it the same, not at all. The YT is incredibly sensitive to string and tension so you will need to spend some time with it in order to find a setup that you prefer. Overall the YT is a crisp feeling frame.

I agree with what others have said in that the LM was the start of the decline of the Prestige line. The i.Prestiges and earlier models are the really great ones to get your hands on.

goran_ace
05-13-2011, 08:51 AM
wasn't trying to take a stab at you Dekline. basically what I was getting that is that the OP knows first-hand he likes the LM prestige. everyone's opinons are different. so why bother asking others for something that they think feels similar, when he can still find LM prestiges out there?

as for the six-one, I don't even know the stiffness rating on that racket, but my opinoin after hitting with it was that it had a harsh/stiff feel, very unlike any prestiges i've ever hit. i my opinion the only Wilson racket that had a 'prestige' feel to it would be the Hyper Pro Staff 6.5 but it was really light and needed some lead.

ryushen21
05-13-2011, 08:57 AM
the guy asked for an opinion, I gave mine.

6.1 does not feel that stiff, to me.

You would probably one of very few to say that. I'm not sure exactly which version of the 6.1 you are talking about but I know that for me the k6.1 made me feel like my arm was about to fall off. And that was with silicone in the handle, dampener and lead at 3 and 9. It was just a very harsh and stiff racquet

By comparison, the YT is softer but not what I would call a soft racquet either.

Irvin
05-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Compare the specs of the LM Prestige MP (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/LMP/LMPReview.html) and the Head YouTek Prestige MP (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-HYTPMP.html).

Irvin

SmoothOperator
05-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Ok, now I'm intrigued and I must find an older prestige and give it a try as well as the YT. Regarding the Wilson 6.1 18x20. I have the 16x18 and it didn't work for me.

zapvor
05-13-2011, 09:13 AM
this is all interesting. for me I like the LM best.

ryushen21
05-13-2011, 09:21 AM
this is all interesting. for me I like the LM best.

Have you played with all of them?

I rank them in this order: PC600, i.Prestige, YT, MG, LM, FXP. And I don't really like the last three much at all. I thought the FXP was terrible and least like what a Prestige should be. The PC600 and i.Prestige are sublime though.

zapvor
05-13-2011, 09:39 AM
yes but to different extents. I hit with LM the most so maybe that's why I am used to it. I like the FXP too actually. felt stiffer but still good. the MG and youtek i am not as big fan. although the youtek paintjob is sweet

Dekline
05-13-2011, 10:05 AM
You would probably one of very few to say that.

I would think quite the opposite considering how many people play with that racquet. Around here I could very well be in the minority. This is a very very very small portion of the tennis community. Outside on the courts you will rarely hear "stiff and harsh" used to describe a 6.1 95. Maybe too heavy, sluggish, doesnt feel right etc.

ryushen21
05-13-2011, 10:49 AM
I would think quite the opposite considering how many people play with that racquet. Around here I could very well be in the minority. This is a very very very small portion of the tennis community. Outside on the courts you will rarely hear "stiff and harsh" used to describe a 6.1 95. Maybe too heavy, sluggish, doesnt feel right etc.

If that is all that some people have played with or have become accustomed to, then yes, they would just say it feels normal. I know that we are a small portion of the tennis community but there are very few people who would describe a 6.1 as anything other than stiff. To say otherwise is pretty foolish IMHO.

Irvin
05-13-2011, 10:56 AM
'ryushen21' I just noticed your signature. Since you are looking for 18x20 Mid+ rackets use the racket finder (http://www.racquetfinder.com/?name=&manufacturer=&hsMin=98&hsMax=98&lMin=27&lMax=27&wMin=&wMax=&swMin=&swMax=&fMin=60&fMax=65&bpMin=&bpMax=&bwMin=&bwMax=&mains=18&crosses=20&currentcheckbox=on&current=Y&max_price=&x=59&y=16). The LM Radical MP at the top of the list is a classic frame.

Irvin

ryushen21
05-13-2011, 11:02 AM
'ryushen21' I just noticed your signature. Since you are looking for 18x20 Mid+ rackets use the racket finder (http://www.racquetfinder.com/?name=&manufacturer=&hsMin=98&hsMax=98&lMin=27&lMax=27&wMin=&wMax=&swMin=&swMax=&fMin=60&fMax=65&bpMin=&bpMax=&bwMin=&bwMax=&mains=18&crosses=20&currentcheckbox=on&current=Y&max_price=&x=59&y=16). The LM Radical MP at the top of the list is a classic frame.

Irvin

I'm actually testing 18x20 Mids...

snoflewis
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
i wouldnt say all 6.1s are stiff and harsh, but yeah, they're not the most comfortable of rackets. as for the closest racket to the lm prestige mp, i'd go with the youtek version as well. it's not as muted as the LM version, but it was the closest thing to the LM i've played in recent days.

and no, a 6.1 is nothing like a prestige. after playing w/ every version of the 16x18 6.1 and every version of the prestige mp, they're not remotely close.

snoflewis
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm actually testing 18x20 Mids...

why 18x20 and what was wrong w/ the yt?

ryushen21
05-13-2011, 11:16 AM
why 18x20 and what was wrong w/ the yt?

I'm just an 18x20 kind of guy. I don't hit huge spin and I like to flatten the ball out a lot and 18x20 just tends to be more conducive to that style of play.

There was nothing wrong with the YT at all. I think it is a great frame. I just broke down after resisting for so long and had the chance to get my hands on some good frames. I ended up liking the i.Prestige much better than the YT and now I am awaiting the Donnay Platinums because the black just wasn't my cup of tea.

hrstrat57
05-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Completely agree, but I guess some folks like "em, I still see a lot of LM Prestige MP's out there......

I thought the flexpoint was an even bigger dog.....

The i Prestige MP is the best of the recent bunch IMO but as many of you recall I gave up my quest to find a matched pair of those and went with 2 matched by TW YT Prestige MP.

I modded them only slightly with lead at 3/9 matching the weight of the Babolat leather swapped out for the stock syn grip. You can see them in the avatar to the left.

They are very, very good......strung with intellitour at 57#.

Highly recommended, but they did require the slight mod to play to my satisfaction.

If the OP likes the LM Prestige MP there are plenty of those around, I bet a new pair would not be hard to scare up......I would keep an eye on the big auction site and the for sale forum hear on TT.

Good luck!

hrstrat57
05-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Thinking a little more and back to the OP if you like the LM Prestige and it feels good to you who cares what the rest of us say?

If I had a matched pair of those modded to my satisfaction and strung up right I am certain I would be a happy camper. They have a nice paint job too, very easy on the eye.

The Liquidmetal Prestige is still a Head 18x20 MP players stick and for me the important thing is having 2 that play the same and fit my game.

Get a pair of what you want, set em up right, dial them in and go play some tennis.

I like the i Prestige and YT better but whatever......I haven't hit a Head 18x20 stick yet that I really hated, and I have hit most of them. Give me 2 that match and I would be happy.

That's my final .02!