PDA

View Full Version : Any way to build up grip without adding weight?

JackB1
05-13-2011, 07:42 AM
What is the best way to build up a 3/8 to a 1/2 without adding all the weight that a shrink sleeve does? Should I just use an extra overgrip? What does that add? About 5-7 grams? I don't want to mess with the pallet, since it's a Yonex. I would like to find something I can put or wrap on top of the grip to make it 1 size larger without adding too much extra weight. I was thinking maybe those double sided foam-type strips that 3M sells?

Anyone got any ideas?

thanks

grass_hopper
05-13-2011, 08:17 AM
best bet is over grip, it addes the least weight.
no such thing as no weight gain, this makes racquet more head light also.

JackB1
05-13-2011, 08:33 AM
best bet is over grip, it addes the least weight.
no such thing as no weight gain, this makes racquet more head light also.

Which overgrips are the lightest?

magnut
05-13-2011, 09:02 AM
I would punch hole in the grip sleeve before you shink it. That sould get you half way there. You could pull some weight off the butt cap. Maybe go with a little lighter grip/overgrip combo.

I tend to just put the shrink sleeve on and bring all the other racquets up to that spec. Does it make a difference if one racquet is 10 grams heavier in the handle.........not a real huge noticable difference when your life is on the line or your trying to win a tournament with $100,000 prizes winnings.

Its fun to tinker with this stuff though. But I wouldnt stress over it. If your going to use a build up sleeve (I do all the time) make sure you get a 4 1/2 size butt cap. Another good tip is...once you have the grip and butt cap stripped down spray some liquid adhesive on the handle.

Irvin
05-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I would punch hole in the grip sleeve before you shink it. That sould get you half way there...

You would have to punch an awful lot of holes to get rid of half the weight. Overgrips are only going to build up your grip about 1/16 so you would need two to go from 3/8 to 1/2. Then you will have the same weight as a heat shrink tube. You could add just a half tube in the lower portion of the racket where you dominate hand holds the racket.

You could also cut an overgrip cut into a 1/2" strip and wind it opposite your grip wrap direction with no overlap. Maybe even a small gap. Two of those will build it up. Then if you leave a small gap between the overgrip the replacement grip may even it all out. If you don't go up too far this should do the trick with the lightest weight.

Irvin

magnut
05-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Gause tape works pretty well to. I dont know what kind of weight you would be looking at. If you do this and have any overlap you can use a steam iron and it will both flatten and harden it out and keep your bevels nice and sharp. I have done this over top of leather grips in the past and it works great. Never weighed it after the fact though. I would gues it would be lighter as the unique gauze tape is sort of a mesh type material.

olliess
05-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Seems like a half-size shrinkwrap + overgrip is easier to maintain than two overgrips and less trouble than multiple wrap layers, and it would only be a couple ounces heavier in the handle than the multiple layers.

Or, if you like the double-overgrip feeling, you could try a WHATaGRIP (slip-on overgrip) as the "base" layer.

magnut
05-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Seems like a half-size shrinkwrap + overgrip is easier to maintain than two overgrips and less trouble than multiple wrap layers, and it would only be a couple ounces heavier in the handle than the multiple layers.

Or, if you like the double-overgrip feeling, you could try a WHATaGRIP (slip-on overgrip) as the "base" layer.

Oh I forgot about whatagrip. Those were neat. Nice original concept. I need to order a few of those. I remember I tried one in high school and I like it.

JackB1
05-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Oh I forgot about whatagrip. Those were neat. Nice original concept. I need to order a few of those. I remember I tried one in high school and I like it.

Do they still sell those? I would think one of those "whatagrips" would weigh more than an extra overgrip???

JackB1
05-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Gause tape works pretty well to. I dont know what kind of weight you would be looking at. If you do this and have any overlap you can use a steam iron and it will both flatten and harden it out and keep your bevels nice and sharp. I have done this over top of leather grips in the past and it works great. Never weighed it after the fact though. I would gues it would be lighter as the unique gauze tape is sort of a mesh type material.

You think guaze tape weighs less than overgrip? I might give that a try.
You mean just the run of the mill johnson and johnson type they sell in the supermarket in the bandaid aisle?

JackB1
05-13-2011, 11:02 AM
You could also cut an overgrip cut into a 1/2" strip and wind it opposite your grip wrap direction with no overlap. Maybe even a small gap. Two of those will build it up. Then if you leave a small gap between the overgrip the replacement grip may even it all out. If you don't go up too far this should do the trick with the lightest weight.
Irvin

Irvin, you always think "out of the box" :)

A base overgrip wrapped in the opposite direction with a gap, would lessen the overall weight and would still maintain the same thickness if your next overgrip on top of that goes "accross" it in the usual direction.

magnut
05-13-2011, 11:04 AM
You think guaze tape weighs less than overgrip? I might give that a try.
You mean just the run of the mill johnson and johnson type they sell in the supermarket in the bandaid aisle?

I dont know I never weighed it after putting it on. I am just saying its less dense. The difference would probably be pretty small.

The Gauze tape I am speaking of from experience is sold at unique sports. I think they sell the whatagrips too. I am not sure if TW carries this stuff. There is probably not a big enough demand for it.

anyways...both are good products. I am not sure you can find an equivilant at a drug store. Gauze tape has a tackiness to it and the density is not like athletic tape. Its similar to Gauze but the tackiness helps to mold it. People used to use it as an overgrip back in the old days.

Hominator
05-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Do they still sell those? I would think one of those "whatagrips" would weigh more than an extra overgrip???

Whatagrips totally kill bevel feel, FYI.

sepidoel
05-13-2011, 11:08 AM
There are some suggestions using tapes (athletic tape is a good choice) under the base grip. For me since that's too troublesome, I just put 2 overgrips with notes on the first layer grip:
1. Apply without any overlapping because overlap will make final grip quite messy, yet slightly add more grams.
2. Try to have hard and thick one (I assume no overgrip is thicker than base grip), because double overgrip will make your grip very soft and thin overgrip won't affect much.

Then the second (outer) grip is applied in normal way.

So far, my 4 1/4 feels close to 4 3/8, but still there's difference.

2 cents.

magnut
05-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Whatagrips totally kill bevel feel, FYI.

I never had that problem. I use leather though. Fluffy grips are like a sweat sponge for me.

JackB1
05-13-2011, 11:42 AM
1. Apply without any overlapping because overlap will make final grip quite messy, yet slightly add more grams.
2. Try to have hard and thick one (I assume no overgrip is thicker than base grip), because double overgrip will make your grip very soft and thin overgrip won't affect much.

What's a hard and thick overgrip?

Irvin
05-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Heat shrink. Use a half size over your replacement grip and your favorite overgrip on top of that. If you just use a half length of that you will have lower weight.

Irvin

Irvin
05-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Also since you are adding weight to the handle and not the head of the racket any weight you add will not be as noticeable. I would just add a heat shrink tube and not worry about the weight. That is unless you have another racket and you want to keep them matched up. Then there are ways to change that too.

Irvin

magnut
05-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Also since you are adding weight to the handle and not the head of the racket any weight you add will not be as noticeable. I would just add a heat shrink tube and not worry about the weight. That is unless you have another racket and you want to keep them matched up. Then there are ways to change that too.

Irvin

Listen to Irvin

sepidoel
05-13-2011, 08:56 PM

I never thought that would give naughty impression. :oops:

What I wanted to say is that try to find an overgrip that is not too soft that will make the final grip too cushiony (except if you like it that way), and because overgrip is usually very thin that makes little change, having thick overgrip is preferable. I can't recommend any brand (there're too many on my place), but it seems cheap overgrip that isn't quite elastic will do the trick.

I never use heat-shrink as a grip before, but I think it's worth try.

namui
05-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Balsa wood (1 mm thick) will be the lightest that's workable, as far as I tried. The grip size will be slightly larger than 1/8" up though. An additional benefit is the sharper edge than overgrip (which you normally need two layers for 1/8" larger size).

Ronaldo
05-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Balsa wood (1 mm thick) will be the lightest that's workable, as far as I tried. The grip size will be slightly larger than 1/8" up though. An additional benefit is the sharper edge than overgrip (which you normally need two layers for 1/8" larger size).

Easily the best solution for a grip that is better than the original pallet. Sharper bevels and more comfort.

goran_ace
05-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Also since you are adding weight to the handle and not the head of the racket any weight you add will not be as noticeable.

Agreed. The change in static weight/swingweight will not be a big deal.

vsdtrek
05-14-2011, 05:58 AM
I just bought a Yonex and changed the grip to a Gamma Hi Tech. That increased the size over the stock Yonex grip. I swear that Yonex grip is the thinnest one I've ever seen - I replaced one once with a Babolat Skin Feel and the Skin Feel felt larger.

JackB1
05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
I just bought a Yonex and changed the grip to a Gamma Hi Tech. That increased the size over the stock Yonex grip. I swear that Yonex grip is the thinnest one I've ever seen - I replaced one once with a Babolat Skin Feel and the Skin Feel felt larger.

Were u able to remove the Yonex grip easily? I heard they were a huge pain to remove.

Torres
05-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Listen to Irvin

Er, don't listen to Irvin.

Adding 22g in the handle makes an enormous difference to the way that the racquet feels, balances and swings. If I added that amount of weight to my 6.1 95, it would be unplayable. It just wouldn't feel right, the balance would be all wrong, and the head would feel too loose through the swing. Counterbalancing simply wouldn't be an option as the racquet would end up feeling like a overweight log of wood with the wrong sort of weight distribution.

The only way you could get away with adding 22g in the handle of a racquet is if you had an ultra light racquet to begin with and which you could +22g and then counterbalance.

JackB1
05-14-2011, 12:24 PM
I actually added a Wilson overgrip, which only weighed 3 grams.

VGP
05-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Sell your racket(s) and buy it(them) in a larger grip size.

Not the cheapest, but the best solution.

vsdtrek
05-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Were u able to remove the Yonex grip easily? I heard they were a huge pain to remove.

It did come off pretty good and quickly.

I have had some in the past that were a mess but perhaps that was because they were a bit older.

goran_ace
05-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Sell your racket(s) and buy it(them) in a larger grip size.

Not the cheapest, but the best solution.

If you do go this route, keep in mind that some small shops only keep 4 3/8 in inventory and if you want anything bigger they just add a sleeve. So if you are going to buy from one of those places make sure to ask if they do that.