PDA

View Full Version : Remove part of the grip to decrease racquet weight ?

Alain
05-14-2011, 10:47 AM
To return to the same weight, balance, swingweight 4 rackets by keeping the ideal weight of the lighter, I would know if it is possible to remove the upper part of the grip (say 1/3 this would approximately 5 g) of the heaviest racquet?
With a surgrip, it is not embarrassing if you are a one hand backhand player .
Is there any inconvenient to do this outside to modify the balance and very slightly the swingweight of the heaviest racquet (vibrations? ...anything else ?) ?
Then, lead tape can be used to make the racquets equal .

Thanks

tpt74tx
05-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah, it can be done, I remember Alex Corretja doing something like that. Otherwise, you can change the original grip and use a lighter one, it would have the same effect.

Shangri La
05-24-2011, 11:16 AM
I do that, too. Usually when I use a leather grip and dont want that extra weight.

hescobal
05-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I do this to save weight and since I also use a 1hbh. I don't use over grips, I just split the replacement grip in half and get 2 times the use out of one replacement grip

goran_ace
05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Alex Corretja wrapped his tournagrip halfway up, not the underlying leather grip itself. I don't think it had anything to do with weight/balance and was more likely that he preferred his tournagrip to be wrapped thicker.

TimothyO
05-24-2011, 05:02 PM
I do this and have a 1HBH. I use colored electrical tape to cover the exposed handle.

For example, I replaced my PSLGT's leather grip with a shortened black Skin Feel and used bands of black, white, and red electrical tape to cover the handle. Both the change in grip material and length provided extra room for customization.