PDA

View Full Version : Head Youtek Speed for beginners?

Whoaness
05-14-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm running with a Head LM Radical Midplus, but I feel like getting a backup in case I break mine.

Is the Youtek Speed 18x20, that's on sale, not suited for a beginner? The specs look similar, but I'm not too familiar with what makes an advanced racquet aside from head size.

5imon
05-14-2011, 05:32 PM
well, I have never try the MG Radical but I believe speed is a bit heavier. And I also found adding 4g at 3&9 give my speed more plow through. I will suggest you demo the racket first, see if you can handle the extra weight:)

Whoaness
05-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Hmm I guess it is quite a bit heavier.

parasailing
05-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I still think you should give it a shot, just demo it from TW and see if you like it. Beginners shouldn't be afraid to use slightly heavier racquet so it forces you to improve your form. Don't use those tweener racquets that mask a lot of bad form and technique unless you want to take a long time to improve. I just see too many people on the courts thinking they are really getting better when it is the racquet that is masking all the bad techniques.

Just avoid the Head Speed Pro, that one is requires good form otherwise, you won't be able to wield it.

Spin-A-Lot
05-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Just avoid the Head Speed Pro, that one is requires good form otherwise, you won't be able to wield it.

I second that! Very punishing racquet if there ever was one...

Whoaness
05-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I still think you should give it a shot, just demo it from TW and see if you like it. Beginners shouldn't be afraid to use slightly heavier racquet so it forces you to improve your form. Don't use those tweener racquets that mask a lot of bad form and technique unless you want to take a long time to improve. I just see too many people on the courts thinking they are really getting better when it is the racquet that is masking all the bad techniques.

Oh, I can't demo since I live in Canada.

But, I should be switching to a heavier racquet someday. I'll probably get another Head LM Radical because I'm seriously thrashing my racquet too much and don't want to stop playing tennis because I relied on a single racquet.

flashfire276
05-14-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm running with a Head LM Radical Midplus, but I feel like getting a backup in case I break mine.

Is the Youtek Speed 18x20, that's on sale, not suited for a beginner? The specs look similar, but I'm not too familiar with what makes an advanced racquet aside from head size.

It's a bit hefty and a little less underpowered. The LM Rad has a lot of power to start with, so your strokes gotta be a bit more formed for that. It's not suggested for beginners at all. But since you play with a Rad, you can at least handle it. But try to look into the 16x19 version, because there's a bit more free pop and spin on that.
Also, look into the Youtek Speed Elite. It may not be as heavy or as control-oriented as the other Speeds, but it was my favorite one out of them. For a racquet like that, it was amazing how it felt for something so maneuverable. Great racquet as a backup, or even as your main one. Also a great idea to use to customize to your best specs.

Irakli
05-15-2011, 03:24 AM
Please don’t take it as an offence, but specs look different: weight, balance, swingweight, head size, beam width, all are different. Plus, the speed line racquets have that rounder shaped heads (which is matter of personal preference). If you are looking for a backup for LM Radical, why don’t you go for MG Radical? Now these 2 are similar, and IMHO MG Radical is much more forgiving stick, it’s not that heavy and it’s much flexier.

Just my opinion.

Irakli

Satch
05-15-2011, 03:59 AM
Oh, I can't demo since I live in Canada.

But, I should be switching to a heavier racquet someday. I'll probably get another Head LM Radical because I'm seriously thrashing my racquet too much and don't want to stop playing tennis because I relied on a single racquet.

don't be afraid of less power, you can string closer to 50 to get power, and you have nice choice of strings that have lot of power.

for weight it all depends on your physical predisposition. 335g strung isn't so big. I play with 360 myself and it makes me less tired than lighter racq, cause the mass works for me.

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-15-2011, 04:39 AM
i found i had a lot of arm issues with the Speed MP, something I have neer had before and have not had since switching to a flexier racquet (bio 200 and bio 300)
just a word of warning, although I am sure other people have had happier experiences.

I will say I never hit the ball better than with the Speed MP, but my arm fell apart...

hrstrat57
05-15-2011, 05:01 AM

Get a couple more LM Rads......good stick, still avail new cheap right here at TW I think......if not other Canadian sellers should have them.....search.

Whoaness
05-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I think I will get one, and Djokovic's racquet for a more weighty one. Thanks all.

Whoaness
05-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Whoops. Ugh, can't edit.

I forgot Djokovic is playing with the Youtek IG speed.

flashfire276
05-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Whoops. Ugh, can't edit.

I forgot Djokovic is playing with the Youtek IG speed.

Under that IG Speed PJ, he's playing something similar to a Radical MP mold you know. Forgot the exact racquet code.

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Under that IG Speed PJ, he's playing something similar to a Radical MP mold you know. Forgot the exact racquet code.

I don't think anyone knows exactly what it is, but it sure isn't a speed, look at the beam!

thug the bunny
05-16-2011, 10:39 AM

Totally agree. I had a LM Rad MP, and probably never would have made any progress if I had kept it. Luckily, I was curious about "player's sticks", and wow, what a difference! However, they DON'T magically improve your ball striking. What they do is make you very aware of when you don't strike the ball well, which is the feedback you need to develop good technique.

Bab PSL, KPS88, and PK Redondo C93.

eidolonshinobi
05-16-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't think anyone knows exactly what it is, but it sure isn't a speed, look at the beam!

Marketing :/