PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop aerogel 500 Tour series 4d, Original

The Baseline
05-14-2011, 06:03 PM
anyone play this? why dont i see more and more of these frames around? this frame is comparable to the babolat aeropro drive, and some find it better.
if you have used this raquet give a review of the pros and cons.

TheBoom
05-14-2011, 06:40 PM
I have the 4d version. I loved the insane angles that i could hit with that racket. I was able to take my opponents off the court on either side very easily. My backhand was supurb with this thing as well. The down side is that it doesn't flatten a ball out very well on approach shots and i found the power to be a problem on the return of serve as well. But all in all great and i think a better alternative to the aero pro drive

The Baseline
05-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I have the 4d version. I loved the insane angles that i could hit with that racket. I was able to take my opponents off the court on either side very easily. My backhand was supurb with this thing as well. The down side is that it doesn't flatten a ball out very well on approach shots and i found the power to be a problem on the return of serve as well. But all in all great and i think a better alternative to the aero pro drive

its amazing to see half the world using the aeroprodrive and just shoving the aerogel 500 tour aside. it just depresses me.

TheBoom
05-14-2011, 06:47 PM
It is a sad thing but the thing is that not many people know about dunlop to be honest, Most rec players at least. I was the first to use a dunlop on my high school team ever and everyone was asking "where did you get that piece of crap from?" then i beat them and they tried it and thought it was a nice stick and one of my buds uses a 200 now so i think its a marketing thing

The Baseline
05-14-2011, 06:51 PM
It is a sad thing but the thing is that not many people know about dunlop to be honest, Most rec players at least. I was the first to use a dunlop on my high school team ever and everyone was asking "where did you get that piece of crap from?" then i beat them and they tried it and thought it was a nice stick and one of my buds uses a 200 now so i think its a marketing thing

dunlop has the best quality control. it shows how much people buy into a certain southpaw from malluca using that frame and not caring about the quality of the product being manufactured.

TheBoom
05-14-2011, 06:55 PM
yes that is true. I love dunlop frames and the only other frames that can compare are HEAD rackets but even then it depends (never had a problem with HEAD QC)

The Baseline
05-15-2011, 05:49 AM
yes that is true. I love dunlop frames and the only other frames that can compare are HEAD rackets but even then it depends (never had a problem with HEAD QC)

true, i just wonder why more pros dont take a look at dunlops tremendous molds. A lot of their stock frames like the aerogel 500 tour are just incredible for power,spin, and control.

prjacobs
05-15-2011, 08:17 AM

I also found the 4D 500 tour much better than the APD. However, it ultimately hurt my shoulder so I'm moving on. For me, it was a natural fit, even coming from an almost 13 ounce frame.
Definitely worth a demo for anyone interested in the APD, PD or PDR.

Steve Huff
05-15-2011, 06:46 PM
I had a couple of the original 500 Tours. They were definitely stiff. The open string pattern created a lot of spin. My oponents (which I play regularly) noticed it immediately. The serves had a lot of movement on them too. Ultimately, they were a little too stiff for my arm, even with a gut/multi hybrid. QC was great. I may try the 300, or even the 200, sometime, as they are more flexible.

Squidward
05-16-2011, 12:07 AM
I know a couple guys who chose the original 500 Tour over the APD and have never looked back.

I string for both of them with a Poly/Syn Gut hybrid. (total of 5 racquets). They seem very pleased with the performance.

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-16-2011, 12:38 AM
I have a bio 500 Tour, its great, but hard on teh arm as well. I play with bio 200s most of teh time but I bring out the 500 Tour for doubles a bit..

SteveI
05-16-2011, 02:45 AM

I also played both for a while. The QC is excellent. The frame is stiff to be sure but did not cause me arm problems (note: no frame ever has). I am more of a flat ball hitter and the frame did not match up well for me off the ground. The serve was outstanding as were volleys. Bottom line.. a bit too much power for a flat hitter. In the hands of the right player.. a monster. Price/performace is excellent.

Steve