PDA

View Full Version : Searching for the Perfect Racquet

ayuehfl
05-14-2011, 08:35 PM
So I'm looking into buying a new racquet because the current one I have now is causing elbow problems. I have narrowed these choices down to...
Wilson BLX Pro Open
Babolat Pure Storm GT
Wilson BLX Six.One 18x20
Wilson BLX Six.One 16x18
Head YOUTEK Radical Midplus
I play with a heavy kick serve while mixing in flat and slices to keep the opponent guessing. My forehand has a medium amount of topspin while my one-handed backhand is more flat. I will be using a polyester and multifilament hybrid or a full bed of a soft polyester. Please post your opinions on each! Thanks!

The Baseline
05-14-2011, 08:38 PM
BLX Pro OPEN!!!!!!!!

prjacobs
05-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Personally, I'd forget the wilsons if you're having elbow problems.

ayuehfl
05-14-2011, 09:14 PM
It's not really an elbow problem... I'm just starting to feel a few slight twinges now and then. My current racquet, the Dunlop M-Fil 200, has a hollow beam which may be causing it. Forgot to say that I'm an aggressive player that will approach on short balls.

magnut
05-15-2011, 03:16 AM
It's not really an elbow problem... I'm just starting to feel a few slight twinges now and then. My current racquet, the Dunlop M-Fil 200, has a hollow beam which may be causing it. Forgot to say that I'm an aggressive player that will approach on short balls.

You need to dump the poly before you wreck your elbow.

Personally I would not rule out pro kennex If I were getting new frames. "Players" racquets are not what they used to be.

TheBoom
05-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Pure storm gt tours would be good if you can handle the swing weight

GS
05-15-2011, 07:12 AM
Demo demo demo, with TW's demo program. It'll probably save you alot of time and money in the long run.

Staarr
05-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Don't use the poly's with any elbow problems, even just twinges. It can go downhill very quickly! Stick with natural gut or multi's. I've had elbow problems for the past year and it started with using poly's. Try WeissCannon Explosiv! or Signum Pro Micronite. Pro Kennex makes great arm friendly racquets - I have two and just bought the Prince EXO3 Tour Team.

ayuehfl
05-15-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm still only a high school player and I don't own a stringing machine. Natural gut is waaay too expensive for me.

Staarr
05-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes, gut is expensive but so is the doctor when you have to fix tennis elbow...maybe your parents will help....or try some good multi's...$13-16.

ayuehfl
05-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Would a soft polyester with a multifilament cross be okay?

TheBoom
05-15-2011, 05:34 PM

A hybrid is a great choice and multi is fine as well. If you do choose a hybrid string slightly lower if your elbow twinges a little

Staarr
05-15-2011, 05:40 PM
No polys if you have twinges! Tourna Quasi Gut is 9.95, WeissCannon Explosiv! 13.50, both would work until your arm is healed. If you're buying a new racquet, go for low flex and string right. The strings are the most important thing in my opinion. I just bought a Prince EXO3 Tour Team and think it's going to be really arm friendly -

ProgressoR
05-17-2011, 07:25 AM
if you even have twinges seriously consider stop using poly and look at more flexy rackets, you cannot be too careful when it comes to your elbow. I had something similar and switched to the rebel tour and PSGD, its a much more comfy set up, and fixed my dodgy backhand that caused it.

KenC
05-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Pure storm gt tours would be good if you can handle the swing weight

+1 It is similar to the wilson 95's but more flexible and less jarring on off-center hits.

+1 on getting off the polys. Nothing but trouble. A decent, soft multi will make a big difference on the arm and shoulder.

tnsanydy
05-17-2011, 12:28 PM

I play with Wilson Prostaff 6.1 95 for years and occassionally hit with Fed's Wilson BLX six.one tour and uses the cheapest string in the market, Gamma syn gut w/ WearGuard 17 and is a winner on my hand with no wrist or tennis elbow problems. You can have the most expensive strings in your racket but not knowing how well you hit with it is a futile search. It's a combination of string tension and how you set up your shots. First, if your racket is heavy enough, it already have the power built in to it, so you have to find the right balance on your tension so it's not too loose where it's overpowering and not too tight where your shots are landing short and is hard on your elbow. Also, most causes of tennis elbow is hitting the ball late where your arm is not fully extended or a little bent. You and your racket have a very personal relationship that changing from one to another does not necessarily be a quick fix for your problems. :)