PDA

View Full Version : Replacing standard grip

TennisMD
05-15-2011, 01:43 PM
In the conventional way I measure 4 1/2 for handle size. A teaching pro clued me into the fact and also discussed here of down sizing ie from 1/2 to 3/8 for more whip and effective serving, the pros do this. So have two blx 95 and you all know the cost has anybody removed the standard grip and just replaced it with a thin overgrip, issues arm safety and playability

Hominator
05-15-2011, 01:49 PM
In the conventional way I measure 4 1/2 for handle size. A teaching pro clued me into the fact and also discussed here of down sizing ie from 1/2 to 3/8 for more whip and effective serving, the pros do this. So have two blx 95 and you all know the cost has anybody removed the standard grip and just replaced it with a thin overgrip, issues arm safety and playability

You may want to try replacing your original grip with a Babolat Skin Feel grip, which should reduce your grip size by about a half.

TennisMD
05-15-2011, 01:54 PM
You may want to try replacing your original grip with a Babolat Skin Feel grip, which should reduce your grip size by about a half.

Thanks for the tip

tampa_edski
05-15-2011, 01:55 PM
not sure what can be done to reduce the size of a grip, but I imagine it means removeing some material. so the result is notgoing to be precisely the same geometry.

the medical effect of a smaller grip is more stress on your forearm - you have to grip it tighter. for some folks that can lead to TE.

I have an old Prince Tri-comp 90 that is a stock 4 1/4, it's built up a bit to probably a little over 4 1/2. I also use a Wilson K 6.1 95, that's a stock 4 3/8...and it seems pretty close to that (It's certainly a little smaller than the TriComp). I don't notice much of a difference in the way my elbow/forearm feels playing either. The Prince is a little "looser" with regard to the shape - the remnant whattagrip and the overgrip leaves it more round, but I still find my way around it - I've never had a problem finding the grip I am aiming for.

I suppose if someone used some shop tools (like a planer) to remove some plastic from the handle base you could end up with a very squared result...