PDA

View Full Version : How to Replace Racquet Butt Cap?

myservenow
05-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Are butt caps attached to the handle with a staple, or glued, or what?

I have a wiggle in the butt cap of my Head Pro Tour 280 MP. I assume the butt cap is cracked and needs replacing. I don't want to take the grip apart until I know what type of job is required. Any help?

Also, if I get the butt cap off and discover that the handle material underneath the butt cap is the problem, i.e., cracked, broken, is there anyway to get the actual handle material fixed?

Thanks in advance.

goran_ace
05-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Typically stapled, but you can glue it as an alternative if you don't have access to a staple gun or tacker (if you are going to glue it use something extremely strong/secure like epoxy).

Have you recently hit the butt cap/handle against the court lately? Unless there is some sort of hard impact like that I wouldn't expect that you would have anything cracked/broken and it might just be a case of the staples coming loose. Staple into a fresh area of the foam or plastic pallet and you should be fine.

myservenow
05-16-2011, 08:14 AM
I haven't removed the grip yet to get to the bottom of the problem. I am waiting on my replacement grip and butt cap to arrive before I mess up the racquet by taking the grip apart.

The racquet is now 17 years old and this is the original butt cap. I am hoping the the staple is loose or the butt cap is cracked. I am hoping it is not a problem with the foam/plastic of the handle.

Thanks for your help.

myservenow
05-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Ok, just to follow up for reference for the next person that comes searching for info on replacing a butt cap. For those experienced in such matters, this may seem trivial. However, as I had never replaced a butt cap or original grip for that matter, I was quite worried that I would mess it up.

I got my replacement HEAD butt cap in the mail which was a much different version that the one on my racquet. Removed the old grip without any trouble. The original butt cap was stapled as expected and was not cracked or damaged. Perhaps one of the staples was started to loosen. Other than that, it was in fine shape.

Nevertheless, I proceeded to remove the staples and had to use pliers to remove the butt cap.

The plastic handle underneath the butt cap was also in great shape. I decided to use some epoxy recommended for plastics to secure the new butt cap. It slid on relatively easy, but I hit it against a hard surface a few times to make sure it was on securely. After drying, I put two staples from a staple gun on the new butt cap. Easier than even this simple explanation.

I was also very pleased with just how easy it was to replace the original grip. I used one of the newer Head grips. It had sort of a "guide" which I followed to make sure I didn't overlap too much. Very helpful.

So, this is a very simple procedure as even I performed it with no troubles.