PDA

View Full Version : Racket weight question - Babolat AeroPro

NateDogg
05-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Hi,

I'm currently looking into the Babolat AeroPro Drive as a replacement for my Wilson n-sixtwo, which I've used for a number of years. As the specs are almost identical (100sq in, 27 in. length, etc.) the only issue is the weight; the Wilson is 284g, whereas the AeroPro comes in at 300g or 320g.

The 320g is half the price of the 300g model, which is highly preferable financially (I'm an English University student/team player and I don't really have 130 to spend on one new racket), but I'm concerned that the extra 36g would affect my game too much. I've developed physically somewhat since I started using the lightweight Wilsons - I've always had lightweight rackets, I had the Triad 3 and the hyper Hammer 6.2 before the nCode.

I'd like to say my style is like Nadal without the muscles (haha I wish) I play mainly from the baseline with a lot of topspin, and I'm very quick but not naturally powerful - hence my worry of getting a heavier control racket.

Any help would be much appreciated.

tennisfanireland94
05-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm in a similar situation, I've developed quite a lot since I started using a Head Youtek Speed lite, and am currently thinking of changing to the AeroPro Drive. However, as you said, I am slightly apprehensive as it's much heavier than my current one.

Sorry I couldn't help more, just letting you know I'm in a similar position :)

NateDogg
05-16-2011, 03:29 PM
No worries mate, I thought I'm come here and ask the informed tennis world before I pestered my team mates to borrow their heavy rackets and test them out. I'm revising for exams and I just don't have the time to do that just now! It's worth finding out cos I saw the AeroPro for 66 which is a steal.

user92626
05-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Buy the apd 320g one.

Like you I initially found it heavy and causing me late and I also bought a ntour95 (similar to ntour2) for replacement, but I improved my technique in no time and find the racket (apd) isn't heavy at all. Your technique would likely overcome 36 gr different in no time.

On other handthere are tons of positives about this apd over its brothers. Its extremely popular and retains resell value very well. And it's cool to have the world's #1 promoting it. And did you say it's 1/2 the price of the other one? Dammmnn, get two! :)

btw, 320 strung weight is very general. You can add 17g string, replace with 2 overgrips and the racket practically weighs around 312! You'd have to swing your arm off to get the power you need. I know I do.

NateDogg
05-16-2011, 04:18 PM
cheers for the great advice! If there's no hurry to buy on the site then I'll test out a 320g racket at the weekend just to be sure. Also, just did some research into The APD GT vs the APD Cortex. Looks like the Cortex hands down.