PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Advice...

TennisNewb
05-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Alright guys. I'm a 3.5 baseliner. I'll come to the net when I need to but I'm not very confident in my volleys, i'm working on it though.
I use a semi western fh grip and a windshield wiper motion and hit plenty of topspin. I like to take big cuts at the ball. My bh is a 2hbh and it's flatter than my forehand.

My current stick is a Babolat APDGT.
Dislikes: Not as stable at the net and my shots seem to be a little bit "Loopy" instead of more "penetrating" or "heavy"

I have hit with my friends BLX 6.1 95 a good bit and like the heavier ball but I'm afraid that I couldn't lug that thing around for an entire match.

I would like to bump up to around 11.8 ounces as opposed to the 11.3 I'm at now.

I'm looking to demo the:
Yonex V-Core 95d
BLX Pro Tour
Head YTPP
Head YTRP

Are there any others I should consider?

Also is the heavier overall weight of the racquet going to give me more of a "heavy" ball or is it more swingweight? Or another spec or combination of them?

Thanks for any advice :)

parasailing
05-17-2011, 10:33 AM
I would also Pure Storm Tour GT to your demo list. If you want to drive the ball, the Yonex Vcore both the 95 and 98 are good choices but it might not suite your current playing style as it is more for flat hitters or those that drive the ball instead of brushing up on the ball.

In order to penetrate the ball with the APDC GT, you are going to have to generate more racquet speed to brush up at the ball so you can generate that heavy topspin you so desire.

TennisNewb
05-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm not saying I have picture perfect technique but it accomplishes the topspin I want but I think the lack of mass doesn't allow for the plowthrough like the heavier 6.1 does. I use the same stroke and the balls do completely different things

fuzz nation
05-17-2011, 01:35 PM
I know the feeling in terms of a racquet being "heavy enough" to be stable and also work the ball well with a natural stroke. I don't think it's always an option to simply swing faster and still have a good stroke. As I understand it, we typically settle in on a swing tempo and even if we pick up a lighter or heavier frame, we still execute the same swing tempo unless we re-learn the stroke technique over the long term that allows for a different rate of swing.

The thing about a heavier racquet is that it can potentially do more work for you, but that also depends on your swing. Even if you take up with a heavier frame, you should expect to need a bit of time to adjust your habits so that the timing of your setup or stroke isn't late to the ball. Get it around on time and you won't necessarily need a whole lot of racquet speed to thump the ball nicely if the racquet is carrying extra inertia to contact. This is probably what you experienced with the BLX 6.1 95. For the record, I still enjoy my old 6.1 Classics, especially for heavy doubles action, partly because their stability gives me so much authority around the net.

I say try out some heavier racquets and don't be afraid of something like that BLX 6.1. It's certainly possible to put in a little work and get used to the different timing needed to use it or some other frames weighing even beyond 12.0 oz. Aside from their static weights, I encourage you to also keep track of the balance and flex among the options you look at. A heavier racquet will have some more pop to it, but if it also has some extra flex, that can give you stability along with control over your strokes. I get more control at the baseline with my softer Volkl C10's for example.

With enough head-light balance, a heavier frame will also be relatively easy to maneuver, especially up at the net. With its extra pop, a racquet like that BLX 6.1 just needs to get behind the ball so it can do its impression of a brick wall. A lighter racquet just isn't the same in that role, at least for me.

Keep notes on the observations you make with your demos. They may come in handy down the road when you need to refer back to your test drives and figure out what works best for you (in terms of static weight, balance, and flex).