PDA

View Full Version : Lead Tape 9&3 o'clock för twisting racquet?

W.S
05-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I have changed gripsize one down to 1/4 which feels great on my groundstrokes but it twists alot on volleys. I can hit volleys but I have to hold it much harder to not twist. I feel the same in the serve. Building up gripsize alittle bit doesnt help the twisting and my groundstrokes affects really bad.

Should I try lead tape on 9&3 o'clock and how much grams do I need? I dont want the racquet to become so heavy because I like the light feel on groundstrokes?

Or should I try something else?

Please help me out!!!

AceServer
05-17-2011, 04:36 PM
What do you mean by twisting? You mean it can't absorb the shock and spins?

BobFL
05-17-2011, 05:42 PM
You need some time to make the transition to smaller grip. It twists because you are not hitting the sweet-spot consistently. Lead tape won't help imo.

BRIANWILSON38
05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
lead tape at 3 and 9 should add some stability, but you have to find the right combination so that you find your stability but dont make it so heavy that it affects your groundstrokes

fuzz nation
05-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Try a few grams of the stuff at 3&9 o'clock and see how that feels. No more than two or three inches of the 1/8" lead tape on the edges to start out. It's not permanent and if it doesn't work, you can add a little more or just peel it off if you don't like it.

You might also want to check your racquet's balance point before you add any lead tape. If you get the stability feeling great, but the hoop feels heavier and slower, you might want to consider "counter-balancing" by adding some lead under your grip to get the balance back to where you had it in the stock layout.

Irvin
05-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Mats Wilander likes a more rectangular grip. You may want to try to modify the girp like he does to get a better grip on the racket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxlWjgCXBa8

Irvin

goran_ace
05-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Don't expect the lead to make that much of a difference. The word stability is being thrown around a lot here, but there's a difference between stabilizing the head/frame and stabilizing your wrist. Adding mass at 9 and 3 will stabilize the head a bit on of center hits, but your wrist is still not stabilized. Back in my high school/junior days there was a fad where people were going up a grip size or two because it gave you more wrist stability. These days you see full grown adults trying out 4 1/4, I remember 10-15 years ago when teenage kids were trying out 4 1/2-4 5/8.

What you should be doing to stabilize your wrist on volleys is to squeeze your grip. Don't give it the death-grip and hold it that way the whole time, just give it a gentle squeeze on contact wit hthe ball on the volley. If you do that in the air right now with no racket in your hand, start from a relaxed position, and then when you squeeze lightly look what it does to your hand/wrist.