PDA

View Full Version : Fischer M-Pro 1 no. 98 - what is this thing?

Charles
05-17-2011, 07:00 PM
I broke a string today and had to go rummaging around in my coach's car for a racquet (he also had a Wilson T-2000 but I thought I'd pass on that...) and came out with this Fischer. When I started to hit, I fell in love.

I'm looking online for information but can't find much. Are there similar frames? What would you classify this frame as?

meowmix
05-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Fischer was bought out by Pacific.

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-17-2011, 07:06 PM
is it red and black? or sort of black and green?

they are awesome frames, though!

Yenster
05-17-2011, 07:08 PM
I love fischers <3

Charles
05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
is it red and black? or sort of black and green?

they are awesome frames, though!

It's black and green.

Please say more, I don't know much about racquets and want to know what these things are and why I like them so much (I.E: what about them makes them different)

Timbo's hopeless slice
05-17-2011, 07:11 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/MP198S/MP198SReview.html

Marcos Baghdatis, my good man...

WhiteStripes
05-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Used to use both Fischer M Pro 1 SL 98 and 105 for about 4 years. Great sticks. Pacific X Force Pro is the successor to MPro 1 98. Plays a wee bit stiffer/more crisp, but is very close to the Fischer.

SirGounder
05-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Yeah awesome stick, too demanding for me but very satisfying to hit with.

Keifers
05-17-2011, 10:41 PM
I broke a string today and had to go rummaging around in my coach's car for a racquet (he also had a Wilson T-2000 but I thought I'd pass on that...) and came out with this Fischer. When I started to hit, I fell in love.

I'm looking online for information but can't find much. Are there similar frames? What would you classify this frame as?

It's black and green.

Please say more, I don't know much about racquets and want to know what these things are and why I like them so much (I.E: what about them makes them different)
Ahh yes, welcome to "the Fischer feel." No other line of racquets I know of produces the kind of "instant love" reaction you experienced.

Would be interesting to know whether the PN1 you hit with was the lighter UL (295g unstrung) version or the heavier SL (320g) one. If it was the UL, you may be in for a treat -- the SL is even better, in the opinion of many of us.

For more information, do a search. This is one of the key Fischer threads:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=188648

Rorsach
05-18-2011, 02:35 AM

It's a great racquet, but it has nothing to do with Baghdatis. He used (and probably still uses) an old Fischer Pro #1 (no magnetics anywhere).

jorel
05-18-2011, 05:08 AM

ditto...sorry but marco uses the oriiginal vt 98

Charles
05-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Mine is the UL actually - why am I in for a treat?

fuzz nation
05-18-2011, 08:39 AM
That's the frame that followed their M-Speed Pro #1, which was perhaps their best offering in recent years - I had a couple of them myself for a bit. The layout combines a firm hoop with a rather soft throat that makes for a nice combo of feel and performance.

The Wilson nBlade had the same sort of layout along with the more recent Yonex RQiS 1 Tour, which is on clearance at TW. The M-Speed Fischer was one of the highest rated offerings among TW play testers up to that point in time and they appear to be using the same sort of build in the Pacific frames like the X Force Pro. That one looks like the M-Pro #1 98 with a new paint job.

Keifers
05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Mine is the UL actually - why am I in for a treat?
Ugh, I see I didn't express myself very well. What I meant to say was if you ever hit with an SL, you may find it plays even better; many of us think the Fischer feel feels better in the heavier version.

Charles
05-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Ugh, I see I didn't express myself very well. What I meant to say was if you ever hit with an SL, you may find it plays even better; many of us think the Fischer feel feels better in the heavier version.

Fault not your expression sir, but rather my reading. I hope I can get my hands on an SL, and thanks for chiming in

Charles

caugas
05-18-2011, 10:13 AM
I've got the red and black stick, best stick I've hit with. control is sick.
I recently converted to the pacific line, not the same racket, differnent feel, but not bad rackets.

NicoMK
05-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Aahh, the fabulous Fischer "feel"… :roll:
Welcome mate!

Great stick, I've got two like these, considering selling, maybe… :roll:

Charles
05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Just wanted to jump in with my quick thoughts on this frame.

Despite the fact that it is light and marketed as such, I found this frame not so easy to swing. I love the feel but I was noticeably more tired than when swinging my Babolat.

My serve actually was faster with this one than with my usual frame (Babolat APDGT)

I get next to no pop with this frame on my ground strokes, however. It's probably a technical issue (I'm struggling lately with my strokes) but I thought it was interesting that I got more power on my serves because the Fischer definitely did not feel like a big-serve conducive racquet.

(Just as a side note I hit twenty aces today and lost in straight sets...christ...)

Keifers
05-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Mmm... interesting experience.

How a racquet swings is affected/determined by its weight, weight distribution and balance (and to a lesser extent, its aerodynamics). Imo our strokes get grooved for our usual sticks and adjustment is usually needed when we pick up a different stick.

A heavier racquet can allow a more relaxed grip as we let the racquet to do more of the work for us (we're more guiding it), whereas a lighter racquet requires gripping it more tightly throughout the stroke to get the same oomph on the shot.

Having said all that, the PN1s have never been known as powerful racquets, and that would apply especially to the UL versions.

caugas
05-19-2011, 05:40 AM
I've hit with both the SL and UL versions. The SL is certainly more stable!

Satch
05-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Just wanted to jump in with my quick thoughts on this frame.

Despite the fact that it is light and marketed as such, I found this frame not so easy to swing. I love the feel but I was noticeably more tired than when swinging my Babolat.

My serve actually was faster with this one than with my usual frame (Babolat APDGT)

(Just as a side note I hit twenty aces today and lost in straight sets...christ...)

After babolat every stick plays great :)

caugas
05-19-2011, 07:27 AM
After babolat every stick plays great :)
LOL satch - especially the cortex pure drive

frekcles
05-19-2011, 08:12 AM
If you liked the feel now, wait until you try out the "older" Fischers.

:-D

Jakesteroni
05-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Can anyone tell me the version I was playing with a while ago. It was a red and white scheme say around 2001. That was one of the sweetest sticks I've played with.

meowmix
05-19-2011, 09:49 AM
It was probably still a M-Pro 1. Probably the Pro Tour FT version.