PDA

View Full Version : Reverse customization

alidisperanza
05-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Anyone ever try to get the silicone out of the handle of their racquets after customizing?

Ugh... It's a chore and a half. I re-stocked two of my frames tonight, a MG Prestige Mid and a LM Radical MP. The radical, having been done fairly recently wasn't too much of an issue-- the silicone came out in nice chunks. The Prestige on the other hand... oh boy.

Over a year ago, I decided that I wanted to experiment with silicone (on the Prestige)-- unfortunately for me, my father walked in while I was figuring out a way to measure different quantities of silicone and goes "here, give me that" Seconds later, the WHOLE handle was filled to the brim. You can imagine what a pain it was to drill/ pull all of that out.

Fortunately, I have a much more precise system for measuring out silicone now than his---er---methods.

Anyways, for those interested, I found the best method to be using a long, thin flat-head screw driver. First remove the staples of the butt-cap, then pass it down the walls of the handle to detach the silicone from the lining. Then, once all the sides are clear just pull up slowly. Another method I found useful for the stubborn bits is using a long drill bit at low speeds. Since it has a natural helical plane, it draws the silicone up in fairly large chunks. If you drill too quickly though, you'll be tapping out snow forever. Also, be careful with the drill-bit. I noticed that the handles are not "straight" tubes by any means, they often get smaller as you move towards the throat of the frame. Don't drill into this! The second you find any significant resistance, pull out!

flashfire276
05-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Oh my goodness... this is the hardest thing ever since inventing the light bulb! Haha!!
Actually, your method actually sounds legit! I should try that out.
My friend got a Wilson Sting 2 Mid secondhand, and that thing is full of silicone in the handle. What I did was get a blowdryer, and try to heat up the silicone a bit so it can soften up. Then get a knife of some sort, and try to scoop or pry that stuff out.
It's hard to get all of it though, because the silicone can get in there really deep.

kimbahpnam
05-17-2011, 09:38 PM
The second you find any significant resistance, pull out!

that's what she said

Torres
05-18-2011, 08:38 AM
my father walked in while I was figuring out a way to measure different quantities of silicone and goes "here, give me that" Seconds later, the WHOLE handle was filled to the brim.

Haha. Your father's decisiveness makes me laugh. How much weight did a whole handle full of silicone add? Must have been alot surely?

I still say Flashfire's previous suggestion of using guaze tape was the best one. With no overlapping you can easily add 10g without all the mess and trial and error of injecting silicone.

alidisperanza
05-18-2011, 09:13 AM
that's what she said

Is it bad that I thought it as I wrote it...?

Haha. Your father's decisiveness makes me laugh. How much weight did a whole handle full of silicone add? Must have been alot surely?

I still say Flashfire's previous suggestion of using guaze tape was the best one. With no overlapping you can easily add 10g without all the mess and trial and error of injecting silicone.

Haha, unfortunately, gauze doesn't dampen like silicone does. I'm lucky enough to have a junkman for a father who has about 6 different types of silicone. I chose to use the least dense one-- a touch up caulking silicone. After all was said and done I had a 14.25oz prestige :D If I would have used the dense one I'd have been looking at a 16oz prestige :shock:

Filling the handle produced a very solid, very stable prestige-- unfortunately it's a bit unwieldy. I hit with a stock prestige last night for the first time in a few months and I miiiiiiissssed it.