PDA

View Full Version : Kneissl over and out again ?

classic tennis
05-18-2011, 04:27 AM
It's a shame but tennis sales are falling and manufacturing is all too similar!
Maybe they should go in to Cricket?

Vienna - Austrian ski producer Kneissl declared bankruptcy Tuesday, in a development that could spell the end for the first company to mass-market carving skis.

The Kneissl group had amassed 23.3 million euros (31.8 million dollars) of debts, according to Austrian press agency APA.

The company had hoped for a cash injection by its Saudi co-owner Mohamed al-Jaber, but the investor did not meet a deadline set by the bankruptcy judge.

Founded as a carriage workshop in the mid-19th century, Kneissl became the first serial producer of alpine skis in Austria in 1919.

In the late 1990s, Kneissl was the first to market carving skis, whose curved edges made turning easier and revolutionized both amateur and competitive skiing.

But Kneissl's strategy of expanding and buying brands such as Raichle, Dynafit and Marker was not successful, leading to bankruptcy in 2003, followed by a series of ownership changes.

Al-Jaber announced Tuesday he is ready to inject another 1.2 million euros once a strategy for the future of the brand has been worked out with the main creditors.

tom4ny
05-18-2011, 07:01 AM
It's a shame but tennis sales are falling and manufacturing is all too similar!
Maybe they should go in to Cricket?

Vienna - Austrian ski producer Kneissl declared bankruptcy Tuesday, in a development that could spell the end for the first company to mass-market carving skis.

The Kneissl group had amassed 23.3 million euros (31.8 million dollars) of debts, according to Austrian press agency APA.

The company had hoped for a cash injection by its Saudi co-owner Mohamed al-Jaber, but the investor did not meet a deadline set by the bankruptcy judge.

Founded as a carriage workshop in the mid-19th century, Kneissl became the first serial producer of alpine skis in Austria in 1919.

In the late 1990s, Kneissl was the first to market carving skis, whose curved edges made turning easier and revolutionized both amateur and competitive skiing.

But Kneissl's strategy of expanding and buying brands such as Raichle, Dynafit and Marker was not successful, leading to bankruptcy in 2003, followed by a series of ownership changes.

Al-Jaber announced Tuesday he is ready to inject another 1.2 million euros once a strategy for the future of the brand has been worked out with the main creditors.

this press release is from back in february. not that they are of the woods by any means but al-jaber did provide another infusion of cash and his daughter is ceo. kneissl has a new line of free style skiis that they continue to roll out in 2011 and the 2010 model tennis racquets are still available in europe. they had planned for a spring 2011 roll out in the USA of their new racquets (which are sweet) but that obviously has been pushed back. they are also continuing with their planned resort.

classic tennis
05-18-2011, 07:42 AM
this press release is from back in february. not that they are of the woods by any means but al-jaber did provide another infusion of cash and his daughter is ceo. kneissl has a new line of free style skiis that they continue to roll out in 2011 and the 2010 model tennis racquets are still available in europe. they had planned for a spring 2011 roll out in the USA of their new racquets (which are sweet) but that obviously has been pushed back. they are also continuing with their planned resort.

Al Jaber in Distress

Published: April 23, 2011 16:23 · (FriedlNews)

Saudi investor Mohamed Al Jaber has to fight on several fronts in Austria. Kneissl awaits restructuring, loans are due.

ced
05-18-2011, 07:46 AM

It will be too bad if they can't make it back .... they make some sweet tennis racquets. The Black star has rescued my game.

tom4ny
05-18-2011, 07:52 AM
the original news release is from tuesday february 8, 2011.

april 23rd was a saturday and i suspect it is the same article posted on a different news wire.

the situation is as i stated above. i also forgot to mention that kneissl did proceed to roll out the 2010 frames into the asian market.

classic tennis
05-18-2011, 08:00 AM
the original news release is from tuesday february 8, 2011.

april 23rd was a saturday and i suspect it is the same article posted on a different news wire.

the situation is as i stated above. i also forgot to mention that kneissl did proceed to roll out the 2010 frames into the asian market.

I hope they hang around and dig themself out of it, I can't see his daughter helping though? It's being reported in European trade press and Austrian finance rags he has defaulted on payments to creditors over the last two weeks. (April-May)

tom4ny
05-18-2011, 08:18 AM
now that is new information and something that i did not know. it would be sad if they mismanage the bankruptcy and it is certainly very bad if he is defaulting to the banks.

i guess that i am glad i stocked up on frames and grommets but i still hope that they can pull out of this.

classic tennis
05-18-2011, 08:24 AM
now that is new information and something that i did not know. it would be sad if they mismanage the bankruptcy and it is certainly very bad if he is defaulting to the banks.

i guess that i am glad i stocked up on frames and grommets but i still hope that they can pull out of this.

It's a shame, more so for the factory workers, as tennis is a tiny part of the company, it's the skilled guy's and girls on the factory floor that produce top of the draw ski's are going to lose out.... couldn't care less about the China factories.
Maybe they should charge an extra twenty bucks per bat and make them in Austria?

vsbabolat
05-18-2011, 08:29 AM
It's a shame, more so for the factory workers, as tennis is a tiny part of the company, it's the skilled guy's and girls on the factory floor that produce top of the draw ski's are going to lose out.... couldn't care less about the China factories.
Maybe they should charge an extra twenty bucks per bat and make them in Austria?

I am for that!:)

basil J
05-18-2011, 08:31 AM
I have not used their racquets , but I have used their race skis off & on for over 15 years and they are among the best I have ever used. It will be sad if they disappear. Solid products, year after year.

classic tennis
05-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I have not used their racquets , but I have used their race skis off & on for over 15 years and they are among the best I have ever used. It will be sad if they disappear. Solid products, year after year.

At least their (like Fischers) bat's had something unique when they were made there, not just going to factory in China ordering # 28 and slapping your name on it... and making it as cheaply as possible,OK maybe that's simplifying it, but it's not far off the mark...they are all boring.

Devilito
05-18-2011, 08:54 AM

Tennis racquet was $180 in 1988 and it's $180 in 2011. There is a reason why racquets are all made in China and it's everyone's fault for being cheap *******s. If you want racquets to still be made in Austria or USA or something then you should be more than happy paying $350-$400 per stick just to keep up with inflation. If you wan’t the low low then China here we come and screw the factory workers in Austria

classic tennis
05-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Tennis racquet was $180 in 1988 and it's $180 in 2011. There is a reason why racquets are all made in China and it's everyone's fault for being cheap *******s. If you want racquets to still be made in Austria or USA or something then you should be more than happy paying $350-$400 per stick just to keep up with inflation. If you wan’t the low low then China here we come and screw the factory workers in Austria

Not me dude, I'm more than happy to pay for quality !

Devilito
05-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Not me dude, I'm more than happy to pay for quality !

But you just said you'd pay an extra $20. $20 won't pay for that factory worker's lunch anymore. How about an extra $200?

mctennis
05-18-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm not convinced that racquets would be $200 more. That just doesn't make sense. I agree they'd be more than the $20 someone suggested but not $200 more. As cheaply made ( quality wise I'm speaking of) as some racquets are those are the companies that should be going out of business not Kneissl. They have some of the nicest quality racquets I've seen. I'd still prefer they'd ( and other racquets) be made in Taiwan, Europe or the USA.

basil J
05-19-2011, 03:58 AM
I currently ski on Fischer skis and I find the quality on their boards on par with Kniessel. Fischer had some good results on the world cup circuit this year.

max
05-19-2011, 05:41 AM

What racquet was that much in 1988?

I bought a couple that time, the highest around $118.

michael valek
05-19-2011, 05:45 AM
i am working for them in the UK as a sideline and have the whole range. top quality manufacture and excellent frames and bags. can't recommend them highly enough. am using new white stars, excellent frames.

Boricua
05-19-2011, 06:51 AM

It is interesting how companies who make skis, which are more than one, make great rackets. Even Head is using ski tech in their new rackets.

Hominator
05-19-2011, 06:57 AM
What racquet was that much in 1988?

I bought a couple that time, the highest around $118.

The Prince CTS line, the Thunderstick in particular, which came out soon after, was around $200, IIRC. Prince Boron was even more expensive, IIRC.

dje31
05-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Prince Boron, 1985: $500

mctennis
05-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Prince Boron, 1985: $500

REALLY? In 1985 that racquet was $500? How many did they sell, actually?

Datacipher
05-19-2011, 09:52 PM
REALLY? In 1985 that racquet was $500? How many did they sell, actually?

Not too many! But some! Having said that, that raquet (and some even pricer ones) were NOT of course, reflective of the mainstream!
They were extreme outliers in pricing.

Having said that, racquets are not subject to the same inflation for raw material as some other products, because the material is so very cheap.

Yes, much of the cost is profit & wages & infrastructure.....but I'm not one to advocate moving it to the US or Europe just for the sake of jobs, or alleged quality.

vsbabolat
05-20-2011, 04:55 AM
The Prince CTS line, the Thunderstick in particular, which came out soon after, was around $200, IIRC. Prince Boron was even more expensive, IIRC.

That CTS line was made in Taiwan and Thailand.

Rorsach
05-20-2011, 05:08 AM
I've got a couple of Fischer sticks from the early 90's with their price tags still on them: 400-500 DM (that's Deutschmarks), no idea how much that would be in USD, but it's no cheap.

tom4ny
05-24-2011, 02:05 PM
well i have read some of the austrian press and it seems like june 1 is the 1st deadline and july 1st is the other for the sheik and/or kneissl to come up with 1 million euro in payments in order to continue operating under bankruptcy protection or close. with the other major partner and coo in spain it does not loook promising. the sheik is also in default on 2 other hotels so the whole thing is a big mess. it makes me very sad.

stevewcosta
05-24-2011, 03:28 PM
i am working for them in the UK as a sideline and have the whole range. top quality manufacture and excellent frames and bags. can't recommend them highly enough. am using new white stars, excellent frames.

Kind of limited to one style though right?...extended, tight string patterns...not a line that has mass appeal. Also, they are all somewhat thick...

Zverev
05-24-2011, 04:00 PM
I wonder how much manual labor is involved in making rackets.
The frame is surely made by machine...
It doesn't really matter where machine is, in China or Austria.
The machine itself is made in Europe or US.
So what is left?
Attaching handle? Painting?
What impact on quality can these make?

Just thinking loud here...

tball
05-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Actually, labor is about 90% of making a racquet. There were some videos on youtube (fragmets from How It Is Made, I believe), they showed how the entire process works. Machine is only used once for about 10 minutes to blow the air into the mold to spead and push the semi-liquid graphite under high heat. And then for another hour to dry up the racquets after painting. Everything else is manual labor.

vsbabolat
05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
I wonder how much manual labor is involved in making rackets.
The frame is surely made by machine...
It doesn't really matter where machine is, in China or Austria.
The machine itself is made in Europe or US.
So what is left?
Attaching handle? Painting?
What impact on quality can these make?

Just thinking loud here...

Racquet manufacturing is very labor intensive.
To watch this video click on racquet creation then click on Video: making a Tennis racquet http://www.usta.com/wilsonlab/index.html

db379
05-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Michael,

I am looking for some white stars. Would you be able to tell me where I could get some? Thanks.

tennis_balla
05-27-2011, 01:37 PM

You're actually not that far off. Just check out the prices of Yonex badminton rackets, their top of the line stuff. Made in Japan and pricey. I think Yonex breaks even or makes very very little on their tennis racket line in order to stay competitive, but I don't think it makes a difference to them cause their badminton department is a cash cow. They are huge there. They are the only ones left making rackets that are not made in China (the higher end stuff I mean). Sad, very sad.

A friend of mine has a tennis shop and has a bunch of old rackets, mostly woodies hanging on the wall. Dunlop Maxply, made in England. Beautiful racket. Good luck seeing that ever again.

tom4ny
05-28-2011, 06:52 AM
i've had the opportunity to play with a number of other frames lately but i still love my red star 2010's for their balance of power and control. i have stocked up with 6 of them and a bunch of extra grommets in case the end is near for kneissl as a company. their skiis are great too and i still hope that somehow they will pull out of their financial problems.

michael valek
05-31-2011, 02:58 AM
DB379, please email me michael.valek@thomsonreuters.com

michael valek
05-31-2011, 04:47 AM
in regard to the comment about the frames being thick, ive used ps 85's, POG's, prestiges. not had any probs with swinging the kneissl frames and the attention to detail and build quality is far better than other frames i have used. pre the kneissls, i was using old max 200g frames which were nearly 400g in weight, and with the white stars (at just over 305 grammes), i was worried. but now i get more power, equal touch, more stability and i wouldnt say they are limited to one style of play at all. the red and black stars are also great. they certainly all play heavier than their stated weight (for example the weight is about the same as babolat pure drives), but i find none of the rocket-launcher tendencies or arm-destroying tinnyness of those, with much greater control.

michael valek
05-31-2011, 04:48 AM
and rather foolishly, i forgot to add, none of these frames is extended.

Kevin T
06-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Looks like Kneissl gets a ninth life:) :

http://www.sginews.com/EMS_Base/EMS_Excerpt.aspx?tTargetUrl=/Content/kneissl-in-bankruptcy-court-again.aspx

coachrick
06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
It is interesting how companies who make skis, which are more than one, make great rackets. Even Head is using ski tech in their new rackets.

This has been going on since the '70s. Head, Volkl, Fischer, Kneissl, Dura-fiber, Rossignol, Yamaha all were ski/tennis companies. Back then, the technology behind the construction applied to both tennis and skiing, especially the transition from laminated wood to the aluminum overlay composites(Head, Rossi and Yamaha, in particular).
The fiberglass models from Dura-fiber and Volkl go back to the early '70s.

It was pretty cool to be in 'the business' during that time. There were sea changes in materials and technology, not just a different paint job with the newest 'unobtanium' wonder-material. To see someone who used only wood rackets try an Aldila Cannon...WOW! To watch somebody grin from ear to ear when they put down their T2000 and tried a Fischer Superform or Yamaha YFG 50...THAT was cool! ;) Ah, the good old days! :)

mctennis
06-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Looks like Kneissl gets a ninth life:) :

http://www.sginews.com/EMS_Base/EMS_Excerpt.aspx?tTargetUrl=/Content/kneissl-in-bankruptcy-court-again.aspx

Did you see how much that guy is worth? Buying this company is just a hobby to him looks like.

Kevin T
06-09-2011, 07:38 AM
This has been going on since the '70s. Head, Volkl, Fischer, Kneissl, Dura-fiber, Rossignol, Yamaha all were ski/tennis companies. Back then, the technology behind the construction applied to both tennis and skiing, especially the transition from laminated wood to the aluminum overlay composites(Head, Rossi and Yamaha, in particular).

It was pretty cool to be in 'the business' during that time. There were sea changes in materials and technology, not just a different paint job with the newest 'unobtanium' wonder-material. To see someone who used only wood rackets try an Aldila Cannon...WOW! To watch somebody grin from ear to ear when they put down their T2000 and tried a Fischer Superform or Yamaha YFG 50...THAT was cool! ;) Ah, the good old days! :)

I bet it was a good time to be in the biz. I'm 36 and didn't start playing until 12 yo (family had no interest). While living in Cincinnati, I knew an ex-Rossignol rep from the late 70's- mid to late 80's. He said Rossi would just give him a ton of frames to use as demos/promos/etc. He also said when Rossi left the US market, he probably had 200 various frames left over. I used the FT 5.80 for years and unfortunately didn't meet him until 2000. :)

coachrick
06-09-2011, 09:12 AM

It was pretty cool to be in 'the business' during that time. There were sea changes in materials and technology, not just a different paint job with the newest 'unobtanium' wonder-material. To see someone who used only wood rackets try an Aldila Cannon...WOW! To watch somebody grin from ear to ear when they put down their T2000 and tried a Fischer Superform or Yamaha YFG 50...THAT was cool! Ah, the good old days! :)

I bet it was a good time to be in the biz. I'm 36 and didn't start playing until 12 yo (family had no interest). While living in Cincinnati, I knew an ex-Rossignol rep from the late 70's- mid to late 80's. He said Rossi would just give him a ton of frames to use as demos/promos/etc. He also said when Rossi left the US market, he probably had 200 various frames left over. I used the FT 5.80 for years and unfortunately didn't meet him until 2000. :)

Yeah, I've got a couple of decades on you ;) . One interesting difference 'back then' was the variety of materials being offered by most manufacturers. I repped Rossi in '79-'80 and our 'player' rackets included models made from wood, aluminum, FRP/foam/alu overlay and graphite/glass composites...something for everybody :) .

Limeyoncourt
06-15-2011, 12:27 AM
hot off the press.....New white Star pro available for Kneissl as of today..this is their pdf spec sent to me by the kneissl-uk guys..."WHITE STAR TOUR – the name speaks for itself. This racket, developped by tennis professionals, convinces with its bigger sweet spot and provides for more power with less weight. The reworked head geometry provides a perfect balance of acceleration and control. The Kevlar tendons, now inside the racket, ensure speedy compensation in the case of any vibration. White Star Tour – the power racket for professional and tournament players." Griffstärke | gripsize 2 - 4
Länge | lenght [mm] 695
Rahmenhöhe | frame profile [mm] 23
Gewicht | weight [g] 280 / ±5
Balance | balance [mm] 327 / ±5
Schlagfläche | headsize [in´´] 100
Steifigkeit | stiffness [RA] 66
Bespannung | stringing [kg] 22 -30
Bespannungsschema | string pattern 18 / 21
Delta head shape
if someone get one let us know how it plays......

blackfrido
06-15-2011, 04:01 AM
hot off the press.....New white Star pro available for Kneissl as of today..this is their pdf spec sent to me by the kneissl-uk guys..."WHITE STAR TOUR – the name speaks for itself. This racket, developped by tennis professionals, convinces with its bigger sweet spot and provides for more power with less weight. The reworked head geometry provides a perfect balance of acceleration and control. The Kevlar tendons, now inside the racket, ensure speedy compensation in the case of any vibration. White Star Tour – the power racket for professional and tournament players." Griffstärke | gripsize 2 - 4
Länge | lenght [mm] 695
Delta head shape

good news!! but, are they going to be selling this racquet is US?

tom4ny
06-15-2011, 04:20 AM
Länge | lenght [mm] 695
Delta head shape

this is exciting! and kneissl matches on. from the way it reads it may have been inspired by the sevastova frame which is different from the white star 2010. thanks for sharing :)

http://www.tennislatvia.lv/post/img/81384076.jpg

fish
06-15-2011, 04:57 AM
Anyone Using Red Star , White Star ??
How Do They Compare To Knessiel's Tom Machine (green Color ))????
Seek For User Sharing. Thanks

michael valek
06-15-2011, 05:16 AM
yep, am using 2011 white stars and know where to get them from, along wih red stars etc, and they play great. anyone need kneissl info, please email me michael.valek@thomsonreuters.com

vegasgt3
06-15-2011, 06:02 AM
I knew that guy, wasn't he also the Prince rep for a while? What was his name. I used to play tennis with him back in1981-1982

Limeyoncourt
06-15-2011, 06:23 AM
good news!! but, are they going to be selling this racquet is US?

not sure but UK Kneissl guys will ship i am sure (info@kneissl-uk.com) is what i used or look at previous thread where "mike" says he knows how to help ...good luck

ced
06-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Anyone Using Red Star , White Star ??
How Do They Compare To Knessiel's Tom Machine (green Color ))????
Seek For User Sharing. Thanks

Haven't used the White star but am familiar with the Red and the Tom's (27.5") .... the Tom's had better 'feel' and I preferred it over the Red, but the swingweight was too much for me and I had to pass on it. For some reason the extended length bothered me on the Red (only racquet to ever do so).

Found my salvation in the Black Star though ! The Black (2010 model) is the 'it' racquet for me.

Overheadsmash
01-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Any news on this company? Are they still in business and are they going to keep making racquets?

tom4ny
01-24-2012, 02:19 AM
There is still a pulse and sales offices are open. There hasnt been any new production but they have been allowed to sell existing inventory. The German skateboard company Kramer had won the bid to take over but then could not come up with 1.7 million euro for deposit to the court and the deal died. Then the Sheik came back and deposited 2 million euro. So now the creditors vote on taking the reorganization plan and taking 20 cents on the euro. The vote is tomottow and it is expected to pass. Then the company can make tennis rackets and skiis again. There are also some hotels involved, ie.,The Star Lounge. After months it actually looks promising :)

sargeinaz
01-24-2012, 09:08 AM
I've always wanted to try one so let's hope they make it through.

Overheadsmash
01-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I hit the heck out of my Black Star today! I love that thing. Good to hear - hoping to see some new racquets.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3738/l1000125.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/l1000125.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

blackfrido
01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I hit the heck out of my Black Star today! I love that thing. Good to hear - hoping to see some new racquets.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3738/l1000125.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/l1000125.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

good looking racquet!! your grip looks hugeeeee

tom4ny
01-25-2012, 09:15 AM
ahh - nice black star! some day i have to get pics up of my red and white stars.

anywaze - great news! the creditors have accepted the bankruptcy plan so now the administrator can start to pay out the deposited monies from Al Jabar. Then the company's CEO can proceed with production and carrying out on the approved operational plan. This all could have been avoided and production would never have been stopped if the Sheik had come up with the money back in June when he was initially supposed to put up the 2 million euro. It will take a few weeks but they will be back up and running :)

MesQueUnClub
01-25-2012, 11:30 AM

What's the head size and specs on that ?

Overheadsmash
01-25-2012, 11:34 AM
See post #6 right here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=365876

Overheadsmash
01-25-2012, 11:35 AM
ahh - nice black star! some day i have to get pics up of my red and white stars.

anywaze - great news! the creditors have accepted the bankruptcy plan so now the administrator can start to pay out the deposited monies from Al Jabar. Then the company's CEO can proceed with production and carrying out on the approved operational plan. This all could have been avoided and production would never have been stopped if the Sheik had come up with the money back in June when he was initially supposed to put up the 2 million euro. It will take a few weeks but they will be back up and running :)

Good news! Like all my sticks, I baby that thing. I NEVER let it scrape against anything. I only play on clay and soft courts, so that helps.

michael valek
01-26-2012, 11:56 AM
anyone needs a source for black stars, let me know. michael.valek@thomsonreuters.com