PDA

View Full Version : Lead Taping my Six One Tour??

BRIANWILSON38
05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Well I am hitting with a Wil BLX Six One Tour (as shown in my signature) and use all poly but am still looking for a little more control and was wondering if I added a little lead tape to my racquet if I would get more control out of it.

If this is true, then where exactly would I place the lead tape??

Also, the weight doesn't bother me and I have yet to find something that hurts my arm at all, just in case that factors into your responses.

Steve Huff
05-18-2011, 02:14 PM
When I've added weight to my rackets, I did not get as much spin. I did get a more solid feel and more power. I've added weight to the head and to the handle. If weight in the head causes you to be late on your shots, well, it's not going to help. I'd start with weight at the head. It's easy to remove, and the easiest way to change your swingweight. Without seeing you play, it would be impossible to tell if it's going to help you. It will probably add control to your volleys, but as for your groundstrokes, it depends on too many variables to be able to tell you without seeing you play.

goran_ace
05-18-2011, 03:00 PM
sorry to be blunt, but you're swinging a BLX six one tour 90 strung full poly all the way up @ 62 and you don't have enough control? lead's not going to help you.

I would suggest working on keeping your stroke under control: prepare earlier and swing slower and smoother. mind your footwork. also, think about dropping your tension a few pounds and/or maybe switching to a hybrid stringbed to get a more pocketing/dwell time.

Fed Kennedy
05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Depends what you mean by control bdubbs, if you want to work the ball around the court a little easier with spin, i would drop your tension a bit and maybe try a little fed style lead at 12...if you just want to blast flatties, go for lead on the pws bulges. But...this is already a heavy control oriented racquet...

BRIANWILSON38
05-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Goran ace.....agreed on the smooth groundstrokes and the footwork, which is something that I am trying to work on

Fed....thanks for the tip. I am a topspin player so maybe I'll try the lead at 12 and see how it goes. if it works well I will let you know

tnsanydy
05-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Goran ace.....agreed on the smooth groundstrokes and the footwork, which is something that I am trying to work on

Fed....thanks for the tip. I am a topspin player so maybe I'll try the lead at 12 and see how it goes. if it works well I will let you know

Not trying to scare you or anything but you're playing with fire here using a heavy racket. You're not hurting yet but better listen to Goran Ace, this racket is very demanding and without the smooth groundstroke and footwork, you'll be hitting the ball late and that's where you put your wrist and elbow in awkward position. In no time, it'll catch up with you. If you really like the racket, lower your tension until you get the timing right- that is when you get your footwork right. Good luck. :)