PDA

View Full Version : New racket

bartrombo
05-19-2011, 05:38 AM
Hello,

I'm looking for a new racket. I have been playing about 9 years now and played 6 or 7 with my Flexpoint radicals mp. I feel it's time to look for a new heavier racket, also because my radicals are not in top condition anymore.

I like to play with quite some topspin and my best shot is my forehand. I play with a singlehanded backhand. My service isn't my best shot so could use some extra power/controle there... I don't care wich brand, but am looking for some real quality.

I'm 28 years now and play minimum 2 times a week.

So what racket do you guys recommend? Wich weight would be good to move up to?

Thanx!

fuzz nation
05-19-2011, 06:42 AM
In case your frames are still sound and only the grommets and bumper guards are torn up, you've got the not-too-expensive option of replacing those. A fresh set only goes for maybe $6-$8.

What's right in terms of a heavier racquet? Who knows, right? If you get into a different weight, you'll probably also need a racquet with a different balance. Whatever is potentially right for you could be a few tenths of an ounce heavier or a whole lot more than that. You may be smart to try a Prestige since that will probably give you a heftier option with a familiar grip shape.

The other factor that's going to contribute to a different racquet's performance is its flex. The Radicals are rather soft frames, but a heavier alternative ought to have some extra power on tap for you. If you get into a heavier option that also offers more stiffness (for example, let's say the Pure Drive Roddick), you're going to get a double whammy in the power department.

A couple frames that are soft like your Radical and also carry a bit more beef include the ProKennex Black Ace 98, Pacific X Force Pro, Prince Ozone Tour, and Yonex RQiS 1 Tour, but you've obviously got an ocean of options out there. Pay attention to the static weight, flex, and balance in any racquet you try. Those three spec's seem to be the best predictors for the behavior in any frame and when you get familiar with what you like, they can help you to track down a good fit with your gear.

bartrombo
05-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the advice!

Off course I will start to demo some rackets, probably in 2 weeks or so.
For now I have some favorites:

- Head Youtek Prestige (MP?)
- Wilson Pro Tour BLX
- Wilson Blade Tour 93 BLX
- Babolat Pure Storm Tour Plus GT (or maybe LTD)
- Prince EXO3 Tour 100 18 x 20

Is this the way to go?

Thanks again!

rufusbgood
05-20-2011, 05:29 AM
OP. How often do you break strings? What kind of string have you been using? The reason I ask is you say you hit with a fair amount of topspin but you could use some more power. A more open string pattern could be in order.

bartrombo
05-20-2011, 08:21 AM
Now I'm playing with Big Banger Alu Power @26 kg
I'm not breaking them at all... So that's not a real factor at this moment.

I always played with a 18 x 20 so that's why I looked for those..

Maybe a Head YOUTEK IG Speed would also be one to think of? Maybe 16 x 19?

rufusbgood
05-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Before you go demo-ing racquets I'd suggest you try stringing your racquets about 10 lbs looser and add some lead tape to the heads. Dropping the tension will give you a sense of what your current racquets are capable of power-wise and spin-wise. Adding weight will give you a sense of just how much weight you can comfortably handle. Additionally, stringing lower will prepare you for the much lower tensions you are likely to encounter during the demo process. Just my 2 cents.

AceServer
05-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Maybe the Head Speed Pro?
You wanted a heavier racquet, and it also has an open string pattern for spin potential. It's also on a huge sale, 75 per frame.

bartrombo
06-26-2011, 02:16 AM
Hey Guys!

I had some demos:

- Wilson BLX Pro Tour
- Volkl Power Bridge 10
- Volkl Power Bridge 8 315
- Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT

From these I really liked the Pure storm tour..
What would be the next step now? Prestige Pro?

Thanks again!

bartrombo
10-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Hello,

After a lot of demoing I really enjoyed the Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT the best.

Recently I also played with the PLUS version. I read a lot of posts about the storms and saw some people complain about elbow trouble with the plus version.. Is this still a problem with the plus version?

What would you say are the biggest downfalls of this version?

I really enjoyed the extra power on serves and groudstrokes, but if it messes up my arm I rather take the normal one..

Thanks again!

pshulam
10-06-2011, 03:46 AM
"After a lot of demoing I really enjoyed the Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT the best."
That's your answer. You might try the Tour version (extra weight).

fuzz nation
10-06-2011, 04:01 AM
If you want to substantially reduce your chances of arm/elbow irritation with this racquet or any other frame you put in your bag down the road, stay away from any of the poly or kevlar strings, even in a hybrid.

The Babolat Storm models are typically more flexible that some of their other frames, including the Pure Drive and AeroPro Drive. If you use a not-so-rigid racquet like this one strung with multifiber or even a thin synthetic gut at moderate tension, you should have some inherent softness there to help keep your arm happy.

pattenww
10-06-2011, 04:32 AM
I was looking for a bit more weight and power from a micr0gel rad.

I liked all a ton:

Head Prestige
Pure Strom Tour
Dunlop 200

If you do not want all that weigt I enjoyed the dunlop 200 lite as well. FYI Head is coming out with a prestige s (weight in between radical and prestige) as well as a different take on the radical pro.

I have not pulled the trigger yet and added 1/2 oz to handle of my rad to slighlty mimic the above. I am feeling confident I can make the weight jump to above.. 45, 4.0, 165#

sunof tennis
10-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I was looking for a bit more weight and power from a micr0gel rad.

I liked all a ton:

Head Prestige
Pure Strom Tour
Dunlop 200

If you do not want all that weigt I enjoyed the dunlop 200 lite as well. FYI Head is coming out with a prestige s (weight in between radical and prestige) as well as a different take on the radical pro.

I have not pulled the trigger yet and added 1/2 oz to handle of my rad to slighlty mimic the above. I am feeling confident I can make the weight jump to above.. 45, 4.0, 165#

Adding weight to the Radical generally will make it play better if you can handle it. You may also want to add some weight at 3/9 to give more stability and more plow through.

bartrombo
10-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the answers.

There still is a question not answered...
I already decided to get a storm tour GT, but I am not sure wich version. I really like the plus but I read some complaints about elbow touble...

Is this still a problem or did they fix this in de newer model?

Thanks again!

Xizel
10-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the answers.

There still is a question not answered...
I already decided to get a storm tour GT, but I am not sure wich version. I really like the plus but I read some complaints about elbow touble...

Is this still a problem or did they fix this in de newer model?

Thanks again!

I don't see a problem. The plus version is 3 points flexier and at 61, it's one of the flexiest racquets around. With a strung weight at 12.1 oz, you're also minimizing racquet vibration. Like someone said, at this point, it's all about your string. Stay away from stiff strings like poly and kevlar, and string at most moderate tension and you'll be safe. You can also go the extra mile with a multi or even natty gut.