PDA

View Full Version : Donnay vs. Volkl Organix

v1nx
05-19-2011, 06:25 AM
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering if anyone has compared the two brands? Something like Volkl Organix 10 (295) vs. Donnay X-White 99 since they have similar specs? Or even the dual core silver 99 or plat 99?

neverstopplaying
05-19-2011, 03:49 PM
I just posted a review of the Donnay Plat 99 and compared to the London. I was also considering the s325 and Melourne, but went with Donnay.

According to TM, if you not a solid 5.5, you shouldn't look at these volkls/Beckers. The Donnay Platinum is fine.

suppawat
05-19-2011, 10:43 PM
I haven't played X-White 99 and Organix 10 295 yet. The only Volkl Organix I played was Organix 10 325g and it reminds me of Head Speed Pro. They have something in common - heavy, stable, and demanding. But Head Speed Pro plow-thru the ball much smoother because the frame structure is more solid. Power from Organix 10 is significantly low, there must be energy loss somewhere in the frame. I had to take full fast swing almost every shot. However, feel is crisp/solid and stability is great. Compared to Platinum 99, I think the Platinum 99 is easier to play, and much more powerful.

v1nx
05-20-2011, 05:23 AM
Thanks a lot for the comparison suppawat, what about the weight of 325 vs plat99? Which one feels lighter (regardless of specs)? I've read that the organix lines are easy on the arm due to the new handle, what about Donnay? Are they comfortable or harsh on the arm?

tlm
05-20-2011, 05:32 AM
There is no comparing donnay rackets to other brands, donnay is in its own class. There is donnay, then the rest of the 2nd rate rackets out there.

APG
05-20-2011, 05:38 AM
I am curious as well. How is the Donnay on a sensitive arm/elbow.

Power Player
05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
It should be great. In theory the racquets were designed to prevent injury.

TennisCJC
05-24-2011, 10:27 AM
i demo-ed donnay black 94, red 94, and dark red 94 but bought 2 volkl organix 10 295. The donnay's are OK but not for me. I think the weighting system is a gimmick as the head weight strips are plastic and slide into the plastic grommet and are too light to make much of a difference. If you really want to customize, you will need lead tape. I also thought the Donnay's had a very old school feel - super flexy with little power. The volkl has a crisper feel with no vibrations at all. I think the v org 295 is more precise. I added a bit of lead to the head and countered in the handle, and now volkl has loads of stability, power, and control while 4 pts hl and around 11.7 oz static weight with customization, dampener, and overgrip.

Power Player
05-24-2011, 10:31 AM
the X series is indeed old school Donnay. The dual platinum is crisper with more power and flexes in the hoop a lot like my Head TGK pro mold did. It also has no vibrations, which is fantastic.

The platinum hits big. I play 99s, the Black 99 was exceptionally easy to control, and the Platinum added power and crispness to the equation.

TennisCJC
05-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Also, I am not so sure about donnay being in their own class. One guy on these boards reporting finding loads of lead tape under the bumper guard of his new Donnay. One of my donnay demo'es was about 6 grams over the spec-ed weight. Donnay's are well made rackets but I think volkl's are certainly as good or better. After demo-ing loads, i would rate Volkl 1, dunlop 2, and donnay 3 as far as quality. But, I think wilson and head also make good rackets as long as you match specs when you purchase 2. TW will match 2 rackets for about $10.

Power Player
05-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Well to counter I just got my 2nd Donnay and they spec out 1 gram off and have no lead tape under the bumpers. I personally feel the quality is the best of any stick I have had, but I have not owned volkls.

neverstopplaying
05-24-2011, 11:56 AM
I have owned many Volkls and the Plat 99s are my 1st Donnays. I believe that the quality of both is excellent.

As far as tolerances, my Volkls are always within a few grams and Donnay has a system with actual specs listed on every racquet, so my 320gm racquets both arrived listed at 322gms. There was no lead under the grommets.

I bought the Donnays without ability to demo (though I could return them); however I can't believe that I get so much action in a 18x20 frame. Lots of very controlled power and incredibly thin beam.

I'm sure Volkl or BB Melbourne would also have been OK choices.

v1nx
05-24-2011, 04:06 PM
This is getting interesting and confusing at the same time when I am about to choose between the X10 295 and the x-dual silver

stevewcosta
05-24-2011, 06:46 PM
i demo-ed donnay black 94, red 94, and dark red 94 but bought 2 volkl organix 10 295. The donnay's are OK but not for me. I think the weighting system is a gimmick as the head weight strips are plastic and slide into the plastic grommet and are too light to make much of a difference. If you really want to customize, you will need lead tape. I also thought the Donnay's had a very old school feel - super flexy with little power. The volkl has a crisper feel with no vibrations at all. I think the v org 295 is more precise. I added a bit of lead to the head and countered in the handle, and now volkl has loads of stability, power, and control while 4 pts hl and around 11.7 oz static weight with customization, dampener, and overgrip.

Super flexy with little power? These Donnays are stiff and very powerful, especially for such thin beams.

Power Player
05-24-2011, 08:07 PM
They are not stiff at all. The blacks are 59 RA and the platinum is probably going to be around 64. What makes you say they are stiff?

And what have you been liking lately? I feel like you my like those vantage bast cores...also wondered if you tried the pk black ace.

v1nx
05-24-2011, 11:33 PM
neverstopplaying, have you tried ever the X10 295 (or 325)? If you did, could you provide a comparison between those and the x-dual plats?

neverstopplaying
05-25-2011, 03:27 AM
neverstopplaying, have you tried ever the X10 295 (or 325)? If you did, could you provide a comparison between those and the x-dual plats?

Sorry, but I haven't tried either. I generally like the brand, so I was tempted. After playing for 10 years with 16 mains, I tried out a Dunlop 200 with 18 mains and really appreciated the control. It requires a lot of effort to generate power and the spin that I wanted. But I decided to see if I could learn to play well with an 18x20.

I read two reviews of the Donnay dual-cores and they seemed better for my game. I'm now generating power and crazy spin (with a multi), including kick serve. I can also cut back on the effort sometimes.

As an 18x20 convert, if I was to try another Volkl now, I would have to try out the Melbourne.

Hominator
05-25-2011, 03:58 AM

The Volkl X295 is a fantastic racquet. I normally play with a heavier racquet (Head IG Speed at 12.24 oz.), but I don't feel I need to mod the X295 at all to compensate for its lighter weight. I like it better than the X325.

stevewcosta
05-25-2011, 04:49 AM
They are not stiff at all. The blacks are 59 RA and the platinum is probably going to be around 64. What makes you say they are stiff?

And what have you been liking lately? I feel like you my like those vantage bast cores...also wondered if you tried the pk black ace.

Well, they definitely don't flex like people are saying. Now, the Pro One International flexed, that's for sure. They just feel stiff to me regardless of the rating...maybe it's the rocket-launching feeling so the dwell time isn't there to feel a flex. Maybe it's the crappy Donnay string jobs...sure hope so. It's not that I even love flexible racquets...just don't like the unsubstantial stuff on the market. Love the 6.0 85, but the 85 isn't loving me (except on serve). I'm buying the gold99. It's a waste of time to demo with those awful strings.

Power Player
05-25-2011, 05:22 AM
The strings do suck real bad. Because honestly when I had the black 99 it flexed almost exactly like the Pro One OS. the Platinum flexes like a Head pro stock racquet..basically like an original prestige would, but still has power. I am not sure if that is your thing, but with syn gut at like 57#s or so, I think you will see what I am saying. The hybrid it came with was not a good representation.

stevewcosta
05-25-2011, 07:19 AM
The strings do suck real bad. Because honestly when I had the black 99 it flexed almost exactly like the Pro One OS. the Platinum flexes like a Head pro stock racquet..basically like an original prestige would, but still has power. I am not sure if that is your thing, but with syn gut at like 57#s or so, I think you will see what I am saying. The hybrid it came with was not a good representation.

Interesting...if I experience the same, I will be very pleased. I'm even thinking about a kevlar/syn. gut hybrid to tone down the power (probably a bad idea at my age but used to love it in the late 90s). I found all of the racs I've tried VERY powerful (Red99, dk red 94, blue 99, black 99).

corners
05-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Interesting...if I experience the same, I will be very pleased. I'm even thinking about a kevlar/syn. gut hybrid to tone down the power (probably a bad idea at my age but used to love it in the late 90s). I found all of the racs I've tried VERY powerful (Red99, dk red 94, blue 99, black 99).

Steve, how's the feel on these Donnay's compared to 6.0? I'm interested in their 99s as replacements for my K90s. I haven't found anything yet to compare to the Wilson box beams in terms of feel.

stevewcosta
05-27-2011, 04:26 AM
Steve, how's the feel on these Donnay's compared to 6.0? I'm interested in their 99s as replacements for my K90s. I haven't found anything yet to compare to the Wilson box beams in terms of feel.

I haven't either corners. Bottom line, nothing in the Donnay line that I've tried has come close to the feel of the 6.0 85. I'm hoping the dual cores are better. I'm tough to please though because I think the K90 has terrible feel. Could have lived with them if the balance was as good as the 6.0s. Wilson hasn't gotten it right since the 6.0 85.

v1nx
05-27-2011, 06:20 PM
It's interesting to know that nobody actually owns both Volkl Organix and Donnay. I recently got my girl a organix 6 and she likes it a lot. Tried it for an hour and I think it felt really good with the dampener on, without it, it has that pinging feeling, which is really disturbing (strung poly main at 49 & multi cross at 55).
I'm actually considering either the X295 or the Donnay silver/gold for myself. Maybe I should get both...but that'd burn a hole in my wallet..