PDA

View Full Version : Gamma 5003 solution to rough rolling tensioner.

drop shot
04-24-2004, 05:23 PM
I posted a while back about my Gamma 5003. The tensioner was riding a little rough on the track. It seemed like it was binding in some spots on the track usually about a 3 or 4 inch span. I figured that I would be needing to either replace the tensioning head or send it to tennismachines to be fixed. As a last ditch effort before sending it off, I sprayed a tiny bit of wd40 on the track where the tensioner seemed to be binding and it worked like a charm. I was careful not to get any wd40 on the brake. Now the tensioner runs as smooth as it did when I first bought it. The machine is only a year old. I have heard that you shouldn't oil oir grease the track because of the problems that might occur if any got on the brake mechanism. Should I use wd40 or is there a better lubricant? It seems to me that the track should be slightly lubricated because of the metal on metal aspect. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Steve Huff
04-25-2004, 01:24 PM
I would normally use a silicone based lubricant instead of the oil based one. You can find them at any WalMart in the automotive section, usually next to the WD 40.

drop shot
04-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks Steve! So, you don't see any harm in using a small amount of lubricant on the track?

Steve Huff
04-25-2004, 08:04 PM
No. Once the lockout is activated, the tension head isn't going to move back toward the racket anyway. You do have to be careful not to spray the brake, but if you hold the can near the middle of the stringer and spray outward, it shouldn't be any problem. Or, just get a kitchen towel and drape it over the brake disk to keep it clean.