PDA

View Full Version : Racket Suggestions

UWBTennis
05-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Hello, I'm currently looking for a fourth racket to demo. Based on reviews I have already selected the first three rackets:

Prince EXO3 Tour (18 X 20)
Dunlop Biomimetic 300 Tour
Volkl Power Bridge 10 Mid

Those three rackets I choose after reading the TW reviews, but I want to get an opinion on what I should demo for the fourth racket. I am a self-rated low 4.0 player. My forehand is a western grip that I hit with medium spin and flatten out when I'm trying to put away a short ball, my backhand is a one hander hit with a western grip (semi-western forehand upside down) that I hit with a little less spin than my forehand when the ball is chest high but I flatten out when it is below. I'm mainly an all courter that tries to use topspin to rally until I notice a short ball that I can either put away or hit an approach shot. I love playing at the net and sometimes will charge in even if I didn't hit an approach shot, so I need my racket that is good at the net. I mainly hit a topspin serve (doesn't kick up much though) and I would prefer if I can get some help with this.

My current racket is the Wilson N Code W6 Blue Steel. The unstrung specs are:

Standard length.
97 head size.
1 pts HL
10.0 oz.
16 X 20 string pattern.
Swing index of 6.0 (how your swing should be, fast and long) for those who care about that stats.

I'm mainly looking for a racket with a 90-98 head size, a 11.5-12.0 oz weight strung, it has to be HL enough to be around 320-325 swing weight, a 18 X20 string pattern (said to help with volley, and more pace but less spin on serve, so I'm not too sure yet, you can suggest one with a 16 X19 pattern instead), and a flex of less than 64, I have had occasional shoulder problems. Most importantly, it just has to fit my game. Thanks in advance for any suggestion you have.

Also, if you can answer the question of if they just give you demo strings or can you request strings and tension? I'm still haven't demo a racket from TW yet.

skiracer55
05-19-2011, 11:52 AM
...that the three you've picked out are really in the right ballpark as far as how you describe your game...but that's why we demo rackets, right? I don't think you get to specify demo strings, but in my experience, TW demo rackets usually have a pretty decent set of strings, such that you can get a reasonable feel for the racket.

For a 4th racket, you might want to try something from Head, such as this, which is what I use:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_IG_Speed_Lite/descpageRCHEAD-HSL.html

sunof tennis
05-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Head Prestige MP or Radical MP. Put a leather grip on the Radical and a little bit of weight at 3 and 9, and it will perform great as well.

TheBoom
05-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Prestige pro or mp as well

UWBTennis
05-19-2011, 05:18 PM
I forgot to mention that I'm demoing with my friend, my friend pick the Volkl and Dunlop racket, I choose the Prince and it had everything I wanted except for head size, but it received good maneuverability ratings and volleys rating so I chose it anyway. Thank you for the response so far, please mention anything else you might think that will help.

UWBTennis
05-19-2011, 05:20 PM
...that the three you've picked out are really in the right ballpark as far as how you describe your game...but that's why we demo rackets, right? I don't think you get to specify demo strings, but in my experience, TW demo rackets usually have a pretty decent set of strings, such that you can get a reasonable feel for the racket.

For a 4th racket, you might want to try something from Head, such as this, which is what I use:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_IG_Speed_Lite/descpageRCHEAD-HSL.html

Also, the speed racket has a flex rating that might be too stiff for me, and I could injure my shoulder again, which is why I'm looking for a flex softer than 64.

i_heart_ib
05-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Does anyone have a list of the highest rated rackets by Tennis-Warehouse?

That might help Mr. UWBTennis and his friend

fuzz nation
05-21-2011, 05:55 AM
I wouldn't get too hung up on string patterns, just because you might overlook a potentially great option for you. In my experience, the string pattern in a racquet is at best a mild contributor to its performance, especially up at the net. For the record, I grew up as a serve and volleyer on grass courts, so... there's that.

You look like you've already got a great list together. It might even be a good idea to just get those three frames in this round of demos so that you can pay even more attention to each one for that week that you have them. Otherwise, I'll try to think of something for option #4.

Pacific used to be Fischer and some of their racquets were plush, super-sweet players. You may want to look at their X Force Pro in either string pattern, but they have a couple other possibles.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing with Donnay, but I haven't tried out their current stuff - they're actually on the top of my list. You'd probably be smart to look over their offerings and keep in mind that they also sell separate weight kits so you can customize the heft and balance of their frames. Very interesting!

One other racquet that could be perfecta-mundo for you is the ProKennex Black Ace, probably in the 98 hoop size. They make some wonderful gear without a whole lot of hype, etc., including the Redondos (had a mid-plus and liked it a lot). Given your wish list of spec's though, the Black Ace looks like a strong candidate.

UWBTennis
05-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Which Donnay would you recommend?

da johnny boy
05-21-2011, 07:56 PM
I would suggest the Pure Storm Limited GT. This racquet is 11.9 oz strung, a flex of 59, a balance of 9 pts, an 18x20 pattern, and a head size of 95. The only issue is that it has swing weight of only 313, which is a little lower than 320 you specified.

This is my current stick, and it is very flexy. I have a similar play style to you, I hit topspin till I get a chance to hit some hard flat balls. I get pretty good spin with it, and it is pretty whippy. But, it does not help me on topspin on my serve.

Backhanded Compliment
05-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Our grips on forehand and backhand are similar... definitely try the prestige MP and Pro... Pro if you are more of a baseliner than a net rusher. I felt the dunlop 300 was just too powerful and with that full western BH you will notice that a lower powered racket lets you unload more fully... if you generate a lot of headspeed that is.

Backhanded Compliment
05-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I liked the donnay blue 99 actually... dont let the 95 side of the prestiges scare you off, I think smaller headsizes really do help one handed BH players. Check out the Dunlop 200 too.

MarinaHighTennis
05-21-2011, 08:19 PM
its my personal preference but i wouldn't touch the Dunlop. However the Prince Exo tour is a decent racket except forehands felt very awkward. Backhands, serve, and returns were amazing! I was able to hit confidently, consistently, and powerfully in those areas.

Pwer Bridge is ok if it weren't so stiff on my wrist.

UWBTennis
05-21-2011, 09:07 PM
da johnny boy: Yeah, the specs on the pure storm limited seems to check out nicely, and a lighter swing weight will just help me get more spin from the back and react faster at the net. I already hit with the pure storm tour gt and that racket give me enough on my serve but I did feel like it sometimes popped volleys at the net, hopefully this racket will do better in both the serve and volley department.

Backhanded Compliment: Yeah, that's why I only choose the Prince EXO3 Tour. Right now I'm definitely leaning toward the midplus because of the tighter string pattern it offers and the lower flex. As for the dunlop 200, I tried the one my friend had and I felt like I didn't get enough power with it, granted, he had it strung at a poly with high tension so I maybe that's why. I was leaning toward the Donnay blue 94 because of the tighter string pattern but the blue 99 doesn't sound so bad either.

MarinaHigh Tennis: Is the power bridge too stiff even with a flex rating of 59, my friend choose that racket because he has reccuring tendinitis in various areas and he wanted a comfortable racket and the reviews gave it high flex rating. What's the problem with the Dunlop, is it unstable at the net?

Thanks for all the responses so far, keep them coming:).

i_heart_ib
05-21-2011, 09:08 PM
its my personal preference but i wouldn't touch the Dunlop. However the Prince Exo tour is a decent racket except forehands felt very awkward. Backhands, serve, and returns were amazing! I was able to hit confidently, consistently, and powerfully in those areas.

Pwer Bridge is ok if it weren't so stiff on my wrist.

The power bridge is stiff? It has a flex rating of 59 though...

Fuji
05-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Just adding my little bit here.... The Volkl PB10mid is not stiff... by any means. Unless you have something like Kevlar or Lux, your body should be fine. I played with it from a friend of mine and it was great! Super soft and cozy, but it might not have the power your looking for.

I'd also check out the Wilson Prostaff Classic 6.1 if you had the ability to. It's a pretty rare frame these days, but sometimes they come up cheap on the bay. It might be right up your ally if you can get one for cheap!

-Fuji

UWBTennis
05-21-2011, 09:42 PM
How would you comment on the power level of the other rackets, as I'm just a low 4.0 level player so while I want a player's racket, I prefer it to be a little forgiving.

Fuji
05-21-2011, 09:51 PM
I haven't played with the Dunlop yet, as it hasn't hit local shops here yet, but from what I've read it has a fair bit of power on tap.

As for the Prince, I preferred the 16x18 as it is my favorite string pattern of all time. It had decent power, decent control. It was just all around a good stick. Nothing too stand out, but it did everything well.

The 18x20 was good as well, but I found it lacked the "pop" the 16 had. It might have just been me being psychological, but it seemed as though with the exact same strokes, the 16x18 gave me more depth as opposed to the 18 which gave slightly better control.

-Fuji

MarinaHighTennis
05-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Its was my friends but it felt really weird on my wrist and arm, a lot of stress on them but it was strung with pro hurricane tour at 60lbs.

ive only hit with it once.

about Dunlop its a great control racket but i just dont like it. somehow its lacking...:?

Fuji
05-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Jeebus, no wonder it felt weird on all your joints. A full poly bed at 60lbs??? That's just ridiculous!!

Try it with a good string job at an acceptable tension for mere mortals and see how it feels! LOL! :)

-Fuji

MarinaHighTennis
05-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Well i used to use Gosen polylon and they were fine but now use solinco tour bite since i got sponsored. i get more power and spin but its not as cheap. i only get half off which is around $70 compared to gosen for $30.

Power Player
05-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Which Donnay would you recommend?

Platinum volleys the best of any stick I have owned. The gold is lighter and could be ideal as well.

UWBTennis
05-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Platinum volleys the best of any stick I have owned. The gold is lighter and could be ideal as well.

How about from just the xenecore generation, the dual cores are not available on TW for demo yet.

Power Player
05-22-2011, 07:55 AM
How about from just the xenecore generation, the dual cores are not available on TW for demo yet.

I would wait it out, but in the meantime try the x blue.

UWBTennis
05-23-2011, 04:00 PM
We're going to demo halfway through June so if they can get it in stock by then. I read that the Donnay has an old school feel, how does it feel different then modern rackets as I feel comfortable with the feel of my racket, when I'm not framing that is :-P.

i_heart_ib
05-23-2011, 07:12 PM
We're going to demo halfway through June so if they can get it in stock by then. I read that the Donnay has an old school feel, how does it feel different then modern rackets as I feel comfortable with the feel of my racket, when I'm not framing that is :-P.

You forgot to tell us about your partner's skill and gamestyle. He could be a 7.0 player for all we know...

UWBTennis
05-23-2011, 07:41 PM
You forgot to tell us about your partner's skill and gamestyle. He could be a 7.0 player for all we know...

My partner is a mid 4.0 level player that has a consistent but not outstanding serve, but gets some directional control. He's a baseliner who prefers to rally until he gets a short ball then he goes for sharp angles. He has depth control off both sides (compare to me who can only get angles with his forehand). He uses a western grip on his forehand and a continental/ semi-western on his two handed backhand. He's trying to learn to finish points at the net so a racket that is can put away floaters would help him right now (compared to one that gives you more touch, which is what I'm looking for).

Any input for what rackets help him would be appreciated too.

TheBoom
05-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Its was my friends but it felt really weird on my wrist and arm, a lot of stress on them but it was strung with pro hurricane tour at 60lbs.

ive only hit with it once.

about Dunlop its a great control racket but i just dont like it. somehow its lacking...:?

I think after playing with the 300 tour for a while lead is greatly nedded but imo better than thw pure storm (non-tour non-ltd). Also the 4d 500 tour is great but the 200 was very hard for me to dial in on. Something about it i just had a hard time dialing in top spin with it so i agree there

Power Player
05-23-2011, 08:31 PM

It is just better on your arm with a bigger sweetspot. The super thin beam keeps you from framing as much also.The power level on the dual cores is definitely at modern levels.

i_heart_ib
05-24-2011, 10:37 AM
My partner is a mid 4.0 level player that has a consistent but not outstanding serve, but gets some directional control. He's a baseliner who prefers to rally until he gets a short ball then he goes for sharp angles. He has depth control off both sides (compare to me who can only get angles with his forehand). He uses a western grip on his forehand and a continental/ semi-western on his two handed backhand. He's trying to learn to finish points at the net so a racket that is can put away floaters would help him right now (compared to one that gives you more touch, which is what I'm looking for).

Any input for what rackets help him would be appreciated too.

Does anyone know any rackets that would be really good for a baseliner? There seems to be a lot of baseliners on this forum!

Fuji
05-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know any rackets that would be really good for a baseliner? There seems to be a lot of baseliners on this forum!

Power baseliner or pusher? In singles I play a counter punching game and I use my Yonex RQiS 1 Tour. It works amazing because you can really rip your shots with a ton of spin because of the lowish power. It for sure has enough on tap to finish any winners though and it's great for returning serves.

If your needing something that provides a ton of power for you, then need not apply for the RQiS1Tour, but if you have some decent speed of strokes, then it might be something worth demoing! :)

-Fuji

UWBTennis
05-24-2011, 05:59 PM
My friend can generate more power on his shot then me but not by too much. He's a pusher like andy murray style not like pushers who take a short backswing and just block the ball back that you see at the lower level. I have tried the racket before and I think the RQiS might be a little too low powered for him and me, any other suggestions?

Fuji
05-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Hmmmm.

I'm not sure how well you guys handle weight, but I would suggest any of the 6.1 line of Wilsons. They might be right up your ally. Good power, great plowthrough and great for baseliners with some power.

Also, have you tried the Head Radical? With some tweaking with lead, you might be able to find a really nice set up for someone with that style of play.

-Fuji

i_heart_ib
05-24-2011, 07:17 PM
While we're on this topic, does anyone know which rackets Tennis Warehouse gave the highest Groundstroke reviews to? I know that they gave a 85 to both the Volkl Power Bridge 10 Mid and the Prince EXO3 Tour 100, but are there any others that are really high rated in that category?

UWBTennis
05-24-2011, 08:48 PM
For the 6.1 lines, I have tried the K factors for tour and 95 (18 X 20), and I find that the tour is too low powered, and 95 is better and give enough power but both of them are hard to whip when I'm catching a shot that bounce right on the line or when I'm on the run, so I don't think I'm quite ready for those sticks just yet, maybe my friend is.

Fuji
05-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Hmmmm. I use(d) the PSC 6.1 with a 16x18 pattern. WICKED stick!! :)

-Fuji

i_heart_ib
05-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Has anyone tried the Donnay X-Blue 99? Thoughts on that racket?

UWBTennis
05-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Also, any comparison between the aerogel 4D 200 and the biomimetic 200 would be appreciated, which one would be easier for a lower level serve and volleyer.

Fuji
05-25-2011, 06:56 PM
I did a bit of reading on them, and I have a friend who's been a dedicated 200 user for the past while, and he said the differences are negligible for the price. The Bio 200 swings a LITTLE easier, and it has a bit more pop, but for the extra 80 bucks I think it is, the 4D is just as good.

-Fuji

alen_david
05-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Try all versions of the Prestige. You're ought to love at least one of them.

Fuji
05-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Try all versions of the Prestige. You're ought to love at least one of them.

To be honest, judging from his game which involves a lot of spin. (Western grips on everything, and very spinny serves), the only Prestige that fits spec wise would be the Prestige Pro. I tried the mid a few weeks ago, and albeit and amazing stick for S&V, I found it a bit lacking in the spin department.

Of course this is just IMO, and the OP should demo everything they can first, the Prestige Pro might be right up their ally in the prestige line. :)

-Fuji

alen_david
05-25-2011, 07:14 PM
To be honest, judging from his game which involves a lot of spin. (Western grips on everything, and very spinny serves), the only Prestige that fits spec wise would be the Prestige Pro. I tried the mid a few weeks ago, and albeit and amazing stick for S&V, I found it a bit lacking in the spin department.

Of course this is just IMO, and the OP should demo everything they can first, the Prestige Pro might be right up their ally in the prestige line. :)

-Fuji

The mid does produce rocket serves!

Fuji
05-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Really??? I found it to be good on serves, but I'm not much of a flat server so I can't comment on serving bombs LOL! Spin and placement is the name of the game for my serves!

-Fuji

alen_david
05-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah, a good toss and technique on a flat serve with a mid would make you smile.

Spinny huh? Nadal much? lol

UWBTennis
05-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Yeah, a good toss and technique on a flat serve with a mid would make you smile.

I actually prefer using a spin serve compared to a flat serve. While a flat serve might give me a weaker response as a serve and volleyer and help take their time away with the speed, I like the spin serve because it gives me more time to move up to the net. Also, if my opponent likes to stand far back then my serve will bounce high enough to make them give a weak response anyway.

Fuji
05-25-2011, 08:30 PM

LOL! I played with the KPS 88 for a while. I still pull it out in practice for a good slug fest. The darned thing weights 13.7oz now.

The flat bomb with a mid is great, but just not practical for a game situation with the people I play against!

-Fuji

i_heart_ib
05-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Also, any comparison between the aerogel 4D 200 and the biomimetic 200 would be appreciated, which one would be easier for a lower level serve and volleyer.

I had the same question.

Any insight would be awesome. I'm leaning towards the Biomimetic 200, but does the lack of topspin kill the deal?

i_heart_ib
05-26-2011, 09:04 PM

I've read that the platinum has a fairly high stiff rating. When you tried it out, does it feel stiff? If someone like me who has had shoulder problems, would it be best for me to avoid a racket like that?

KLE
05-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Just tumbled on this thread and I would like to recommend the Dunlop 4d 100 or the Wilson BLX Six One Tour. They are both 90 head size.

Power Player
05-26-2011, 09:14 PM
I've read that the platinum has a fairly high stiff rating. When you tried it out, does it feel stiff? If someone like me who has had shoulder problems, would it be best for me to avoid a racket like that?

TW is rating it a 61, I would say 64. I do not like stiff sticks, and I think you will be fine. Donnys are good on the joints.

UWBTennis
05-26-2011, 11:09 PM
Just tumbled on this thread and I would like to recommend the Dunlop 4d 100 or the Wilson BLX Six One Tour. They are both 90 head size.

I have played with 90 head size before, and I feel like they have too small a sweet spot for me.

UWBTennis
05-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Power Player, the Platinums are now available on TW, which head size would you recommend for me and my friend?