PDA

View Full Version : switching racket problem need help

mongoose_tennispro
05-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Ok so last summer, i bought 3 rackets from my neighbor. they were babolat pure drive roddick plus. (these were the cortex version, not the new gt ones.) they were all in pretty good condition but the guy who used them hit very hard and was about 5.0 player. i dont exactly know when he got them but i know that it was more than 3 years ago. i have used these rackets for about 1 1/2 years now and have enjoyed them very much.
i am a 4.5 player and use red code and gosen og sheep micro syn gut in the crosses at 57 pounds.
also i can feel distinct differences between them. for example on of them feels very flexible in the throat of the racket. and one of the other ones shakes and kind of rattles on off center hits.
also, his grip size is a 4 1/2 when my hand is definitely a 4 3/8. i have adapted to this but i still think a smaller grip would do me better.
i really like the solid ish feel of the roddick plus and i have not tried the gt version yet.
do you think i should switch, and get something newer?
the other day i borrowed my friends babolat pure storm ltd and i really liked that.
a few rackets i want to demo are the head ig speed 16X19, the other pure storms like the regular pure storm gt and maybe some of the new wilson blx rackets.
let me know what you think i should do....
thanks!

TheBoom
05-19-2011, 04:59 PM
You can get a grip reducer from tw if you need for the time being but i would look into demoing/buying if you want the rackets to play more closely to each other

TheOneHander
05-19-2011, 05:07 PM
If you enjoyed the solidity of the PDR+, you'll love the new GTs. They're very stable in addition to retaining the attributes of the PDRC.

fuzz nation
05-20-2011, 05:40 AM
What did the Pure Storm Ltd. do for you in comparison with the PDR+'s that you liked so much? If it's simply the case that you feel better off with a softer alternative to the PD Roddick+, the Storms are probably a smart first option for you to sample. Always nice to have a familiar grip shape when swinging a different racquet.

If you like to crack it from the baseline, you might lose some of your power with a frame that's a lot softer than your PDR's, but you might also get more control without needing an un-resilient string like a poly. One of my stronger hitting pals uses the regular PDR's and he prefers the feel of the newer GT's to the Cortex generation. He also strings with full natural gut after sustaining serious tennis elbow with a poly hybrid in those racquets.

Aside from the Babolat Storms, you could knock around with one or two other frames that are set up with a flex rating down around the low 60's to see what sort of performance you get from those.

mongoose_tennispro
05-20-2011, 12:35 PM
If you enjoyed the solidity of the PDR+, you'll love the new GTs. They're very stable in addition to retaining the attributes of the PDRC.

thanks i will definitely try the new gt versions thanks

mongoose_tennispro
05-20-2011, 12:37 PM
What did the Pure Storm Ltd. do for you in comparison with the PDR+'s that you liked so much? If it's simply the case that you feel better off with a softer alternative to the PD Roddick+, the Storms are probably a smart first option for you to sample. Always nice to have a familiar grip shape when swinging a different racquet.

If you like to crack it from the baseline, you might lose some of your power with a frame that's a lot softer than your PDR's, but you might also get more control without needing an un-resilient string like a poly. One of my stronger hitting pals uses the regular PDR's and he prefers the feel of the newer GT's to the Cortex generation. He also strings with full natural gut after sustaining serious tennis elbow with a poly hybrid in those racquets.

Aside from the Babolat Storms, you could knock around with one or two other frames that are set up with a flex rating down around the low 60's to see what sort of performance you get from those.

i really liked the soft ball pocketing that i got from the ltd. it just felt really comfortable.
thanks for your help

Fuji
05-20-2011, 09:39 PM
I just wanted to add a note here....

When I bought a PD @ 4 1/2 grip size, It was actually measured to be almost a 4 5/8. Be careful, because I've found Babolat to run up to a full grip size higher stock! :) I'm not sure if yours have stock grip or not, but it's something to be aware of none the less! :)

-Fuji

mongoose_tennispro
05-21-2011, 11:19 AM
I just wanted to add a note here....

When I bought a PD @ 4 1/2 grip size, It was actually measured to be almost a 4 5/8. Be careful, because I've found Babolat to run up to a full grip size higher stock! :) I'm not sure if yours have stock grip or not, but it's something to be aware of none the less! :)

-Fuji

that's very interesting. thank you I will check!

Fuji
05-21-2011, 12:16 PM
For sure! :) It's just something to be aware of. I noticed it a lot while I had my stint with the PD! I can play with a 4 5/8, but since 4 1/2 is my most cozy shape, it was apart of the reason why I let the PD go.

-Fuji