PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest for me a racquet

the Town Sherif
05-19-2011, 06:02 PM
4.0 all court player. Singles and doubles. Looking for a 95-100 sq racquet for good power on a semiwestern forehand and flag one handed backhand.
Need more depth on my forehand. Balls falling a bit short with my bb London.

Buckethead
05-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Yonex VCore 95D, RDiS 200 in order.

grass_hopper
05-20-2011, 04:54 AM
head new extreme MP, wilson blx open

TennisCJC
05-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Short of buying a new racket. Add two 4" strips of 1/4 lead tape - one on each side of the strings at 3 o'clock on the head and then do the same thing at 9 o'clock. That's about 4 grams total. Add two 2" strips of 1/4 lead tape - one on each side of the strings at 12 o'clock. That's another gram for a total of 5. Then unwrapped the replacement grip and add five 4" strips of lead between 5.5 and 7 inches from the end of the butt. That's another 5 grams for a total of 10 grams in the head and handle. Your BB London will now play like a beast of a racket, have roughly the same balance and a lot more stable feel. You can also lower your tensions a bit to get better depth and feel. Lead tape is cheaper than a new racket and London is a really great racket and will be even better with the customization. You could start by reducing all the measurements by 50% (2 inches instead of 4 inches) if you want to move into it more gently. But I think 5 grams in the head is about right to feel a significant increase in power and stability. The sweetspot will also be expanded wider and higher and the racket will have a higher twist weight allowing it to feel more solid on hits wide of the sweetspot - not as much flutter.

canadad
05-20-2011, 07:56 AM
I was also having depth problems with my Head Speed 18x20. In stock form I found it was too light for my tastes. I was hitting the net alot! I put lead at 3 and 9 and under the grip. It has really helped and I am now penetrating the court a whole lot better.
The great thing about lighter racquets for me is that I can play around with customization. I enjoy the tweaking process, it is part of my nature. I have heard great things about the London, perhaps do some customizing. Not only that, play around with the string set-ups, you would be surprized.

AceServer
05-20-2011, 11:07 AM
String it again with your choice of string, with less tension. Also customize it like others have already said. That will help with the power.

canadad
05-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Here is a thread that is awesome:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=309803

There is a wealth of information there.