PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it? Capping/Customizing a Radical

meowmix
05-19-2011, 09:51 PM
I currently play with a pair of MG Radical MP's- and while they're really nice sticks, I definitely need to restring and do some customization work on them (they play too light!). However, I have around 3 weeks before I go off to China for an internship, and about a week before finals crunch time comes around.

My question to you is this: is it worth restringing and customizing these sticks now, or wait until after I get back from China? I'll be stringing w/ natural gut, so the strings won't differ too much. My biggest problem is that I need to order lead, TW leather grips and CAP grommets from TW... which will take a week or so to arrive.

So, do I wait, or just do it now?

pheonix6579
05-19-2011, 09:57 PM
wait till after you can truly enjoy (or hate) the customization. don't let time dull the experience.

Datacipher
huh? lol. If it's not the strings you're worried about....then why would it matter?

Datacipher
wait till after you can truly enjoy (or hate) the customization. don't let time dull the experience.

Whaaa......seriously?

norbac
05-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Ask cleverbot.

http://cleverbot.com/

jersey34tennis
05-20-2011, 03:14 AM
they will play completely different after capping and lead, so i'd wait until whatever matches you play. i capped a flexpoint, liquidmetal, and microgel to 12.4 (flexpoint had grip build up under as well) 12.2, and 12.2 with caps and head leather grips. the microgel i think played the best out of all of them. use pacific leather grips though, they're by far the best leather grips out there today, the volkls aren't bad either but the tw are almost as tackless as the new leather grips they used on the prince exo graphites. the feel is a bit more dampened but then again i'm using polys , not gut. the plow through changes a lot and i think the flex on the racquet changes. normally the microgels seems to flex higher up in the hoop, more towards the top, but when you cap them the flex seems lower by the bottom of the hoop by the shoulder like the prince warrior. overall a worthwhile thing to do if you like heavier racquets.

Irvin
05-20-2011, 03:47 AM
I made an order late yesterday and it will ship today and arrives Tuesday. I am on the east coast too what week are you talking about? Do it now you can put on the grips, caps, and strings and fiddle with it until you get it the way you want it where ever you are. Here is a good way to customize the weight (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=378175&highlight=matching).

Irvin

pheonix6579
05-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Maybe I should clarify. if you go ahead and order all the supplies that you need for the frames you will have everything ready whenever you decide to do the work. The only downside to that is if you dont get to string them before you leave the gut is just sitting while your away (grant it, I dont know how long you will be in China). If you you wait till you get back you can get everything at one time, one shipping cost, and the gut will be "fresher," plus you can string and play with a new bed not one that has been sitting while you were away.
meowmix, have you played with a CAPed radical before? Like jersey said, the customizing you are wanting to do will turn them into TOTALLY different frames. Plus adding the CAPs isnt really a walk in the park.

meowmix
05-20-2011, 05:35 AM
I have not played a CAPPED radical before, and would like to try it.

@Irvin, the $6 UPS 5 day shipping will take... till late next week to get to NH.

After reading your comments, I think I'll wait until later to customize my sticks. Thank you everybody.

goran_ace
05-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Have you ever strung nat gut w CAP grommets before? Not one my favorite things in the world to do.

jersey34tennis
05-20-2011, 08:02 AM
i never did natural gut full set on a capped radical. one of the guys i string for gets nat in the mains and lul bb rough on the crosses of a flexpoint prestige mid, talk about a pain. the only time i use natural gut is with kevlar to soften the stringbed. i put multis and copolys in the capped radicals and i think a powerful copoly like signum pro poly plasma or isospeed pulse, even maybe polystar energy would work well in there. i feel like the firmer string brings bit more feel back into the frame. unfortunately the club i work at is only sponsored by prince or wilson so i've been fine tuning a blx blade 98 with some lead under the bumper and under the grip to about 11.8 ounces that plays pretty well. as for the prince racquets the tour 16x19 or 18 , i forget how many crosses is a decent stick with amazing spin potential but not great at volleys. when i have to use prince i'll use my old warriors. nice for feeding and volleying

Irvin
05-20-2011, 08:12 AM
...@Irvin, the $6 UPS 5 day shipping will take... till late next week to get to NH...

Two sets of gut, two CAP grommets, and two leather grips will be over $75 so two day air is free. I make sure I never have an order under $75.

Irvin

reycycle
05-20-2011, 09:15 AM
be nice to your radicals. dont capped it. i have my iradical capped, babolat leather, msv @ 58 lbs. man, i cant explain the feel of it. but, its a personal preference on what to set-up on your sticks..

meowmix
05-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Two sets of gut, two CAP grommets, and two leather grips will be over $75 so two day air is free. I make sure I never have an order under $75.

Irvin

Fair point. However, I just picked up a pair of Fairways from the bay for $13 a piece...

struggle
05-20-2011, 10:03 AM
I currently play with a pair of MG Radical MP's- and while they're really nice sticks, I definitely need to restring and do some customization work on them (they play too light!). However, I have around 3 weeks before I go off to China for an internship, and about a week before finals crunch time comes around.

My question to you is this: is it worth restringing and customizing these sticks now, or wait until after I get back from China? I'll be stringing w/ natural gut, so the strings won't differ too much. My biggest problem is that I need to order lead, TW leather grips and CAP grommets from TW... which will take a week or so to arrive.

So, do I wait, or just do it now?

i just heavied up my LM Rads to 325/325 (tw/sw), 3 pts HL for a few dollars worth of lead. maybe try that first.

note: (the specs on the LM rads, newer china models, didn't seem to match the TW specs listed to begin with. they were like 315-18/312-14, 4 pts hl vs 318/325)

edit: my listed weights are strung/ overgrip/ dampener. still, they didn't meet the specs naked/strung.

raguhtheman
05-23-2011, 04:50 AM
Didn't work for me. I like radicals a lot, with lead that is. After reading the forums, bought capped LM rad from TW. It was not the same racquet anymore. Can't explain, but liked the stock much better. Pulled out the cap grommets, back to original grommets plus lead.

If anybody wants cap grommets for half the price let me know :)