PDA

View Full Version : Where to put lead on a YT Prestige MP

BagelMe
05-20-2011, 07:05 AM
I want to put some lead tape on my racket without making the racket too heavy and sluggish. I've tried placing lead at 12 that had great results on my serve, but it felt a little too heavy, especially when playing against hard hitters. Is there a way to put lead at 12 without making it feel like a club?

I have a 1hbh so its important for me to be able to really whip the racket. Right now I feel like the prestige MP doesn't have a balance that is suited for me, although I absolutely love the racket, because a majority of the weight feels like its in the throat. Maybe I can put some lead on the handle. If so, how much should I put and where should I put it (top bottom, or middle)? By the way, I've tried a leather grip on this racket and didn't like it for some reason...so please don't suggest it.

Thanks in advance!

Bartelby
05-20-2011, 07:18 AM
one to two grams at 12 shouldn't make it into a club. For me it's already very hl.

stronzzi70
05-20-2011, 09:11 AM
15 grams lead tape at 12 right underneath the cap, then you can get more SW= More pace, more flex.

Irvin
05-20-2011, 09:20 AM
It is impossible to add 12 grams of lead in the head of a racket without making it 12 grams heavier. But if you also add weight to the handle of the racket at the same time it will counter balance the added weight in the head. 12 grams of weight though at one time is a big jump. I would add a maximum of 4 grams and also add weight to the handle to keep the balance of the racket the same at least.

But just adding weight without a reason for the modification is a waste of time. What are you looking to achieve by adding weight if you don't mind me asking?

Irvin

stronzzi70
05-20-2011, 09:36 AM
for sure same weight for the handle, I forgot that.

psycho0
05-20-2011, 09:38 AM
My favorite setup with the YPMP is 8g of lead at 3/9. The racquet still feels very maneuverable, but now it is super solid and tons of plowthrough. If you are looking for stability and more power without too much sluggishness, definitely try adding lead at 3/9.

stronzzi70
05-20-2011, 09:39 AM
I have my PT 167 A 27.5, has 15 g lead tape under the bumper, plus silicone at the handle, my SW is 375 and static weight is 360, believe me this racquet is a dream.

BagelMe
05-20-2011, 02:00 PM
It is impossible to add 12 grams of lead in the head of a racket without making it 12 grams heavier. But if you also add weight to the handle of the racket at the same time it will counter balance the added weight in the head. 12 grams of weight though at one time is a big jump. I would add a maximum of 4 grams and also add weight to the handle to keep the balance of the racket the same at least.

But just adding weight without a reason for the modification is a waste of time. What are you looking to achieve by adding weight if you don't mind me asking?

Irvin

I felt like I had more power on serves and groundstrokes with lead at 12. I am debating on whether, as you have suggested, putting lead at twelve and counter-balancing it with lead in the handle or just putting lead on the handle to make it easier to whip.

Essentially, I would like to add a little more power to my racket without making it feel too sluggish.

Irvin
05-20-2011, 02:16 PM
^^Then I would add weight in the handle and more than you did in the head. The added weight no matter where you put it makes the racket have more power. Adding weight in the handle give you a lower center of gravity and makes the racket easier to whip around for added speed and that added speed will also increase power.

Irvin

stronzzi70
05-20-2011, 03:20 PM
I had your YTK Prestige MP, great frame.
But I lost some pace and plow from my groundstrokes.
Try it, 10 g at 12 underneath the bumper and 10 g at the handle, then you have more SW = Heavy balls.

BagelMe
05-20-2011, 04:09 PM
This might be a dumb question, but does it matter if the lead tape is under the grommet or on the inside of the hoop of the frame?

BagelMe
05-20-2011, 07:27 PM
one to two grams at 12 shouldn't make it into a club. For me it's already very hl.

Yes its HL, but most of the weight is in the throat, unlike the Tour 90 rackets...which I love, but they provide little margin for error.

Bartelby
05-20-2011, 08:27 PM
As one can see from this, it lacks the weight on top (that they used for the throat):

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?racquetA=HYTPMP|98|Head|YOUTEK:Pre %20stige:MP|RCHEAD|x&racquetB=HYTPP|98|Head|YOUTEK:Pr%20estige:Pro|RCHE AD|x&racquetC=IS100|93|Yonex|RDiS:1%2000:Mid|RCYONEX|x&racquetD=KBL93|93|Wilson|KBlade:T%20our|RCWILSON|x http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/cgi-bin/storepower2.cgi?racquetA=HYTPMP|98|Head|YOUTEK:Pre stige:MP|RCHEAD|x&racquetB=HYTPP|98|Head|YOUTEK:Prestige:Pro|RCHEAD| x&racquetC=IS100|93|Yonex|RDiS:100:Mid|RCYONEX|x&racquetD=KBL93|93|Wilson|KBlade:Tour|RCWILSON|x

Backhanded Compliment
05-20-2011, 10:12 PM
You might want to try lead at 10.5 and 1.5... I use that on mine. Thuddy and my one hander likes it. I fact I choe the MP because it was very good for my 1 hander. My topspin BH and serve speed is slightly better with the prestige Pro but the slice, volley and serve accuracy is better with the MP.

lower tension poly on the strings improves return stability too.

Smasher08
05-23-2011, 06:18 PM
This might be a dumb question, but does it matter if the lead tape is under the grommet or on the inside of the hoop of the frame?

FWIW I've tried it both ways and felt that inside the hoop played more stable.