PDA

View Full Version : Youtek Speed for $75 - worth it?

Eightmarky
05-20-2011, 07:36 AM
I love my blx 18x20 but this price keeps calling to me. Am I wasting money or is it a good value/stick?

The_Question
05-20-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm also very tempted by this price as well. Good thing TW doesn't have my grip size...

canadad
05-20-2011, 08:46 AM
I really like my 18x20's, but I realize they are not for everyone. I am also tempted by this deal, it is pretty awesome.

Devilito
05-20-2011, 08:53 AM
If I was paid $75 and given a Youtek Speed Pro on the condition I couldn’t resell it and had to use it I wouldn’t take that deal. One of the worst racquets I’ve ever hit with.

canadad
05-20-2011, 09:08 AM
If I was paid $75 and given a Youtek Speed Pro on the condition I couldnt resell it and had to use it I wouldnt take that deal. One of the worst racquets Ive ever hit with.

I liked the Pro's I found I could really hammer my 1hbh with them and I thought the spin generation was great. That is just me, I also thought Agassi's denim shorts were high fashion, so what do I know.

N23
05-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Saw this too. it's almost a general principle buy for those who were on the fence.

flashfire276
05-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Oh yeah... it's gonna be worth it.
The only time I ever saw this price was in the used section! Heck, even the MG Rad is still $89. The price on the Speed lineup is ridiculous right now.
Hoping to find one in the classifieds, and see if I can haggle because of the new price on these.

in_ten_city
05-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Not worth it anymore with the price back up to $89.

canadad
05-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Ahhhhhh, Nuts! I was going to go for it.

Eightmarky
05-21-2011, 05:11 AM
Wow that's kind of crappy for TW to ninja raise the price like that. Guess they don't want the Head promo to actually apply to the sale rackets.

N23
05-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Sux but it happened with the demo Adidas Tennis racquets a while ago. Hey. Business is business.

cnr1guy
05-22-2011, 06:11 PM

So... $15 is going to change your mind on weather or not you're planning to buy a frame?

Personally, I love the Speeds... I've been playing with them for a while and plan to buy a few more even at $90 a pop. Def worth it IMO.

Dekline
05-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I would compare it to buying a soiled glove for a nickel. Only set you back 5 cents but........

I would highly highly recommend hitting with one before buying.....the feel is not for everyone.

I bought 2 of these racquets when they first came out (no demo). I thought with the specs there would be no way I would not like or atleast be acceptable. After the first day of hitting I had "buyers regret" so bad I once told someone I liked the way they played as a tear rolled down my face.

flashfire276
05-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Sux but it happened with the demo Adidas Tennis racquets a while ago. Hey. Business is business.

Oh yeah... I think they were selling it for $30 or $40 for a brand new one? Everyone started to notice, and prices hiked up to around $50.

I'm still really disappointed I didn't grab a couple of them. The specs looked really great, and some people were really happy with their racquets!

cork_screw
05-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Is everyone here on minimum wage? So saving $10 from $89-79 is more worth it than buying something that you may or may not fully be into just for the sake of buying it on sale but that proposition costing you $79 really offsets just saving $10? I don't understand that at all. I would rather pay more and get something I'm really into than buying something i'm so-so about just because it's on sale and I'm saving a VERY minimal amount. Those tricks might work on you guys, but they don't work on me. If I ever defined any situation by just $10, I think I would need to get a new job.

Bloodshed
05-23-2011, 05:38 PM
So... $15 is going to change your mind on weather or not you're planning to buy a frame?

Personally, I love the Speeds... I've been playing with them for a while and plan to buy a few more even at $90 a pop. Def worth it IMO.

I don't get the hatred for the Speeds either. I personnally think it blows the BLX 98 out of the water in everything department. Forehands are a monster, Serving unbelievably well, volleys are really good, spins really well, return of serve with this racquet is phenomenal but then again I'm a big sucker for frames that's 19mm or less. My only gripes is lack of power but lead can rectify this problem and I also having a hard time hitting 1hbh when there's topspin.

I'm actually thinking of switching my racquet to the Speed Pro.

in_ten_city
05-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I don't get the hatred for the Speeds either. I personnally think it blows the BLX 98 out of the water in everything department. Forehands are a monster, Serving unbelievably well, volleys are really good, spins really well, return of serve with this racquet is phenomenal but then again I'm a big sucker for frames that's 19mm or less. My only gripes is lack of power but lead can rectify this problem and I also having a hard time hitting 1hbh when there's topspin.

I'm actually thinking of switching my racquet to the Speed Pro.

I actually demoed the 16x19 version of the speed mp awhile back and absolutely hated the feel of it. Too stiff, too powerful, not enough shock absorption, but, I loved it on serve and at net. For 75 I was interested enough to talk myself into a buy, at 90, I just can't. For 90 bucks I would much rather get a MG Rad and just lead it up to my usual specs (love the feel of that stick).

bertrevert
05-24-2011, 03:12 AM
With the Speeds - surely they are an interesting series. I like the fact that the 100 sq in actually feels small and concentrated, that is that the sweetspot is fairly small and that the racq doesn't feel or perform like a snowshoe. I like also the breadth of the range - there are some fairly different tastes catered for. They should settle down its paint scheme! :)

Eightmarky
05-24-2011, 07:28 AM
If I ever defined any situation by just $10, I think I would need to get a new job.

Is that what you would recommend to the subjects of this article about a pay crisis in Spain?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43089395

MesQueUnClub
05-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Got the new racquet today. Going to hit later, if the rain stays away.

LafayetteHitter
05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I think that if the 15 dollar price difference takes someone away from a racquet they were apparently not that interested and just buying it because it's cheap. Not a good idea.

Hankenstein
05-25-2011, 12:35 AM
I also ordered 4 of those frames from TW Europe and got em yesterday. Will try them as soon as this rain stays away so our fragile claycourts can finally dry up enough so we can play on them.

Those frames felt SO GOOD just when i had them in my hand. Sometimes u can just feel that a racquet feels good when you pick it up, that the balance and weight is so spot on. Will be very interesting to so what it will be like. Im also playtesting customized Babolat Pure Storm Tour GTs side by side wuth those youtek speed pros.

cnr1guy
05-25-2011, 07:32 AM
I also ordered 4 of those frames from TW Europe and got em yesterday. Will try them as soon as this rain stays away so our fragile claycourts can finally dry up enough so we can play on them.

Those frames felt SO GOOD just when i had them in my hand. Sometimes u can just feel that a racquet feels good when you pick it up, that the balance and weight is so spot on. Will be very interesting to so what it will be like. Im also playtesting customized Babolat Pure Storm Tour GTs side by side wuth those youtek speed pros.

They are great frames indeed!

HEADfamilydynasty
06-20-2011, 09:38 AM
I ordered one when it was $99. DEFINITELY worth it. I,m looking to buy another regardless of the price.

DonBot
06-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Demoed it thinking the same thing-great bargain at current price- dead wrong--possibly one of the worst feeling rackets I have ever hit with.

Praetorian
06-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Different stroke for different folks I guess. When I demoed the racket, for me, I just didn't jive with the balance, or feel. So for me, it's $75 dollars would be better used on a good steak dinner - at least I'd be happy with the purchase.

UWBTennis
06-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I think it would be helpful if the OP mentioned the kind of game he played.

Facepalm
06-20-2011, 10:48 AM
The previous YOUTEK version felt very similar to the Prestige Pro yet with slightly more power and lots more spin potential when I was playtesting them a year ago. Feel has always been great for me.

Facepalm
06-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Demoed it thinking the same thing-great bargain at current price- dead wrong--possibly one of the worst feeling rackets I have ever hit with.

Continuing my previous post, maybe it was the strings in the demo you tried? Poly makes it feel like Hell, but poly makes everything feel like Hell. :p

Ronaldo
06-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Different stroke for different folks I guess. When I demoed the racket, for me, I just didn't jive with the balance, or feel. So for me, it's $75 dollars would be better used on a good steak dinner - at least I'd be happy with the purchase.

$75 for a steak dinner? Can get 10 Steak Dinners at the Waffle House for $75. The best square steaks ever.

http://cm.evri-img.com/feeds/GRJjG4rTFDuh9lqVtIefq2bQDo-tqA/xl.jpg

user92626
06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
There are so many "series" out there so the Speed simply escaped my sight. But now that I've taken a closer look, it's one of the best, most accomodating series and it's got even better with its low price.

Its color schemes are cool and unoffensive. Head shape and beams are cool. There's at least one racket that fits anyone's style. The Elite is for me. I probably can't handle the 11.5+ sticks. The lite is for ...ladies and ultra newcomers..I guess.

I don't understand why people don't stock up on these. :)