PDA

View Full Version : *New* Head Youtek IG Instinct MP

TW Staff
05-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Head Youtek IG Instinct MP
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/8858/headinstinctmp1.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/headinstinctmp1.jpg/)

http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/386/headinstinctmp2.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/807/headinstinctmp2.jpg/)

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2278/headinstinctmp3.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/headinstinctmp3.jpg/)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5039/headinstinctmp4.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/headinstinctmp4.jpg/)

flashfire276
05-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Saw these on your Facebook uploads!
My gosh... beautiful shots for a beautiful racquet. Kind of miss the gold, but the blue is stunning.
Can't wait to try it out. Thanks TW!

Jaewonnie
05-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Nice! Any updates on when the Radical and Prestige will get Innegrated? :p

Shangri La
05-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Very nice pictures - may I ask what camera was used? I know it's the photographer not the racquet I mean camera, but as a gearhead I have to ask :)

It looks HEAD has completely re-designed the Instinct, from cosmetics to specs. So how is it supposed to play like and what are its target players?

nalvarado
05-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Looks AMAZING.

EDIT: Tron Racquet.

A_Instead
05-20-2011, 05:05 PM
TW,
Whats the specs?
Thanks

JackB1
05-20-2011, 05:54 PM
When will you guys get one in person? Any more info on specs or when it will be available.

weksa
05-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Grommets 7 and 8, at both head and throat, are shared grommets: they run both mains and crosses. Interesting.

canadad
05-20-2011, 08:28 PM
One of the best cosmetics I have seen in years! The Sharapova endorsement will make these sell like never before.

Fed Kennedy
05-20-2011, 11:30 PM
There is like a volkl style BIG grommet going on at 3 and 9...what the flex rating?

Bartelby
05-21-2011, 12:31 AM
From other sub-forum, all 16/19:

Head Youtek IG Instinct:
Head size: 100 sq. in
Weight: 10.9 ounces
Balance: 5 points head light
Stiffness: 69
Swingweight: 303

Head Youtek IG Instinct S
Head size: 102 sq. in
Weight: 9.9 ounces
Balance: 1 point head heavy
Swingweight: 288

TW Staff
05-21-2011, 07:49 AM
When will you guys get one in person? Any more info on specs or when it will be available.

Head left us a couple of hitters of each (Kana took pictures of them), so the (strung) specs that Bartleby re-posted are based off those hitters.

We had a nice hit with them. Nice, versatile sticks with good comfort. A nice blend of control, power and spin. However, they were strung up with a new string from Head so I'm not sure how much the string/tension factored in to the feel/playability of the racquet. I will be interested to try them with a more familiar string and tension. That being said, I like the racquets. I also like the handle shape as it is like the Speed racquets-more round than rectangular.

The racquets will be available for sale in July.

Spencer, TW.

JackB1
05-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Head left us a couple of hitters of each (Kana took pictures of them), so the (strung) specs that Bartleby re-posted are based off those hitters.

We had a nice hit with them. Nice, versatile sticks with good comfort. A nice blend of control, power and spin. However, they were strung up with a new string from Head so I'm not sure how much the string/tension factored in to the feel/playability of the racquet. I will be interested to try them with a more familiar string and tension. That being said, I like the racquets. I also like the handle shape as it is like the Speed racquets-more round than rectangular.

Spencer, TW.

Thanks for the info Spencer! I am surprised they took the stiffness all the way up to 69 from 65. One of the nice things about the YT Instinct is it's comfort and smooth feel. I hope they didn't lose that. I like the Speed handle shape...great change IMO as I always modded the old shape anyway.
Looks like the weight is unchanged. Wish they added a few grams, but I can do that with tape. Does the racquet feel really light and whippy in stock form?

Will u guys be doing a review on it? I am hoping this new update will bring this great underrated stick the attention it deserves. It is a perfect middle ground between tweener and players racquet IMO. Perfect for 3.5-4.5's.

tom4ny
05-21-2011, 12:04 PM
it does look like the new instinct is inching closer to the speed series and further away from the radical. the radical mp is my fav head stick.

having grown up playing european frames i like the rectangular grip shape! but i understand if you are not used to it.

anyway, i'm quite looking forward to july then :)

nalvarado
05-21-2011, 11:03 PM
That string/racket color combo is by far the best I have ever seen.

Doublebounce
06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
What string is this? Luxilon Fluoro ice color?

Boomgoesthedynamite
06-01-2011, 03:22 PM
In person, this racquet is so beautiful. I hit w/ it today for about 10 minutes and it generates a ton of power w/ my flat forehand style. It's very easy on the arms and shoulders. It has a very soft feel, but not muted due to IG technology? Surprisingly, it feels very light, but strung weight is about 11oz so it's not exactly a light racquet. It's 1 point HL.

The racquet came prestrung from Head mains and crosses w/ different strings and different tensions. I don't know what strings they used and tension, but somewhere around 51-52 would be my guess. The rec'd tension range is 47-58. It's 100sq inch and 27 standard length.

It'll be available from my tennis store begins July.

JackB1
06-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Sounds great. Can't wait till this puppy comes out.

BobFL
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
They completely killed the Instinct spirit with 16x19. Maybe to match Maria's custom racquet and boost sale? Btw, shared holes are just weird looking in today's racquets :)

vsbabolat
06-01-2011, 05:07 PM
They completely killed the Instinct spirit with 16x19. Maybe to match Maria's custom racquet and boost sale? Btw, shared holes are just weird looking in today's racquets :)

Agree shared holes today is really weird. They are not making friends with any stringers. I think they have lost it with these shared holes. I think the last Head racquet to have shared holes was the Graphite Edge.

Facepalm
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I'll make sure to play in my Tron suit with that.

in_ten_city
06-01-2011, 06:44 PM
We had a nice hit with them. Nice, versatile sticks with good comfort. A nice blend of control, power and spin. However, they were strung up with a new string from Head so I'm not sure how much the string/tension factored in to the feel/playability of the racquet. I will be interested to try them with a more familiar string and tension.

Spence, you guys know any details of the new string from head?

zapvor
06-02-2011, 03:57 AM
i totally thought it was going to be gold still. wow

Fedace
06-02-2011, 04:05 AM
From other sub-forum, all 16/19:

Head Youtek IG Instinct:
Head size: 100 sq. in
Weight: 10.9 ounces
Balance: 5 points head light
Swingweight: 303

Head Youtek IG Instinct S
Head size: 102 sq. in
Weight: 9.9 ounces
Balance: 1 point head heavy
Swingweight: 288

looks like insane good racket. I like to extend both by 0.3 inches making it 27.3 inches. do you guys think it will affect the racket that much if i do that. i think at 27.3 inches, it would be perfect racket.... SI of 69 is basically PERFECT since i got used to SI of 72 by using Pure drive GT plus. :)
SW of 303 is pretty good if true. I figure by extending it, it will increase the SW by about 5-8 ??

Fedace
06-02-2011, 04:09 AM

Spencer, TW.

Thanks Spencer, you are the best. do you think it will be available for Pre-sale in june ?? and Barteby's specs look like it is a bit of Tweener racket. Am i correct in saying this ? and i will sometimes modify the racket by making the 27 inche racket to 27.3 inches. Do you think this will change the specs tremendously ??:confused:

JackB1
06-02-2011, 04:59 AM

Nah! 18x19 was just plain weird and didn't make sense in a tweener racquet.

I agree, what's up with the shared holes? I hope it's not a PIA to string.

JackB1
06-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Thanks Spencer, you are the best. do you think it will be available for Pre-sale in june ?? and Barteby's specs look like it is a bit of Tweener racket. Am i correct in saying this ? and i will sometimes modify the racket by making the 27 inche racket to 27.3 inches. Do you think this will change the specs tremendously ??:confused:

The Instinct always was a tweener, but more of a "player's tweener". Not overly powered and never too stiff or with really thick beams. Just a notch down from the Radical. I never understood why it wasn't more utilized by 3.0-4.0 players? Maybe things will change with the new model being endorsed by Maria?

My only issue with the racquet is it's light weight. But I used to add 4" of lead at both 3/9 to the YT Instinct and that made things right. Stock, it's just too light and whippy. I look to make mine 11.7 oz when all is said and done.

Fedace
06-02-2011, 05:35 AM
The Instinct always was a tweener, but more of a "player's tweener". Not overly powered and never too stiff or with really thick beams. Just a notch down from the Radical. I never understood why it wasn't more utilized by 3.0-4.0 players? Maybe things will change with the new model being endorsed by Maria?

My only issue with the racquet is it's light weight. But I used to add 4" of lead at both 3/9 to the YT Instinct and that made things right. Stock, it's just too light and whippy. I look to make mine 11.7 oz when all is said and done.

what if i made it Extra length 27.3 inches or so ?

JackB1
06-02-2011, 05:46 AM
what if i made it Extra length 27.3 inches or so ?

Well then it would be a few points heavier swingweight and a little more headlite and slightly heavier overall. I really see no reason to do that myself though. When you extend racquets, it makes it easier to get jammed on balls close to your body.

grass_hopper
06-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Hit with MP last night, great on feel, solid racquet, stable on off center shots. feels heavy compare to APDC GT, but that could be because of Head light balance.
keeping this one around for a while.

Carolina Racquet
06-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Agree shared holes today is really weird. They are not making friends with any stringers. I think they have lost it with these shared holes. I think the last Head racquet to have shared holes was the Graphite Edge.

It will be interesting to see how they grommet the shared holes. It will be ok if the grommet is "split" in the shared hole to easily accommodate two strings. This is what Prince did with their TT Warrior and there's no problem stringing it.

Wouldn't fewer holes mean better frame integrity? Seems like some of the structural failures I've seen have been in an area of the frame where two holes are close together (ex: 10 and 2 o'clock).

JackB1
06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Hit with MP last night, great on feel, solid racquet, stable on off center shots. feels heavy compare to APDC GT, but that could be because of Head light balance.

how did u get it so early?

Fedace
06-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Feels Heavy ??? APDC is also head light. and also if more head light, it should feel easier to swing and feel lighter,,,no ????:confused:

etd
06-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Got to hit with the Youtek Instinct IG MP for about 5 minutes against a ball machine at my local tennis store.

This is a nice racquet, but it is very different from the Microgel and the old Youtek Instinct. Someone mentioned on another thread that this racquet reminded him of the Head Ventoris from 20 years ago. I agree with this statement ... the new Instinct is a lighter, more dampened version (must be the Innegra fiber) of the Ventoris.

This racquet is extremely manueverable. It is very headlight. Also, the beam is very thin in height so it cuts through the air fast.

Even though the stiffness rating for the new Instinct is supposed to be higher than the Microgel/old Youtek versions, it doesn't feel that way. Part of this must be due to the very open 16X19 string pattern and the very low recommended string tension range (something like 48-57 or 47-58 pounds). The new Head FXP Tour string in the demo also feels very soft.

Although this racquet has Youtek technology, the Youtek effect is not as pronounced on this racquet compared to other Head racquets like the Speed line.

I still need to demo this on a court to test volleys, serves, and stability, but so far I am pleased with this racquet. It does swing very light so I am sure it will need some weight customization.

grass_hopper
06-03-2011, 11:21 AM
the stiffness and feel of hitting with new instinct reminds me of wilson 95 which is 12.1 oz, while instinct is 11.2 oz, because it's only 1 pt HL, it feels much heavier, the APDC feels very head light and swings much faster, I guess the swing weight of Instinct to be 327 or 330 and APDC about 320.